Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / bike geeks
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 9:46 pm

brooks "swift" saddles: shit is expensive. what do you think?
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:15 am

Only your ass knows. Too subjective a topic. Good luck with that. Paying for a saddle that fits you is worth it, though. My current fave is the Fizik Airione. Only had a Brooks once, off a used bike, already broken in, but not to my squaredom. Didn't see the appeal of maintaining it in our rainy environs.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:20 am

Twenty years ago, it would have been my saddle of choice. Now? maybe I don't have the patience to break in a new one, and yes, rain can be an issue.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 2:32 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Only had a Brooks once, off a used bike, already broken in

Same here, and it was all sagged out. I ride at least M-F all year, rain or shine. It was just too much work to wipe it down and put a fan on it after every ride and plastic bagging it sucked too.

Only leather I got now is the Mesinger saddle on ye olde Western Auto cruiser. Only if I moved to the desert would I consider a Brooks on a daily driver.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 2:49 pm

i have a brooks team pro and its comfy and all - but its not to the point of a well worn in boot. assumed the swift would be as comfortable as any other leather saddle, but i mostly just like the swift because of the streamlined shape. money wise, the new cro-mo rail swift is exponentially cheaper than the titanium railed one, so after ass comfort, price is a factor.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 3:31 pm

I have a >45 year old Brooks saddle I got from my Dad.

It is cool to look at, and nice to have, but very fucking uncomfortable on my ass bones.

I bought a cheap-ass WTB Speed V, and it's way lighter, and way more comfortable.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:13 pm

I agree with The Troll. My new Felt came with a really nice racing saddle, but my wide sit bones couldn't tolerate it. I gave it 200+ miles, but it never got any better than excruciating. I put my old Specialized BG on there--not the best, but at least it's not a torture device.
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 12:24 pm

ditto.

I was never able to break the leather in comfortable.

and now I need "the love channel"
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Another vote for the Arione here. It's comfy and it looks fancy. I ran over a cat the other week, and hit a man who didn't look before crossing in the dark last Weds, but that was on my other bike with a Selle Italia saddle, so perhaps give their SLR XP a shot if you enjoy the contact element of cycling.
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Been watching the olympics and noticed that the time trialists and pursuit riders all just perch on the pointy end of the saddle. What's that all about?
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 1:43 pm

But I've seen you do that as well?
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Yeah, but you didn't notice the ferret between the seat and my bumhole. I don't think they allow ferrets in the olympics.
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 1:50 pm

You're a dirty man.
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 1:58 pm

What's that all about?

Depends but riders will often change their position to aid in certain activities. If you're sprinting, you don't want the back of your hamstrings pressing/slamming into the wide part of the saddle, so you stand up slightly (giving you a bit more pedal force) and slide forward. When climbing, some riders slide back as it can lengthen leg stroke and move the focus of pedal force slightly forward from straight down. That's one reason I like the Arione because it's pretty flat and you can find a comfortable position in a couple of spots. Their wing flex shit is stupid (I believe it's a design flaw as I'm on my fourth saddle after all of them cracked in half right across the wingflex area - got my replacements for free though) but I definitely don't get dead legs/ass with them. I was kind of tempted by the Specialized fit system. Another guy I know sat in their weird sitbone milk tray thingo and seems happy with his choice. It's all subjective, just like bike fit - which I highly recommend if you are having odd pains.
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Been watching the olympics and noticed that the time trialists and pursuit riders all just perch on the pointy end of the saddle. What's that all about?

As I understand it, the short answer is this: it’s an attempt to circumvent the rules, to be in a faster position.

The longer answer: The governing body of cycling has rules regarding the various dimensions of a bike. The motivation behind the rules is to make sure a bike looks like a traditional bike. They want to differentiate between traditional bikes, that have a frame with two triangles, and more broadly defined human powered vehicles, that allow for recumbent positions. HPV’s are faster than traditional bikes in many respects, but the rules are meant to prohibit them.

