Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Shear Genius
Posted: Jun 28, 2008 5:25 pm

How much blow did they give to these stylists before they went on camera???

"I'm gonna kick ass at this challenge and frankly, I'm the cutest thing you've ever seen..." (said at approximately a zillion mph)

"I'm gonna move them like an 'ocean' cos I'm deep..." (this coming from a black dude named "Oshun")
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 10:52 am

Yes! I watch. People getting bad hair and the bitchy antics of narcissistic coke-head stylists is endlessly entertaining.
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 3:04 pm

That "mentor" idiot that comes up when they are executing their bullshit challenges and says "hi hi!"???? Don't get me started. Are salons truly full of the most annoying people in the world? This seems to be what this series is trumpeting.
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 3:09 pm

the name Oshun blew my mind and the mentor guys extremely tiny crazy weird head was insane!

yes, all were annoying as all get out...
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 4:42 pm

And the blonde host? What is up with the facial plastic surgery MESS? Jaclyn Smith is a damn Westworld robot too.
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Kim Squinty-whatever was not on last season, but the mega Euro unrecognizeably accented, blowdry-flap fag was...with the pair of them I might have to scream.
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 5:22 pm | Edited by: saispas

Hi Hi!!!!

(Believe me, I won't miss another episode this season)

I can't decide if I like that cross-eyed gay boy with the super-snarky attitude--the one who said he was gonna make the Marge Simpson hair "pubic"...I think I started to like him after he said that.
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 1:23 pm

ahh- i didnt realize the new season was on!
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 1:43 pm

What is up with the facial plastic surgery MESS?
That dude was on some show on A&E or something- "People Addicted to Plastic Surgery." I asked my wife (a hairdresser) if she had heard of that guy and she said, "Yeah, because he was on that freak show plastic surgery TV show."

Whenever they introduce the celebrity judges and the contestants pipe up, "I was so excited to be performing for so and so. He's my idol," my wife always shouts at the TV, "Shut up! You've never heard of that guy! You live in Alabama."

She's pretty down on haircutting reality shows, though, after her salon was featured on the Style Channel trainwreck, Split Ends. What a debacle that was
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 3:35 pm

WHAT!!!??? Her place was on Split Ends. Now you gots to spill it.

I just saw an episode of that that almost made me cry--the Asian kid going into the totally ghetto Cleveland black salon that truly wanted to start serving more ethnicities--they embraced the kid and vice versa. Versus their truly annoying fat version of Kanye West stylist with the Kanye-sized ego going to the Houston strip mall, Asian salon that was full of flat ironed Koreans. They had some weird factory set up where 8 people ended up working on your hair from start to finish.
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 3:51 pm

That....one...was...awesome!!
(I knew somebuddy wuz gonna mention Split Ends!!)

Now you gots to spill it.

Yeah, spill it!
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Now you gots to spill it.

Yeah, spill it!

I saw that episode you're talking about. That was the best episode of that show ever. (It was also the ONLY good episode of that show ever.)

John, a stylist at my wife's salon (in Berkeley) switched places with a female stylist from Staten Island. The S.I. woman was a total publicity whore and she did whatever possible to create drama. It was later learned that she had previously appeared on another reality show and she has an agent! Even though she got along great with all of the stylists at the Berkeley salon, whenever they had her do her "confessionals" on camera away from everybody else, she would talk smack to create the drama the producers wanted. Plus, the producers had the Berkeley stylists take her to go do yoga and to the raw food restaurant to illustrate how "Berkeley" they were, even though nobody at the salon is like that. The lady talked crap about doing that, too.

John got totally reamed. He's been a stylist for almost 20 years and he gets close to $100 a cut, but he ONLY does haircuts. When he got to the salon in SI, they had him doing color and updos to make him look like a fool. On the show, they make it look like he's doing updos for these teen girls' prom, but they weren't even going to prom. All fake. Since John likes to meditate, at the end of the show, the producers give him a Buddha statue to present to the SI salon on camera so he can leave a piece of him with them or some such sentimental crud. Newsflash! Reality shows are fake! He was pretty bummed out that they made him look like a tool just because he wouldn't play along.

My wife wouldn't play along, either. When they asked her for comments about the SI stylist to try and get her to "stir the pot," she'd just say something like, "Oh, she's great." Because of that, she appeared on camera for like 2 seconds.
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 5:29 pm

I SAW THAT!!!!

