Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Pitchfork 2008 Fest - proves pop-indie has no soul
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 10:58 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

I went to watch Jay (played 1:30) and because my gf loves Jarvis (8:00pm). - I had to stay pretty much THE WHOLE TIME, at least for the SAT. show, thank god I wasn't at the Sunday show.

It rained for a few hours, there were lots of hip, Urban Outfitters and American Apparel queers roaming about.
Doing this dance, somewhere in between the 'hippy hippy shake' and the 'raver shuffle.'
Some of these ultra cool people were crazy, they were going shoe-less, and wondering in the mud. It was like Woodstock '94, except with way waaay more boring of music.
After Jay played (wearing a Oblivians Pill Popper shirt), there was a drone of boring-ness.
This band called Fleet of Foxes had 15 songs that all sounded the same - boring.
I guess I never realized how soul-less (popular) current-indie music was until I was forced to hear it for 8 hours.

Plus my car window got broken out at noon, in front of the Empty Bottle before the show -- so yeah, this was a great time!
Luckily the window they broke out, was on a door that didn't open.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 11:27 pm | Edited by: paristheatre

Woodstock '94, except with way waaay more boring of music. that gave me a chuckle. Quel horrible.

but on a related note last week I went to stand outside Mr. Reatard's Prospect Park show, forgoing the $35 cover that was largely reserved for Spoon (??) who was headlining. Anyhow, I got there late somehow...8pm and Jay was way over, so I stuck around to finally hear Spoon whom I knew was gonna suck by lip service alone, but wanted to hear it for once to be sure. Just in case no one hipped you already: that spoon shit is terrible.

and on a re-related note also this week I was thinking how if I could get a 7" of I See You Standing There b/w Motorcycle Leather Boy I'd listen to it constantly. Then I'd sell it on ebay when I was in a bad mood and spend my winnings on something frivoulous and regret it later. Why why why did I sell that record??
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:46 am

b4kjn345kmgf4l5kgfmv 5;lgki45lgvkm45vji45wimtrevr
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:47 am

GENIUS!
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 1:20 am

You'd think the man could at LEAST find the space bar!
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 1:45 am

if you're lucky,

this:

I never realized how soul-less (popular) current-indie music was until I was forced to hear it

is what leads you to this:

a 7" of I See You Standing There b/w Motorcycle Leather Boy
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 1:58 am

Plus my car window got broken out at noon, in front of the Empty Bottle before the show -

next time you just shouldn't come. seriously. spread the word.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 2:23 am

f you're lucky,

this:

I never realized how soul-less (popular) current-indie music was until I was forced to hear it

is what leads you to this:

a 7" of I See You Standing There b/w Motorcycle Leather Boy

and, if you're truly blessed, to this:

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 2:41 am

Wow, I feel lucky that the JR show here is only $12 and also features Cheap Time.

on the other hand, having an opener I care to see negates the point I made tonight at dinner: at least we'll only be standing around a douchy hipper-than-thou indie rock club for 20 minutes, tops.

I couldn't be bothered to pony up for tickets last time he came through town with Blueshammer...er, the Black Keys.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 3:53 am

i heard some of the fest
but i didn't even have to
leave my bed
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 7:54 am

Pitchfork 2008 Fest
i hate pitchfork as much as anyone and the fact that jay reatard was playing was not going to instantly make it better or add any amount of credibility to it, so guess what: I DIDN'T GO. so no complaints from me or anyone else who DIDN'T GO.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 9:19 am

DIDN'T GO
well guess what slick I DID GO becuase my girlfriend wanted to see that guy from Pulp play a set.
I didn't think Jay would make it instantly better, go ahead and point out where I did.
I just thought that this is festival for young people, maybe some of it will be alright - but all of what I heard was really boring and jam-band-ish.
Nothing against Chicago Kevin!!!!!!!
No offense fags.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 9:27 am

not going is the new pink.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 9:33 am

really boring and jam-band-ish. I feel ya on the boring part. It's like idie-pop finally came through the whole gang of four knock off era and entered into a new era of 'expressive' neutral milk hotel raped by the arcade fire drivel schtick that's just so goddam embarrasing.

