Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Girl Trouble invites self to Sub Pop anniversary
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 11:43 pm

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GIRL TROUBLE PLAYS MARYMOOR PARK ANYWAY
http://www.myspace.com/girltrouble

As you may know, the first Girl Trouble album, “Hit It or Quit It”, was released on K/SubPop in 1988. In fact, this was the first full-length record SubPop ever released. The record matrix number was K/SP-20.

This month SubPop is hosting a huge, two-day concert of SubPop bands in Marymoor Park on July 12/13 to celebrate their 20 year anniversary. It’s billed as the SP-20 event, one letter off from the old Hit It or Quit It matrix number. Coincidence? You be the judge. Of course, Girl Trouble awaited the invitation to join their old friends and label-mates on stage for this most festive occasion.

Unfortunately. the band now suspects that a mistake has been made. They have yet to be contacted by their old label! With only weeks to spare it was obvious there was some sort of unintentional oversight by SubPop.

Girl Trouble has never been a band to let a small detail like not being invited deter them from joining in on any celebration. That’s why they have decided to bring some instruments and play the show anyway, somewhere in Marymoor Park, as close to the venue as they can legally get. This will be the first all-acoustic Girl Trouble show, playing selections from their SubPop album, Hit It or Quit It, in order.

Feel free to look for Girl Trouble somewhere in the park (possibly by some picnic tables or a tree) starting at noon, where they promise to entertain anybody who happens by. Unlike the $30 ticket price for the bands inside the Marymoor Park venue - there will be no charge for this one-day-only performance. Please join us on Saturday, July 12 for this special event. Don’t forget your picnic lunch, blanket and sun screen. Complementary bag of chips to the first 40 K/SP-20 attendees.

Hope to see you there!
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 12:14 am

sweet, possibly the best record they ever put out
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 12:45 am | Edited by: skank police

Good god that's awesome! All Scooch Pooch bands should crash too!!
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 3:31 am

i wonder is metro has a bus running near Marymore? I just gave up on the east side years ago..
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 7:14 am

I loved that record---I used to have that fanzine they put out too, bonus points for recalling the name cos I sure don't.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 7:54 am

WIG OUT!

come on, k!
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 10:08 am

Hey man, I'm old! But wait, you are older than me, so no excuses!

Java Jive!
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 10:17 am

so why weren't they invited?
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 10:41 am

Hey man, I'm old! But wait, you are older than me, so no excuses!

Java Jive!

One of my favorite venues ever, both to play or attend.

GT is too cool- in the real- sense for those SP shenanigans.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 10:47 am | Edited by: eric o

girl trouble was great- total self-contained scene unto themselves, just out for fun.

driving my friend greg owen across the usa, what, 1990?- 1991? hey we'll drop in and catch a show and see his buddy dan peters from mudhoney... walk into monomen opening up for girl trouble at the off ramp (? dunno) with connor brothers bouncing people off their bellies, mark arm rallying troops, and various other seattle scenesters totally "wilding." good times.

can't imagine that sub pop tried to snub 'em, but love the spirit of crashing the party!

Feel free to look for Girl Trouble somewhere in the park (possibly by some picnic tables or a tree)

and complimentary bag of chips! THEY STILL GOT IT!
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 11:11 am

Now if all the bands who appeared on Bruce's Sub Pop zine tape comps show it would be a real party.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 3:43 pm

Sub Pop Singles series starts up again! Tyvek, Black Lips, Om... it's like 1993 all over again! Sittin' at Shangri-la, selling Henry Rollins Sub Pop singles for 1.93!
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 4:10 pm

Still have my Unrest and Unsane sub pop singles...purchased from YOU!!!
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 4:12 pm

can't imagine that sub pop tried to snub 'em, but love the spirit of crashing the party!
It's a bit like the Pink Fairies playing outside a Hawkwind show.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 4:35 pm

greg owen

i've known greg for about two decades, better friends with his brother mark. shit, small fucking world.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 4:47 pm

that's what ree ree said, too!
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 4:54 pm

that's what ree ree said, too!