One of the bike design rules limits how far forward the seat can be in relation to the bottom bracket. Many riders have found that the position in which they can go fastest is one in which their seat is father forward than the rules allow. So, in order to stay within the rules, they move the saddle as far forward as is legally allowed, then scoot forward into an uncomfortable yet fast position on the tip of the saddle. Since the track events aren’t very long, being uncomfortable isn’t that big of a deal.
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 1:42 pm

I heard they ride fixed gear, and also since they're sprinting they have no reason to sit down.
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Since the track events aren’t very long, being uncomfortable isn’t that big of a deal.

Thanks for the explanation Bam Bam. Being a layman I was a bit perplexed by this. I suppose the time trials are relatively short too (47k) compared to the road races, but I still don't think I'd like to sit like that for a full hour riding up and down hills, etc.
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 3:14 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

but I still don't think I'd like to sit like that for a full hour riding up and down hills, etc.
When you've got the hammer down, there's not much pressure on your buttisimus.

-Jake Steinfeld
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Selle Italia saddle

actually, i have a selle regal. its not AS comfortable as the brooks. it has the brass rivets like the brooks (so it looks cool), but the rails are too wide for my miche seatpost.
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 11:36 pm

actually, i have a selle regal.

actually, blah blah blah...
so what. happy birthday.
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 7:33 pm

I have a B-17 standard. it's okay, but I do worry about getting it wet. Sure as hell never gonna pay $190 or whatever for their fancy saddles.
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 9:54 pm

shit, now i have other issues other than my ass. my left side crank arm is starting to round out. anyone have suggestions on fixing this? its a miche so i'm stuck with their proprietary bullshit.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 8:43 am

What do you mean 'go round'? Generally that's a good thing on a bicycle. Isn't Miche stuff compatible with other BB's at all? I'm glad I didn't buy their cranks, then.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 11:39 am

never had a crank round out? its when the crank bolts loosen to the point that the crank arm isn't tight on the spindle and the aluminum of the crank wears itself down on the hardened spindle. its one of the flaws of having a square taper bottom bracket. miche only fits ISO taper BBs: their own(total garbage), campagnolo, phil wood and i found a white industires ISO taper but it cost about as much as a phil wood. i think i caught it early enough that it isn't totally fucked, but now i have to check and make sure the bolt is tightened every time i ride. i guess i could replace it with a BB/crank set that is splined. i have a shimano 105 on my road bike that is splined and its pretty fucking solid. it just sucks about the miche. not cheap and its just over a year old.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 11:45 am

If they are rounded out, it's done. You could just tighten it up more until it finally bottoms out but you'd probably damage the BB too. Before you replace it, check the BB spindle to see if it's rounded out too, because then you'd have to replace both.

Why you taking your cranks off so much? When you put new ones on a new BB (save that saddle money and buy some Phil BBs) do not grease the spindle. Also, just tighten the crank arms on initial to a low torque (like 30 ft lbs), ride it a few miles and then check the torque again.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 11:46 am

Oops, too slow. If it's just the bolt, put a dab of the removable loctite on it.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 11:48 am

keep your crank fastening bolts tight! that's the solution. the only way this ever really happens is neglect.

I have a bike with a Shimano Octalink crank, and it kinda sucks-- I had to tighten the living hell out of it to keep it from going loose. My first three rides on that bike were interrupted by it. never really had the same issue with square taper.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 11:48 am

And the White BB is JIS, not ISO, so that wouldn't play nice with your chainline.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 12:04 pm

If they are rounded out, it's done.

yeah, i have had it happen before, so i know what the deal is. i haven't taken the cranks off of this bike since i put them on so its not like i've been fucking around with it. i did the break in period, and it was fine. seriously, square tapers suck balls. and fuck phil wood. not only are they expensive (yes, they make a good product), but they don't come with cups AND you have to buy a "special" phil wood tool to install the thing.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 12:06 pm

