Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Saucers "Cha Wailey Routa"
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 10:11 pm

I posted this link on this board a couple weeks ago: http://mac.easthouston.net/thehound/19890617/mp3s/start42.mp3

I just picked up the repro 45 from Norton for $5. I must have listened to it about 10 times today since it showed up in the mail this morning. I've known the song for quite a few years, but repeated listening to this has made me scratch my head about what kind of genius mind can come up with whatever the fuck they're singing about, and also provide such a swinging arrangement. it's really too good to be true. i think i'll be listening to it about ten more times before i crash. by the way, the sound quality on the repro is top notch.
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 10:33 pm

is dat straight off the rekkid? if so it be cleeeeeean!
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 10:37 pm | Edited by: Joe Diddley

no, it's from an old radio show from The Hound from 1989, and that's why it sounds like shit. are you sure that wasp didn't sting you in the ear hole? the 45 is loud and crystal clear. i'll play it for you on friday!
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 10:42 pm

i guess everything sounds the same on computer speakers!
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 2:48 am

i got hip to that tune way back when it first came out and the platter pushin' papa played it on WAMO.

it also made the grade at dances with the 16 - 18 year olds set.
nothin' beats penny loafers, pedal pushers or bermuda shorts,
the smell cheap perfume mixed with teenage bo

plus the tune goes good with "Scratch" by the Camelots
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 7:07 am

are you tellin' me you're around 60 yrs old?
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 8:52 am

if his name means anything (and why wouldn't it?)--viet vet from tet--then he was 20 or so in 68 and 60 or so in 2008

i place him at 57/58
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 9:14 am

weird old people rule!
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 4:20 pm

Thanks! That's a great song!
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 4:26 pm

if you're not a 45 buyer, norton is workig on a series Mad Mike (60s pittsburgh dj) comps and "cha wailey routa" is on it, along with a ton of other crazy dance tracks thst he made "hits."
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 3:49 am

are you tellin' me you're around 60 yrs old
yeah baby
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 3:52 am

Mad Mike
got a couple of Mad Mike comps
on all those keystone lables.

too bad Miriam's yellow journalism degree is fading
she could get the definate story on another infamous
burgh dj Terry Lee
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:27 am

What you mean? She's still writing up a storm. She's doing the liners to the Mad Mike comps! Also, Terry Lee is totally boss. In fact, red eyed willie and I were in Tucson at PDQ records and he got the terry lle show LP. i still only have it on cassette. He played the swamp rats "it's not easy" on his show! plus the skits rule.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 4:33 am

skits rule
back in the burgh
4 out of 5 think TL is kinda cagie
back in my high school daze
I worked at a pizza joint
and we sometimes listened
to the TL show while making
19 cent pies..you hear the commercial for the
place on that "show" lp...
the owner had been to california and
thought he could make a fortune
mimicing the then current cheap burger craze

after Mike died Itzy made some double cds
themed, in tribute to Mike and his radio show
them burgh types ain't big on reading, so the liner
notes are weak

before Mike faded away he was hosting a show on
semi non commercial AM radio and one one tape
his kid is learning guitar with a Black Sabath riff
as Mike on the MIC ends encouragement to the spread of culture.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:05 am

i love the 19 cent pie commercials.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 10:42 am

i love
Little Tony owned the joint, out on Route 30, 6 miles west of the Irwin PA turnpike interchange.

I worked the evening shift with a hot to trot Italian gigalo.

This dude knew how to roll the young fillies into his big backseat, one summer evening "I Can't Get No.." was on and Romeo sees me i ballin' some young perky tang and he smiles and utters, "man i'd like to rap her long hair around my dick." Needless to say, I blushed.

afew years ago I payed a visit to the no defunct "The Record Warehouse" in McKeysport and they had 15 cd volumes of the "The TL Sound for Young Lovers" on at 3 for $15..Made in Poland, not bad sounding boots, lots of make out sounds TL used to spin. Last I heard, TL was in Ohio.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 10:54 am

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 10:57 am

Last I heard, TL was in Ohio.

http://www.pbrtv.com/dec13103.html

check out question 4
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 10:59 am

another thread had him DJ'ing in florida in the 90's
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 11:02 am

a few months ago i lucked out in getting all 4 volumes of the mad mike lps for like 8 bux a piece! shortly thereafter, volume one went for something like 300 dollars...

info on the original mad mike lps

http://www.janceemusic.com/Mad_Mike/Mad_Mike_Index.htm

and supposedly, there's an extra on a dvd called Great Old Amusement Parks, that has some stuff about mike as well....its in my netflix cue, so i can't really confirm...
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 3:53 am

yeah, the Attic, just east of the city proper, went in after the big flood some years ago. Prices were just as high as before the water damage.
Picked up Monkey Man by Baby Huey for $20.

on the 770 AM radio tip, checked it out a last month and one evening I heard Porky Chedwick spinnin' - he's in his 90s, another presenter of the oldies, a little more mainstream in taste than Mike and his "moldies".
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®