Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / ATTN: Afro-Beat fans!
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 4:44 pm

completely groovin note

so is this

if a little MOR at times during the choruses
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 4:47 pm

the man

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 4:51 pm

the big man

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 4:35 am

didn't James Brown pass away last year?
Posted: Sep 26, 2008 10:34 am

new interview with frank about his digging experiences in africa: http://www.tothedisco.com/articles/articles/frank-from-voodoo-funk/
Posted: Sep 26, 2008 11:36 am

When I was living over there, before the advent of digitisation (which is still not common in Africa), there were a lot of record/DJ "shops" wherein you could browse thru their collection of truly beat-up records and have the owner make you a custom mix tape.

the other interesting thing were all the "pirate dens" which had like 5-10 tape decks hooked up to one source, cranking out pirate dupes of dupes of dupes, which would then be dispatched via guys on bicycles and sold all over town. You could audition the tape and make sure it wasn't too bad.

My first trip to Togo, the biggest hit on the bike guys' bikes was Steve Van Zandt's "Sun City", believe it or not.

There was a Fela tape I heard ONCE that I'm still looking for --- "Greatest Hits" --- all the tunes were 2-3 minutes, very different from his later stuff.

Frank's observations about travelling down there are way more accurate and insightful than almost all the other "travel writers" I've read
Posted: Sep 26, 2008 4:36 pm

There was a Fela tape I heard ONCE that I'm still looking for --- "Greatest Hits" --- all the tunes were 2-3 minutes, very different from his later stuff.

UK release, on EMI, the LP consists of 45 edits of the tunes...found one here in town for $5

Frank is that dude, I just worked out a trade with him and Im gettin some ridiculously great records...shit I know I would have never been able to dig up myself like El Rego "Hessa"...that raw shit.

Frank has hipped me to some amazing records over the last few years...good people
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®