Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / recommend a guitar amp
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:03 pm

buying my first electric guitar in 10 years and haven't kept up with equipment shit at all.
most reviews are useless to me since I'm not going for Eric Clapton or SRV "good tone", retch.

what's something fairly reliable that I can turn way the fuck up and make a pleasing racket?
anyone?
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:11 pm

what's your budget? Playing with a band or just at home? Who's guitar sound do you like?
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:21 pm

Don't buy an amp you couldn't buy ten years ago.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:22 pm

I could spend up to a grand, though I'd rather spend the $$ on Lone Star.

I have a shitty home practice amp, this will be for playing with a friend or two.
Just a drummer right now, might add another guitar player at some point
if we fuck up and make shit complicated.

My guitar is an SG with single-coil pickups.

I like the way junky amps sound, but again, I'd like something sort of reliable.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:24 pm

Don't buy an amp you couldn't buy ten years ago.

Yeah, I'm not looking for any amp that uses "modeling."

I refuse to buy any pedals that have more than 2 knobs.

I just want something simple, yep.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:34 pm

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:34 pm

go to a couple good, independent musicians stores that sell used amps, try them all, and if there is one that really fits your wants as far as tone and volume, get it. if not, keep returning every week and try the new arrivals of used gear. there really is no magic brand or model. just stay away from newer shit that promises too much for too few $$$.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:35 pm

5W...this can't possibly be loud enough for my purposes, can it?
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:37 pm

go to a couple good, independent musicians stores that sell used amps, try them all, and if there is one that really fits your wants as far as tone and volume, get it. if not, keep returning every week and try the new arrivals of used gear. there really is no magic brand or model. just stay away from newer shit that promises too much for too few $$$.

yeah, I just hate blasting away in guitar shops.
I know it may be unavoidable, but I'd like to at least narrow in
on a few amps first.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:39 pm

it's 5W of class A tube power...much louder than 5W of solid state.

I've heard one played with an average-loud drummer and it seemed to hold up. you might want more power, though...

It was the first thing I thought of when you said you didn't like knobs.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:46 pm

mine goes to 11.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:51 pm

You know it, just be sure to pick up some sound reducing ear muffs for the total effect!

Or if you really want to peel there hair back, get an acoustic guitar!
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:03 pm

The Valve Jr is a little underpowered, I use at least 15 whole watts. Here's a short list:

Used: Musicman combos, Fender silverface twin or pro, Sovtek combo, Silvertone

New: Traynor combo, Fender deluxe reissue (not fond of the hot rod deluxe or deville)

For 1K you can get about anything. The Fender Deluxe is a great all around amp, 22 watts, not too heavy but loud enough for a band. Used they go for around $700.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:11 pm

Musicman combos
i'm gonna toot the horn of musicman amps.
they're super versatile and not too expensive and kick lots of ass and are kinda junky, or you can get a junky sound out of them.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:22 pm

cool, thanks for all the recommends so far.

how about the Peavey Delta Blues thing with the 15" speaker?
bigger speaker should mean a bit stronger bottom end, yeah?
What a horrible name for an amp, though.
Perfect for the newest members of Blueshammer.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:22 pm

Vox Pathfinder 15R:

Solid state
20w
1- 8" speaker
Good "tone"
Okay reverb, so-so tremolo
Pretty loud, considering the wattage
About $100 used

You can carry 2 of these amps at one time, without even straining yourself. I got mine on a whim, but wound up liking it so much I now use 2 of these amps when gigging and don't see myself ever going back to schlepping big tube amps around.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:31 pm

Sovtek...Peavey Delta Blues...I second those emotions. Peavey sounds swampy cool, and Sovtek will rip yer face off on high sensitivity. But be warned, the Sovteks get heavy (as in actual weight).

And where can you get a Musicman for less than $400? Nowhere in Portland. Suddenly those things are like gold around here.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:32 pm

VOX AC-15...plenty loud to gig with...I've got a VOX Pathfinder head that sounds amazing through a 1x12 speaker cab.

I had two of the Pathfinder 15R (which is 15 watts by the way...)with the 8" speakers...sounded really good but never tried to gig with them....If you set the tremolo on both amps to slightly different speeds, you will throw up.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:36 pm

Vox Pathfinder

I've got one of these- have you tried hooking it up through a bigger cabinet? It's kind of ridiculous how loud these things can get through a 4X12! Not that I expect you to play out with that if you like to juggle your equipment while your loading in, but definitely something to try.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:39 pm

And where can you get a Musicman for less than $400? Nowhere in Portland. Suddenly those things are like gold around here.

