Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Me and the Stranglers
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 6:45 pm

WTF is up with The Stranglers? I've tried in my life at least a half dozen
times to get into them and it never happens.. I think it all started with the
Raven...

Anyway, I picked up a copy of '1977-1982 the Collection' in the used bin today and things were looking up as I threw it on the hifi. Then what always happens, happened. I got to their 'version' of "Walk on By"...
the extended remix version and everything just descended into suckness
once again.
Waltzin Black sounds like some weak ass attempt at "Strawberries" era Damned
"Something Better Change"..yeah, like this record, real fast..
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 9:18 pm | Edited by: Shawn Carpetbagger

I'm a big UK punk fan. But yeah, I'm in the same boat as you...I just don't give a fuck about The Stranglers. That song "Bitchin'" is decent but that's about the only one. I always thought of them as bandwagon jumpers. The "punk" label helped them sell records. There were so many better UK punk bands from that era like The Pistols, The Damned, Siouxsie & The Banshees, X-Ray Spex, Johnny Moped, The Adverts, Buzzcocks, The Slits, yadda, yadda, yadda. They just don't rate in my book.
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 9:24 pm

no more heroes and get a grip. peaches, nice and sleazy...
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 12:26 am

Lots of people have big hangups when it comes to the Stranglers, but I like them a lot. At least from the beginning til' the Meninblack concept album (which has some good songs on it if you look)... But, I'm a bit goofy in the head or something. "Bring on the Nubiles" is always funny...

And, uh, Benwah, I'm pretty sure "Waltzinblack" came out before "Strawberries." The Damned and the Stranglers were/are buddies, though...
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 12:28 am

Oh, and I think "The Raven" is a great album. I might be the only one on this board that thinks that...

If you don't think of them as a punk band, you'll be fine. Think of them as a psych band with real pumping bass player and a goofy sense of false aggression and misogny...
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 4:45 pm

no more heroes and get a grip.

Yup.

"The Raven" is a great album

Yup.

I might be the only one on this board that thinks that

Nope.

I always really liked the song "Who Wants The World?" & at one time or another, I have a live CD that sported a stellar version "Peasant In The Big Shitty".

They were a pop band, not a punk band. If you go lookin' for punk, you won't find it.
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 5:37 pm | Edited by: Parker

Shut up is a great punk song. It's on the b side of nice and Sleazy and appeared on some reissue of the Black and White Album. URL
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 12:50 am

yes indeed; that song kicks ass, but I never heard it until I got that 7" in a lot of Stranglers singles I won off of eBay about five years ago now- about 10 or 12 of them, I think, of which I only already had the "Nuclear Device (Wizard Of Aus)" one

I was about to be a nerd and quote the entire lyrics on here, but I forgot the last line; and that Meninblack record is pretty good, as I recall, but not as good as The Raven- I draw the line after thosem though

someone once described The Stranglers as a punk rock Doors with a British accent and a very bad attitude; which is about right, I guess
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 6:06 am

someone once described The Stranglers as a punk rock Doors with a British accent and a very bad attitude

yeah..that does sound about right...I never thought of them as a punk band, just a band I couldn't get into after repeated trys...there's a lot of those around...

you're also right about Waltzin Black...came out a year or so before Strawberries...but I'd still rather listen to Strawberries...
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 11:37 am

Granted I'm just an old geeky girl, but I love the Stranglers! Jet Black has to be the colest dude ever. Death and Night and Blood!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 11:50 am

No love for "Bring on the Nubiles?" Thought that was the bull's teats when I was 14.
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 2:12 pm

when they started they were older- pub rockers. Caught the punk drift just like Nick Lowe- but JJ Burnel is half a reason they rocked.

Plus he could play an entire show by sticking his leg straight out as in a karate move (he was a black belt)

For sure Raven, Something better change or Nice and Sleazy are greats

No more heroes anymore...
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 2:18 pm

Nice'N'Sleazy Battersea Park 1978
URL
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 7:15 pm

"I feel like a wog, people give me the eyes
But I born here just like you you you you
I feel like a wog, got all the dirty shitty jobs
Everybody's gotta have something to do do do with their time..."

that was a new word for me when I was, like, 16; I am a Yank yunno

and yes, Mr. Trickknee, I love "Bring On the Nubiles" too
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 7:16 pm

and JJ Burnel's solo album kicks ass, guys; well, the first one anyway (Euroman Cometh from 1979)- there may be more, but I forget
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 1:18 pm

You been mouthing off through the night
I didn't want to listen anyway
The conversation ain't that bright
I know what you're about to say

I'm gonna have to leave you here
You can argue with yourself all night
I got a lot of things to do
I can't wait to get out of sight
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 3:51 pm

yes, thank you; that's what I was trying to say...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®