I thought it was in LA...or maybe there was another episode featuring yoga and raw food in LA.
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 8:58 pm

The "official" description:

Episode description: Will three days in a spiritually-aware salon be enough to chip away at a stuck-up Staten Island princess' tough outer shell? Symantha Lawrence is about to find out as she swaps salons with John Bickford, a Berkeley hairdresser who knows what he likes--and likes what he knows: cutting. While Symantha's specialty is color, color is one area John has yet to dip into. And it's totally stressing him out! Will he be able to venture outside of his comfort zone? Or is this super-competitive, stuck-up Staten Island salon too much for him? Meanwhile, failure is not an option for Symantha, who prefers to have everything her way. Will the Berkeley crew be able to break down her walls? Or will her bratty attitude bring everyone down?
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 9:19 pm

I saw that one too. Everything on that show is so clearly embellished, enhanced and fabricated for added awkwardness, that it rarely influences my opinion of the stylists. John from Berkeley was totally likable and so was his salon (kept looking for people I knew there) regardless of any of the horseshit "reality" TV trite they tried to create. I barely remember the Staten Island person...I certainly wish I hadn't deleted that one from my DVR, so I could watch it again!

Did anyone see the one where the mountain hippie from Oregon traded with the skinny superficial bitch from...maybe...Jersey, or Minneapolis? The hippie stylists shop was a funky biker barber/antique crap store...and she had a very pregnant manager who sat there in a Pierced Arrows t-shirt and did jack shit all day. They obviously forced them into all sorts of ridiculous conflict, like making the high-heeled snotty lady go to a Lamaze class and drive an old school bus...
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 9:19 pm

Oh, that's rich.
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 9:27 pm

There was a bizzare episode where a sorta new age-y girl from Chicago switched with a guy who owned a salon outside Ft. Lauderdale. The FTL guy's shop had a receptionist who was about 70 and was a dead-ringer for Madame from "Wayland Flowers and Madame" fame. She'd come into work without her dentures in and would then proceed to put on her wig, makeup, and work clothes before finally putting in her teeth.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 12:35 am

Dude, Hugh. I'll sing show tunes with you all night, but this is where a man has to stop.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 5:48 am

Episode description: Will three days in an Iraqi salon be enough to chip away at a stuck-up Staten Island princess' tough outer shell? Symantha Lawrence is about to find out as she swaps salons with Abdul Ahmed, a downtown Baghdad hairdresser who knows what he likes--and likes what he knows: cutting, and dismantling live IED's. While Symantha's specialty is color, color is one area Abdul has yet to dip into. And it's totally stressing him out! Will he be able to venture outside of his comfort zone? Or is this super-competitive, stuck-up Staten Island salon too much for him? Meanwhile, failure is not an option for Symantha, who prefers to have everything her way. Will the Baghdad crew be able to break down her walls? Or will her bratty attitude bring everyone down?
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 7:29 am

The "yoga and raw food" one I am thinking about was in LA; the owner of the salon was a New Age-y gazillionaire and they forced this "sweet, blonde, Texan mom" into stuff like meditation, tofu and the like. On "Her Day" she brought BBQ and the anorexic assistants refused to eat it. Or that is what the producers would have you think. They also made it out that the snooty manager condemned the hair and clothing choices of the Texan...but they ALWAYS have that in an episode.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 10:40 pm

Shear Genius ep 2. What up?

My boss has known the cross-eyed bald queen for years, and says she once "took an amazing updo class from him that changed her life" (evidently, cuz she don't do hair no mo!).....says he's every bit as talented and bitchy as he comes across...he wouldn't sit with the breeders at lunch! HA!

Dallas the crier is nutzoid!
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 5:32 pm

Wait? Don't tell me this shit did not tape. Grrrrr. Our HD DVR is possessed and if we have to trade it in again (will be the third one in a month and a half), I will seriously considering getting a DISH.
Posted: Jul 6, 2008 9:28 am

Got it cos Bravo repeats everything a million times. Hi Hi guy also says "SHAKE IT!" which drives me even more crazy. And the guy Charlie totally deserved the win even though that cut is done to death. It looked great on her.
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 12:22 pm

ok, the "shake it" "shag it" drives me insane...i didn't even know what the fuck he was saying up until now...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®