White BB is JIS, not ISO

no, they do have an ISO taper as well: http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id= 3499
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Nah, that's a misprint. When I bought mine at the NAHBS I went all over it with the White guys because I was confused from seeing that too. It matches their cranks, which are also unlisted but JIS.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 12:10 pm

If I had to do it over, I would've gotten the Phil because they seem a little better enclosed - something that would give me more confidence in not pulling the cranks off every year.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 12:20 pm

you know what really sucks? all that frou-frou external bearing / hollow axle bullshit they make these days.

and integrated headsets-- what a bunch of crap.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 1:44 pm | Edited by: guy

Is that Miche Primato? If you're looking for new cranks, I've run the Sugino Messenger for a while now, and they're pretty sturdy. You can use Shimano BB's with their stuff, too.

I had a Miche sprocket for a while, which uses a little carrier; nice idea, but once the sprocket has been on for a while, it wears at the carrier, and you get a bit of extra handy play in the chain. Nice. I'm saving up for an EAI...
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 8:01 pm

I'm getting a Uni.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 8:36 pm

Is that Miche Primato?

that it is. ugh.

Sugino Messenger

yeah, yeah. i know. shoulda coulda woulda....

EAI

what are you going to do with that???? fuck the hole? it is made of titanium and gold....
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 10:41 am

Is that what you did to your cranks? It'd be a waste to buy a cog that dear, when the chain would probably die first, and then you'd have to change both. Izumi chains are fucking noisy, I've found, so buy a different brand unless you want to sound like a lawnmower, even after a clean.
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 1:44 pm | Edited by: Joe

Alright, as someone whose less than a total "noob" but also less than expert, I need some advice.

After years of riding old English 3-speeds, and less time riding around on my dad's stripped-down, singlespeed Peugeot, I've decided that the perfect bike for me is one that marries the ideology governing three types of bikes: the English/Dutch cruiser model, the touring/rando model, and the siglespeed/fixie/track model.

Ideally, I'd like to procure something with the nimble yet relaxed geometry of a touring/rando bike, the upright seating position of the English/Dutch bikes, and the simplicity of a single speed.

Something like the <a href="http://www.swobo.com/catalog/product_info_b.php?cPath=201_1355"> Swobo Del Norte</a>, with the drop bars switched out for <a href="http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/handlebars_stems_and_tape?p age=2#product=16-122"> Albatross</a> or moustache bars seems like the perfect thing. Clearance for fenders and maybe some beefier tires to help deal with Chicago's shitty pavement.

But it seems a little silly to spend that kind of coin on a new bike when there are millions of used road bikes hanging around. The downside to buying used and customizing is that I've never built a bike before, and the time it would take to track down what I'm looking for is potentially a drag.

So what do I do? Any other new bikes that fit what I'm looking for but that won't cost me $700? Also, what's up with 650b? Pros/cons/etc.

Help a semi-noob out!
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 1:49 pm | Edited by: Joe

I dunno why the html didn't work.

Swobo Del Norte: http://www.swobo.com/catalog/product_info_b.php?cPath=201_1355

Albatross bars: http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/handlebars_stems_and_tape?pa ge=2#product=16-122
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Find an old road bike that fits, and then build it into what you want gradually using parts you like the look of. Make friends with people in a bike shop, ask their advice, and see what they suggest. Bike shop people can be really helpful and friendly, and save you a shitload of money in not buying tools by lending them to you. So buy them beer! And weed!
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 11:54 am

Find an old road bike that fits

This is proving to be REALLY difficult. Bikes sell fast on Chicago's Craigslist.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 1:56 pm

joe, you might want to try working bikes if not for a complete bike (you do get what you pay for - not a rip off, but a $30 bike is a $30 bike), at least you can get stupidly cheap used parts there and build something up.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 2:04 pm

all y'all are stoopid faggots
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Buy a high-end 80's road bike.

Throw away the dereal... direielleur........gears.

