Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / cheap beer thread
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 6:51 pm

feelin' this Guatemalan stuff in a can, Famosa....$4-5 a sixer! Drinkin this instead of Bush at the moment....
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 7:00 pm

mountain creek, 8.48 for a 24 can case.

Mountain Creek Classic Lager is a craft brewed premium beer that delivers exactly what every lager loving beer drinker wants. Mountain Creek Classic Lager starts as pure, clean water from deep in the earth and finishes as a fresh, smooth, crisp lager brewed using the finest blend of sun ripened hops and premium malted barley. This lager is backed with a clean refreshing finish that provides uparalleled refreshment. Our gold winning brewmasters creates our most popular crisp tasting Classic Lager by brewing in small batches and we guarantee you will say it's a "Damn Good Beer!"

- Minhas Brewery
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 7:09 pm

I bought a case of Mountain Creek once (when I lived in WI). the first one tastes horrible, and you'll have a headache by the third.

I recall it was made by the Huber plant. It had maple leafs and French wording on the cans (Biere), so we figured it was mostly intended for desperate Canadian plainsmen snowed in for the winter.

Blatz was a better beer for a similar price.

the Glueck brewery up in MN does Panther, another depressingly cheap beer. Oh, how I miss Woodman's...
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 7:11 pm

i've been drinking it every day since saturday without any problems. blatz tastes horrible and gives me the shits, and is more expensive.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 7:16 pm

blatz tastes horrible and gives me the shits, and is more expensive.
and is not black
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 7:16 pm

i prefer dark beer.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 7:29 pm

it took me something like six months to kill the Mountain Creek i bought. it sat in the crisper, unloved. I could barely give it away.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 9:12 pm

PBR 24 packs still sell for 15/16 now and then here deep in the heart of the heart of the ghetto

is Schaefer's still around? that was a good chaep beer; so was iron city.

for after hour parties
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 9:20 pm

30 packs of pabst for $12.99 here

cheapest alcohol in the country bar none
only reason to live in this godforsaken shitstain
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 11:53 pm

I was handed a Schlitz at a party once and I actually didn't think it was all that bad; beats the shit out of Budweiser for sure- that shit was responsible for me HATING beer for years

I know I'm a heretic for saying that, as I live in Missouri (if you wanna call it "living"); if the Dutch people could make that shit taste better, they can go ahead for all I care

I'm a Newcastle and Guinness man myself; fuck cheap beer
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 12:06 am

A bargain at damn near twice the price.

No cheap beer @ Ginger Man, but what a place if you are into good suds.

www.gingerman-ny.com
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 12:40 am

TV Ghost got repo'd here during SXSW and stayed with us for awhile. They bought a bunch of Budweiser bottles and I drank those 'cuz they were pretty good. Then I got into PBR and marginally into Lonestar. Probably gonna drink one tonight. Beer, to me, isn't meant to be enjoyed, it's to be endured. 'Cuz bein' drunk is better than just bein' tired.

When I was in Holland they didn't "have" whiskey and coke*, so I drank loads of Grolsh, which probably isn't cheap beer but it was over there.

*I ordered one and the guy looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my forehead, so I just had a whiskey one the rocks. Then I noticed they had coke bottles in a fridge and asked for one. He was gonna pour it into a glass and then I said "dude I'm just gonna pour it over my whiskey and he shot me a familiar** look.

**I asked for bacon and egg tacos and the dude said "we don't do tacos on saturday." so I ordered bacon and eggs. He asked me if I wanted white or wheat toast and I asked if they had tortillas. The look is one of instant recognition and slight embarassment. It's a classic. It should have a name.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 12:42 am | Edited by: a cobb

Ginger Man

I think we have one of those in Austin. It was recommended to me when I was trying to get into beer. Holland was marginally more expensive I think.

