Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Touring Bands and $4.00 Gas
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 3:32 pm

If gas prices stay above $4.00, what the hell is a touring band gonna do?

I'm serious. I'm not in a band, but I sure like it when my favorite bands come to New Orleans. Is it already cost-prohibitive for a band to go on tour and play for less than 100 people at each city?
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 3:39 pm

drum machines are where it's at!
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Yeah. LOTS of fucking people that are my 'friends' run around austin bragging about how they don't have to pay to get in here and here. That shit REALLY rules. Puke.

We've been paying $5 cover for shows for 15 years -- I think it needs to be $7 standard now.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 3:44 pm

A LOT of bands I know are staying home this summer. When gas was 2 bucks it was almost prohibitive to tour, now I don't know how bands can do it. Most small bands average less than 100 bucks a night (that hasn't changed in the last 15 years). Most folks don't understand the economics of being on the road, they think everyone makes tons of $$$$$, but if you are not the Black Lips, that ain't the case.

I'm taking a group of national All-Star Rock School kids on the road in July. A couple of months ago, I was getting quotes of 800-900 a day for a charter bus, fuel and driver. Today the bids are all in the 1100 a day range just because of the fuel costs. $4 is just the start. We'll see $6+ before it is all said and done.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 3:48 pm

ride the rails

FTRA!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 3:49 pm

Also -- I've been stressing about Gonerfest! I. WANNA. GO.

It's $423 to fly.

And I did some math today jsut for fun for renting a car:
Austin to Memphis = 646 miles x 2 = 1,300
(10 hrs x 2 = 18-20 hrs travel time -- boooo)
Rental Car Fees = $175-$185 (not incl insurance)
Economy car fuel stats = 17 gallon tank, 27 mpg hwy, 372 miles x 4 tanks of gas = $284 + cost of rental = $471

I mean divided by four people isn't bad == but still the cost is astronomical
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 3:51 pm

c'mon grab your bundle and hop that freight
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:09 pm

we're frettin' it, too. Come on Oil Companies, sponsor some festivals! Pay the bands! Make the cover charge miniscule so people can afford to come.

fug.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:12 pm

It's $423 to fly.
It's only $110 r/t on Greyhound. It's 13 hours each way and you'll probably see a bunch of freaks, but it's really not THAT bad.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:20 pm

I. WANNA. GO.

It's $423 to fly.

Me too. Dang...$360 from Denver, and I thought that was bad...and it is bad, considering last year it was $220 and non-stop on Frontier, who has now discontinued service to Memphis altogether. Things are fucking grim.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:20 pm

shows in milwaukee, even basement shows are at least 6 to 8 bucks now. id rather pay the more and see a band i like than not
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:24 pm

Fly. In. To. Little. Rock. Then. Car. Pool.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:25 pm

Yeah on our tour we're going to definitely lose money. I figured up the gas for the tour and it's going to cost around $2000... JUST FOR GAS! I've actually already been thinking of what records and equipment (irony?) I can sell to cover the losses...
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:28 pm

When gas was 2 bucks it was almost prohibitive to tour, now I don't know how bands can do it. Most small bands average less than 100 bucks a night (that hasn't changed in the last 15 years).

Exactly.

You can do like the Guilty Hearts just did - do it anyway, just be prepared to lose a shitload of money. Touring in the states has always been a money-losing proposition. Used to be, if you made enough to kinda cover expenses you could justify it as a "vacation" of sorts, but if you are going to lose a grand or so it becomes less appealing. Why save up your vacation time at your shitty job to lose money doing a shitty tour, when you could lose that money taking an actual vacation?

We've been paying $5 cover for shows for 15 years -- I think it needs to be $7 standard now.

What she said. But I also sympathize because incomes in this country have been flat for the past 15 years, too. Everybody's expenses have been going up, bands and audience alike, but average wages are the same. Gas, housing, food, all through the roof. Min. wage is still five bucks and change an hour. Nobody is making any extra money, and now the economy is headed straight into the shitter and people are going to have even less to spend.

We outsourced all our industry overseas, this country doesn't make anything anymore, our entire economy is based on people driving around and eating fried chicken.

The country has been looted by the richest 1%. I just read this book, and I'm pissed.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:29 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

Somehow we got plane tix from SF to Memphis for $250 on Airtran, but we bought them the first week of June. The same flights are $100 more now.