Have a bike nerd flop the hub and swap out the cluster for a singlespeed freewheel.

Buy some 'bars that you like, brake levers, new tires and a comfy saddle.

Ride it.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 8:30 pm | Edited by: The Troll

Miche Primato

I'm building up a new set of wheels right now (rebuilt Primato hubs with Velocity Aeros) and I'm getting a kick out of these replies.

Joe, my advice, and please, don't take offense - your follow through is on par with my father's - is just buy an off the shelf singlespeed. Building up your own ride, even on the so-called "cheap", will always, ALWAYS be more expensive. Especially if you sort of don't know what you're doing or don't have access to tools. There are tons of what you want already on the market in the ~$500-$700 frame. If you're interested, I'll list a few. That would be heaps cheaper for you to buy and change out the handlebars than convert some old road bike. Seriously. It's noble to be all green and the like but, hey, if you went that route do you see yourself staying under your $700 budget or completing your bike in the next six months? Whatever. Blah.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 8:30 pm | Edited by: jerryd

brooks "swift" saddles: shit is expensive. what do you think?

A lot of it depends on what kind of riding you're doing. Are you doing touring type riding or just tooling around the city? Some of those saddles would start to hurt after 10 miles unless you're wearing padded shorts.

Just go to Dicks sporting goods and get a $25-30 seat. Thats what i did and it's probably the most comfortable one i've ever had.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 10:20 pm

don't take offense

None taken, but what the hell does your follow through is on par with my father's mean?
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 10:21 pm

I'll list a few

Please.

do you see yourself staying under your $700 budget or completing your bike in the next six months?

Probably not.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 10:01 am

Specialized Langster, Kona Paddywagon, the Fuji track one, there are loads out there.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 10:07 am

Bianchi San Jose
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 11:22 am

Joe, what they said. Here's a thread with tons of bikes listed. Most of them are right around $600.

I see you as more of a bicycle travelist: enjoying the journey and not the details. In that sense, I don't think you'd enjoy the fussy nature of the bicycle pedant. Unless you had access to tools (like a bike co-op/collective) or had a friend with tools and knowledge, building up your own ride would be frustrating and expensive. Have fun.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 11:26 am

How about the Soulville? I don't know the price, but I could see you on this.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 11:58 am

Yeah, those are alright, but I go for more traditional frame shapes.

My way of doing things is always a little backwards... aesthetics, then practicality. It's worked out so far- I've learned how to wrench on American, German, and Japanese engines just because I liked the look of (and owned) the cars they belonged to.

I figure bikes will be the same way. What tools are considered "mandatory ownership" when it comes to bikes?
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 12:10 pm

A stand is immensely useful, but you can get by with a pipe clamp. A full set of allen wrenches. Tube of grease. From there, it depends upon the job you are working on. Park Tool has a very useful repair section that might clue you in on what you would need tool-wise. Their tools aren't the cheapest, so, keep that in mind if you are purchasing things, but they are good.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 12:29 pm

Park Tools are expensive, but you get what you pay for. I need to get a repair stand one of these days. I'm going with Park for sure. Quality tools plus it helps keep $$$ in the local economy.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 1:23 pm

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:01 pm

shouldn't all those girls be riding that bike i keep seeing all over the internet? the one with the dildo through the seat, that fucks you as you pedal?
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:11 pm

and by internet you mean your house?
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:19 pm

this'll learn ya

What in the fuck is this world coming to?
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:40 pm

and by internet you mean your house?

no, your MOM'S house!

i just keep getting funnier and funnier.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 8:07 pm

so, i got this new stem with a 40 degree downward angle. and its fucking badass. the whole angle throws me forward enough that i'm not fighting the cranks(a 50ish tooth) to get it rolling and i get going fucking FAST real quick like. also, stopping (its fixed gear) is even quicker and since my weight is thrown forward, cornering is way tighter.
TROLL...you got a problem with that???
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 11:15 am

Only if it's 'lite. (My friends give me shit for buying stuff. My last Thomson Elite seatpost became the springboard for anti-bling reference). "Is it 'lite enough?" "Nah, that ain't 'lite" "Fuck that ugly stem, bra, it ain't 'lite" "'Lite'll make me spin 3 more rpm". Race season has begun for me. Sigh.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Race season has begun for me.

you cross race?

the last pir race was last night.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 12:10 pm

you cross race?