Actually, scratch that, it's not embarrasing..that would suggest getting a 'feeling' from it.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:05 am

DID GO

its a nice thing to go with your lady, no doubt there, and it IS a festival for "young people". those "young people" have a completely different choice in the music they obsess over. one interesting thing was brought up to me, the fact that dinosaur, jr. STILL rakes in the under 21 year old fans.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:10 am

I wasn't there for Dinosaur or Public Enemy, that would have been pretty rad.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:25 am

i would love to go to a festival. something big and gross and regretful.

I heard ZZ Top played a free show--yeah, FREE--in Potsdam two weeks ago. AND I DIDN'T KNOW. d, are you out there? tell me again that great story about seeing them when you were in junior high. on the movable platform. i wanted to live that myself!
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:33 am

something big and gross and regretful.

wait, you're in germany and you haven't gone to a 150,000 person outdoor metal festival?????
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:38 am

no, but, dude, i would LOVE to. that shit costs a fortune here. not to mention, i cannot read german and have no earthly clue what is going on on any given day.

thin lizzy is coming and iäm begging fitz to shell out the bread to go. he says no phil, no way. but i say, hey, i saw a thin lizzy cover band with sommersten and marko in YONKERs and they SLAYED. so who needs that chocolate brown satin pillow (credit to c. rabinovitch on that moniker)?

actually, but seriously, i told alberto i\'m out of the rock world. and he goes, you\'re out of the rock world?
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:43 am

iäm--just keep using umalauts and big rock shows will surely come your way.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:49 am

cannot read german

you don't need to be able to translate hegel if you see the words "saxon", "motorhead" or "accept".
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:58 am

alas, motorhead played at the beginning of july. i forgot.

i need to stop before i sound like iäve turned into a complete dullard.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 11:04 am

cannot read german and have no earthly clue what is going on on any given day.

That's true:
in Germany they spell Motorhead as Triebwerkkopf on posters.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 11:14 am | Edited by: dustymedical

i went to pitchfork once, a couple years ago... the first band on Saturday (Hot Machines) and the last band on Sunday (Os Mutantes) were the only things worth watching. Drank a lot of free beer inbetween and wondered how the hell people can listen to, let alone worship, this crap they call "indie-rock" these days. bleh. that being said, there's nothing wrong with Jay or the Shrines or whomever playing and getting some new fans along the way, more power to 'em.

PS The Hold Steady = worst band in America???
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 11:53 am

I heard KK and the Shrines blasting at Urban Outfitters yesterday...

What can Pitchfork do for you?
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 11:55 am

there's nothing wrong with Jay or the Shrines or whomever playing

i agree there's not, but them playing won't entice me to go to pitchfork or the $15 "after-party" either. yes indeedy "more power to them".
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:07 pm

the first band on Saturday (Hot Machines) and the last band on Sunday (Os Mutantes) were the only things worth watching.

wait a minute, i was there that year and the best band of the whole thing was mission of burma. they played in the middle of the afternoon in scorching heat and didn't piss and moan like some other acts did they just fucking blew the place up.

and rich, nothing personal, i just hate that every year there's this weekend that totally fucks up my neighborhood for something that i have no interest in (if not outright disdain for).
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:13 pm

I have to listen to that crap all day at the store (unless I hijack the turntable). It is utterly depressing and makes my day seem 10 times longer. Whether it's new wierdo folk, indie-art preciousness or (I'm afraid I have to say it, even though I live in the epi-center) the new "shitgaze" knock offs that are springing up by the dozens. Not too crazy about the umpteenth re-emergence of "garage soul" either.

What ever happened to hate? Aren't any of these people frustrated, or has life become that easy? Here we are heading into the abyss, and people want to re-enact some lame approximation of the 60's counterculture. I keep wondering when people are going to realize we (as a world) are fucked, and respond to it with their music. There is no violence in music anymore. I don't mean this in an obvious way. I mean it more in the "violence" of unacceptable ideas. The stretching of the boundaries of what is acceptable. Pitchfork is the epitomy of complacency. Why would you expect to be entertained by that, if you were looking for something actually real and interesting? And yet it presents itself as the cutting edge. We have the Wexner Center here in Columbus that does the same thing. Presents these same lame hyped bands as "art". The guy who runs it wouldn't even check out Tommy Jay's record until he read about it on Other Music's website and decided it had to be cool if people in NYC were hyping it.