EDIT: Oh, BTW I drank the BUD after TV Ghost left. I'm not a huge jerk who drinks people's beer while they're in bad situations. I'm a different huge jerk.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 12:49 am

cheapest alcohol in the country bar none

off the top of my head i can think of several that are cheaper. lacrosse lager is 12.29 a 30 pack. milwaukee classic lager is 9.47 a 30 pack, also available in light and ice. lost lake beer is 8.99 a case, making the cost for 30 $11.25. mountain creek is 8.48 a case, thats $10.60 for 30.

it took me something like six months to kill the Mountain Creek i bought. it sat in the crisper, unloved. I could barely give it away.
i'm drinking it again tonight, for the fifth night in a row.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 12:55 am

Anyone try the "new" Schlitz yet?

I'm drinking Point amber's (they're all of a sudden available in this part of Michigan). 12 pack of bottles 12.79 plus deposit. Not bad.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 1:23 am

Also I tried Natural Bohemian a few years ago when I visited Baltimore and it wasn't bad. But local beers have a home.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 1:43 am

Old German has got their stinky, shitty tasting foot in the Portland cheap beer door.

6 tall cans is like 3 bucks. It tastes horrible.

I like Tecate. It's $11 for an 18 pack at the RiteAid by my house. Not all that cheap, but on a hot day with a lime and some salt shaken on the top of the can it tastes so fucking good. The Gatorade of beers.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 3:00 am

so was iron city.
eeewwwhhh
"Fort Pitt, That's It"
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 3:02 am

*I ordered one and the guy looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my forehead, so I just had a whiskey one the rocks. Then I noticed they had coke bottles in a fridge and asked for one. He was gonna pour it into a glass and then I said "dude I'm just gonna pour it over my whiskey and he shot me a familiar** look.

**I asked for bacon and egg tacos and the dude said "we don't do tacos on saturday." so I ordered bacon and eggs. He asked me if I wanted white or wheat toast and I asked if they had tortillas. The look is one of instant recognition and slight embarassment. It's a classic. It should have a name.

Hahaha, total Five Easy Pieces action! fuckin' awesome!
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 3:12 am

I think we have one of those in Austin.

Yup. It originated in Houston, but you can read all that crap better'n I can explain it via the webpage.

It's modestly madcap. 70 draughts & 160 bottles, plus booze. Inventory there must be a sunovabitch.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 3:55 am

Am lookin' forward to earning my first PBR hangover at the Lamplighter, come the morning of Dec 30! They usedta have Stag on draft, positively the most gawdawful beer I've ever had but strangely addictive...
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 7:37 am

I like Tecate. It's $11 for an 18 pack at the RiteAid by my house

what it should be, in Memphis a 6 pack of Tecate cans will set you back $7 to $9...fucking criminal
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 9:19 am

Anyone try the "new" Schlitz yet?

It's surprisingly good---I can't think of a macro lager that tastes better, though at $6 a sixer, it's really not that cheap.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 9:55 am

i like that famosa. cool can stylee, too.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 10:29 am

Schaeffer is cheap as fuck at SuperLo.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 10:45 am

shlitz ice? NO WAY!
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 10:56 am

life is too short for cheap, shitty beer.

it gives you the shits, hurts your kidneys & you might as well drink water.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 11:06 am

Somehow I much prefer Tecate in bottles, but it's tough to find cheap.

Ice beer disappeared out here in Cali, but when I'm travelling I always look for a 40 oz of Mickey's Ice. The Molson ice was good too, but I only ever saw it in Detroit.

In general, Mickey's is the only "malt liquor" I drink, the other shit is just too sweet.

Y'all out there might not have "green death", Rainier Ale, two talls of that just don't give you a headache, they give you a SHARP headache. Rainier BEER isn't bad.

Remember Hamm's premium? Or was it Hamm's draft?
The beer refreshing! Whoooooooo has covered the jingle?
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=hc7HoWEk6y8
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 6:59 pm

Tecate in cans, Pacifico in bottes.

....and Hamms is the new PBR.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 8:10 pm

Remember Hamm's premium? Or was it Hamm's draft?

HGD, IIRC. Freddy's used to carry 12pks of bottles of it for real cheap. Those were the days.

....and Hamms is the new PBR.

