Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Joe Klein on the Rise of Sarah Palin
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 10:25 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 12:15 pm

a country with a much greater potential for justice and creativity " and perhaps even prosperity " than the sepia-tinted version of Main Street America. But that vision is not sellable right now to a critical mass of Americans. They live in a place, not unlike C. Vann Woodward's South, where myths are more potent than the hope of getting past the dour realities they face each day.

Sounds like he's quite on target, and that Obama is smart not to do the "town hall meetings" that McCain keeps harping on.
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 12:56 pm

"We grow good people in our small towns ..." And then added, "I grew up with those people. They're the ones who do some of the hardest work in America, who grow our food and run our factories and fight our wars."

Isn't this a George Bailey paraphrase in his diatribe to Old Man Potter?
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 2:03 pm

god how i loathe her
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 2:04 pm

Joe Klein is one of the better mainstream columnists, but his perception of America is not any more accurate than Sara Pallin's. He is a product of the NE and Beltway, and that skews his image of America. The primary appeal of Pallin is that she is conservative ticket ballast AND that she is a woman. The Annie Oakley shit is secondary.

From a strategic standpoint, it might have been a good choice, but she has a growing family with visible problems, a retarded child, and limited executive experience. She's not any more experienced than the "community organizer". Even a loudmouthed plagiarist like Biden was a better pick, and that is not saying much.
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 2:36 pm

He is a product of the NE and Beltway, and that skews his image of America.

Being a product of any area of the country will "skew" your image of "America"!

You think people in Tennessee see the same "America" that someone in Montana sees? That Arizona sees? That Illinois sees? That Florida sees?

I hate that argument that if you are--horrors--a resident of DC or--God Forbid--the "NE" (and what exactly unifies this vague USview? New Yorkers are all the same as people from New Hampshire?) that you somehow cannot see an accurate view of the US of A.

Now, THAT is elitism. It is as bad as idiots from Portland wanting to secede as a Blue State from the awful Red States that lost them the election last time.
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 3:12 pm

god how i loathe her

show em how you feel. get this t-Shirt

http://crucialbrutal.com/?i=9904

$16 shipped
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®