I don't even know why I writing this.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm

What ever happened to hate? Aren't any of these people frustrated, or has life become that easy? Here we are heading into the abyss, and people want to re-enact some lame approximation of the 60's counterculture. I keep wondering when people are going to realize we (as a world) are fucked, and respond to it with their music. There is no violence in music anymore.

what a load of bollocks

there's about a zillion blogs out there like this one:

http://sickness-abounds.blogspot.com/search?q=
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:29 pm

i just hate that every year there's this weekend that totally fucks up my neighborhood for something that i have no interest in (if not outright disdain for).

try every fucking weekend in humbolt park where caribbean garbage is being pumped from the park proper or some PRs best buy 500 watt jam box in their window with the speakers aimed at the street
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:36 pm

there's about a zillion blogs out there like this one

There's a zillion of everything on the internet and none of it means anything...
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:44 pm

I turned down two free passes to Pitchfork this year. Nothing short of a request from a dying relative would land me in that shitpit.

The Bottom Lounge show was strange. I didn't go to the fest, and since I never go out anymore and have no reason to go by the West Loop, I hadn't been exposed to any of this stuff -- Pitchfork may as well have happened in another city altogether. But when I got the club, it was almost like Daley had bussed in hundreds of hip kids from various parts of the country to attend this show. It was like an exaggerated movie "concert."
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:46 pm

There's a zillion of everything on the internet and none of it means anything...

Whatever dumbass.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 1:11 pm

my girlfriend wanted to see that guy from Pulp play a set.

sounds like its time for a new girlfriend.
or at least a good brainwashing.

I heard KK and the Shrines blasting at Urban Outfitters yesterday...

why the hell were you hanging
out in urban outfitters?
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 1:20 pm

Jay Reatard likes Memphis, hates you.

(scroll down for photos and interview)
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 2:00 pm

Hating Pitchfork is like shooting fish in a barrel, and I got tired of mocking it some years ago. But now I live in a Pitchfork-approved town (Portland!) with whole shitload of whippersnappers that worship that stuff. It's rekindled the hate flames a bit.

Did Pitchfork purge all their laughably bad reviews from '96-'98 or so?
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Hating Pitchfork is like shooting fish in a barrel

agreed.

i was there exactly two hours on sunday night and saw one of the best sets of my life! walked right up before Raekwon and Ghostface Killah, left with enough time to buy exactly two beers and walk right up to an awesome spot for Spiritualized and saw an unbelievable (unbelievable!!)set and then walked right out of there. It was a great time.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 2:28 pm

I don't know that that's true, but I certainly don't get what's so great about 'em. Everything I've heard has ranged from meh to borderline embarrassing. Someone clue me in, please.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 2:41 pm

What ever happened to hate? Aren't any of these people frustrated, or has life become that easy? Here we are heading into the abyss, and people want to re-enact some lame approximation of the 60's counterculture.

Those lameasses wouldn't know a Crass record if it bit them in the ass.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Those lameasses wouldn't know a Crass record if it bit them in the ass.

While it certainly doesn't mean the vast majority of the people in attendance weren't lameasses, there were indeed 6 Crass albums sold to festival-goers this past weekend.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 2:57 pm | Edited by: Paul Lips

I will file Executive Clemency for those six individuals. Or was six records to the same dude?
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 3:03 pm

I think it was 5 people; some guy bought both "Penis Envy" and "Christ the Album."
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 3:18 pm

why the hell were you hanging
out in urban outfitters?

Do you know any girls? Girls shop...it's what we do. We inherently learn to tune out the bullshit. To say I purposely went there to sneer and feel superior would be ridiculous. I bought a wallet, it's cute.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 3:19 pm

why the hell are you a girl?

so not punk.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 3:38 pm

what the fuck is pitchfork?
for that matter, what the fuck is pop indie?
no, wait a minute, dont tell me.
i have a feeling in this case ignorance truly is bliss.
and i'm happy, very very happy.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 3:48 pm

I think it was 5 people

not sure how many we sold, but hard boiled had our new vinyl for sale there as well. can't wait to play the sunday, 1:30pm slot next year. fingers crossed!
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 3:52 pm

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 4:04 pm

P-fork might have credibility if they ever liked something different than the rest of the stuff they like
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 4:06 pm

oh.
well egg on my face.
i thought you were a dude.

i don't shop.
i listen to metal.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 12:55 pm

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:13 pm | Edited by: paristheatre

Jesus Christ ^ those photos are just one of many very good reminders as to why I'm so glad I don't live in the Midwest anymore. ugh. Fuck that region and everyone in it.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:23 pm

oh ho ho ho, those photos just made my day.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:24 pm

no soul and less fashion sense.