I'm serious about Greyhound. That's how I got to Bellingham, WA from Iowa for Garageshock in 1991. It was like a travelling freak show, but it was an experience that I remember quite fondly. I went by myself and thought it was all right, but with a few friends it could be a blast.

Eric, I've got a perfect sponsorship tie-in for you guys:
Goners Go Greyhound!
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:31 pm

Pay the bands! Make the cover charge miniscule so people can afford to come.

Gulp. Forgetting about that cost too. But cover never really hurts that bad cause it's purcahsed with a different pay check (not $$ I gotsta save fo da trip).

Whatever - cover charge is nothing compared to the cost of BOOOOZIN!
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:36 pm

BOOOOZIN!

drink by the dumpster
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:37 pm

Greyhound

Who's got the extra time for that shit? I gotta job and a kiddo...tho it would be a better way to burn off the hangover coming home...
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

an amtrak ticket (round trip) to memphis from nola is now WAY cheaper than the gas would cost to drive. that's kind of crazy. two people sharing a car is about as expensive as two people taking the amtrak.

problem is you still need a damn car when you get to memphis.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Who's got the extra time
From Colorado, it's probably too far, unless you have all the time in the world. But if it's a 15 hour trip or less, it's not the end of the world. What you do is get a trip back at night and save an extra day's hotel costs. It's way easier to sleep on the bus than an airplane.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:48 pm

It's way easier to sleep on the bus than an airplane.

Splain.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Well, it's nice that all these bands come out to Cali and play but I can't help wondering how they can do it ... drawing less than 70 people, at $5-$7 a throw (the ones that pay).

I stopped with the guest list whinging a while back --- figured the least I could do was flow with the dough to encourage musicians.

the "Get in the Van" era is over
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:50 pm

For any bands flyin, airlines now also charge you for each checked bag. 15 bucks each way! So more people are trying to carry on more shit rather than checking it...So - less likely for there to be room in the overhead bin for that gee-tar.

Driving is expensive. Flying is expensive. If you think it's bad now for "summer travel season," wait until the holidays when gas is even pricier and people figure out they can't travel cheaply across the country to see the family anymore.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:51 pm

Splain.

a 15 hour trip

plus no movies and no stewardesses asking if you want a drink

the only drinks you'll be offered will allow you to fall back asleep within minutes too
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:52 pm

I'm taking the train down to LA next week. Takes a while but it's a nice ride. We need high-speed rail.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:55 pm

It's way easier to sleep on the bus than an airplane.

Splain.

There's a lot more leg room and the seats are wider. And there's no flight attendant hassling you to wear your seat belt on the outside of your blanket. With any luck, there won't be any screaming kids onboard, but that's always a possibility.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:57 pm

the only drinks you'll be offered will allow you to fall back asleep within minutes too
Also, there's no difficult security process to get on board, so you can totally bring booze on the bus with you. I think everybody on the Greyhound was drunk or on something.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Well, it's nice that all these bands come out to Cali and play but I can't help wondering how they can do it ... drawing less than 70 people, at $5-$7 a throw (the ones that pay).

Even with "cool" clubs and promoters, the breakdown is usally something like this:

70 X $5= $350
Door person, sound person= $100
Promoter "fees"= $100
2 opening "acts"= $50 each

that leaves $100 for a band that just travelled at least a couple of hundred miles. I took a group of kids to play in dallas last Sun, it cost $150 in gas for the 400 mile round trip. End result, it just cost the touring band $50 to play a show, not counting food and lodging, beer, guitar strings, etc.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 5:04 pm

And nobody buys cds at shows anymore, as they just Soulseek everything.

Another potential coupla bucks per show gone.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Ditto.

Share the cost for those comfy van things to Memphis. Share a rental car. Share hotels (we already have our guest--sorry we have a studio apartment).
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 5:16 pm

think its bad now, wait until gas is 10$ a gallon. then the idea of touring simply being expensive goes straight to impossible unless youre independently wealthy.

http://www.nysun.com/business/gasoline-may-soon-cost-a-sawbuck/75363/
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 5:19 pm

I just checked...it's MORE EXPENSIVE...tho non-stop flights...