My Father's Place charges more for Hamms than PBR. What's up with that?
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Tecate in cans,

One HOT day I rolled into the B-Side and being so hot, hungover and shit, all I wanted was a water. Then I noticed they had Tecate on tap AND served it in the little glasses. Pint of water, little glass of Tecate with a big hunk of lime lovingly squeezed and dropped into it was PERFECT. Gatorade of beer to be sure!
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 8:35 pm

Schaeffer is cheap as fuck at SuperLo.

This is probably my fave CHEAP cheap beer, but I usually just go with the new Schlitz if I'm buying beer.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 1:31 pm

here in lawrence kansas, the best bet is $5 for a twelver of hamms or $10 for a case of pbr light (which is what i've been rockin for the time being). usually to start fights though i go get a couple of King Cobras and a couple Sparks, side walk slam it for 6 bucks and hit the bars.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 1:49 pm

maybe not cheap... but there's a good article in the nyt about "low" (read: normal) alcohol microbrews.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/dining/27beer.html

supposedly the next big thing. yeah, I'm sorta sick of having to choose between domestic pisswater (which I love, don't get me wrong) and 8% microbrews that'll get you wasted in three servings (which I also love). some middle ground would be nice.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 1:53 pm

feelin' this Guatemalan stuff in a can, Famosa

Where that at?
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 1:55 pm

Ah, Schaefer. Somehow nobody carried it in Madison, WI, though it's brewed in Milwaukee. First saw it in New Orleans and thought it was a regional thing, haha.

Eventually I found some in some small town bait shack in southwestern WI, but never again. Can you buy it in Milwaukee?
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 1:57 pm

bought a 30 pack of coors extra gold for $11.99 last night. not bad!
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Also, I loved those LaCrosse 15-paks ($7 and change!) with the bullseye target on the back. Because there ain't much better than shootin' and drinkin'...
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:20 pm

feelin' this Guatemalan stuff in a can, Famosa....$4-5 a sixer! Drinkin this instead of Bush at the moment....

Had some of that this weekend. Tasty shit indeed! Might stop by the Midtown Mini-Mart tonight on the way home from work.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:52 pm

Also, I loved those LaCrosse 15-paks

huh???15pack?weird!
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Where that at?

got mine at Scooties....but it is found at many places
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 5:28 pm

huh???15pack?weird!

you know how you can buy a case of soda / pop in a cardboard tray with plastic wrap around the side and top? like that. the cardboard had a bullseye on the back for target practice.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:37 pm

stroh's used to come in 15 packs
and 64 ouncers of Little Kings
and what I meant bradx was tucson literally has the all around cheapest alcohol in the country (probably some midwest places might beat it but I ain't been there yet) stores and bars (really are there still alot of places you can get beers for $1 in a bar, or a beer and a shot for $2)
like I said it's the the only saving grace of this place
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:40 pm | Edited by: paristheatre

cheap? anything czech
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:44 pm

fuck yeah. giant flumes of Coor's Original for $1.25 at the Buffet. and what was that weird game where you pay $1 or whatever at hour x for anything you want later? they did it twice a night. awesome.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:50 pm

loved that LUCKY LAGER with the rebus puzzles in the caps... my folks drank lots of that. got good at solving puzzles, yep!

pretty sure it was 3.99 a 12 pack in the 70s. can that be right? gotta aks my dad.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:52 pm

shit! gotta run and get another before bradx's HERO speaks..
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 9:22 pm

yeah rebus on the lucky lager

pabst had playing cards on their bottlecaps for awhile...never did collect the whole pack

and that thing at the buffet is called happy minute
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 9:27 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

God I LOVED the Buffet. Used to have one o' their tees that said Tustoned, Azironia - or something like that - on it.

Sometimes I stand where the Lucky Brewery once stood and shed a tear. Did it last Saturday night, in fact.

Today I paid $4.23 after tax for my sixer of Rainier tallboys... cheep beer just ain't what it used to be.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 9:31 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Oh another favorite AZ bar of mine was the Library in PHX. Tuesday nights 7-10, small pitchers of bud for a quarter. Everyone's running around with a little pitcher in each hand, drinkin' straight outta the pitcher. Kick-ass spontaneous amateur fighting afterwards!