I got the Reverb/Tremelo HD130 head and matching 4-12 cabinet for $500 here in Columbus. I hate my back.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:46 pm

Thrice post!

So, what I recommend is taking a little from Mr. Hugh Jass and a little of my advice and get 2 musicman half stacks for your $1000 and play out of those.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:47 pm

probably the same collector that keeps posting on CL looking to buy any and all Sunn / Sound City gear.

I ended up with a used '90s Ampeg Reverberocket 2x12 combo, picked it up for about $350. The clean channel is gorgeous, but I never really use it. The dirty channel could use a bit less gain-- it's a bit shrill. Also, the (shared) eq is worthless for controlling midrange. Nice reverb though.

I've seen the 1x12 (or is it 15"?) version around too.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 2:54 pm

Don't even bother. Just find out what Jap amp emulated it and track that down for a third of the price.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 3:00 pm

I've got one of these- have you tried hooking it up through a bigger cabinet?
I ran mine through a 1x15 speaker cab and it was ludicrously loud. I can only imagine how loud it would be with a 4x12. I don't bother with extra cabinets when gigging, though. When the combo is mic'ed, it sounds awesome and I don't have to worry about my lumbago acting up. It's the perfect amp for the aged.

Golightly, I thought it was 15w, but I read a few things that claim 20, so I don't know what to believe. Either way, 2 of those are loud enough for my little band. I have a really good tremolo pedal, so I don't use the amp's tremolo, but I'm gonna have to try screwing around with that and see if I can get the bad band in the adjoining practice space to vomit.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 3:10 pm

And where can you get a Musicman for less than $400?

I have an HD130 head and a fender 1x15 I got for less than $500, and an hd130 1x15 combo that I paid $400 for, but had to replace the speaker and get a bunch of shit fixed... with PHASER! On ebay.

So, what I recommend is taking a little from Mr. Hugh Jass and a little of my advice and get 2 musicman half stacks for your $1000 and play out of those.

so. painful. to. do. this.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 3:47 pm

i use a fender FM212R
2 12" speakers, 100 watts solid state, spring reverb
built in overdrive, price about $330
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2 x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481601
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 3:49 pm

I just had a guy on ebay stiff me for the Sundown head I listed last week....a kick ass head made by the guy from Ampeg...Dennis Kager....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280259460818&ru=htt p%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_t rksid%3Dm37.l1313%26satitle%3D280259460818%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

475.00 if you want it.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 5:03 pm

Ampeg V4B 100-watt tube head--The Destroyer Of Worlds. Totally clean tone, just add pedal for any sound you want blasted to hell and back. '69-'75. Probably still going on ebay for under $500--they've not yet caught on with any sort of hipster following. Highest possible recommendation to anyone playing any kind of rock music.

-Ryan
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 5:17 pm

The Ampeg V-4's are killer.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 5:21 pm

There's a (local to me) V4 on ebay right now for $1150. I think the days of them going for cheap are over.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 5:26 pm

Get one of these.

They're super cheap and everywhere to be found.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 5:45 pm

The Ampeg V-4's are killer.

I'm tellin' ya...the Sundown is from that heritage.
The cleans are amazing but the variety of hotter sounds are incredible.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 5:52 pm

Class A is a lot louder than you think. I've got an AC30 (30 watts) that will keep up with a Fender Twin, but that 5 watt amp (although it sounds great) just isn't enough for even a moderately loud band.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 5:53 pm

There's a (local to me) V4 on ebay right now for $1150. I think the days of them going for cheap are over.

There's another one at $450 and one at $355--I've noticed they don't get jumped on on ebay in part because they are SO fucking heavy that's it costs out the ass to get em shipped--I think the head is at least 60 pounds.

-Ryan
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 5:57 pm

-I think the head is at least 60 pounds.
Oh, my sciatica! Heavens, no.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 6:25 pm

I think the head is at least 60 pounds.

I got a V4B about 15 years ago for $200 and it is more like 90 fucking lbs.

Way too heavy, but I love it just the same.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 6:35 pm

There's another one at $450 and one at $355

but both with a few days left to go.

actually...completed listings DO show them going for $500-$700.
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 7:18 pm

Sundown is 38 pounds...still too heavy for me.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 5:34 am

I got the Reverb/Tremelo HD130 head and matching 4-12 cabinet for $500 here in Columbus.

Nice.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 5:50 am

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Jr-HalfStack ?sku=481475

I actually bought one of these last night.
It probably won't be loud enough to be a gig amp,
but the thing was so fucking cool I bought it anyway.
If I can get away with it, I'll stick with this for a while.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 10:26 am

Early 70's Musicman 30/60 watt 1/12 amp.