Real people don't stand like that...
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:29 pm

esus Christ ^ those photos are just one of many very good reminders as to why I'm so glad I don't live in the Midwest anymore. ugh. Fuck that region and everyone in it.

right.... because the midwest has a monopoly on people dressing like douchebags... i'm sure half these idiots flew in from around the country for the festival anyways.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:33 pm

lived in Ohio for 4 years. and yesthe midwest has a monopoly on people dressing like douchebags
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:33 pm

that one dude with the glasses and the magazine stuffed in the pocket of his white pants was trying to hide an erection.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:41 pm

um.........I spent my first 24 years in the midwest and I swear to god-- bad fashion is far, far more prevalent on the coasts. Williamsburg, anyone??
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:49 pm

Not sure about worst band in America, but maybe worst band getting any sort of attention. I wish people in the Twin Cities would stop claiming them as ours, because that shit could only come out of Brooklyn.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:49 pm

that one dude with the glasses and the magazine stuffed in the pocket of his white pants was trying to hide an erection.

stop looking at hip dick
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:51 pm

well now just as pf is an easy target I'd say williamsburg is about as easy a target as they come. But to compare fashion there to fashion in the midwest is downright laughable.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 2:04 pm

So you're saying that the midwest tries to look fashionable and somehow gets it wrong? And that the typical nyc hipster somehow pulls it off?

Same fucking thing, if you ask me. If anything the concentration of moneyed brats playing dress-up is greater in the Big Hip Cool towns like sf and nyc, so there's more idiots walking around looking like that. And maybe more expectation to do so, or even competition to look more like that.

Hipsters don't really want to be in the Midwest-- they all want to get out to the cool hip cities where they can really become the social butterflies they deserve to be. So if anything you've got a migration of these kids away from the Midwest. They're only there because they're a few credits away from a Bachelor's degree in photography (or whatever), and upon completion they'll move out to _______ and really get that art career off the ground.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 2:09 pm

John Norris from MTV was at the festival - he had highlights in his hair.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 2:18 pm | Edited by: paristheatre

So you're saying that the midwest tries to look fashionable and somehow gets it wrong?

no

what I'm trying to say is what I said above- those photos are just one of many very good reminders as to why I'm so glad I don't live in the Midwest anymore. ugh.

that's all.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 2:34 pm

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 2:43 pm

the dude in white and waving is not trying to hide his hip dick
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 3:26 pm

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 4:02 pm

Hipsters don't really want to be in the Midwest

Exactly, and how many of those hipsters in Brooklyn are actually from there? Like they're hasidic Jews or something ...
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 4:03 pm

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 4:07 pm

From the AV Club weighs in:

7:25pm, Sean: Backstage in the line for free Chipotle burritos, Spoon's Britt Daniel uses the old "Just wanted to say hi"not trying to cut the line!" trick on me to cut the line. He tells the Chipotle rep how he used to be a stockholder in the company, but sold it when it dropped below 80 points. "Oh, but we just closed at 89!" she says. "No, I'm pretty sure you closed at 72," he says, as they play an uncomfortable round of "respectfully disagree." Then he pulls out his Blackberry to check. This is perhaps the least rock 'n' roll thing I have ever witnessed.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 4:22 pm

yeah, spoon.. totally awesome
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 4:28 pm

For obnoxious, empty-headed fashion plates, nothing tops the coasts. Also - you started a Nitzer Ebb appreciation thread. Go suck your dick.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 7:55 pm

The word "hipster" officially means nothing at this point. Your parents will be using it soon. Talk to their hand.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 9:12 pm

The word "hipster" officially means nothing at this point.

I disagree, it means what the media tried to call Generation Y.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 10:12 pm

I don't know, but they have the best publicist in America, that's for sure.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 10:20 pm

no soul and less fashion sense.

those photos just made my day.

I haven't seen that many pale looking people since i saw "The Descent"
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 12:55 am

I disagree, it means what the media tried to call Generation Y.

OK, but you're likely what others would call a "hipster." Revel in it.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 1:01 am

so am i gen y or hipster or what? i just don't get the kids these days, i think i'm gen w or something,
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 1:11 am

You're generation NOT A HIPSTER. You have to look like Stephen Hawking (w/ wheelchair, otherwise it's ironic) and listen primarily to Enya. Only then can you comfortably appreciate what you like.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 1:15 am

so if i listen to enya primarily i can comfortably appreciate what i like?

