Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / acoustic guitar advice?
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 12:28 pm

i want one. they all sound too shiny and new. any general advice? i like that old bottleneck blues shit and might even want to put one of those elmore james pick-ups at some point. i have no fucking clue what to look for.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 1:12 pm

For the money, Art and Lutheiry are great cheap acoustics. They are made by Godin in Canada along with Seagulls. I have an AMI model, its a small parlor size guitar perfect for fingerstyle blues. All solid woods, no plywood and something like $225 new.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:00 pm

get one like this guy has

dude, that's me!
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:13 pm

Martin DXM is just dandy.

I've got a piece of shit Jasmine for slide.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:26 pm

I got meself one of those newer Ibanez 'Art Wood' series....pretty inexpensive ($250 or so) and the wood is really quite nice. Sounds good, plays good, and just sounds like a nice acoustic geetar.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:32 pm

I got one of these
http://www.dillionguitars.com/guitar/acoustic_electric/DJ/DJ60E/index. html

I put a bone nut and saddle on it and it's incredible...I had a real Gibson J-160E and this one plays better and sounds better than the Gibson
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:41 pm

I've had a Washburn for years and I love it. It wasn't too expensive as far as I know--it was a gift.

It looks just like this but I doubt it was this expensive.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:50 pm

I got one of these
http://www.dillionguitars.com/guitar/acoustic_electric/DJ/DJ60E/index. html

I put a bone nut and saddle on it and it's incredible...I had a real Gibson J-160E and this one plays better and sounds better than the Gibson

Hmmmm. Looks like John Dillion = John Vinci, lead singer of the Illusion. (Kickass 60s band from Long Island, on Jeff Barry's Steed Records.)
http://www.dillionguitars.com/reviews/index.html
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:50 pm

again, i know shit-ola about acoustics but i like the sound of miss fred mcdowell, elmore james & such. i know james played old f'up kays but all the ones i've tried (both) were ready for the junk heap. i like weathered but sometimes it's just garbage.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:53 pm

I think this is all pointing to how much you need a Staags! record.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:59 pm | Edited by: Golightly

but i like the sound of miss fred mcdowell, elmore james & such

I use a Stella for that kind of stuff...I out a across the hole pick up on it and it sounds cool.
You can find these for between 50 and 100 dollars

http://www.buckdharma.com/Guitar/Guits.shtml
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 4:03 pm

I "put" a across the hole pick up on it...not "out" a across the hole....
first day with the new fingers....
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 6:45 pm

Don't you already have an acoustic, Seamus?

Go to Trade Up and play 'em until you find one you like.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 7:47 pm

I have a Egmond from the mid 60's ...It was my Dads...Sounds good.. and they are cheap.. made in Holland .. Check ebay..
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:23 pm

I have a Regent resonator that I paid about 200 bucks for brand new. It's great for both just playing regular acoustic and slide.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 11:01 pm

As far as acoustics ago, I've learned the cheaper, the better. I know people and family members who have expensive Martin's, Taylor's, and even an Ovation. Seems like the more expensive, the more transparernt/tinney sounding. And alot of those expensive one's didn't even have that great of action.
I've picked up several acoustics for $100 at pawn shops. A Fender one was my favorite. Just play around with some used, really worn down ones in some shops. Talk em down, pull out cash, lay it on the counter, say it's all you got - take it or leave it.
Then buy some new strings. Give em a few weeks to dull up a bit. Then you got a winner.

Also, if you're into the blues slide thing. Play around with different slides. Different materials (brass, glass) will have different tones.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 11:05 pm | Edited by: bvalentine

I don't recommend buying a guitar off the internet ever. No two exact models ever feel/play the same. You never know what you'll get. But what do I know...
Posted: Aug 29, 2008 1:40 am

As far as acoustics ago, I've learned the cheaper, the better. I know people and family members who have expensive Martin's, Taylor's, and even an Ovation. Seems like the more expensive, the more transparernt/tinney sounding. And alot of those expensive one's didn't even have that great of action.
I've picked up several acoustics for $100 at pawn shops. A Fender one was my favorite. Just play around with some used, really worn down ones in some shops. Talk em down, pull out cash, lay it on the counter, say it's all you got - take it or leave it.
Then buy some new strings. Give em a few weeks to dull up a bit. Then you got a winner.

Also, if you're into the blues slide thing. Play around with different slides. Different materials (brass, glass) will have different tones.

I second that...
Posted: Mar 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Okay, my acoustic of 27 years finally took a shit. I suppose I could fix it buy I actually quite hate it's sound.

I'm looking for a new acoustic and was about to ask you all for your elbows about such a purchase when I found this post. I'm going to go down to a couple of places and try some stuff out, but, anyone have opinions on the current acoustics? How about those Canadian ones? I don't mind springing for something nice, either. I'm not looking to playout or record, so, I don't think I need a pickup or anything.

Blah.
Posted: Mar 17, 2013 4:05 pm

I got a Lyle knockoff of a Gibson Humingbird. Thing sounds and plays great, not thin and transparent and shiny. Think I paid $150.
Posted: Mar 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Those lower end Alvarez guitars sound pretty good
Posted: Mar 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Why would you buy a new guitar when you could have this for 350 bucks?
Posted: Mar 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Posted: Mar 18, 2013 1:05 pm

acoustic guitar advice?

THIS ONE
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®