Mid to late 60's Fender Bassman, I actually like the late 60's(68) Silverface 4/10 combo.
Both of these can be found here in North Carolina for 3-400 dollars usually.

I am also a fan of the mid 60's Ampeg Gemini series at least the 1 an 2. Amazing reverb and tone, I know where a couple are right now for a steal.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 10:45 am

mid 60's Ampeg Gemini series

They are really getting expensive on ebay right now...I can personally vouch for the Gemini VI...gretest guitar amp I ever owned and i have been trying to buy it back for 10 years
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:21 pm

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Jr-HalfStack ?sku=481475

cool, were you able to play it in a store?

a guitarist for one of my old bands used the head at practice for awhile and I swear it was decently loud.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:23 pm

It probably won't be loud enough to be a gig amp,

Hmmm...I bet TWO of 'em would be though, and you'd still only be using half your budget.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:46 pm

Two of those would rule. One might work in a not-so-loud band. I get by playing a 15 watt amp at most gigs and practice. I have two of those, Imight try to see what they sound like together. The problem with using two amps is that you need some sort of buffered line amp instead of just an A/B/Y box. If you just use a box, the signel level hitting each amp is diminished and the amp isn't as loud as it should be.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:59 pm

The problem with using two amps is that you need some sort of buffered line amp instead of just an A/B/Y box. If you just use a box, the signel level hitting each amp is diminished and the amp isn't as loud as it should be.
What's a buffered line amp? I Google'd and I don't think I found the right thing. I use one of those switcher boxes, but if that's cutting power, I'd like to try something else.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 1:10 pm

I think it's going to be plenty loud enough for the next 6 months to a year,
and by then I'll probably upgrade to a Vox head.

Thanks again for all the recommendations.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 1:17 pm

The problem with using two amps is that you need some sort of buffered line amp instead of just an A/B/Y box. If you just use a box, the signel level hitting each amp is diminished and the amp isn't as loud as it should be.
What's a buffered line amp? I Google'd and I don't think I found the right thing. I use one of those switcher boxes, but if that's cutting power, I'd like to try something else.

Some people use a regular aby box and they don't mind the drop in level. Whenever I've done it before, it always bugged me. There are some pretty expensive amp switchers like this one:
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm There is also a Framptone switcher and a Kendrick that are all high end. I've used little mixers like Mackie 1202 in t he studio to use two amps at once. That works pretty good if you don't mind running your signal through an additional preamp stage before it hits your amps. I just plugged into a channel and used the stereo outs to go to the amps. You can then adjust how much signal you are feeding to each amp, boosting the overall output if necesary.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 1:32 pm

Man, those things cost more than both of my little amps combined. What about switchers that claim to be "true bypass" like this? Will those be any better at maintaining the output than the standard switchers?
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 3:20 pm

I can't remember for sure, but don't those little vox have a line out? Why wouldn't that work? Line out of one into the other one? Never tried it, just wondering.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 4:00 pm

When you line out of the VOX, it cuts out the speaker
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 4:08 pm

When you line out of the VOX, it cuts out the speaker
There are 2 separate line out and speaker output jacks. I know using the speaker output cuts the speaker; is it really the same with the line out?
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 4:28 pm | Edited by: Golightly

It's been so long but I think so...I got a Pathfinder head only for use with my recorder...but I used to use the one with the speaker and I think it did cut the speaker out...but I could be wrong.
I LOVE the sound of the Pathfinder direct injected into the recorder via the line out...I have not mic'd a amp in my studio for a long time...I just do quickie demos of new songs for the band to learn
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 6:50 pm

Most older amps have at least two inputs in parallel.

When I wanna play two at a time i just plug into one input and run instrument cable from the other input to the other amp. Works great, or am I fucking something up?
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 7:33 pm

When I wanna play two at a time i just plug into one input and run instrument cable from the other input to the other amp. Works great, or am I fucking something up?

ive been told this is not a good idea
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 10:15 am

Man, those things cost more than both of my little amps combined. What about switchers that claim to be \"true bypass\" like this? Will those be any better at maintaining the output than the standard switchers?

Andy, I don\'t have a lot of experience with running two amps, but I believe \"True Bypass\" is literally the opposite of buffered, so I don\'t think it\'s the same.

I ran two amps once just using the two outs on my Boss tuning pedal (it has one that gets bypassed when you are tuning and one that doesn\'t. I didn\'t detect any signal degradation, but I think the Boss tuning pedal might have some buffering (which is why people who demand \"true bypass\" don\'t like it!). the amps happened to be functioning in phase, so it was a really full balls out sound and no ground loops either.