Yup. The Kermesse stuff just started and the first real local CX is on the 13th.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 2:56 pm

Only if it's 'lite.

no way dude, its a $10 rockwerks
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 3:13 pm

I love Honda Waves.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 4:28 pm

Posted: Aug 28, 2008 6:33 pm

the last pir race was last night.

portland international raceway?

shit, where do I go mountain biking around here? forest park looks shitty.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 6:35 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

gotta drive about an hour to get to decent, legal singletrack. some around Scapoose, Welches, Washougal ( I <3 3-corner rock

dunno where to go if you're talking stunt riding on an MTB
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 6:38 pm

dunno where to go if you're talking stunt riding on an MTB

I see dudes hitting hits and pedalling back up on Mt. Tabor a LOT...
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 6:44 pm

no, just singletrack. fuck all that xrtreeeeeme downhill and urban crap. I've heard about the "scapoose freeride area"-- good, or is it all wooden ramps and crap?
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 6:47 pm

Dunno the MTB details, but Scappoose is close, and I ride dirtbikes out there alla time without being hassled by the man.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:29 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Here's the three corner rock trail. I've never tried the 2-track out, single-track back approach as described in that link, just single-track both ways. mebbe it's easier going out on the FS roads?? Remember, no riding on PCT when you get to it.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:47 pm

thanks a ton! I don't know anyone who mountain bikes up here and have barely touched my bikes since I got here.

the resources on where to ride seem cryptic....and the books on the topic seem to suck.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 9:47 pm

no problemo. might wanna call the ranger station before heading out. dunno if that bridge is still standing. I haven't been over there in a long time.

Lewis River Trail was the last one I hit (two years ago!) It was awesome, much mellower than Three Corner rock, but more crowded.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 10:09 pm

shit, where do I go mountain biking around here? forest park looks shitty.

for everyday shit, forest park is alright but illegal to off of leif erickson. powell butte can be fun. if you want some great shit, go out to hood river, mt. hood area. there are many, many tough, challenging single and double track courses out there. and if you got time, there are great trails up in mt. st. helens area. lewis river kicks ass. also down west of eugene, at 5300 majestic feet, waldo lake has some of the coolest biking in the state.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 11:30 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

for everyday shit, forest park is alright but illegal to off of leif erickson.

There used to be a couple trails on the north side that were legal. They were short and straight up and down, though. Only fun in one direction. Powell butte is fun, but the going in circles aspect turned me off there.

I'd love to check out some of the shit outside of Eugene, and Bend too , for that matter, but never have.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 11:34 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

When my friend's girlfriend lived out on the Coast Range up north of Manning, I hit all kinds a killer shit out there, most of it's private property, however. Girlfriend's little brother said he used to ride his Honda 50cc all the way out to the coast and back from there.

He put me on that Honda and I rode trails that took me 4 hours on my bicycle in less than an hour. My arms and legs were pretty damn lacerated, but it was worth it.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 11:41 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Leif Erickson was hella fun on my Trek 400 with triple chainrings and cyclocross tires fitted. Getting all muddy and flying back down past poseurs on $3000 Mt. Bikes!
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 1:50 am

Posted: Sep 8, 2008 3:44 pm

most of it's private property

does James Hetfield know about this?
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 4:04 pm

Great deals!

I was thinking, yeah, with shipping.... BUT IT'S FREE SHIPPING to the lower 48! Killer deals!
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 4:05 pm

Leif Erickson was hella fun on my Trek 400 with triple chainrings and cyclocross tires fitted. Getting all muddy and flying back down past poseurs on $3000 Mt. Bikes!