Saw Flots there a few times, brah.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 10:12 pm

I drank an assload of Natural Light for $1.99/6 pack in the 80s. I was fuming when Bush Sr. got a sin tax through & it bumped to $2.09. Compared to his mongoloid son, though, Sr. was a saint.

I dumped Natural Light for good one night when some friends & I were playing the boardgame Pass Out. I musta put back a case of that stuff myself that night & I wasn't pukin' or nothing. Even when I drank like a high schooler with a fake ID, a case of beer should've seriously laid me out. It didn't.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 10:20 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Hehehee! Have you heard the new Natty Light commercials where they actually call it Natty in the commercial???

Holy sheepdip, they got video too!!!

Mebbe they've had those for a while, but I just recently started hearing them in the great Northwest.

Natural Light reminds me of North Carolina, cuz last time I was there I saw a couple of Natural Light neons with the outline of the state of NC . I craved one of them bad...
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 10:25 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I drank an assload of Natural Light for $1.99/6 pack in the 80s.

Back in the 80s I was hitting whatever was on sale for $3.00-$3.50 a 12-pack. Usually Pabst, Burgie, Lone Star, Stag, Oly, Pearl...
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 11:24 am

Remember the old southwest grocery chain "Fed Mart"?

They had "BEER" which to me is the lowest priced shit ever..

99 cents a 6 back in the mid 80's....

Same crap otto drank in Repo Man...
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 5:24 pm

miller lowlife in a bottle, 12 pack for like 12 bux
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Liquor Barn was the Costco of alcohol in Tucson in the 70's and 80's 'cept you didn't need no membership

12 pack of miller for $12 is retarded, a 6 pack here is $4 and a 30 pack is $16

orangeboom 6 packs of tallboys at trader joes for $4
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 5:49 pm

miller lowlife in a bottle, 12 pack for like 12 bux

holy fuck! reason number 653 to never live in utah.
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 5:58 pm

thats only 653?
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 6:00 pm

I can get a 12 pack of Yueng Ling or Stella for practically 12 bucks. Loser.
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 8:10 pm

It's not necessarily cheap but I had me some Point beer when I was back in the U.P. a few weeks ago and man, that shit was good.
Posted: Jul 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Has anybody bought a $1.99 6-pak lately?

Trader Joes was having a close-out on "Simple Times" cans of lager (brewed in Wisconsin, somwheres) but those were $2.99.
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 3:14 pm

Carling "Black Label"

A couple bucks cheaper than Pabst by the 24 or 30.
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm addicted to Stella on tap at the pub I go to now near work. Even when I don't work there anymore I'll still go to this pub for ice cold Stella on tap. I drink bottles at home and it's not the same. Maybe I'll ice one up now!
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 4:05 pm

I was remeniscing last night about one time when I was waiting tables at Juan's in New Orleans. A four-top of two middle-aged, heterosexual, black, tourist couples sat down and I approached them to take their order. I asked them if they wanted something to drink and they asked me what kind of beer we had. I told them, "Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Lite, Pabst in cans," and then proceded to list the 6 or 7 Mexican beers we had. I think I slipped Heineken and Amstel Light in there too. They look at me in shock and say, "Y'all don't have Red Dog?!" "No..." And they get up and leave.
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 12:07 am

That " simpler times" from trader joes is damn good for the $. 6.5% alc is a good thing too.
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 1:19 am

thats only 653?

Just bought a 30 pack of ole gramps fave for $13, so, yeah, that is a fucking shame.
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 3:12 pm

iron city.

I love Iron City.

Pabst Cases are 9.99 at the place by my house. Cannot go wrong there.
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 3:18 pm

bought a 30 pack of coors extra gold for $11.99 last night. not bad!

Jesus Christ. That shit almost made me give up drinking when I was 20. I bought a 30 pack with a friend and drank about ten a piece. I contemplated a trip to the emergency room after my kidneys wouldn't stop hurting for two days. My friend whom I drank with was in the same boat. We may have gotten a bad batch, but that was enough.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®