I can do Airtran to Memphis for $306, but I have to come home Monday (oh, darn), or someshits to Lil' Rock for $380...
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 5:25 pm

Door person, sound person= $100
Promoter "fees"= $100

I only wish this had been true
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 5:45 pm

A 3 piece band from Oakland played at the Hitone last night that were touring in a little Hyundai sedan. They had a baby drum kit, and 2 Vox practice amps with what looked like 6 inch speakers. This is the future.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 5:48 pm

or just go the mexico/japan way and venue/local band supplies the gear
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 5:57 pm

I just checked...it's MORE EXPENSIVE...tho non-stop flights...

I can do Airtran to Memphis for $306, but I have to come home Monday (oh, darn), or someshits to Lil' Rock for $380...

Weird. Try Nashville.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 6:18 pm

I brought this question up are year ago here and shit, things are even worse now.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 6:33 pm

Goners Go Greyhound

i love it. will get sponsor packet to 'em immediately.

shit, Northwest has got a hub here but we can't get 'em to give us any deals.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 6:39 pm

this thread is depressing!
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 6:51 pm

does the green tortoise go to memphis?

all the hippie sex you could want along the way
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 6:57 pm

b b b but if you play out of town, you'll be a rock star for sure!

I quit a band this year due to such delusions, and a looming $550 gas bill for driving from portland to san diego and back so that the singer could impress his high school buddies.

apparently other shitty bands are feelin' the crunch too:

blah blah poop blah
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 7:00 pm

I would mention a way around high gas prices but I think there are too many stupid no good bands touring as it is

get off the road and leave the driving to the real punks
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 7:06 pm

yeah, my big argument against it was: nobody gives a fuck about us here and we have no record to sell.

stay home, record, get better.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 7:08 pm

and don't forget to learn how to commit crimes

crucial in these end times
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 7:14 pm

gangs of armed marauding mexicans will soon be looting anything of value so you'll also have those to contend with.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 7:15 pm

As expensive as gas is, its still possible for a tour to break even, but may never be possible again. Instead of talking myself out of touring and I'm trying to convince myself this is our last chance before things turn all Road Warrior on us.

And fuck! it's $550+ roundtrip from PDX to Memphis for GFV - unfortunately, I don't think I can justify that.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 7:30 pm

Weird. Try Nashville.

Woah! I did...$210!! Who wants to carpool?? Um...how far is it?
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 7:56 pm

stay home and practice and ride bicycles

and learn pretty things/equals tunes
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 8:05 pm

Weird. Try Nashville.

Woah! I did...$210!! Who wants to carpool?? Um...how far is it?

a 3 1/2 hour drive
i do it all the time; i think my car can drive it without me

i'm going to gonerfest
if you wanna fly into nashville and drive to memphis w/ me, let me know.
it would be great to split the gas with someone
i am living in nashville, so i will be doing this drive anyway

just a warning that my plans are often stymied by the whims of clients, but my best case scenario is driving to goner fest
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 8:59 pm

3 1/2 hour drive

wuss.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 9:01 pm

I agree that long trips on Greyhound blow, but one sort of cool thing they offer are passes - so rather than getting a ticket from point A to point B, you get a week, or month or two month pass and you can go anywhere in the US (and some parts of Canada - and maybe Mexico?). It's nice in that it breaks up a long, long bus ride. You can get out in any city along the way, hang out as long as you want, and then hop on whatever bus you choose. About 10 years ago, I did a two month trip around the US that way. In my early 20's, I thought it was great - but in my early 30's there's no way in hell I'd do it again. I think it was around $350 bucks, back then, because I made a fake student ID to get a discount. The passes are quite a bit more expensive now, of course, but a 7-day pass is still cheaper than a round trip ticket from PDX to Memphis. If you hang out in random towns during the day, and hop on busses through the night, it's not so bad, and you don't have to worry about hotels or hostels.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 9:07 pm

It's only $110 r/t on Greyhound. It's 13 hours each way

but with a few friends it could be a blast.

I agree. Or at least tolerable.
But this changes everything:

Companion Fare
Bring a companion (either a child or an adult) for 50 percent off when you buy one adult ticket at the regular walk-up price at least three days in advance of travel. Offer good for both one-way and round trip tickets.