I could be full of shit on all this though, so...
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 11:03 am

That's how Hendrix used to do it. I think it depends on the amps and the inputs. That's why you see people use a "jumper" cable to connect the inputs on the same amp, it activates both channels at once. when I was talking about switchers, like I said, not everybody is bugged by the tiny drop in input. It does make the preamp section of a amp behave differently, but if you have two amps blasting you won't be lacking in volume. It's more of a tone issue than a volume issue. It's also more obvious when recording versus playing live.
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 1:06 pm

I've done 20 or so gigs with a Pathfinder and it's always been up to snuff, volume-wise, particularly when using it as a head with a home-made 1x12 cabinet.

Bo D, I've been hearing great things about Blackheart's new 15w Class A head, so you could think of just nabbing one of those for use with yer Epiphone cab, as the speaker will take it. Check out the BH15H here
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 1:38 pm

I've never had or heard of any problems from doing that. It's just a parallel line out. There might be a little signal loss, but it's so insignificant that most people won't even notice it unless you chain more than two amps together. By the time you crank up the second amp there's definitely no volume loss.
It's exactly the same as bridging channels on one amp. Most people you talk to will tell you that it's the only way to get the right sound out of an old Marshall/HiWatt. I bridge the channels on any amp that has more than one. Otherwise you're only getting half the sound out of an amp (Sound. Not volume.).
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 2:08 pm

I ran two amps once just using the two outs on my Boss tuning pedal (it has one that gets bypassed when you are tuning and one that doesn\'t. I didn\'t detect any signal degradation, but I think the Boss tuning pedal might have some buffering (which is why people who demand \"true bypass\" don\'t like it!).
I have the Boss tuner with 2 outputs, so I'm gonna try this. I currently use a cheapo switcher box (no buffering, I'm sure) and I've always thought there was a distinct loss in both volume and tone. When I was playing through 2 high-wattage tube amps, I didn't notice it so much, but with the Pathfinders, I think it makes a difference.
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 3:08 pm

I bridge the channels on any amp that has more than one. Otherwise you're only getting half the sound out of an amp (Sound. Not volume.).
hm. so i kinda want to try this.
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 3:30 pm

is it really bridging, in the technical sense?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridged_and_paralleled_amplifiers
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 4:14 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

that was all jibby jabby to me
i need photos or drawings that aren't schematics
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 4:24 pm

I'm no expert, but I think true bridging would require the power amps to be connected, as opposed to the inputs of both preamps.

extremely dorky turn in the discussion #2: I think I saw the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' guitarist playing two marshall half-stacks (one clean, one dirty) on Letterman / Leno years ago. pickitup pickitup hup hup.
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 12:08 am | Edited by: Juan Kerr

I have tried bridging the channels on my early 70's Bassman 50 and on my V4B lotsa times, but I always end up thinking it sounds better to crank one channel than to have both channels turned up halfway.

Then again, maybe I just need a bigger space so I can turn up both channels to 11 and really wail, Man.
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 11:36 am

is it really bridging, in the technical sense?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridged_and_paralleled_amplifiers

Fuck I dunno. I don't know all the technical jargon. I just know I'm doing the same thing between channels that I do between two amps.

I bridge the channels on any amp that has more than one. Otherwise you're only getting half the sound out of an amp (Sound. Not volume.).
hm. so i kinda want to try this.

The thing is if you have an amp with two distinct sounding channels (bright/normal/bass), you can use them both and blend them together. The first thing you do is turn all the knobs up to 10 (or 11 if you got it) except the volume. Then you run a patch cable from the second input on channel one into the first input on channel two. Turn up the volume on the normal channel until it's about as loud as you want it. Then turn up the volume on the bright channel and blend it together with the normal channel to get the tone you want.
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 2:28 pm

Why not just go to Radio Shack (or equiv), buy three 1/4 " jacks, two lengths of guitar cord, and solder together a lead with a single jack on one end and two monos (one for each amp input) on the other? If you heat shrink (or even duct tape) the cord together at 3/4 of its length, you'd have a cord that could easy work well... a pal of mine made me a stereo to two monos lead like this for my Ricky 12-string and it's hardly weightier than a regular guitar cord...
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 8:04 pm

The thing is if you have an amp with two distinct sounding channels (bright/normal/bass), you can use them both and blend them together. The first thing you do is turn all the knobs up to 10 (or 11 if you got it) except the volume. Then you run a patch cable from the second input on channel one into the first input on channel two. Turn up the volume on the normal channel until it's about as loud as you want it. Then turn up the volume on the bright channel and blend it together with the normal channel to get the tone you want.

