Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Good Fuzzbox
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 3:12 pm

You folks have any suggestions? Been using a Vox Tonebender for a while, sounds good but that thing kills a lot of sustain.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 3:21 pm

fuzzy with sustain = big muff
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 3:34 pm

i had one and it was cool but i like that kind of sizzly sound the older style boxes or superfuzzes have...those things are fuckin expensive though
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 3:54 pm

Have you tried a equametric paralyzer?
They're expensive even if you can find one...
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 4:06 pm

12 year olds have a nice fuzz on there box
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 4:16 pm

You folks have any suggestions? Been using a Vox Tonebender for a while, sounds good but that thing kills a lot of sustain.

that's your trademark sound. don't throw it away. the new big muffs suck. you should try the spooktone one i have when we practice next.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 4:27 pm

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 4:37 pm

Or, like, some 70s bush.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 4:39 pm

Or, like, some 70s bush.

BRUSH!
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 5:11 pm

I just bought an MXR Classic 108 Fuzz

almost got the Fulltone '70 but got distracted trying to build a clone from a kit...
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 6:50 pm | Edited by: Scott

I'd kill for one of those Vox Tone Benders! If it's good enough for Tony Joe White, it's good enough for you! I've been looking at this!

These are awesome too! Sounds just like Davie Allan.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 8:37 pm

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 8:58 pm

Sounds just like Davie Allan.

shit, no kidding!
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 11:32 pm

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 11:42 pm

oh shit! and now it begins!!BUWAHAHA!
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 7:07 am

If you want the total Davie Allen sound, get a Ashbass Fuzzbrite, which is their versh of the class Mosrite Fuzzrite...

If you need TWO instantly accessible fuzz sounds, plump for the Barge Concepts BB series, which is an update/repro of the awesome Roland BeeBaa...
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 7:24 am

z-vex fuzz factory...built like a tank, and you can pretty much emulate ANY fuzz tone you want..dude who builds 'em puts all kinds of crazy controls....you can have the dry ass Davie Allen sound, or the saturated Blue Cheer belch, or tinny south american mosquito fuzz...you can have em all! Also the guy builds them really simply, so a battery lasts about a year...no shit.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 9:32 am

This thread would totally rule if the administrators hadn't disabled the in-page image linking.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 10:03 am | Edited by: Jay

this is mine. expensive, but it will basically play it's self and destroy everything in sight, especially when the battery is dying.

frantone
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 12:07 pm

Second on the Ash Bass FUZZ BRITE. I can get a subtle Stones/ Music Machine (well, almost)/ Seeds (nails it) buzz. I also use it with an old Bell and Howell theater cab which provides plenty of sustain on it's own, and is cheap and easy to install and wire a with a 12" speaker.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 12:27 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

one of the nuttier fuzztones Ive heard in a minute...gotta love that south american fuzz

http://www.divshare.com/download/5346439-466
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 12:32 pm

z-vex fuzz factory

All the video demos of this make it sound more like a novelty pedal geek toy than a usable effect. "Check out all the crazy shit it can do!" Yeah, but I'm not gonna use 95% of those sounds.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 2:44 pm

get a rat
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 3:30 pm

z-vex fuzz factory

All the video demos of this make it sound more like a novelty pedal geek toy than a usable effect. "Check out all the crazy shit it can do!" Yeah, but I'm not gonna use 95% of those sounds.

That's because most guitarists can't take more than 2 knobs and use them as novelties- not that they aren't good pedals. If you dial in what you want and just play your guitar instead of your pedal, you'll be alright. This goes for other 5 knob pedals as well.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Best bang for your buck: Danelecto French Toast

Decent, but pricier: MXR, Voodoo Lab or Rat

The Holy Grail: Maestro Fuzz-Tone (good luck finding, let alone affording, one)
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Voodoo Lab or Rat
The Rat rules the fuzz kingdom fer sure
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 7:03 pm

This guy's got loads of different fuzz pedals. Somehow they all manage to sound pretty much the same coming through my computer speakers. Go figure.
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=voodoowrench
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 7:22 pm

THIS one\'s my fave. fuzz and you can still hear your chords

Thats the 60\'s one which are garbage (to my ears), the 90s reissues are far better and look the same but are wider and made of tinnier metal.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 7:23 pm

Oh actually, that may be a reissue. the perspective made it look thinner
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 9:26 pm

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:18 pm

the HYPER FUZZ
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:22 pm

knife blade to speaker! cord shorting out!

there's lots of cheap alternatives to achieve CLASSIC FUZZ!
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:47 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I like to run my shit though a Fender Mycro Headphone amp set on the distortion setting, run that into a little mackie mixer (1995 vintage) maxed out, then run that into a peavey amp. total fuzz revolution!
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:56 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Fuck a Big Muff on a Ric 4001 bass.
Dumbest idea Vinyl Ritchie ever had.
Would not take his advice again.

R.A.T. is whare it's AT!
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 12:04 am

oh shit! and now it begins!!BUWAHAHA!

I saw Davie Allan last year. He had Dusty and Sam for "The Arrows." I'll have to check my pictures, but I think he was playing a Jazzmaster.
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 7:55 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Fuck a Big Muff on a Ric 4001 bass.
Dumbest idea Vinyl Ritchie ever had.
Would not take his advice again.

sorry, I thought you would get a boner using the same fuzz that Gringo's bass player uses
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 9:12 am

To really be sure you've picked the correct fuzz, you need to play every pedal on this list.
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 9:53 am

I'm psyched on the FuzzWar pedal by Death By Audio. It can get pretty destroyed sounding.
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 11:52 am

sorry, I thought you would get a boner using the same fuzz that Gringo's bass player uses

He's got a completely different/awesome bass and rig.
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 1:01 pm

I really dig the Fender Blender reissue. I mainly use Fuzz for single-note, sixties type stuff.

What's the point of being able to chord with a Fuzz when you can make single notes sound more monstrous ?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®