Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Bat Man - Dark Knight
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 11:49 pm

Pretty cool,
but waaay too long. It's one of those movies that had a perfect chance to end the flick - then it goes on for another 45 minutes.
Plus Christian Bale's (husky) voice 'as Bat Man' is pretty hoaky, actually its distracting.
The Joker was cool though.
Some dude in the parking lot said 'Keith Ledger was awesome!!!!'
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 1:12 am

Best Joker ever!
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 3:19 am

I like Maggie Gylenhall!!! hot!
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 1:54 pm

I missed the first one...the first of the new ones...but I kinda want to see this because a friend of mine worked on it.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 2:18 pm

I am still stuck on the original Batman, the 1966 version.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 2:19 pm

It was totally awesome. But, like every other movie these days, waaaaaaay too long. Still awesome, though.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 5:33 pm

I missed the first one

Best superhero movie ever!
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 2:04 am

one of the best from 66 -

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 11:22 am

good villain. great explosions / stunts.

too long. too much "you're just like me, batman" crap. if i got it, so did your target audience 15 year old boys, who are much smarter than we are.

evil wins in entertainment factor again. man, the good guys are always so boring.

i thought r downey jr was at least a charismatic good guy in Iron Man.
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 1:50 pm

original Batman, the 1966 version

Not quite.
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 1:53 pm

sucked. overblown piece of shit.
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 3:43 pm

i just got back from a comic convention and overheard to nerds talking about how superb it was. go figure.

i got a man from u.n.c.l.e. comic.
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 5:15 pm

AP Photo
More Photos...

'Dark Knight' sets weekend record with $155.34M
Sunday July 20 1:47 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) Batman has sent Spidey packing as king of Hollywood's box-office superheroes.

"The Dark Knight" took in a record $155.34 million in its first weekend, topping the previous best of $151.1 million for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007 and pacing Hollywood to its biggest weekend ever, according to studio estimates Sunday.

"We knew it would be big, but we never expected to dominate the marketplace like we did," said Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner Bros., which released "The Dark Knight." The movie should shoot past the $200 million mark by the end of the week, he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hollywood set an overall revenue record of $253 million for a three-day weekend, beating the $218.4 million haul over the weekend of July 7, 2006, according to box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

"This weekend is such a juggernaut," said Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal, whose musical "Mamma Mia!" debuted at No. 2 with $27.6 million.

Factoring in higher admission prices, "Spider-Man 3" may have sold slightly more tickets than "The Dark Knight."

At 2007's average price of $6.88, "Spider-Man 3" sold 21.96 million tickets over opening weekend. Media By Numbers estimates today's average movie prices at $7.08, which means "The Dark Knight" would have sold 21.94 million tickets.

Revenue totals for "The Dark Knight" could change when final numbers are released Monday.

The movie's release was preceded by months of buzz and speculation over the performance of the late Heath Ledger as the Joker, Batman's nemesis. Ledger, who died in January from an accidental prescription-drug overdose, played the Joker as a demonic presence, his performance prompting predictions that the role might earn him a posthumous Academy Award nomination.

"The average opening gross of the last five `Batman' movies is $47 million. This tripled that, and for a reason," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers. "A big part of that was the Heath Ledger mystique and a phenomenal performance that absolutely deserves the excitement surrounding it."

"The Dark Knight" reunites director Christopher Nolan with his "Batman Begins" star Christian Bale, whose vigilante crime-fighter is taunted and tested by Ledger's Joker as the villain unleashes violence and chaos on the city of Gotham.

Overseas, "The Dark Knight" added $40 million in 20 countries where it began opening Wednesday, including Australia, Mexico and Brazil. The film opens in Great Britain this weekend and rolls out to most of the rest of the world over the next few weeks.

"The Dark Knight," which cost $185 million to make, also broke the "Spider-Man 3" record for best debut in IMAX large-screen theaters with $6.2 million. "Spider-Man 3" opened with $4.7 million in IMAX cinemas.

"Every single show is sold out," said Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president. "We're adding shows as much as we can, but we're at 100 percent capacity."

