Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / How do you get into a new record?
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 9:00 am

What sorts of activities do you do while listening to a new record? Cause if I do anything that's too involved, I won't really pay attention to the record. Good activities for me are doing dishes, driving (won't work for new LPs), or playing Nintendo.

Also, it took me 3 or 4 years of not fully digesting all 9 CDs of the Stax box set before I realized I could listen to 'em in the shower every morning. That worked pretty good.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 9:04 am

makin dinner while blasting the thing
always works
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 9:39 am

Once I've listened to a record enough to realize I need to really pay attention (anywhere from 1 spin to 50 spins) I actually sit down and listen to it without doing anything else. Otherwise it's only half paid attention to.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 9:44 am

You give records 50 chances to grow on you? Wow. That is great. No shit.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 10:32 am

I have a chair that has a cup holder in the arm rest. I usually get myself a thermos of tea, put on a record, pull my awesome cup hoder arm rest chair in front of my record playing setup, sit down, sip on tea and enjoy the record. if the record comes with cool inserts and lyric sheets, I will sit there and read the lyrics or just look at all the cool artwork. i also have a footrest stool.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 12:07 pm

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 12:09 pm

One leg at a time, just like everybody else.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 12:19 pm | Edited by: Crowbar

I have a chair that has a cup holder in the arm rest. I usually get myself a thermos of tea, put on a record, pull my awesome cup hoder arm rest chair in front of my record playing setup, sit down, sip on tea and enjoy the record. if the record comes with cool inserts and lyric sheets, I will sit there and read the lyrics or just look at all the cool artwork. i also have a footrest stool.

That is the gayest thing I have ever heard. TEA?? Why not light some incense candles and draw up a bubble bath while you're at it? Go ahead, YOU DESERVE IT.

P.S. Just kidding I think that sounds really cool.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 12:30 pm

used to be bong hits
nowadays i listen to new records while watching baseball with the vol down - i guess i need to return to bong hits for the next 6 months
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 12:48 pm

What Josh said, minus the tea (unless I've got some!), plus maybe an illegal substance and/or a beer. I usually make a big deal out of hearing a record for the first time, so I make sure to get all comfortable 'n stuff, without any distractions, then put it on and listen away, usually while staring at the sleeve.

Otherwise, if I'm in a car, I blast it real loud so there are no distractions. That's one of my favorite ways to digest new music. I hate when people try to turn down my car stereo or constantly try talking when I'm blasting music in the car. Shut up!
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 12:48 pm

Lighting candles and turning the lights low rules too! I'm gay!
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 1:19 pm

I drink beer. Causes problems when I get sloppy and gouge records with the needle.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 1:25 pm

What Josh said, minus the tea (unless I've got some!), plus maybe an illegal substance and/or a beer. I usually make a big deal out of hearing a record for the first time, so I make sure to get all comfortable 'n stuff, without any distractions, then put it on and listen away, usually while staring at the sleeve.

SAME.

Otherwise, if I'm in a car, I blast it real loud so there are no distractions. That's one of my favorite ways to digest new music. I hate when people try to turn down my car stereo or constantly try talking when I'm blasting music in the car. Shut up!

SAME.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 1:33 pm

I hate when people try to turn down my car stereo or constantly try talking when I'm blasting music in the car.

Todd has done this to me a few times back in Crappleton. Todd, what the hell is wrong with you? he also got really mad at me once for blasting WU TANG in the car while he was with me. I slapped his hand away but it didnt work. He just kept YELLING!
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 1:44 pm

I don't remember ever doing that, but I do know that you would blast shit at retarded volume (as opposed to merely loud).

I get bored, even if I'm winded to the bejesus, just sitting there and listening to a record for the first time. I usually play it loud and do other stuff. Sometimes when it ain't ringing my bell, I'll pick up the needle and sample the songs. I have trouble sitting still. When I was a kid and only got a few records a month (often ordered overseas a month or two earlier) and hadn't heard much of the ol punk rock, I'd stare at the artwork/liners and listen closely to every song, if I liked it or not. And play my new records over and over and over. Not anymore. Though I've listened to the Wax Museums LP about 20-30 times over the last week.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 1:47 pm

i love blasting records loud as fuck! party cuz i think im sorta def.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 3:12 pm

PARTY!!!!
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 3:19 pm

BLACK TIME!
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 3:41 pm

you people actually play those things?

fuck that....as soon as you pull off the shrink wrap the value depreciates horribly
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 4:45 pm

You give records 50 chances to grow on you? Wow. That is great. No shit.

Well, not exactly. I just usually throw on a new record while I'm doing something around the house which means I'm not really paying attention. I'll get a feeling for it, but there are records I've had for over a year (sometimes longer) before it's really hit me in the face how awesome it is.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 4:56 pm

if you just rub your penis on the inside of the sleeve, you can catch the vibes the band is throwing at ya...no need to listen
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 5:26 pm

I drink beer. Causes problems when I get sloppy and gouge records with the needle.
I've fucked up more new records that way. It helps identify them when they get lent out and forgotten though.
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 5:44 pm

sitting down and listening to it or driving
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 6:18 pm

It helps identify them when they get lent out and forgotten though.

i've had that forgotten loan problem far too many times, now i say, "do i look like a fucking librarian?" heck, i'd be more apt to loan you money so you can buy your own copy than let one of my records leave the premises in the hands of another unreliable, scratch happy motherfucker.
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 7:55 am

Also, it took me 3 or 4 years of not fully digesting all 9 CDs of the Stax box set before I realized I could listen to 'em in the shower every morning. That worked pretty good.

If you happen to mail anything up this way or we meet up again anytime in the near future, you should xerox us the cover/ back cover - track listing for disc #4. We seemed to have lost ours. I'm kinda bummed to not have the original, but would be happy to at least have a copy of it.

My favorite way to get into a new record, is listening to it through headphones and if possible being semi intoxicated while doing so.
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 11:40 am

Will-do, man! Plus, I got all your records back from Jose, so I'll send 'em along sometime soon!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 12:04 pm

My two favourite methods are whilst lying on my bed watching relaxing sports such as golf, snooker and darts, or whilst lying on my bed cracking one off to adult phone-in show 'Party Girls' on Smile TV. This never used to start until 3am, but now they have a new show from 9pm to 5am. I prefer it when they don't just wear underwear.
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 3:11 pm

you have to be extremely thin!!!! to get into a record. lp's are like an 8th of an inch thick.
-chris
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 3:35 pm

I have to cut the hole out like twice as large!

Unless it's a 45...
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 6:03 pm

i usually like to either cook or drive while listening, but that's if i'm sober. now if i'm all drinkin' and smokin', then just layin around with some headphones on or blastin it over the speakers works well (dependin on whether or not the roommates are home. they aren't into the same stuff as me so i can't be too loud if they're home.)
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 8:31 am | Edited by: Minus Matt

Will-do, man! Plus, I got all your records back from Jose, so I'll send 'em along sometime soon!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I thought I just threw 100+ dollars away, didn't expect to ever see those again! Thanks a ton! Do you want some postage money? If you have paypal, I can send it to you. Elaine will be very happy to hear this! Thanks again. Very cool!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®