I've walked most of the Leif Erickson trail on a weekend. I know exactly what you mean-- guys on $3000 mountain bikes and no helmets.

I hate to criticize other peoples' gear, but when they drop that kind of money they might as well go all the way (like roadies). "get out of the way! I'm riding really seriously!"
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 11:34 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I've walked most of the Leif Erickson trail on a weekend. I know exactly what you mean-- guys on $3000 mountain bikes and no helmets.

I hate to criticize other peoples' gear, but when they drop that kind of money they might as well go all the way (like roadies). "get out of the way! I'm riding really seriously!"

Pfft, I'm a roadie. Rode my Pinarello the hundred miles to Tumwater, WA Saturday. No helmet. I only wear helmets when I'm on my mt. bike out in the sticks where having a concussion is a lot worse than having one in the city.

Oh, and since March or so, since Vancouver, WA made a helmet law for cyclists, I try to have one on when I roll through that joint.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 5:17 pm

so what's the word on these swobo bikes? the otis, or maybe dixon if i win a small lotto, look pretty perfect for my small, but hilly commute.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 5:34 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about that subset of roadies that try to do things all old-school...

Still, I'd hate to hit my head on a rock, anywhere.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 5:46 pm

Rode my Pinarello the hundred miles to Tumwater, WA Saturday.

what route do you take for that?
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 6:12 pm

Anybody have any opinions about Surly Steamrollers? I'm thinking about sending the ol' Trek to the glue factory.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 6:29 pm

Surly Steamrollers

really good frames. not sure about them component wise though.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 6:32 pm | Edited by: Paul Lips

http://www.surlybikes.com/steamroller_comp.html

Worth the $$$$? I might be able to find one for less around town. I'd rather try it out in person to make sure that I have the appropriate sized frame.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 6:35 pm

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 6:40 pm

Worth the $$$$

i've heard no complaints and know plenty of bike mechanics who ride them. thats a pretty good endorsement, i'd say.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 6:59 pm

there are so many steel singlespeed / fixed road frames on the market now that I'd really have a hard time plunking down $460 for a Steamroller unless something about it, looks or features-wise, really appealed to me.

there are an awful lot of similar frames for much less
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 7:02 pm

I own a Karate Monkey and a Cross Check and both have been fine. though fucking heavy.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 7:07 pm

there are so many steel singlespeed / fixed road frames on the market now that I'd really have a hard time plunking down $460 for a Steamroller unless something about it, looks or features-wise, really appealed to me.

Ahhhhhh yes! But Surlys are made in Mn. and I feel that it is my civic duty to keep the local economy afloat. I'll kick down extra $$$ if I know my $$$ is going to keep a brother gainfully employed.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 7:11 pm

sorry to burst your bubble, but Surlys are made in Taiwan. yeah, they're headquartered in MN and designed there too, but they're from one of those overseas factories that makes frames for shitloads of other brands.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 7:13 pm

Shit. Well I have a Schwinn Varsity that I can breathe gales of life into. Are Park Bicycle Tools manufactured in the U.S.?
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 7:20 pm | Edited by: Paul Lips

Park Tool has been manufacturing bicycle specific tools since 1963. Based out of St. Paul Minnesota, we are the world's largest bicycle tool manufacturer. A long-term dedication to quality, innovation, and customer service has made Park Tool the first choice of professional and home bicycle mechanics around the world.
[i]
Perspective is an important quality in any business. Our vision is shaped by more than 40 years of experience in the bicycle industry, beginning with retail stores. There we learned first hand the changing needs of quality bicycle repair and maintenance. Our first Park Tool product in 1963 was a repair stand, Model PRS-1, so unique and useful that we were granted a U.S. patent. We now hold many patents on our tool line, which is nearly 300 products, the vast majority of which are manufactured here in America’s heartland. [/i]

Any Park Repair Stand recommendations?
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 11:12 am

Depends on how many bikes you see yourself working on. If just your own, go with the cheaper clamp/stand. If you think you will be wrenching for the block, go with the more expensive and easily adjusted clamp/stand. Basically, it's just the clamp that differs.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 12:50 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Rode my Pinarello the hundred miles to Tumwater, WA Saturday.

what route do you take for that?

