Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Goodbye Tiger Stadium.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 2:13 am

as of now, it is being demolished. So long bad seats, so long broken restrooms,so long 1984.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 3:09 am

as of now, it is being demolished.

Isn't it about time, though. I mean, sure it was a legendary ballpark, but the Motor City Kitties haven't played there since 2000. I will say it looked cool next to the highway & it was a snap to get out of there after a game.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 11:37 am

i loved that old tiger stadium. it looked cool in its decrepitude
i wish that some developer would have taken the bones of it and made something cool out of it. something cool & retro and reminiscent of ye olde days
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 11:39 am

he would but all those tiger players were gay. and detroit's homos prefer Bloomfield Hills these days.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 12:03 pm

I loveed the old stadium, including the flagpole being in the outfield.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 12:09 pm

I wish they could re-name Comerica to something more related to baseball, like Tiger Field??
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 12:28 pm

bummer.

there goes my childhood.
Freehan, Kaline, Cash, Northrup, Stanley, Horton, Wert ...
AND DENNY McLAIN
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 12:35 pm

I never went there. Not once. And I was born in 1984 to boot.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 2:36 pm

I wish they could re-name Comerica to something more related to baseball, like Tiger Field??

i think that there will nevermore be a sports playing field anywhere named after the team.... "naming rights" kinda knocked that on its head 15 years ago... i guess the teams benefit from the $$$ from naming rights....

i can't keep up with the name changes.... pac bell park in SFO ain't pac bell park no mo. is the NJ arena at Meadowlands still named after continental airlines?
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 3:54 pm

i was in front of front row for the first show of the KISS reunion in 96 at Tiger. 40,000 strong.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 5:41 pm

It's not over 'till it's over:

While selective dismantling has begun on the building's northeast corner, the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy (OTSC) is still working to save "The Corner" and, perhaps most importantly, the field.

http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=13057
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 6:43 pm

i think that there will nevermore be a sports playing field anywhere named after the team.... "naming rights" kinda knocked that on its head 15 years ago... i guess the teams benefit from the $$$ from naming rights....
The new Yankee Stadium, which opens in 2009, is actually going to be called New Yankee Stadium. I don't understand how they escaped the whole naming rights thing when the new Mets ballpark (also opening in 2009) is going to be Citi Field.

The only cool corporate stadium name ever was when Candlestick Park (where the 49ers play) was briefly called Monster Park, named after Monster Cable.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 8:20 pm

Taco Bell Stadium!!!!
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 8:34 pm

why not little cesar park?
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 1:51 am

Oh man...my dad used to be the Tigers beat writer for the Flint Journal and associated papers...saw tons of games there..even the 84 world series..game 4!...'cept the fucking Padres won one so it took another to clench...best Polish sausages ever!!
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 7:09 am

we used to drive up on friday afternoons for tribe weekend series; my fam is from detroit so maybe i am biased but tiger fans to me were always the most "accepting" of other side's fans. good times, good food. you caqn keep the downtown though.

henry ford, the most repulsive genius this side of edison or Neitschke , once said, "We need to escape thinking. Reading can become a dope habit...Book sickness is a modern ailment."

I believe those words are Detroit's BD of Ed's Motto.

Fuck Kirk Gibson.
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 7:12 am

i have seen footage of mclain's act but it ain't on youtube.

too bad.
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 7:36 am

The new Yankee Stadium, which opens in 2009, is actually going to be called New Yankee Stadium. I don't understand how they escaped the whole naming rights thing when the new Mets ballpark (also opening in 2009) is going to be Citi Field.

Because it's the Yankees. When you're the most successful and valuable American sports entity, you don't have to busy yourself with such corporate fluff.
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 10:18 am

i went to one game at tigers stadium the final year it was open. i sat sort of behind home plate, to one side, in the 2nd deck & was amazed at the number of foul balls that whizzed back & hit spectators.

in those seats you had to pay attention to every pitch or risk getting nailed.

as far as tigers fans go, at jacobs field i had to sit right in front of a couple thoroughly wasted young wimmen/tigers fans who screamed shit with every single pitch.

the indians were losing so that made it worse. when other people started yelling at them to shut the fuck up they started talking trash & didn't stop until i asked them if they could remember the last time michigan beat osu - because i couldn't. that shut them up & i was applauded.
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 11:31 am

the indians were losing

NO! Really?

Comerica Park sucks -- there's too much foul ground and a buncha amusement park rides all over the place. They couldn't have built a more opposite place to Tiger Stadium.

My favorite Tiger Stadium mayhem story was Free Mini-Bat Day. Blood pooled in the bleachers, it was sick
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 2:31 pm

because of the steinbrenner fortune which can take other people's money AND keep his brand name AND ego bigger than the grand canyon and 7 wonders of the world put together and i'm sure the steinbrenner fils are just as idiosyncratic as ol george
Posted: Jul 12, 2008 2:18 am

that Detroit Tiger LP is worth some $$ around these parts.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®