SWEET[u][/u]
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 1:44 am

this is great!

3:25pm, Andy: The tambourine player had no trouble keeping time, which wouldn't have proven noteworthy if not for the fact that he was floating on top of the crowd after stage-diving just to the left of the maraca player. The throng in front of the stage went nuts, definitely then and pretty much the whole time as King Khan & The Shrines leaned into grooves swiped from old soul and R&B. It was a time-stamped sound but positively active"the kind of horn-heated funk you sometimes hear at parties and leave wondering "Why don't I seriously collect that stuff with, like, all the time and money I otherwise waste on things like eating?"

coverage on pitchfork or a slot in their festival...a festival with public enemy, dinosaur, sebadoh, mission of burma, jay, khan, animal collective...WOW. rad. sounds good.

and what is wrong with kids kicking fashion? jesus. you think the stones were all savile row? hendrix? sly? come on. they're kids.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 1:49 am

and the spoon guy checking his stocks? if you made the kind of money he's probably making after a decade or more of all this, and you didn't invest in the stock market, you'd be an idiot. give the guy credit for watching his wealth grow. jagger, anyone?
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 2:39 am

and the spoon guy checking his stocks? if you made the kind of money he's probably making after a decade or more of all this, and you didn't invest in the stock market, you'd be an idiot. give the guy credit for watching his wealth grow.

Maybe, but he's most certainly douche for cutting in line to get a shitty corporate burrito, then talking stock prices with the server, and then whipping out a Blackberry to prove himself right. Idiot.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 2:53 am | Edited by: jenna

what is a corporate burrito? EVERY burrito you eat--unless you grow your own garden like maybe theresa is doing--is corporate. buying a burrito at a booth with a slogan painted on it does not make it more corporate than pulling the fixings out of your fridge. all of our food is grown, produced, shipped, and sold by corporations.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 4:44 am

all of our food is grown, produced, shipped, and sold by corporations.

Eat your greens
Don't forget your beans & celery
Don't forget to bring
Your fake I.D.
Eat a bunch of these
MAGNIFICIENT
With sauerkraut
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Sauerkraut!
Eat a grape, a fig
A crumpete too ...
You'll pump 'em right through
Doo-wee-ooo

Eat your shoes
Don't forget the strings
And sox
Even eat the box
Your bought 'em in
You can eat the truck
That brought 'em in
Garbage truck
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMouldy
Garbage truck
Eat the truck & driver
And his gloves
NUTRITIOUSNESS
DELICIOUSNESS
WORTHLESSNESS
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 7:30 am

except this one

URL
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 7:49 am

yup,
that must be The Modern Underground for record store clerks like Shenigan

and record store owners are still wondering 'why, why, why is my shop goin down the drain?'

BECAUSE OF THE SHITHEADS YOU EMPLOY!
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 8:14 am

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 8:14 am | Edited by: jerryd

except this one

Damn, Baker! Give a little heads up about the content.

It's too early in the morning to see that shit.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 8:27 am

what is a corporate burrito?

You're a corporate burrito.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 8:50 am

THE MIDWEST HAS THE BEST LOOKING HIPSTERS. THE COASTS CAN FUCK OFF.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 8:55 am

EVERY burrito you eat--unless you grow your own garden like maybe theresa is doing--is corporate. buying a burrito at a booth with a slogan painted on it does not make it more corporate than pulling the fixings out of your fridge. all of our food is grown, produced, shipped, and sold by corporations.

This argument is reductive and stupid. You're an idiot. Chipotle is owned by McDonalds. Even by your logic, this has to be more "corporate" than some mexican illegal who opens a burrito stand yet buys her produce at Safeway.

Dead Moon is the only true non-corporate band because they own their own record lathe? Some douchebag crusty writing a zine is corporate for "xeroxing" it at Kinkos? I'm going to write Slugs and Lettuce and threaten to out them as posers unless they start making their own paper, ink and printing press.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 8:55 am

THE MIDWEST HAS THE BEST LOOKING HIPSTERS. THE COASTS CAN FUCK OFF.

Yeah, but Chicago can still suck a dogs dick.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 9:03 am

Gesundheit!
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 9:35 am

Chipotle WAS owned by McDonalds. They got out in 2006. I just check on my Blackberry.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 9:38 am

christ, mr. lastname, trim down your coke nail and let your heart-rate come down. I'm more than likely old enough to be your father, and judging from your lack of ability to make a clear judgment, more than likely am your father.

