Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / grade school turntables
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:44 am

Remember those old Califone portable turntables? I've always loved the design and I've been thinking of tracking one down.

But I bet the needles on 'em are pretty heavy-duty. Will it damage (wear out) LPs quickly like a 45 jukebox supposedly does?
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:51 am

Califone only makes one model now...the 1005.
I bet I've sold hundreds of them to the local schools...but not in about 8-10 years.
We used to have a butt load of em in our rental department but they threw them all away several years ago without my knowledge...or else I woulda confiscated a few.
They were some heavy duty son of a guns.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:57 am

i wouldn't recommend playing anything but beat-up recs on them.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Those tone arms are heavy
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Not sure what kind yer exactly talking about, but I got one from a school on the table next to me right now, it's a box with a speaker off one side, goes pretty loud and sounds pretty damn good. Barely used (ever) I think. Heavy construction. I can get more, supposedly. Used to run an extension cord out to the back yard and blast it for sitting around the fire, worked great!
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 2:38 pm

my friend rob has one. i'm getting all my records back form him asap.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 2:44 pm

Jeff Evans used to have a stack of 'em sitting in his apartment, but that was several years ago.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 2:58 pm

Those tone arms are heavy
and they will kill your LP collection.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 3:31 pm

I've got an 1815K with what must be a 12" (at least) speaker. I've DJ'd with it and soul 45s sound awesome, just like they're supposed to. LPs don't sound quite so good, so it's maybe a non-issue whether or not they "will kill your LP collection". As trickknee pointed out, they're perfect for backyard partying. And, I can plug my guitar through it.

Bonus points for being able to play 78s.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 10:13 pm

kurt wood, ex-woggles drummer and 45 digger extraordinaire, always shows up to record shows with one of these numbers and his records always sound the best!
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 10:59 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Bonus points for being able to play 78s.

Damn, I totally blew up my 78-playin' coffee table unit during a meth-head junior electrician freekout in the late 90s. I'm really wanting to spin my Hilo Hattie 3-record set...but, nooo, had to get all drunk and tweeked and bust out the soldering iron. Somehow managed to run the power cord to one of the speakers and that fucker really lit up good!
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:25 pm

i bet!

haven't heard hilo hattie, actually... but her namesake shop is A #1 bad-o for tourist merchandise- at a good price!
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:38 pm

haven't heard hilo hattie, actually...

I can't believe there are people out there that have never heard Hilo Hattie! I live in a freaky little world tho.

How can you resist?
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:54 pm

Please purchase the Gonerfest II DVD/CD.
At the end of the CD, Harlan T. Bobo uses an MCS early 80's edition mono turntable through the headphone jack, to a volume pedal, through an amp.

Works well.
It's the voice of god.

Better than a "Big Muff"
Bought one, it sucks. I want my R.A.T. back.

Last part of post is possibly wrong thread.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®