Ummm....yeah me and a bud splitting the cost = $85?
Fuck. We'd kind of be stupid not to. Right?
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 9:11 pm

Well. We're stupid. But $85 vs $423?
SERIOUSLY!!

Soooooo....I share my room w/ a band with a van/car and we'd be (sort of) set. Cause we ALL know how unreliable cabbies are in Memphis. Uuugh.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:12 am

Bands could lesson up on the equipment....leave the Marshall stacks at home, lol......

The problem isn't the $5 or $8 cover, it's the number of bands on the bill. You almost never need 4 bands, and alot of times band #3 sucks anyway.....
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:23 am

If you wanna fly into nashville and drive to memphis w/ me, let me know.

I just might! You rule, TK...I'll get my plans knocked out pretty soon.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:32 am

On his current tour, Chesney requires 18 trucks and 10 buses, says Steve Hoker, driver coordinator with the Nashville-based Hemphill Brothers Coach Co., whose clients have populated many a Billboard chart. The buses, which weigh about 56,000 pounds fully loaded and have 240-gallon gas tanks, cost about $1 a mile to operate; the 350-gallon trucks are slightly costlier, since they haul more weight (up to 80,000 pounds). A rough estimate reveals that the 1,000-mile trip from Portland to Las Vegas, where Chesney had a June 6 stop, cost upward of $28,000.

really, he needs literally 2 million pounds of equipment???
18 trucks x 80k lbs = 1,440,000lbs
+
10 buses x 56k lbs = 560,000lbs
--------------------------------------
total: 2 MILLION POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 5:44 am

Bear Proof Suit did a two-week tour last month playing mostly house shows and still came home with $400 not to mentioned the fact that the show we made the most money at ($250) was in Toronto so we had to spend all that Canadian cash the next day before we crossed back over. Here's how I see it:

1. Be a kick ass band so you'll actually, you know, make people WANT to buy your shit and help you out--Don't go on tour before you kick ass.
2. Have albums and shirts to sell--we're going $10 for those and $5 for 7"s right now to keep things simple but I've seen several bands selling their albums for $15 already in the last year although I think that's a bit ridiculous.
3. Tour is a VACATION from your regular life so have fun and if you end up having to pay in so be it, how many people take vacations and expect to somehow break even? Gotta live for today, folks.

-Ryan
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 5:52 am

I know these gas prices are hurting y'all, but it's getting real bad over here, too... UK unleaded is now approx $4 per LITRE, making a US gallon around $15!
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 7:18 am

shit yeah, i can't wait to get to the states and start paying half as much for petrol as i'm used to.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 7:24 am

Min. wage is still five bucks and change an hour.

although fuck. i'll stay here. minimum is at least three times that.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 7:28 am

Sorry kids, the only answer here is get a bus pass-Support Your Local Scene.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 7:59 am

i am booking a tour (ks, tx, la, and tn) now and there are only 2 long drives that are going to gouge the fuck out of us gas price wise. that and the fact that the guitar players van, though fairly new, is a diesel, so its 50cents more per gallon(maybe more) but 'better' mileage - not sure if that mileage transfers to a van with four people and full of gear. ouch. that said, please come see us and throw us some extra scratch.

thought about gonerfest and the option of taking the train down and bringing my bike, though drunk biking in memphis seems a bit of a death sentence.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 9:15 am

our entire economy is based on people driving around and eating fried chicken. = biodiesel
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 9:23 am

we're working on the cab situation. and hopefully a van running people to the main hotels each night.

stay tuned.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 9:47 am

Ewwww. Nithe. It's rad you're considering all this, Eric.
Cause I think we're pretty-much resigned to takin da bus now.

a van running people to the main

AFTER PARTIES!!! whoo-hoo!!! whaka-whaka
(or Lamplighter? can't believe I've still never been)
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 11:01 am

Drunk biking in Memphis = FUN!
I'd bring the bike.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 11:37 am

drunk biking in memphis seems a bit of a death sentence.
Drunk biking in Memphis = FUN!

