Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / a dog story
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 10:29 pm

I just want to share this story for some reason, maybe as a confession, but yesterday, Sunday, I got in my car around noon and I backed over my dog Nico's legs. it was the weirdest thing, I thought I hit something, and then I thought maybe it was a stray cat, and next I see her limping beside the car. My neighbor a human Doctor (named Doc) came over and checked her out and said nothing was broken, and that since she lty him touch her legs she must be okay. Nico is 10 1/2 and getting a little strange, like for example, I never ever saw her get under my car before except to fetch a ball maybe.

Well it was sunday and by night she was growling at me if I came near, I gave her a benedryl to get her to sleep. In the morning she still hadn't moved and wouldn't get up, I really couldn't figure out how to move her into the car and then into the vet office, and I couldn't find any vets that make house calls. (strange).

At 9 am Monday I went out to PetStar to find some pet relief drugs. I found these awesome sedatives that are all herbal and really work called Quiet Moments. The guy there recommended Aleve, you can't give a dog tylenol or asirin, maybe baby aspirin, but if they have been hit by a car they might have internal bleeding and aspirin thins blood. So I gave her two crushed Aleve and 3 calming pills mixed in with some baby food chicken dinners that I was never gonna feed to Valentine. At 3:30 she got up and hobbled outside and even wanted to play ball. it was crazy. I really thought I'd killed my dog. I learned that a lot of pepple give old dogs one Aleve everyday. She was really in a good mood too.

Nico has shared the sleeping bags of lotta great rock n rollers in her 10 years, and also sported a Goner Tee so I wanted to post this.
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 10:38 pm

nothing was broken

How? I mean, how is that possible? What a freakish, terrible thing. Super sorry...
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 12:07 am

poor dog; is she OK then?
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 1:02 am

poor nico! glad she's doing better!

you can also try glucosamine for her joints if she starts stiffening up... and vitamin c. we gave daley some when she was ailing and she got so excited she ran started running into walls! hemant said some miracle german shepherd dude has really old german shepherds and attributes it to the vitamins. i dunno.

here's nico sporting the original, tiny, glow in the dark goner t!
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 1:27 am

holy shit, you must be relieved she is up and about.

get stronger soon nico... (as if she can read).
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 8:30 am

glad you pooch is alright! i wouldn't give her anymore aleve though, prolly not good for her kidneys/liver. eric's right about the glucosamine & vitamin c...fish oil capsules are ok too.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 8:36 am

How? I mean, how is that possible?

i guess the same way possible when i saw that drunk dude get hit by, and roll under a car last week. though his arm and hand were broken he got up and walked away.

hope the dog gets better though.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 9:40 am

Hope Nico's gonna be OK!

I can sympathize. When I was a kid my mom ran over my dog Schwartz when she was backing out of the driveway. Schwartz was 12 years old and not quite so lucky, two of her legs broke and she had to be put to sleep.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 9:41 am

Good luck to you and your pup. She looks sweet....a lot nicer than my boyfriend's mongrel, who ate a pile of horse shit this morning.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 9:46 am

i witnessed a neighbor's dog get absolutely broadsided in the street by a car. the dog bounced at least 8 feet off the bumper. the thud & yelp were enough to bring a few neighbors outside.

the dog then cowered back home. when the neighbor lady came out i told her the dog got hit by a car & she needed to take it to a vet ASAP because it probably had any number of internal injuries.

two days later, the dog was walking around in no apparent pain.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 9:47 am

dogs love shit, but isn't that mongrel YOURS as well?
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 9:58 am

i saw a dog get hit by a car once and it ran over to me crying and laid down in front of me and pissed itself. as i was comforting him, the redneck owner came over and said "c'mon dog, get up..." and i went about my business.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 10:35 am

Nico is a wonderdog.

She'll be taking you on a walk very soon.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 10:37 am

....a lot nicer than my boyfriend's mongrel, who ate a pile of horse shit this morning.

When did you guys get a horse? I take it you're using the empty lot next to you for grazing and the such.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 3:40 pm

Nico is looking a lot better, but just got me back with two giant grassy barfs on the rug. I'm gonna try that glucosamine, it was all over in the dog health section. Daly lived to be 17, right?
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 3:49 pm

if you figure out what the dosage is for dogs you can get it for people much cheaper, tough it doesn't have a taste that dogs like, which is why we still more on it for charlie, we get it from petsmart.com
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 4:50 pm

Oh man I'm glad Nico is ok she is my old dog boss hogs puppy . Saw her born on Christmas in a pile of snow . Blood +snow = gross !!
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 4:52 pm

when she gets better can i rub her all over my face?
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 7:45 pm

i don't know what that means, joe.

anyway, yeah, daly was an old lab! nico's got a lot of living to do.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 8:01 pm

i wanna rub soft furry animals all over my face.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 8:05 am

Some of my favourite Memphis times were taking Nico on walks/swims.

Glad she’s doing well!
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 8:48 am

Blood +snow = SNOWCONE!
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 9:12 am

snow visions!
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 1:04 pm

That sucks!!!

I've been obsessed with my dog after watching this video the other day:

CUTE ALERT!!!
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 1:10 pm | Edited by: jahna

I'm glad your dog is ok!

I've been obsessed with my dog after watching this video the other day:

I kept waiting for the moment when the lion would maul those retarded hippies.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 3:15 pm

I kept waiting for the moment when the lion would maul those retarded hippies.

Me too! I thought it was a joke and that the lion was gonna eat those sombitches!!!
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 6:56 pm

Aww, glad to hear she's alright!

hemant said some miracle german shepherd dude has really old german shepherds and attributes it to the vitamins. i dunno.

yeah, he told me that his german shepherds live to be about 20 years old all due to ester-C tabs. Google shows similar anecdotes...and I figured it couldn't hurt.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®