Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / ETSY vs eBay
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 8:38 pm

I am getting around to selling some pics and maybe some cratfy stuff. Which would be better?
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 8:45 pm

etsy. you run your own little site. its kinda like a blog for selling shit.
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 9:20 pm

yer bro's right

selling pix on ebay is really hit or miss

i got lucky and put up a billy idol pic on ebay just when some billy idol fanatics were looking for something and got decent money for it but - for a bruce springsteen pic - totally no response and it sold for a fraction of what the idol shot sold for
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 9:27 pm

Etsy, hands down.
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 11:39 pm

i HATE etsy. That shit is disorganized to the max...but for what you are selling, your market is probably more acessible on etsy. I still HATE it though.
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 7:30 am

etsy is so disorganized, but damn it has potential. I'd do a little of both as a test run. Check out what you are doing vs other people on etsy because there is a huge number of people doing virtually the same stuff. My friend Liza who is a realllllly good designer chose it to sell her stuff and I was hoping for more at her level, but can't locate anything as good.
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 11:06 am

regardless of where you sell your stuff, its important to draw people's attention to where it is.

i can't find anything anywhere and i'm not a moron at searching.

the ebay or etsy regulars will either find you because they know how, or stumble upon you.

other people, who don't ebay or etsy on a regular basis, will go to your pages there if directed.

you know - myspace bulletins, message board notices, etc
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 11:10 am

I'd say Etsy.
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 11:45 am

i can't find anything anywhere and i'm not a moron at searching.

I haven't put anything up yet. Still debating which way to go. I was leaning toward etsy but wasn't sure if people really knew about it yet. I've pretty much decided to go to etsy. I'll let you know when I have stuff up.
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 3:19 pm

please tell what happens...i'm considering etsy over ebay just for the crafty stuff that i've made.

let me know what you think of it. i browsed over there a little and i just can't tell.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 5:53 pm | Edited by: Windy

Finally got my etsy site up. Decided to sell crafty stuff b/c I don't think there is as much of a market for pics right now.

I like it so far. it is WAY easier to use than ebay and the fees don't seem to be as much.

you can see what I'm selling

windylou.etsy.com

More coming as soon as I can get it made. Anybody need fancy pants burp cloths? bibs?
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 6:12 pm

I'm really interested in this, too. So, what's the deal with Etsy...like the fees.

I've sold on eBay for a long time. But, don't dare try and sell my "art" on there. I've got lots of vintage stuff I sell on eBay. Is there a market for that stuff too?
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 6:26 pm | Edited by: saispas

I think Etsy is a much better site these days for selling vintage. MUCH. Fuck eBay.
(cute WindyLou!)
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 6:33 pm | Edited by: Alisa

yeah, fuck eBay. But I just sold a WWII Hunter Fan Victory Girl calendar on there for $75. Best transaction I've ever had.

Not monetarily the best, but the nicest...and I got what I wanted for the calendar.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 7:02 pm

So, what's the deal with Etsy...like the fees.

fees are $. 20 per item to list
account is free
shop is free
listings stay up until sold or 4 months
3.5% fee on the sale (I think?)
plus paypal fees

I'm not sure that it comes out to be any cheaper than eBay, but I like the set up much better. Most of the stuff is just artists or crafters trying to earn a few bucks, not somebody trying to gouge for yardsale junk
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 10:02 pm

I'm not sure that it comes out to be any cheaper than eBay,

It is - I just checked. Way cheaper, and you can buy 24 hours of advertising on their "showcase" page for $7.00

Alisa - you should go for it.I'm having fun with it even though I haven't sold anything. My one suggestion would be to have a lot of "stock" so that you can just photo and list everything right away.
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:45 am

I'd agree--have enough stock for a "shop" feel, but not too much that people feel overwhelmed looking through it all. The layout is gorgeous. Take nice photos that are staged too--that seems to help.

There are some really good artists on Etsy selling stuff for cheap. Some stuff is extraordinarily overpriced but that is always fun for a laff.
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 11:53 am

wow "vintage" stuff is so cool.
I better start up an Etsy store! and start selling junk to the masses!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 3:21 pm

my roommate sells her art on etsy and does pretty well with it. i don't think she uses ebay at all even. one tip she gave me was to update new stuff on your site often, not all at once. when you click on what you want to look at (art, vintage, etc.), it will have the newer listings first.

while you will want to obviously market your store through other avenues, that will attract more people to your site that normally wouldn't know about it.

i've been thinking about putting my vintage stuff up on etsy for awhile. i started the project a long while back, but i just have yet to get off my lazy bum and get to it. got way too many clothes. le sigh.
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 6:28 pm

one tip she gave me was to update new stuff on your site often, not all at once. when you click on what you want to look at (art, vintage, etc.), it will have the newer listings first.

That's a really good tip. I searched myself a day after I posted several items and they were between 16 and 60 pages back. ONE DAY. You can "renew" listings for the price of the listing fee ($.20 per item) which puts them back at the top and extends the listing 4 mos from the newest listing date.

Elle - what's your friend's site?
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks for the info, Windy. I may think about putting the prints up there. Do people REALLY buy "art"? I could Memphis niche it, I guess...

tet68 is the only person ever to buy a print from my website. Despite his perviness, he was a good egg about it, and I appreciated it. Hi tet68!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Alisa - your collages are too cool not to give it a try, especially if you have stuff sitting around that you don't have to go out and spend a bunch of $$$ to start up.
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:10 pm

Alisa - your collages are too cool

They're awesome. Set up a store and I'll buy one right now!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:48 pm

Elle - what's your friend's site?

it's http://shuusei.etsy.com

she also uses bigcartel.com too, which i have heard is pretty good to use too and there are more areas in which you can set up a cart like modern clothing and cds and records, not just vintage clothes, crafts and art although it has that too.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 10:46 am

Set up a store and I'll buy one right now!

Well, gee, thanks! I will definitely look into it!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®