Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Soul/R&B DVDs/vhs
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 10:04 am

Got any recommendations? I have a couple and would like to hear of others that are worth checking out.

Yesterday we just got Respect Yourself the Stax Records Story DVD. Excellent documentary that was originally aired on PBS. Good mixture of old footage and current interviews with some of the key people involved. It's about 2 hours long and pretty detailed. Some old Otis R., Carla and Rufus Thomas footage among others. I would highly recommend checking it out.

Also another DVD we own is The!!!! Beat vol 3. I think there are at least 6 volumes of this, maybe more. For those who don't already know it was an R&B/ Soul show out of Nashville, TN in the mid 60s. The one we have has the Mighty Hannibal, Jimmy Church, Little Gary Furguson ...and several others. Some of the other volumes have Little Ester Philips, Etta James, Joe Tex and the on and on. I think they are fairly easy to come across. I've only seen the one we own, but plan to get some of the others in the future.

There was another show out of TN called the Night Train. But I have not seen this yet. Anybody else? Sounds like it would be interesting as well.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 10:11 am

The!!!! Beat

got 'em all and love 'em! i wanna know more stuff to get, too. are you a 60's ska fan? deadly dragon sound in nyc has a cool b&w dvd filmed at some resort in JA. has prince buster, eric morris (i think) and a bunch of others being back by byron lee's dragonaires (or some other house band).
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 10:57 am

Sounds cool. I'd like to check that out. I looked on the DD website and couldn't find it. Also looked for footage on youtube, no luck there either.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 11:02 am

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 11:03 am

you should try and track down wilson pickett live in germany, 1968. deadly shit!
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 11:15 am

Here is some of that Wilson Pickett.

Seeing that live must have been absolutely mind blowing.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 11:23 am

the version of 99 1/2 from that show is pounding.

i'm actually spinning "everybody needs somebody" at a show tonight in harrisburg. listened to it about three times yesterday and it hit me like ton of bricks!
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 11:42 am

Wattsstax!
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 12:05 pm

I don't think the 99 1/2 from that '68 show is on youtube. I'd like to get that whole show. I'm sure it's a killer.
I just watched a trailer for the Stax Watt. Some of that footage is in the one I have, but that is pretty much the entire Watt show in L.A. I'd like to see that.
Only watch this if you are very board 99 1/2 remix breakdance song. The bad guy from Happy Gilmore is in it.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 12:09 pm

I don't think the 99 1/2 from that '68 show is on youtube.

here it is:
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 12:12 pm

here's otis redding introing eric burdon singing sam & dave's "hold on i'm coming":

gotta be the best ever version of this song!
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 1:02 pm

Holly Smokes! Eric Burdon is a bad man!
Found a few places with that Wilson Pickett show on DVD. I'm gonna get a cheap boot copy.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 1:06 pm

where'd you find it? i want it!
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 1:12 pm

here's otis redding introing eric burdon singing sam & dave's "hold on i'm coming":

Yeah thats from Ready Steady Go. In 1966 they had a special episode that was all Otis Redding. Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody get Dave Clark to put that out.

For you Motown fans, there is an underground bootleg out thats interesting. The first part is a live show at the Apollo in 1963 and it was before everybody went to the "charm school". The Contours and The Marvelettes are the highlights. The second part is an episode of a 60's Detroit TV show called Teen Town. It features great footage of the Motown studio and a couple of shots of the Funk Brothers(there is hardly any footage of them).
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 1:17 pm

There's a great Otis Redding DVD that came out recently. I has lots of great footage, including live performances, TV appearances, and a the awesome music video for "Tramp".

What I really want to see is Sam Cooke "Live at the Harlem Square Club" (or a similar show) on video.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 1:19 pm

There's a great Otis Redding DVD that came out recently. I has lots of great footage, including live performances, TV appearances, and a the awesome music video for "Tramp".

no shit? link please!
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 2:23 pm

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 2:26 pm

Wow it's cheap too! Thanks!
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 2:35 pm

Matt, I got it at Soundscapes for about $13. You should check there first.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 2:42 pm

Awesome, I am actually going to be near there today. Thanks Alex!
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 2:45 pm

i know when i see that i'll be cryin' like a girl.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 4:35 pm

the big tnt/tami show has some killer performances
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 2:30 pm

Unfortunatly neither is on DVD
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 2:32 pm

That Otis Redding DVD looks amazing. I gotta get that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 3:00 pm

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 5:44 pm

holy shit that Wilson Pickett footage is KILLER!

anybody have that whole concert??

I gotta see that shit unCUT!
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 9:22 am

Sam Cooke's "Legend" documentary is really good...the Stax '66 European Tour DVD is THEE MOST CRUCIAL. I've been hard pressed to find anything better than Sam & Dave's performance on that one...

