Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / SAN DIEGO--who knows what about it?
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 4:15 am

i am determined to live in california in this lifetime.

i have turned into a fat frau in berlin. in fact, i need money and i'm thinking my best chance is to rent myself out as The Human Pillow.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 9:21 am

san diego

relatively good clean air
has a famous zoo
nearby to marine base
politically conservative
has a University of California and a California State University
minutes away from Tijuana
3 hour drive from LA because the traffic on the san diego freeway is always a parking lot (tho i know how to get from LA to SD without ever getting on the freeway until the final 5 miles)

however, i haven't been to san diego since 1986, so without a doubt MUCH of it has changed, thus apart from the broad strokes, i know nothing
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 9:28 am

also, last i heard, completely bankrupt.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 9:46 am

shamu lives there
you can't drink on the beach
the bars are full of hipster shitbags
huge navy base if you arre in to buff dudes
food sucks >>bring your own salt
BUT........
GLEN DANZIG LIVES THERE!!!!!!!
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 9:54 am

Posted: Sep 16, 2008 10:03 am

All I know, is that it is on my list of places I want to visit.

Keep the info coming........
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 10:14 am

Washington Street Park, under the bridge, is fun to skate and very gnarly.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 10:17 am

food sucks >>
but you're so close to actual mexico.... who cares?
tijuana is obviously for tourists, but even 30 minutes past tijuana and its awesome.

baja california - apart from the resorted-out or super touristy locales still has some NATURE
and super cheap "lobsters"
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 10:28 am

THREES COMPANY!
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 11:08 am

Ugly Things mag comes from San Diego, so it can't be ALL bad!
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 11:20 am

I'm from there, well partly- spent most of my formative years there. It's a toss up- partly it's enjoyable- there's the great weather, good food (mexican food specifically) if you know where to go, easy access to Mexico, decent beaches, however, it's expensive as fuck, and the more I go back there to visit I remember why I moved away. The people there are not very friendly and it's a very self-absorbed city. And yes, every year I go back there are more and more hipster shitbags. BUT it's not all bad- I particularly like Hillcrest, parts of downtown, North Park, Normal Heights and Old Town is okay if you want to be a big tourist and drink margaritas the size of your head. Those are the areas I grew up in and there are good things to be found if you know where to look.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 12:27 pm

I was born and raised there. Love it!
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 12:36 pm

huge navy base if you arre in to buff dudes

Unsurprisingly, Rob Halford lives there.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 12:38 pm

Posted: Sep 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Most "perfect" weather in the country, if you like 78 degrees and sunny. Great ocean swimming.
Expensive and really divided, culturally.
Conservative military town. Not a bad scene despite that -- probably because of the students.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Most "perfect" weather in the country

I have to agree. Spent a week there last year, didn't really like it overall during my admittedly short trip (food, people, culture), but it's nearly impossible to knock the weather. Unless you "like the seasons" as so many of us northerners say when attempting to defend brutal winters.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 2:04 pm

I like to visit SD. The beaches are pretty and I like that it's so close to Baja. However, a A LOT of people I know here in the Bay Area are from SD and they always tell me how boring it is down there. They say the only things they really miss about SD are the weather and the burritos, which don't have rice in them.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 2:07 pm

the burritos, which don't have rice in them.

Exactly! No beans either.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 2:23 pm

insanely expensive. a few good record stores. if my ex ever moves out of sd county i'm totally on the first bus down there.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 2:23 pm

man now i'm craving pokeez something fierce.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 2:33 pm

the burritos, which don't have rice in them.

Exactly! No beans either.

SD burritos> SF Burritos

I don't mind beans too much, but rice does not belong in a burrito. I always order mine sans-rice up here because rice in a burrito is nothing but filler. It's the equivalent of getting a hamburger with a bun twice the diameter of the patty.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 2:48 pm

is san francisco still wicked expensive?
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 3:02 pm

is san francisco still wicked expensive?
It's a little cheaper than it used to be, but it's still the 2nd most expensive market in the US. I wouldn't move there. The cost just doesn't seem to justify what you get. I live in Oakland, though, and think everything is a rip-off.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 3:08 pm

i thought oakland was civilized now, but i heard tell recently that it is definitely not. is this true?
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 3:30 pm

i thought oakland was civilized now, but i heard tell recently that it is definitely not. is this true?
Civilized? Do you mean do we eat with knife and fork and wipe when we go to the bathroom? Or do you mean does it have high crime? Or do you mean is it "happening"?
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 3:35 pm

in my opinion, the east bay has always been "happening"
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 4:03 pm

THREES COMPANY!

