Posted: Sep 13, 2008 9:49 pm

this is horrible sad news
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 10:13 pm

so sad!!!!!!
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 10:51 pm

damn
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 11:56 pm | Edited by: saint sarah

holy smokes! That's sad.

And I just read how...fucking severe. Poor wife.
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 11:59 pm

this is horrible sad news

not really, unless you are kin of his.

his writing has always been vastly over-rated. he just came along at the right time. kind of an easton ellis of the 90's and that decade's particular need for crappy, self-indulgent, ultimately pointless and convoluted fiction.

hoo-ray!
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 12:33 am

RIP
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 2:22 am

Wikipedia says Wallace covered Senator John McCain, and 9/11 for Rolling Stone.

I'm just saying.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 3:25 am

What the fuck??????????
Nooooooooo!
RIP my man, love ya.

Hey Seamus,
Get aids and croack slowly and get it on camera for me, you fuck.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 3:34 am

O, Seamus, get some bone cancer too.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 5:47 am

hoo-ray!

taking glee over a stranger's death--suicide for a successful person at 46 HAS to be a tough last day or so--because you don't like his sentence structure is sub human btw

any chance taking, excessive art can be called self indulgent: ever listen to rock music?

convoluted is A-OK too; try the spark notes on Hamlet: i am still not sure what happens in the 4th act

his stuff had many points to me; calling him pointless is just saying you do not prefer his style

great. it's like the music talk here.

i like brown.
i like green.
but don't forget red. She's the best.
yes. but yellow is great too some times.

ho-hum.

and comparing DFW to Ellis is so off the mark it's almost funny. not funny in a rickles type way. funny as in lame,pathetic, like telling strangers to fuck off after their offering of mere opinions.

Hoo ray!
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 4:19 pm

what baker said
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 4:24 pm

Is he the guy who wrote that article on the deconstruction of Lost Highway? If so, fuck him.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 6:10 pm

crappy, self-indulgent, ultimately pointless and convoluted fiction.

Totally disagree.

But I prefer Cintra Wilson.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Could be wrong, but I think you mean Zizek, Sam.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 7:54 pm

I've never read this guy, but did take time to read his article on Federer and pro tennis today.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?e i=5090&en=716968175e36505e&ex=1313726400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&p agewanted=all
It explains beautifully, though rather long windedly, why I love tennis. All you guys that think tennis is boring and pussy should read it. It explains the physical mechanics.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 8:03 pm

not ping pong?
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 8:09 pm

Could be wrong, but I think you mean Zizek, Sam.

Nope, fuck him.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 9:12 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

david foster wallace writes with the attitude of goners but actually bothers to support his opinions on suckage with some incredibly well appointed age/attitude/genre-appropriate turns of phrase and structure. i don't see why there's the venom for this dead man that there is...
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 9:37 pm

very sad.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 10:16 pm

attitude of goners

is that the description of a rugged, slightly leathery scented after shave?
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 5:07 am

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 2:34 pm

how long do i wait to sell my first edition, hard cover, signed copy of Infinite Jest?

i was at Illinois State when he first started teaching there. a friend of mine hated him and wanted to follow him home and torture him.
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Infinite Jest

friend of mine just joked it should be called "infinite REST" now....HA.
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 5:15 pm

When he turned the McCain story in to Rolling Stone in 2000, they told him that it had more words in it than the rest of the entire magazine combined. The unedited version, "Up, Simba" is in Consider the Lobster, and it's not so much about McCain as it is about how political races are covered in the 21st Century. His essay about 9/11 in that book is probably the best thing I've read on the subject. Here's a link to another of my favorite essays of his: The Host.

Infinite Jest was one of those books that I kept reading even when I hated it. When I finished it, I felt kind of meh about it, but images, passages, and concepts from it continually float up to the top of my mind even today, more than a decade after I read it. You can see its influence everywhere--even the J-horror movie The Ring ripped off one of its central premises.

Comparing him to Ellis is laughable. Ellis just wanted to shock. Wallace wanted to understand. And when he didn't understand, he let you know.
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm

Bummer. Only was able to read a tiny bit (15-20 pages?) of Infinite Jest many years ago--very hard going, but funny! I laughed out loud re. the young tennis player's awesome tournament strategy. I will seek out his tennis nonfiction.
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 8:41 pm

Hey Seamus,
Get aids and croack slowly and get it on camera for me, you fuck.

i couldn't agree more.

hey kids, stay off the freebase!
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 3:44 am

junkies just wanna have fun
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 12:06 pm

RIP DFW.

One of the greats of our time.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 2:48 pm

I had no idea who this guy was until I Googled him. At first, I thought he was one of those guys from the "Men on Film" segments on In Living Color.
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 3:24 pm

Posted: Sep 16, 2008 5:34 pm

WHAT A QUITTER!!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®