The word "hipster" does mean nothing, except that now, and over the past few years it is used to a huge degree by older people on younger people as a disparaging remark. The media used to call the generation after what they dubbed generation x, generation y, because they are that stupid. Shortly they will start calling them, or maybe there is another generation now, the "hipster" generation because they have crazy haircuts and tight pants and ugly teeshirts and because that is mainstream.

Regardless of that having nothing to do with the origins of the word, or even Mailer's short story about the white negro, that is where it is.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 9:40 am

BECAUSE OF THE SHITHEADS YOU EMPLOY!

Do I dectect envy, dingle? Our record store is actually doing well enough. Primarily by selling used vinyl, and not by selling new releases, although we sell a lot of that too. I was talking about over-hyped stuff, not necessarily what is found on the ground level. How many of your favorite bands have I played show on a bill with? Probably just about all of them.

You obviously don't know shit about me, but feel free to vent your frustrations some more...
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 9:46 am

christ, mr. lastname, trim down your coke nail and let your heart-rate come down. I'm more than likely old enough to be your father, and judging from your lack of ability to make a clear judgment, more than likely am your father.

I'M SO ANGRY!

I'M 27 YEARS OLD!

I CAN'T MAKE CLEAR JUDGMENTS!

CAN I GET A BUMP?
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 10:23 am

no
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 10:30 am

Do I dectect envy, dingle? Our record store is actually doing well enough. Primarily by selling used vinyl, and not by selling new releases, although we sell a lot of that too. I was talking about over-hyped stuff, not necessarily what is found on the ground level. How many of your favorite bands have I played show on a bill with? Probably just about all of them.

You obviously don't know shit about me, but feel free to vent your frustrations some more...

I should envy you for what exactly? I don't know shit about you, except that your comment was very, VERY dumb.
If that link I posted puts up over-hyped stuff tell me where it's over-hyped and I'm moving there today.

I am just - venting frustrations here - so fuckin tired of record stores where the only guy who's taste you trusted gave up and just yells 'fuck indie!' once a week because that's the role he's supposed to play, but if you ask him for a record (hate, angry, heavy, whatever)and he never has a clue what you're talking about, because he's too lazy, or just tired of new music, and yeah, I've just had about enough of that. I am also tired of record store clerks who think that music blogs are redundant. They have a huge impact on music these days, in many ways, and if you work in a record store and pretend to be Cool Hand Dude, you better know your shit. My god, the internet makes it so easy to figure out what's goin on. And if you say that the internet is just emptiness, you should retire, move to Florida and put your feet up.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 10:40 am

You seem to miss my point. I'm talking about what is hyped in the mainstream or near mainstream music press. Why else would I reference Tommy Jay, who is practically unknown, being ignored in his own hometown by someone in a powerful promotional job who only reads what is hyped? That was my point. I admit I overstated it to a degree, but popular independent music is not very adventurous these days, in my opinion. Also, I don't want to listen to Fleet Foxes or She & Him all day.

I help book bands in town and in the store itself. So I hope I'm doing my part to promote the music I like.

My point with the internet is that there is so much out there, it becomes overwhelming.

And, by the way, I'm already retired. I work at a record store, remember? Thank god it's not in Florida though.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 10:46 am

what is a corporate burrito? EVERY burrito you eat--unless you grow your own garden like maybe theresa is doing--is corporate. buying a burrito at a booth with a slogan painted on it does not make it more corporate than pulling the fixings out of your fridge. all of our food is grown, produced, shipped, and sold by corporations.

way to totally miss the point you fucking idiot.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 11:11 am

way to totally miss the point you fucking idiot.

Byarguing against her point, I missed the point.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 11:17 am

I'm talking about what is hyped in the mainstream or near mainstream music press.

Well, I totally missed that point, because that wasn't in your comment, but if that's what you mean, we have no disagreement at all on that point.

popular independent music is not very adventurous these days, in my opinion

Underground is 'populair independent music'?
No. But some underground is damn fuckin popular (and totally independent). If you don't know it's out there and you work in a recordstore wearing the 'Cool Dude Overhere!'- button', you're a fuck up in my book.

