Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / How long did it take you guys to get used to ...
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 5:39 am

the ban on smoking in bars and clubs?
In the Netherlands it's banned too since the first of July.
I guess you'll get used to it eventually but right now I fucking hate it.
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 5:45 am

By the way, it's a tobacco ban so you can still smoke marijuana in the coffeeshops as long as you smoke it pure.
"It's the world upside down: In other countries they look for the marijuana in the cigarette. Here they look for the cigarette in the marijuana," said Jason den Enting, manager of coffee shop Dampkring.
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 5:47 am

By the way, it's a tobacco ban so you can still smoke marijuana in the coffeeshops as long as you smoke it pure.

You're kidding, right?
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 5:54 am

No, really. A good example of Dutch politics, huh?!
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 6:06 am

Un-fuckin-believable!
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 6:07 am

My town banned smoking in bars a year and a half ago, but I work in one of the handful of places that got an exemption. I guess I'm a little spoiled, because almost all my jobs have been at places I could drink and smoke without getting fired.
Which is way cooler than health care or 401/Ks.
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 11:22 am

Never happened here, so I dunno. Just know it's annoying in other cities around the country.
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 11:25 am

It's nice sometimes to take a break from being in a noisy shitty bar and walk outside to fuck up the fresh air. Other than that I'm sure it'll be hung up in court for a while.

Shitty thing is y'alls bars aren't made for easy entrance and exit. That was a mistake.
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 1:32 pm

It's not too bad. just smoke between sets. bars without back patios really suck after the ban. Many built a fenced in area for the smokin/drinkin, put up plastic tents and shit.
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 2:19 pm

sucks in the winter but overall i don't mind.
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 4:28 pm | Edited by: bradx

i think its ridiculous. they sell this under the banner of protecting the rights and health of employees, while at the same time the children are being sent to school in diesel burning buses which are dangerously bad for their health, and they arent outlawing laser printers, which for office workers exposed to them on a regular basis are just as cancer causing as smoking a pack a day. you know what else smokes? your car. every time you drive a mile its smoking a thousand cigarettes worth of carcinogens into our collective air. anyone who drives has no right to complain about a little smoke.

Their study appeared in the online issue of the American Chemical Society's Environmental Science & Technology (ES&T), a semi-monthly journal.

...'high particle emitters' because they released such elevated quantities of particles, which the researchers believe to be toner, the ultrafine powder used in laser printers instead of ink to form text and images. One of the printers released particles into an experimental chamber at a rate comparable to the particle emissions from cigarette smoking, the report stated.

A study by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) found that levels of diesel exhaust on four Los Angeles school buses were eight and a half times higher than average levels found in California's smoggy air. This was four times higher than the fumes from inside a car driven directly in front of the buses. NRDC researchers measured diesel exhaust levels during five hours of tests conducted on actual bus routes in the city.

Earlier studies done at UCLA have shown that diesel soot is also linked to allergic and asthmatic reactions.

"Diesel particles don't just cause someone who is allergic to have worse symptoms, they cause people who are not normally allergic to some agents to become allergic," David Diaz-Sanchez, UCLA immunologist, told The Los Angeles Times.

Studies of those constantly exposed to diesel exhaust found their risk of lung cancer increased by up to 50 percent, said Michael Thun, chief epidemiologist for the American Cancer Society, on the organization’s Web site.

On average, schoolchildren who ride the bus spend an average of 90 minutes each weekday in transit, according to the EPA study. Those children are more susceptible to air pollution than healthy adults because their respiratory systems are still developing and they have a faster breathing rate.

Gasoline contains many toxic chemicals such as benzene, xylene, toluene and many other additives. These chemicals are then exposed to high heat and pressure in the engine combustion process forming a number of new very toxic chemicals including some known as "furans" and "polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons," also known as PAH’s. PAH’s contain a toxic chemical called nitrofluoranthene and in a 1987 article in Discover magazine, one EPA chemist, who wished to remain anonymous stated, nitrofluoranthene is "horrendously carcinogenic." In fact, a 1983 symposium in Sweden attended by 40 scientists from around the world agreed that about 10% of all lung cancers were caused by fossil fuel combustion such as that found in vehicle exhaust. Vehicle exhaust also contains a chemical called benzo(a)pyrene which the body converts to benzo(a)pyrene epoxide which is known to be very powerful in mutating cells and causing cancer.
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 4:28 am

I agree with Brad here.
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 12:31 pm

I don't smoke, but it is annoying whenever my friends take off outside to have a smoke. That said, I do like coming home from the bar and not having my clothes wreak of cigarette smoke.

It seems like they took to it in Montreal, which means they it can fly pretty much anywhere - except Turkey, where they smoke like chimneys.
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 2:38 pm

still need help with a show in amsterdam!!! anyone wanna help out Wizzard Sleeve. august 7, 8, or 9
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 4:12 pm

I´m trying but it´s not as easy as I thought it would be. Especially without gear.
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 6:21 pm

yeah..i know..we wont break nobodies shit
thanks main
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 10:01 pm

i'm not a big fan of cigarettes in a bar. i sometimes even leave cuz it gets too smoky for me. it's not that i give that much of a fuck about my health cuz i'm obviously killin the shit outta my liver when i go out and drink, but the smoke just gets to me. i'm pretty allergic to it. it's one thing bein around one person with a cigarette, but goddamn when you have some place that has poor ventilation and 300 people lighting up at the same time, i'm hackin up a lung. it gets so bad sometimes that my eyes burn.

there are worse things for you, i'm sure. but when you have a bad reaction to shit like i do, you'd probably hate cigs too.
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 10:13 pm

I drove a cab around the time that my former midwestern hometown adopted a smoking ban and practically every customer WOULD NOT SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT. Peoples' feelings were hurt. I witnessed a couple of arguments that almost turned into brawls over the topic.

I went back to visit a few weeks ago and now every bar has added an awesome new patio. I don't smoke, but guess where I spent all my time? Oh yeah, hanging outside with the smokers in the sweet new outdoor areas!

Also, smoke-free bars make it so very easy to be a man who owns exactly one presentable pair of pants.
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 10:43 pm

i can say, as a smoker, that hang overs are so much easier without all the second hand as well as first hand smoking. i kinda like it.
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 7:30 am

You're all huge pussies.
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 12:15 pm

Not as long as I thought it would. It's actually kind of nice to go outside and stand around smoking -- of course, it never gets that cold here tho. And I don't miss the reek factor.

The places with "smoking patios" really did well for awhile.

The worst place for smoky bars I've been to, BTW, has got to be Galway, Ireland, where I understand it's banned now too. We actually had to leave a place, it was intolerable, even lighting one up made no difference.
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 2:32 pm

i like the fact that i only smell like shit because i crap in my pants, not because of all the smoke blown all over me.
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 5:41 pm

I like smoked everything.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®