Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Handbags anyone?
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 10:21 pm

We had this discussion about 2 winters ago, but it is getting to be New Nice Handbag Time. Anyone have any good websites for leather shoulder bags preferably under $200?
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 12:41 am

i was thinking i needed a bag reminder too...i saw a marc by marc that i liked, but...i'd like to know what everyone else is looking at too!
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 12:54 am

brown paper
super sleek utilitarian look and goes with almost any outfit
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 8:54 am

I totally slept on a great patent Marc by Marc last year--burgundy and cream heavy patent. Oh well. I want something interesting, dark leather (no suede), medium sized, shoulder straps, more structured than slouchy and with pockets--at least one big enough for multiple lipsticks and another for a cell.
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 9:35 am

I just bought a cute, non- designer bag the other day. I can get behind spending a lot on moisturizer and shoes, but I just can't stomach the spendy handbags. This one is big enough to hold my camera, and small enough that it doesn't look like a diaper bag.

Here's what I bought
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 12:26 pm

I know nothing of handbags.
Nor do I care.
But this thread allows me to shill for a friend...
http://loribag.com/
Own a bag made by an Ultracat!
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 2:39 pm

I like those cutesy bags, but I need leathuh baby!

Windy, where did you get yours? I need a bit bigger one. I think Macy's is having a lil ol sale...
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 2:42 pm

leathuh

I'm not sure if mine is leather or not. email me off the board for purse details.
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 3:22 pm

I was given this big ol' beauty for my birthday and I love it. It meets a lot of your specifications BUT it is over the $200 mark. I love it though-it fits a shit ton of stuff and is very structured, non-slouchy. On a non-leather note, I got this pleather bag at Target that I love as well and I don't have to worry about it getting rained on during our 8 month long deluge in Portland- it comes in a few different colors.
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 5:36 pm

I like that one, but I hate a flap front; need the top zipper. I found a beaut at Anthropologie in a gorgeous deep blue, but it just had one of those magnetic snaps. All the easier for some jerk to reach into your bag and steal...which has actually happened since I have lived in Memphis.
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 5:51 pm

That one does have a top zipper, just can't see it in that picture- it's interesting how it's constructed because it has the flap front, but when you lift it up there's just a small zipper pocket and two small pockets hidden underneath it- none of which I actually use because I throw everything in the main compartment which you access via the top zipper which you can't see in that stupid pic. I love purses- let me know if you find any other cool ones cuz I'm always lookin for more.
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 6:11 pm

I got one of those Ashley Watson ones last year and while very cool, it is extremely unstructured and impossible to find a thing in.

There is a cool Cole Haan one on sale for $259 (ick) on Zappos, but I want to see the bag for that money. I may wait until I go to Nashville at the end of the month and go to Off 5th.
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 6:45 pm

man, i couldn't see spending that much money on a freakin' purse. i don't think i've ever spent over 30 bucks on one ever. seriously. but i feel that way about a variety of clothes and accessories. i usually only buy semi expensive jeans and shoes and even then, i don't get all crazy and won't spend over 50 bucks on jeans or 100 on a pair of shoes. geebs.
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 9:06 am

Welp, it all balances out cos I easily get tons of stuff I wear for no more than $20 a pop, esp. blouses etc. That means I can splurge on the LEATHUH accessories. I seriously cannot wear cheap shoes; they hurt my feet. Everytime I have tried to buy a cheap purse, it falls apart and within 20 minutes it looks so cheap I wanna throw it in the trash.
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Latico...bought 2 in Spring $175 each...may never be able to do that again, but I love them both, and pass by the handbag section carelessly every time now...

http://www.laticoleathers.com/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,3 /option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

...they make a ton of styles, some are not cute...mine are of the "vyntage" variety. the pocket configurations are pefect!
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 6:55 pm

Zappos.com has a variety of bags/price ranges. Their return policy is freakin' awesome... 365 days from day of purchase and they pay for the return shipping! I've taken advantage of it several times with shoes. Never had a problem.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 6:15 pm

I found someone who makes incredible handmade leather bags in Bristol (UK) on etsy. I think I am going for it just because it'll be original. The only issue is the one I really love has the snap-only top, which freaks me out.
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Posted: Sep 14, 2008 9:05 pm

I've got about 30-40 vintage bags I'm this close to selling as a lot. Any ideas how I should do this? I guess eBay?

I wonder if they'd sell if I included them in an estate sale?

Opinions?
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 7:59 pm | Edited by: saispas

Selling lots on eBay had NEVER worked out like selling things as single sales has. Don't do it. How old are these bags? Any I'd like?
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Mostly from the 50s and 60s. Maybe one or two from the 20s (?), and a small handful from the 70s.

I'm still on the fence... Even though they're in a bin in my attic, I can't decide if, at this point in my life, they would be something I would regret getting rid of someday. I sold my first collection years ago and later regretted it.
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Not me, I'm not gay.

I carry a man bag.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®