This is what you stated:
What ever happened to hate? Aren't any of these people frustrated, or has life become that easy? Here we are heading into the abyss, and people want to re-enact some lame approximation of the 60's counterculture. I keep wondering when people are going to realize we (as a world) are fucked, and respond to it with their music. There is no violence in music anymore. I don't mean this in an obvious way. I mean it more in the "violence" of unacceptable ideas. The stretching of the boundaries of what is acceptable.
and that's bullshit.
That music is still around, underground. And you only need a couple of
links to get a nice roadmap on the internet that leads you to 'What's Goin On'.

I worked in a recordstore for years, but maybe I took that job too serious. I was a young kid amongst a couple of very cool old farts (but they let me run it and book bands) and working there made me proud and kept me busy as fuck.

I take record stores very, VERY serious. Yep. And I aint gonna change that.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 11:19 am

You guys are all missing the point!! Spiritualized played a soul-reviving set at this thing!!!

what happend to the music, man?! awwww shit......
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 11:22 am

g-spot tornado?
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 11:43 am

I have never been the "cool dude" type...a discussion about Pitchfork I guess would naturally imply the level of music "business" being discussed...so anyway...good luck...it's great that you are passionate. I am too, but I don't want to defend myself anymore...
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 11:56 am

all these other arguments seem to have gotten in the way. From reading this all the only solution to every problem seems to be that until we sire a generation of crustymetalheadmidwesternrecordstoreclerks we will never advance as a society.

also, Spiritualized is now touring with...the Dirtbombs.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 12:05 pm

the only solution to every problem seems to be that until we sire a generation of crustymetalheadmidwesternrecordstoreclerks

It's worth a shot.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 12:10 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

also, Spiritualized is now touring with...the Dirtbombs.

DBs (not to be confused with The DBs) sing on the new record! just some "yeah, yeah, yeah's"! but cool!
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 12:30 pm

Our hipsters are far more annoying than your hipsters! They take shallowness to a new level!
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 12:56 pm

Chipotle is owned by McDonalds.

Way fuckin' derailed at this point, but McDonalds actually sold off their stake in Chipotle a couple years ago.

In the past, McDonald's Corporation owned a majority interest in Chipotle. McDonald's has since sold their entire stake in Chipotle; full divestment was completed in October 2006.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 1:57 pm

You're an idiot.

you fucking idiot.

jesus.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 3:16 pm

No need for name calling, guys. Jenna's just defending Spoon guy and Chipotle in case they ever need to call on her for PR services and/or rape counseling.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 3:29 pm

no, i failed miserably at music pr. and that said, maybe i would be a good pr person for chipotle.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 4:01 pm

RAPE!!!
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Everybody just come on over to Goner right now. I got a line on some weed and we can chill and listen to Anthem for the Sun. Who's down?
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks for the shot out Joe, yeah, come on down. I'm going to be giving a lecture alternative dispute resolution. 7-9, free cookies and juice.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 5:43 pm

People don't sing like they used to sing
WHAT'S THE MATTER NOW?
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 6:22 pm

can't we all just share a laugh over the dude hiding his ersection?
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 6:36 pm

haha yeah that was pretty funny.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 6:53 pm

I have to listen to that crap all day at the store (unless I hijack the turntable). It is utterly depressing and makes my day seem 10 times longer. Whether it's new wierdo folk, indie-art preciousness or (I'm afraid I have to say it, even though I live in the epi-center) the new "shitgaze" knock offs that are springing up by the dozens. Not too crazy about the umpteenth re-emergence of "garage soul" either.

What ever happened to hate? Aren't any of these people frustrated, or has life become that easy? Here we are heading into the abyss, and people want to re-enact some lame approximation of the 60's counterculture. I keep wondering when people are going to realize we (as a world) are fucked, and respond to it with their music. There is no violence in music anymore. I don't mean this in an obvious way. I mean it more in the "violence" of unacceptable ideas. The stretching of the boundaries of what is acceptable. Pitchfork is the epitomy of complacency. Why would you expect to be entertained by that, if you were looking for something actually real and interesting? And yet it presents itself as the cutting edge. We have the Wexner Center here in Columbus that does the same thing. Presents these same lame hyped bands as "art". The guy who runs it wouldn't even check out Tommy Jay's record until he read about it on Other Music's website and decided it had to be cool if people in NYC were hyping it.

I don't even know why I writing this.

that's easy for you to say cuz you're in the BEST BAND IN THE FUCKING WORLD!
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 7:16 pm

that gave me a chuckle.

people shouldn't use the
word chuckle...it makes me sick.
i'd imagine pedophiles use
it alot.
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 7:04 pm

chuckle

what about Chuckles, the candy?
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 7:21 pm

Chuckles, the candy?