Actually Threes Company is set in L.A. (or maybe Santa Monica/Venice Beach) I always thought it was San Diego too, until after I started catching reruns after having moved to L.A. I guess they just went to the zoo one day.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 4:26 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

Actually Threes Company is set in L.A. (or maybe Santa Monica/Venice Beach) I always thought it was San Diego too, until after I started catching reruns after having moved to L.A. I guess they just went to the zoo one day.
It was indeed set in Santa Monica. (That zoo is the Griffith Park Zoo in LA.) It's funny that the opening credits is the only time they were ever seen in the real outside world. They never left the set on the actual show.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 4:58 pm

I spent a few days in SD a few years back. I went to the touristy Gaslight district for drinks, but after a couple of tips from locals I found an awesome dive just a couple of blocks away - can't remember the name of it.

Also saw a great little band from LA, the Red Onions, at the Casbah. Nice club.

Good football team.

Kansas City Barbecue was pretty cool, too, but it burned down earlier this year.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 5:30 pm | Edited by: skank police

My parents are from San Diego, La Jolla specifically. My grandparents were blue collar La Jollains, which is a complete impossibility now. I was born there, and spent nearly every vacation there until I was 18. Great memories, gorgeous beaches. You won't find better fish tacos ouside of Baja. One of the prettiest places I could never live. I grew up in Northern Cali and it is a far superior place to call home. Oakland is awesome. Tacos and Dim Sum, cool neighborhoods, close to the city...and few to no blonde 58 year olds with diamonds, boob jobs and little dogs driving Ferraris...
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 5:33 pm

little dogs driving Ferraris...
Does one dog man the steering wheel while 3 others sit on the floor controlling the gas, brake, and clutch? I'll totally move to SD if they have this down there.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 5:41 pm

HANG OUT AT THE TOP GUN BAR!!! IT'S THE TOPS!!!!
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 6:11 pm

I went to the touristy Gaslight district for drinks, but after a couple of tips from locals I found an awesome dive just a couple of blocks away - can't remember the name of it.
You mean the Gaslamp District downtown- I wonder if the bar you speak of is the Star Bar right next to Horton Plaza? I hadn't been there for years and recently went and was disappointed by the dude fest brodeo happening there- it used to be such a nice transient/old man bar.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 6:26 pm

little dogs driving Ferraris...
Does one dog man the steering wheel while 3 others sit on the floor controlling the gas, brake, and clutch?

Ha! Nah, they just scootch shit marks on the leather interior, and lick their privates...
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 11:47 pm

I just miss any fast food that ends in ERTO'S.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 11:47 pm

oh yeah, and san diego used to be the speed captitol of the US, until the midwest totally stepped it up!
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 12:42 am

well, i really want to live in san francisco, but i don't think i can afford it on my own: buying a decent little house and living like a human being.

i have dear girlfriends there, though, so who knows? nothing like the notion of family to bring you back home.

and speaking of family, i could eviscerate myself for that thread i posted a year ago about them tugging and pulling on me. their ropes are rad dope!!
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:00 am

not the last time i was there but the time before that some 50-something dude came up to me and the ex at the turf club and invited us back to his houseboat to do coke and hookers. SAN DIEGO RON!!!!
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:25 am

LOBSTER TACOS
hookorcrook
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:50 am

i grew up there...well oceanside/vista area north county but nonetheless...the rule used to be to tell everyone it sucks so no one else moves there, but that was blown. this is like the 5th time i have seen this identical subject on here, better to find the old ones..
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 2:01 am

the fucking Lawrence Welk Resort is in Escondido and I've stayed there!

omg Nunsense II was a riot
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 2:59 am

I've been living in SD for eleven years. Yes, it sucks, don't ever come here. Who cares about year round sunshine, beautiful sandy beaches, mountain biking, showboarding in nearby Big Bear, surfing, carne asada, bbq's, camping, baja Mexico (TJ, Tecate, Rosarito, Ensenada), fish tacos, kayaking, partying on rooftops, fresh air...

Yes, stay away, please! Seriously. Nothing to see here.
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 4:35 am

he fucking Lawrence Welk Resort is in Escondido and I've stayed there!