i hear he puts his pants on two legs at a time.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 6:06 pm

i hear he puts his pants on two legs at a time.
He's got four legs?????
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 8:55 pm

hey seamus and eric F:

mark is long time buddy; avid trader, lover of french things (Hardy and movies) , superb brazilian connoisseur, and great guy

and if Eric F only knew how hard it is now for kids to get into pomona!!!
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 9:14 pm

according to mark re pomona:

Another punk label coincidence, I think the main guy from Bad Religion/Epitaph was going there at the same time. My bro's tightest bud was a guy named John from Boston, a photog. I remember seeing some Johnny Thunders shots he'd done when I visited in spring of '86.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 9:37 pm

hey seamus and eric F:

mark is long time buddy; avid trader, lover of french things (Hardy and movies) , superb brazilian connoisseur, and great guy

and if Eric F only knew how hard it is now for kids to get into pomona!!!

no shit. so who the fuck are you? we have probably met and hoisted a few.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 9:38 pm

i am no one. i am using an alias.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 10:17 pm

i am no one. i am using an alias.

over-educated poofter is my guess.

oh well, i forget more faces than i do names and all the names i make up.

cheers.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 10:23 pm

their invites ended up in the same mailbox as the meatmen and the buttholes were at the touch-n-go anniversary...
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 10:31 pm

over-educated poofter is my guess.
2 wrongs don't make a right
Posted: Jul 6, 2008 11:04 am

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 11:05 am

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 5:51 pm

2 wrongs don't make a right

too bad, that was a compliment.

like the faulkner talk, though.
Posted: Jul 6, 2008 6:02 pm

2 wongs dont make a white.
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 12:34 pm | Edited by: Alexfast

yeah SP are wankers- I have heard too many stories- of bands they dissed or told them to get haircuts after the grunge. SO crash away

Girl trouble was on Empty for a time- viva eMpTy
always a better label.

URL
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 12:43 pm

but than I start remembering that lubricated goat single.

now that would make a great party crash- meating my head
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 12:46 pm

MEATING MY HEAD

indeed!
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 5:17 pm

20th century rake!

sell me your copy.

other sp stuffs to remember:
six finger satellite
green magnet school
afghan whigs
god's balls lp
cat butt
buzz factory lp
icky joey
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 5:18 pm

psychodelicatessen/play the devil's music too
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 7:02 pm

used to love that screaming trees dbl 7"... haven't listened it in a while.

and top tin toy... Sub Pop 100 rules!
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 9:22 am

anything they put out for das damen too!

top tin toy

the fluid are playing a secret show thurs at the sunset in ballard for any other seattle tin top toy appreciators.. with green river and press corps (fluid/mudhoney soup group)
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 12:16 pm

What's up with Love Battery?
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 12:19 pm

Love Battery

i am close to narrowing down where they are...
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 8:48 pm

Must be doing a Gearhead photo shoot.
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 1:38 am | Edited by: dale

Hazel wont be there but if that dancer they had is still alive I bet he'll be in the crowd.

ERIC'S TRIP?! Where are they? I actually love that band.
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 3:04 pm

green magnet school

I've never seen anyone but me mention them! You rule. I have all their shit and that sub pop single may be my favorite.

Also, can't forget the Dead Moon SP single!

So, why doesn't sub pop have to call them TVK?
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 3:09 pm

They became that Elevator Through band or Elevator or Elevator Out Of It. They had a couple of records with different names involving Elevator. One of them was pretty good.
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 3:39 pm

They became that Elevator Through band or Elevator or Elevator Out Of It. They had a couple of records with different names involving Elevator. One of them was pretty good.

Wasn't that just the one guy? I know Julie did some solo records too. Wasn't into much of their post Eric's Trip stuff but there's a couple cool Elevator songs here and there.
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 6:40 pm

It was Elevator to Hell then just Elevator Through. The skinny singer/guitarist, his wife Tara on bass, and the same drummer from Eric's Trip. I just sold what i had left of all this stuff. Loved it at the time. Julie's records are pretty folky/ boring from the ones i've heard.
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 6:42 pm

Oh yeah- Elevator to Hell was mostly just Rick White or whatever his name- the skinny long haired dude.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®