I don't think I've ever owned an amp that let me have both channels active at the same time. it's A or B, never A + B. I also don't see how turning up all the knobs (them's equalizers!) is gonna help-- those will change your town, not give you more of it..
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 8:08 pm

the musicman i have has 4inputs total, 2 for a clean "chaNNEL" and 2 for a effets channel. i can't really switch back and forth between channels without unplugging and replugging. scotts vox has something similar i think, and i remember seeing a little patch cable bridging them.
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 11:09 pm

I also don't see how turning up all the knobs (them's equalizers!) is gonna help-- those will change your town, not give you more of it..

But they don't boost tone. They simply cut tone when you turn them down. Turn all the tone knobs all the way up. Then set your volume where you want it. Then start tuning the tone knobs down to were you usually set them. You'll probably notice a significant drop in volume. If an amp doesn't sound good with all knobs on ten, I don't want it.

Disclaimer: I'm only talking EQ knobs.
If your amp has a presence knob, turn that shit off. I hate presence!
Gain is something you have to work out on our own.
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 3:03 am

on YOUR own.
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 8:00 am

I hate presence!

What do you get for your birthday?
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 11:15 am

snicker
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 4:22 pm

What do you get for your birthday?

Bitches and money!
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 11:47 am

That Boss tuner is definitely not true bypass if that's what you're looking for. But unless you're using a lot of pedals in series, I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 1:18 pm

But they don't boost tone. They simply cut tone when you turn them down.

I've never heard this before. My understanding is that they work similar to a graphic equalizer on your home stereo-- "flat" is nothing cut or boosted. put your knobs at 12 o'clock and you've got flat.

the tone knob on a guitar usually just cuts the highs, though that can be modded...
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 1:19 pm | Edited by: frankenspline

there's a Korg pedal tuner on the market that purports to be true bypass. somehow I get the feeling "true bypass" is hyped more than it needs to be, though...

I have a used Maxon one that set me back $10 and it's good enough.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 2:00 pm | Edited by: Mandible

Very few guitar amps have "active" tone controls - which are the only kind of tone controls that boost frequencies. Most are just subtractive.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 2:22 pm

Very few guitar amps have "active" tone controls - which are the only kind of tone controls that boost frequencies. Most are just subtractive.

shit, that makes sense.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 2:46 pm

I ran two amps once just using the two outs on my Boss tuning pedal (it has one that gets bypassed when you are tuning and one that doesn\'t. I didn\'t detect any signal degradation, but I think the Boss tuning pedal might have some buffering (which is why people who demand \"true bypass\" don\'t like it!). the amps happened to be functioning in phase, so it was a really full balls out sound and no ground loops either.
I tried this with my Boss tuner yesterday. I don't know if it's buffered or bypass or whatever, but using the tuner to run both amps sounded much better than through the cheapo AB box I've been using for years. Thanks!
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 4:21 pm

Pig nose.

....but you gotta buy like 20 of em'.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 4:45 pm

I tried this with my Boss tuner yesterday. I don't know if it's buffered or bypass or whatever, but using the tuner to run both amps sounded much better than through the cheapo AB box I've been using for years. Thanks!

Awesome!
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 12:00 pm

hmm could one run the the two lines from the tuner into the same amp?
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 1:10 pm

hmm could one run the the two lines from the tuner into the same amp?

Why?
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 2:10 pm

I assume you would do it to run different channels on the same amp at the same time and yes, one could do that with the tuner.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that, in some amps (mostly Fenders), the two channels are not in the same phase and therefore it will sound weird, unless you have some way to reverse phase on one of them (and there actually is a pedal that does that out there somewhere).
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 2:22 pm

to run different channels on the same amp at the same time and yes, one could do that with the tuner.
its a music man...mid 70's
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 3:54 pm

I don't know about the particulars of the two channels on those music man amps, but you'll know if it's in phase by just trying it. If it sounds weird and thin then they are out of phase; if not, they are in phase.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 6:26 pm

All you have to do is run a cable out of the first channel and into the second. Why are "you people" trying to make it so difficult?
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 8:47 pm

All you have to do is run a cable out of the first channel and into the second. Why are "you people" trying to make it so difficult?

I tried to tell them.
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 3:11 pm

I saw Roky at ACL and he was using a valve Jr and 1 12" cabinet rocking out a crowd of about 5000. It had a nice gnarley midrange grind.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®