On opening day Friday, "The Dark Knight" also took in more money than previously counted, Fellman said. The film pulled in a record $67.85 million, up nearly $1.5 million from the studio's estimates a day earlier.

The previous opening-day record also had been held by "Spider-Man 3" with $59.8 million.

Women accounted for most of the audience for "Mamma Mia!", which Universal opened as counter-programming to the male-dominated audience for "The Dark Knight."

"With the crowded summer, we knew we would have to find the right weekend, and this seemed like the perfect one considering three-quarters of our audience was female," Rocco said.

Based on the stage musical set to the tunes of ABBA, "Mamma Mia!" features Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Julie Walters and Christine Baranski.

The weekend's other new wide release, 20th Century Fox's animated family flick "Space Chimps," opened at No. 7 with $7.4 million.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 5:25 pm

"Space Chimps,"

tell me more!
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 6:18 pm

jack as the joker ! does not get any better quotes to last you a life time
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 6:39 pm

I thought it was okay.

man, the good guys are always so boring.

too long.

The "Empire Strikes Back" downer-type ending was cool, but with no Ledger, they're probably screwed, huh?
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 3:53 am

one of the best from 66
i ain't goin' to the Bendbow no mor'
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 9:08 am

ADVERTISEMENT
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 11:35 am

It seemed like there were two other places where the movie could have ended instead of dribbling on. I thought Ledger was good, but the clown make-up and scars probably made the role easier, right? Hard to see facial expressions, etc. He reminded me of Phillip Seymour Hoffman for some reason. The morality stuff was definitely ham-fisted (they probably wanted to avoid accusations of trying to create "art"), but all-in-all a pretty great superhero movie.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 12:44 pm

i hated the emphysema voice.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Yeah, they should overdub that or never have batman say anything.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 5:33 pm

or make jokes about how he sounds like darth vader.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 9:28 pm

they should overdub that or never have batman say anything
They should have Batman talk in inaudible high pitched tones like a real bat.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 10:22 pm

ha! and fly all crazy-kine all over the place.

that'd be bat-ass.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 11:34 pm

that'd be bat-ass.

Simply punderful!
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:01 am

you guys are pun-believeable!
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:11 am

i hated the emphysema voice

Bale did the same voice in his first batman movie. (during batman parts? his voice is distinctive from "bruce wayne's")i think his character does is so maybe it's part of his disguise?? i don't know. . . . .
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:29 am

so maybe it's part of his disguise??
yeah, but it sounds retarded.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:53 am

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:55 am

emphysema voice

i heard an interview on NPR yesterday and he sounded retarded. like kneau reeves retarded.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:02 pm

Christian Bale rules!
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Maggie Gylenhall....looks like a Dollar Tree checkout girl in a fancy dress. Movie was ok, but not worth nine bucks. Kind of a bummer cinema experience, but still better than most of what's out there. I give it an 'eh'.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 3:20 am

Who watches the Watchmen('s trailer)?

liked that Jakie Earl Haley is Rorschach. Liked that they seemed to be keeping close to source material. but jeeze, that preview uggh. that 300 director guy- puke. i've wanted Terry Gilliam for that since i was 15- oh well.

liked the Dark Knight quite a bit.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 8:40 am

http://omg.yahoo.com

OMG!
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 9:13 am

THIS MOVIE RULES.
THIS MOVIE RULES.
THIS MOVIE RULES.
none too long.
THIS MOVIE RULES.
NICHOLSON IS DEAD. VIVA LA HEATH!!
THIS MOVIE RULES.
maybe the 30 minutes of shitty previews they put infront of the film makes it seem longer.
THIS MOVIE RULES.
THIS MOVIE RULES.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 10:16 am

I thought it was pretty good and my son, who is 11, was really creeped out by the Joker.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 12:51 pm

Posted: Jul 23, 2008, 9:13 am Quote THIS MOVIE RULES.
THIS MOVIE RULES.
THIS MOVIE RULES.

Yep.

The only thing that bothered me (only on my second viewing) was the fact that anyone believed Harvey Dent was Batman. He had a huge fucking butt chin, whereas Bruce Wayne? Not so much. Watchmen trailer ruled too.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Watchmen trailer ruled too.

yeah it did.