Isn't that a gum, you idiot.
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 10:57 pm

Chuckles, the candy?

Isn't that a gum, you idiot.

Chuckles is gross jelly candy.

Maybe you're thinking about Chiclets, which is a gum.

Idiot.
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 11:11 pm

You're an idiot.

you fucking idiot.

jesus.

You have to look like Stephen Hawking
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 12:16 pm

Warning! Do not take the blue acid disguised as Chiclets! It will make you go bald, crave corporate burritos, and fuck up your motor neurons like Stephen Hawking.

Oh my God... I see it's too late....
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 3:22 pm

What about Chuckles, the Clown?

from The Groove Tube or Mary Tyler Moore??
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 10:44 am

ok ok. here's one from the Hitler of the Left -Adbusters playing DUMB
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 12:36 pm | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

Back to the music for a second... is it just me or does most of the music represented by this fest (except for Jay and King Khan of course) sound like that Subway "5 Dollar Foot Long" commercial?
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 12:40 pm

And i generally agree w/that Adbusters article. I better start goosestepping in my socks n' Birkenstocks stat!
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 12:55 pm

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 1:05 pm | Edited by: paristheatre

I don't know if I agree or disagree w. the adbuster article. I'm torn 'casue like most journalism I'm guessing 50% it true, 25% speculation, and 25% trying desperately to act like a pair of fresh eyes to a situation that you can't help but assume you already know it's outcome. I can say that i stopped actively reading adbusters back when I started to realize that mostly they end up sounding dumber than the people they are mocking/criticizing. Sounds like a couple or 3 politicians i know. example: I take a look at one of the girls wearing a bright pink keffiyah and carrying a Polaroid camera and think, “If only we carried rocks instead of cameras, we’d look like revolutionaries.” But instead we ignore the weapons that lie at our feet �" oblivious to our own impending demise.
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 1:19 pm

I don't know if I agree or disagree w. the adbuster article. I'm torn 'casue like most journalism I'm guessing 50% it true, 25% speculation, and 25% trying desperately act like a pair of fresh eyes to a situation that you can't help but assume you already know it's outcome. I can say that i stopped actively reading adbusters back when I started to realize that mostly they end up sounding dumber than the people they are mocking/criticizing. Sounds like a couple or 3 politicians i know. example: I take a look at one of the girls wearing a bright pink keffiyah and carrying a Polaroid camera and think, “If only we carried rocks instead of cameras, we’d look like revolutionaries.” But instead we ignore the weapons that lie at our feet " oblivious to our own impending demise.
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 2:31 pm | Edited by: frankenspline

Adbusters has always been bullshit for wannabe-marxist freshman art students. Four years later they're gleefully inserting that cutting-edge stret cred into the latest crop of Nike ads.

I've never seen anyone but pretentious hipsters reading Adbusters. Fuck, I bet they carry it at Urban Outfitters, right next to Vice and Missbehave.

I can see how the author wants to attack the supposedly "underground" fashion / music / party culture marketed to moneyed 20-somethings, but really-- these are your readers, Adbusters. You're not fooling anyone. It's all the same shit.

Reading adbusters is some sort of atonement. White guilt for blowing your allowance on coke and boutique sneakers? Pretending to care deeply about consumerism while whoring it up like everyone else....sounds like exactly the kind of hypocrisy America thrives on (ooh! amazing insight!!). Good job, citizens!
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 2:34 pm

sound like that Subway "5 Dollar Foot Long" commercial?

if only that were true

STILL THEE 2008 SUMMER JAM, PEOPLE
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 9:27 pm

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 9:42 pm

GAWD DAMMIT!!!!!

And for the record frankenspline,i have seen Adbusters at the mag rack at the checkout aisle of New Seasons (while looking away from the checkout gurl so she wouldn't notice my checking out her rad rack).
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 9:45 pm | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

Sub Genre: Garage/Surf
"Surf"... BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Seller: mr.lastname
Hmmmm....
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 3:17 pm

i don't shop.
i listen to metal.

http://www.heavymetalshop.com/
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 1:13 am

rackbusters!
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 7:37 am

is this the band that sings something like:

"sucked penis in Texas, sex wrecked her in Memphis"

over and over?

not very impressive...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®