Have you ever read R Meltzer's account of his stay there? "All the tired geezers in the sun" is wot it's called, think it's in Aging Rhythm and mebbe his reader, A Whore Like All The Rest... here's to encroaching geezer-ism! As long as I don't have to wear those puffy white shoes with the velcro straps...
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 11:12 am

Rob Halford lives there!
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 11:42 am

I wonder if the bar you speak of is the Star Bar

That sounds familiar...that was probably the place...
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 12:08 pm

Who cares about:
[i]year round sunshine
I DO!
beautiful sandy beaches not me
mountain biking not me
showboarding in nearby Big Bear not me
surfing, not me
carne asada, I DO!
bbq's,[/i} I DO! (but you're getting the raised eyebrow if you're trying to sell sd based on bbq. o_O )
[i]camping,
not me
baja Mexico (TJ, Tecate, Rosarito, Ensenada), I DO!
fish tacos, not me
kayaking, not me
partying on rooftops, not me. (partying increases gravity's effect on me)
fresh air... not me.

and it's not like sd has a monopoly on half the things you listed.
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 12:34 pm

well, i really want to live in san francisco, but i don't think i can afford it on my own: buying a decent little house and living like a human being.

i have dear girlfriends there, though, so who knows? nothing like the notion of family to bring you back home.

Just checked out this site and see tons of foreclosures going for relatively cheap.
http://www.trulia.com

Turn someone's misery and despair into unadulterated joy for you!!
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 4:32 pm

Petco Park looks awesome
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 6:47 pm

Did they ever catch the Zodiac killer?
Posted: Nov 8, 2008 2:58 pm

i want to live in the state where bands make music like this:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&frien did=65317862
Posted: Nov 8, 2008 7:56 pm

I\'m gonna be there next weekend! Any recommendations on the best places to get these fabled burritos???
Posted: Nov 8, 2008 9:36 pm

Posted: Nov 10, 2008 11:36 am

Any recommendations on the best places to get these fabled burritos???

pokeez.
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 11:54 am

I\'m gonna be there next weekend! Any recommendations on the best places to get these fabled burritos???
Any taco stand by the name of Adalberto's, Roberto's, Alberto's or anything else with an -erto on the end. Hard to go wrong.
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 7:35 pm

Back in the nineties I thought S.D. was alright, but the last few times I've been there it's sucked. This is corroborated by people I know who live/have lived there. The place is crawling with two kinds of people; selfish assholes who don't wanna pay taxes and christian conservative morons who don't wanna pay taxes.
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 11:19 am

San Diego definitely has the best weather in the states and its considered to have a Mediterranean climate so yeah it can attract some lame people and shit can be really expensive if you're into that. I dont blame people that think San Diego sucks when they've only been to downtown, North County or Pacific Beach. Any place can suck when certain spots attract a shitload of tourists & yuppies and yeah, they jack up prices there.

Being Mexican and growing up in Southern California with roots in Northern California, I can easily say that San Diego has the 2nd best Mexican food in California. 1st being the desert region where me & pseudo pion are from. Anything ending in "ertos" is good but check out Las Cuatro Milpas right by Chicano park. Its like if my Nana & Tias opened up a little restaurant.

As a skater, theres a reason why a lot of the skate industry is in San Diego. As far as rent, you wont get Midwest or Southern kinda rent but its definitely not as expensive as San Francisco. Its probably about the same kinda rent as LA (maybe even cheaper) but without the LA traffic. You can get some traffic in North County or goin down South sometimes but for the most part traffic aint shit. Everything is like 15 minutes away.

As far as music & bars, the Rock 'n Roll scene in San Diego is really good. Check out Thirsty Moon, Record City, & Taang! 3 record stores in a 3 block radius. My favorite record store is down in Tijuana on calle 6ta & Revolucion called La Ciruela Electrica.

Cool bars/venues are the Tower Bar, Ken Club, Casbah, The Radio Room, Livewire.

And for the most part, the majority of people are pretty fucking cool and really mellow. How could you not be when you have killer weather everyday of the year with everyone being drunk or stoned, with a skater surfer mentality, hot girls all over the place and having Tijuana next door.
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 3:10 pm

i googled:
cool
mellow
stoned
drunk
hot girls
and this came up:
http://paulrwest.com/images/Jimmy%20B.%20Hot%20Water.jpg
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 12:13 pm

check out Las Cuatro Milpas right by Chicano park. Its like if my Nana & Tias opened up a little restaurant.
I am definitely trying that place when I am back home in December. Thanks!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®