I LOVED this movie! thought i think it could have ended when the Joker was hanging upside down, the rest of the movie was just as awesome as everything before it and i cannot WAIT to see the next one. Ledger totally deserves and academy award and not just because he's dead. but it's a goddamned shame he is. talk about goin out with a bang!
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Yeah that movie was amazing. Watchmen trailer was rad too. Looks like Zack Snydder may have actually pulled it off. It was soooooooo epic though. Everything in super-slow-motion. "From the visionary director of 300"
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 2:05 pm

Amazing? Wow, I thought it totally sucked. My initial excitement over the great opening scene and Heath tearing it up disappeared into this hollow nothing of a movie. So bummed. Saw it in Imax, and everything looked fantastic but story-wise it was just a long, disappointing mess. Any scene without the Joker was pointless. Gah.....

Although, Joker+nurse outfit=solid movie gold.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 3:05 pm

yep. amazing.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 3:52 pm

i thought it was really good. yeah, a bit long, though. it had that whole lord of the rings type thing where it seems like there are about 5 endings too many.

the batman voice is fucking retarded. he winds up sounding like the winner in a chain-smoking contest between alec baldwin and clint eastwood.

i loved the scene with the pencil disappearing trick, though! (for those that haven't seen it, feel free to use your imagination...)
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 6:04 pm

Although, Joker+nurse outfit=solid movie gold.
yeah that was great. That jittery-stilted zombie walk followed by him screwing with the malfunctioning detonator- classic
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Posi:
Pencil trick
Clown robbery
Nurse Joker
Hong Kong sequence
Bat bike

Negs:
Bat voice
The whole Dent story line
Gyllenhall's crazy mug
The stupid boat dilemma
The whole "you get the hero you deserve" thing. Laaaaaame.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 7:50 pm

It was OK. The Joker stuff coulda been creepier, but I thought Ledger was alright.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 2:38 am

From MovieTimes.com, by "Kim," the hands down best review Ive read so far:

I have not seen this movie yet but plan to shortly. From what i have heard it is super f***ing bad ass and heath is all up in yo face like kerplow bitch, jokes on you batbitch.

And, if Im going to pay $9 to see a movie, it oughta be FOUR hours long. Or a double feature or some shit. 155 million the first weekend? NO SHIT SHERLOCK! The movies cost $10 plus now across the states!
And Batmans face is fat in that suit, his unnecessarily intimidating voice was impossible to take seriously and M Gyllenhal is a horrible actress.
But, like Kim heard, its super f***ing bad ass. Jokes on you batbitch!
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 2:40 am

Oh yes, and I yelled "Nerds!" after the Watchmen trailer at the Studio on the Square and me and my girl and Greg F and Jump Back Jake laffed but everyone else cried.
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 10:54 pm

evil wins in entertainment factor again. man, the good guys are always so boring.

Rogues gallaries are totally what it\'s all about.

The movies cost $10 plus now across the states!

Fiancee & I saw it today as a matinee for $5.

Posi:
Pencil trick
Clown robbery
Nurse Joker
Hong Kong sequence
Bat bike

Negs:
Bat voice
Gyllenhall\'s crazy mug
The stupid boat dilemma
The whole \"you get the hero you deserve\" thing. Laaaaaame.

The pencil trick was awesome, but I liked Two Face. Even though it was ridiculous that he didn\'t cap the Joker when he was in the hospital bed, I gotta totally echo the rest of it & add the following:

Posi:
Flipping the semi
\"I\'m supposed to kill the bus driver!\"
Lots & lots

Negs:
\"I know who Batman is\" guy
Ending of Harvey Dent benefit party Bruce Wayne throws.
\"I can\'t kill you! I need you!\"
Not seeing The Joker or his fate after the \"I can\'t kill you\" scene.
Never seeing what happens to The Joker after that scene
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 12:47 pm

just saw it ... sorry not that good hulk is better iron man was better and the first batman blows this movie the fuck away jack is the man !! now excuse me i'm going back to watch limp wrist videos and paul mooney stand up on you tube !!
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 1:25 pm

It was a tome to the Fascist super state all while giving warning flags about the World Order. Definitely noticed psychotronic techniques used to immerse you in the intended level of discomfort and get you on Batman's side.

