Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / "Velvet Undergrounds" Squeeze
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 8:14 pm

I know its just Doug Yule... I heard one song called "friends" and it sounded like a "pleasant" Loaded outtake ( I mean that in a bad way)...Is the rest of it as bad as I have read.. A friend of my told me it "was worst than The Grateful Dead"... A box set called "final VU" came out a few years ago.. But to me that would be like buying a Velvet Underground cover band box set... Any thoughts??
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 8:17 pm

this?
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 8:20 pm

Totally !!! hahaha....
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 8:34 pm

But to me that would be like buying a Velvet Underground cover band box set
Well, plenty of people seem to dig Lou Reed's first load of albums and there are so many Velvets songs on them that he recycled it's not funny.

I've never heard "Squeeze", but it's got Ian Paice playing drums on it, so it can't be all bad, can it?
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Well, plenty of people seem to dig Lou Reed's first load of albums and there are so many Velvets songs on them that he recycled it's not funny.

Very true.. But at least he wrote them..
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 1:54 pm | Edited by: Ronnie Farnsworth

I've never heard "Squeeze", but it's got Ian Paice playing drums on it, so it can't be all bad, can it?
I read an interview where Ian Paice says he doesn't remember playing on it -- I have that album and it doesn't sound like him at all. Plus at the time "Squeeze" was recorded, Deep Purple were fucking huge and he was probably pretty busy, but I suppose it's possible. That said, "Squeeze" really isn't all bad, but I haven't listened to it for a few years so I can't say that it's memorable. I worked at a record store for a long time and when that Final VU box came out I ordered 4 of them for the store and I think 2 or 3 got stolen. The one I set aside for myself is still there with my name written on the price sticker.
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 2:13 pm

"Yule recorded the album Squeeze under the Velvet Underground name virtually by himself, with only the assistance of Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice and a few other session musicians.

Squeeze was released a few months later in February 1973, in Europe only."
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 2:17 pm

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 3:03 pm

I read an interview where Ian Paice says he doesn't remember playing on it
Turns out it wasn't Paice at all, it was this guy.
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 3:12 pm

Very true.. But at least he wrote them..
I think that Doug Yule wrote the tunes on Squeeze.
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 3:41 pm

When I was in college, I wrote a letter to Doug Yule's mother or sister (can't remember) and she sent me a cassette of Squeeze, just cause I told her I was a fan and couldn't find a copy. The internets weren't that big in 1997.

It wasn't that great of a record and it is in a shoebox somewhere in my closet.

True story. No kidding.
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 4:24 pm

probably not listened to any more than 2 times
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 9:10 pm

You can download "Squeeze" by clicking on this link. They're FLAC files, so prepare accordingly.
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 10:22 pm

When I was in college, I wrote a letter to Doug Yule's mother or sister

I know Yule's daughter...she will say, when asked about it, that the record is not good.
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 11:51 am

...she will say, when asked about it, that the record is not good and that she caught Nickelback three times on their last tour.
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 2:06 pm

Cum on and get your fur lined handcuffs and SQUEEZE in here into Stall No. 3, Minneapolis Airport Men's Room!

Lou Reed's got nothing on me 'cause I'm not gay either.

tap tap tap!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®