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 10:09 am | Edited by: Alisa

Was this one mentioned? "Shake - Otis at Monterey"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093951/
Pennebaker

Also Pennebaker, "Only the Strong Survive". They had the world premiere of this in Memphis and I was fortunate enough to be there. Pennebaker was there, and it was pretty amazing to see him. I think Carla was also in attendance.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308672/
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 1:59 pm

Only The Strong Survivewas good but that director has Michael Moore's disease. He is in a lot of shots, and the film was not about him.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 2:08 pm | Edited by: miss linda

Nerds!

Every last one of you!!
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 6:21 am | Edited by: Minus Matt

I've been hard pressed to find anything better than Sam & Dave's performance on that one...

Over 7 min version of that song, but worth every sec.

Otis at Monterey"
Only the Strong Survive"
Both look like they would be good.

What I'd really like to find is some stuff for people I have never even seen footage of, such as: King Coleman, Five Du-Tones, Johnny Sayles, Bobby Peterson Micky Lee Lane, Gino Washington, Dean and Jean, Don and Dewy..... if any exist.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 8:36 am

there's a clip of alvin cash on youtube doing (lipsyncing) twine time.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 6:44 pm

I got the Stax Live in Oslo and that's great.

I got a bunch of Motown DVDs, they're cheap too, but a lot of lip synch on there. What's cool is they have audio trax on there that are acapella recordings.

The Otis DVD has a lot of different performances, some lip synch. After seeing the Norway cuts, I had to get the entire show.

The Euros seem to have gotten around on video recording the shows so most live performances are from there. Americans wouldn't bother recording that junky race music anyway.

Some good Jackie Wilson performances on UTube.

Who knows when the TAMI show will be out on DVD --- there's somebody out there who has dubbed it off and selling it for $25. sorry no link tho.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 4:51 pm

That is a cool video. I have that 45 on Mar-V-Lus and a 2 others of his. Out of all 3 45s, I don't think there is a bad song on any.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 5:13 pm

you've never heard "keep on dancin'?"
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 5:25 pm

[i]There's a great Otis Redding DVD that came out recently. I has lots of great footage, including live performances, TV appearances, and a the awesome music video for "Tramp". [/i]

i actually thought this dvd was a bit of a disapoinment. almost all the footage was from old tv appearances, so it's mostly lipsynced stuff. i thinnk they only included one song from the monterey pop fest - which is really too bad, since the whole set was like, what? 20 minutes or so? they could have easily fit that on the disc. they only interviewed maybe 4 or 5 people for the documentary, too. the stuff on the disc is great, but it could have easily had more. you get the feeling that you bought something that was supposed have come as a bonus to a greatest hits cd or something...
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 10:18 pm

you've never heard "keep on dancin'?"

Oh yeah, it's on the radio all of the time. I didn't realize that was him.

you get the feeling that you bought something that was supposed have come as a bonus to a greatest hits cd or something...

That is a bit of a drag to hear. I was going to buy it last week, but never made it to that end of city. I am still going to get it. I think it will be worth 13 bucks to have all of the TV appearances on a DVD. But I was expecting it to have more interviews or some rare live footage.
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 12:24 am

Also forgot to mention, my girlfriend just ordered one of the Night Train DVDs. I've never seen any of them, but (from what I read) they are similar to The!!! Beat shows. It was based out of Nashville in the mid 60s. Here is a clip of Jackie Shane on the Night Train show.
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 1:16 pm

I've seen it, its from the TV show Shivaree.

Speaking of Alvin Cash, The Commodores (of all people), covered "Keep On Dancing".
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Unfortunatly neither is on DVD

Actually, they both are. I ordered the TAMI Show disc last week in fact; it just showed up.
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 8:36 pm

Also got the new James Brown 3DVD set - it's great.
Posted: Aug 19, 2008 5:05 pm

Actually, they both are. I ordered the TAMI Show disc last week in fact; it just showed up.

The T.A.M.I Show is finally legally on DVD?????

Do tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 8:21 am

The T.A.M.I Show is finally legally on DVD?????

Do tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it IS on DVD, the legality I'm sure is dubious.
I got it from the Video Beat website. Bradx provided the link above.

I know there has been some kind of effort to get an official version out there within the last couple of years, but to no avail so far. I think Dick Clark's people own the thing and maybe it isn't the biggest priority for them, I dunno.
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Ok I was wondering. I got a pretty good bootleg copy of the that myself.

Last I heard it was tied up with Dick Clark's people for whatever reason.

Also the Beach Boys own the rights to their segment in The T.A.M.I. Show. That brings another problem. Last I knew the surviving members of the Beach Boys were not on friendly terms.
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 6:34 am

Those The Beat!!! DVDs are awesome, but premium price... for total kicks, you should get the Howlin' Wolf Story DVD (RCA), which has some earth-shattering stuff on it... those Scorsese blues flicks were kinda OK, the real killers of the bunch were Clint Eastwood's Piano Blues and The Road To Memphis, which has some awesome shake-dancing at a Bobby Rush gig...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®