Batman's lack of charisma made him a better automaton. Joker's "chaos" justification sounded like drivel out of a disaffected teens notebook with circle A's written all over it, and did not stand up to the dialog in the rest of the film.
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Maggie Gylenhall....looks like a Dollar Tree checkout girl in a fancy dress

Yeah, i don't get how people think she's hot. If you like boney, homely chicks with no titties than good for you.

But for my money,this is who should have had that part. Hands down.
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Fiancee & I saw it today as a matinee for $5

i figured you were there last week, mullet. i arrived after the lights were out so i couldn't look around. packed theater at 10:40 am, though, so even if you were there i wouldn't have noticed.

yesterday, i saw hellboy 2 at the 11:10 showing.
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 6:04 pm

yesterday, i saw hellboy 2 at the 11:10 showing.

Sweet! How was that? It's fun picking on Lyndsey a little 'cause she would probably never see a super hero movie & between Iron Man, The Hulk, & the DK, she's seen 3 in a row. I think she read something about Hellboy in an Entertainment Weekly & her interest has piqued on it. I keep offering my Dark Horse Presents books so she can read up on his early appearances, but she continues to decline.

i figured you were there last week, mullet.

I'm sorry. We had too much shit going on that day including a birthday party for the son of one of her best friends. Lyndsey had the job of running the snow cone machine.
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 9:37 pm

Ledger was great. The dude who played Batman was horrific. Talk about fucking boring. The parts where the Joker wasn't in the movie were so goddman boring. Oh well, only proves that Batman is one of the stupidest "super" heroes of all time. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN WATCHING SOME RICH ASSHOLE BUY HIS WAY TO THE TOP. Same reason why Iron Man can fuck off as well.

X-Men still stands as the best of the Superhero movies. Shit is a parable for the Civil Rights movement. Professor X= Martin Luther King Jr. and Magneto = Malcolm X.
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 5:10 pm

Why did you see Batman if you don't like Batman? Jesus, you're dumb.
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 8:30 pm

x-men= gay, not black
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 12:01 am

X-Men still stands as the best of the Superhero movies
what's yer second favorite, the Fantastic Four?
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 8:22 am

Looks like I have a lot of addressing to do here:

paulyjerkface: I'm dumb, your gay.

Alecholland: Civil rights parable is strongest. Then, you can just stick anything in place of that if you want. Hell, it could be a parable for the American Revolution if you want.

Rich Balls: I never saw the Fantastic Four. But its not like there are a lot of great superhero movies anyways. Iron Mana sucks, Batman (pretty much) sucks, Spiderman is such a singular story line its getting boring, V was cheesy as hell. But the first Hellboy was pretty dope. Gotta love those one liners! X-Men has at least enough characters and relevant issues to keep it interesting folks.
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 11:41 am

I didn't get a chance to see the movie opening night, so I went last Tuesday. It was an afternoon screening, but I figured alot of people would be dressed up as characters from the film. My mom dropped me off and I went to buy my ticket, everyone turned around and looked at me. There were a bunch of girls too and they started to laugh. The only relief I had was the fact that I had a mask on and no one knew who I was. I ran into the theatre as fast as I could, but it made me even more noticeable because my cape flapped behind me. I found a seat but it was next to these African American guys. They couldn't control their laughing and said "look at this clown". They pulled my mask off and threw it away. It landed on someone's girlfriend's head. Her boyfriend was a huge guy who stood up and yelled out "who was that?!" The African American guys all pointed at me. I was so scared that I got up and began to ran out the theater. The guy climbed over the seats and grabbed onto my cape. It was tide around my neck so it brought me down rather quickly. He punched me in my stomache and threw his bag of popcorn at me.
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 3:35 pm

Alecholland: Civil rights parable is strongest. Then, you can just stick anything in place of that if you want. Hell, it could be a parable for the American Revolution if you want.

It was a quote from X2. Iceman's mother I think, when they escape the mansion- "Have you ever tried... not being a mutant?". The (gay) director's superhero name is Hamfist.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®