I roll the I-5 from 99th Ave onramp, just north of Vancouver. (You're not supposed to get on the freeway 'til the I-205 merge, but with the Klineline bridge out, I just jump on at 99th)

Take a little off-freeway jaunt thru Chehalis/Centralia (cuz the e-lane is only a foot wide there for flood damage repairs) Then I-5 the rest of the way to Airdustrial Way exit 101 - eastbound. Then roll over to the busstop kitty corner from the Chevron to catch a 12 or 13 bus to downtown OLY, where bus connections to Tacoma and Seattle can be found.

Mr. Tuffy's required, I bring a spare tire and two spare tubes also, unless you're a huge fan of changing tubes on the side of the freeway.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 9:31 pm

- oops, that's 99th street, not Ave...
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 4:07 am

Rode my first TT last night-

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2253010

0.77 miles in 2m13sec. Fucking hell, I thought my lungs were going to explode after that.
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 4:15 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I had a smoke in Kalama, and again in Castle Rock. Then, when I got to OLY, party on, Garth!

Lungs suck.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 10:20 am

After a metric century yesterday, my sit bones (and the area slightly forward of them) feel extremely bruised and sore. Not chafed, just sore as hell. Last night, I could barely sit. I tried to alter my position on the saddle and occasionally stand during the ride to try to prevent this. No luck. Part of it may have been my fault, as I wore a light chamois instead of a thicker one. But what else? Is this my saddle? Incorrect placement of the saddle? Bad posture? What? Maybe I should get one of those "frontless" saddles? Whaddya think?
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 10:32 am

Scratch that. I didn't think about the lessened lateral control with those saddles. They look goofy too.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 10:44 am

Incorrect placement of the saddle?

That's my guess. I used to get pain in my hips real bad after 50--60 miles. Then I had someone who knew there shit take measurements of all my parts, adjust for weight, and then set seat height, bar height, everything up according to some computer program. Genuis shit, I never was in pain again and could ride much, much further. Check and see if any of your local bike shops will take the time to fit your bike to you.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 4:36 pm

this seemed pretty straight forward: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 5:27 pm

Thanks. I've been tinkering with the idea of lowering the post, although I already have just a slight bend in the knees. Can't hurt to try it--not any worse than it already hurts I reckon.

I'm going to consult with Rod at RB's. No computer program, but he's kind of a fit guru.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 9:33 pm

i posted earlier on this thread about changing out my stem. that REALLY helped to knock out the stiffness and pain in my neck and ulnar nerve. maybe look into that configuration along with your seat post/saddle alignment.
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 1:43 pm

hey arman,

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 4:08 pm

changing out my stem
After sizing down to a 52, I was still having pain in my lateral muscles and shoulders (albeit not until after about 40 miles or so versus 10 on my old bike), so I swapped out the stem to one that has practically no length. It helped that for the most part, and it helped roll my pelvis back to a more upright position. Now it's just my poor sit bones. Still haven't made it to RB's.
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 11:16 pm

Check it, from the 3:00 mark on...

Had to wear that shit again today, at the SSCXWC - my toes still cry out and then are silenced...
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 7:12 am

So this is you in gold?
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 11:18 am

I wish I was Barry Wicks.
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 11:19 am

Posted: Nov 10, 2008 3:27 pm

Great! I rode down to the sea a month and a half ago on my fixed gear (42x16 ); this is the route we took. There were some beautiful views, and the whole thing took about 8 hours, spinning madly down the hills, grinding up 'em. About 90 miles in all - it was a great day out!
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 5:29 pm

this is the route

yeah, that looks like the route i would have taken...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®