They are both.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 11:38 am

Chesney requires 18 trucks and 10 buses

Fuck Kenny Chesney! He ruined our outfield!

plus, it's been reported that his act sucks
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 11:52 am | Edited by: jenna

3. Tour is a VACATION from your regular life so have fun and if you end up having to pay in so be it, how many people take vacations and expect to somehow break even? Gotta live for today, folks.

totally agree with this. $4 gas and $2 gas was why we never considered touring in the US. the quagmire of wanting to broaden your horizons is something you have to contemplate long and hard and weigh against real life. and so, make it your vacation. and if you can rock live to pay for your vacation, right on. but always be prepared to pay for it, if necessary.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Looks like it's going to be a tour of New Jersey for us!!
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:06 pm

Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:07 pm

I agree that long trips on Greyhound blow, but one sort of cool thing they offer are passes - so rather than getting a ticket from point A to point B, you get a week, or month or two month pass and you can go anywhere in the US (and some parts of Canada - and maybe Mexico?).
I was looking on the Greyhound site yesterday to check on the cost of those passes and it doesn't look like they offer them anymore. Those were a great deal.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:11 pm

Looks like it's going to be a tour of New Jersey for us!!

Court Tavern residency, here we come!
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:21 pm

I agree that long trips on Greyhound blow, but one sort of cool thing they offer are passes - so rather than getting a ticket from point A to point B, you get a week, or month or two month pass and you can go anywhere in the US (and some parts of Canada - and maybe Mexico?).
I was looking on the Greyhound site yesterday to check on the cost of those passes and it doesn't look like they offer them anymore. Those were a great deal.

They do still offer those passes at http://www.discoverypass.com However, the price is way up from when I last looked at them a few years ago
7 days = $329
60 days = $750
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:24 pm

$4 gas and $2 gas was why we never considered touring in the US.

that, and y'all would break up after every show.

Lamplighter? can't believe I've still never been

you ever been to a bar before? pretty much the same thing really.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:40 pm

They do still offer those passes at http://www.discoverypass.com However, the price is way up from when I last looked at them a few years ago
7 days = $329
60 days = $750

I couldn't find that info anywhere. I was considering doing a bus trip around the Southeast in 2002 and the 7 day pass was only about $100 less then. I would've expected a bigger increase.

Man, if a 2 or 3 piece band with minimal gear wanted to tour for 2 months, the 60 day pass might be a really smart way to go.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:45 pm

2 million pounds of chesney...
and to think, there are still many people who can remember when the beatles played shea stadium with a couple AC30s and 100 watt super beatles. no monitors, and even 100 watt amps had to have the transformers hand wired because they didnt make amps that powerful at the time. they used the house PA.

Posted: Jun 19, 2008 1:48 pm | Edited by: Whiskey Bent

I would've expected a bigger increase.

I hope r/t fares don't increase within the next couple weeks -- we need a little more time for a gameplan, paydays, more fest details, etc.

An increase is plausible right now.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 2:06 pm

How big is the tank on a Honda Rebel?

It is fucking ridiculous/hilarious, but Ryan can't go two feet on that Vespa in this town without people grilling him on the gas mileage/speed details.

And after being in South Memphis quite a bit lately,a number of those kids are spending their hard earned $$$ on the souped-up Korean scooters.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 2:12 pm

gas on the country road outside our property in CA is $4.59... just sayin...
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 2:16 pm

How big is the tank on a Honda Rebel?

Bray
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Hello Rebel!

They are really kinda goofy looking, but unless I can find a true vintage little bike, this may be the way to go.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 2:48 pm

maybe its different coming from texas - but it's $100 cheaper for me to fly to memphis than it is to LR

p.s. Whoo Pig!
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 2:56 pm

that, and y'all would break up after every show.

smartass. actually, we usually broke up during every show.

anyway, i'm horrified by the sights of the midwest under water. jesus christ. is this biblical?
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 2:59 pm

you would have to ask brad about that
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 3:29 pm

I couldn't find that info anywhere. I was considering doing a bus trip around the Southeast in 2002 and the 7 day pass was only about $100 less then. I would've expected a bigger increase.

On the Greyhound site, it says that the student discount on travel is 15%. If you're not a student, though, make a fake student ID on your computer for some made-up hippy-dippy massage school or something and have it laminated at your local copymat. It's a great way to scam Greyhound (you'd save about $50 off the cost of a 7-day pass). It looks like they make you buy a "student advantage" card now for $20, but if you open that page and navigate away from it, it brings you to a page where you can get the card for free for 30-days: http://www.studentadvantage.com/discountcard/
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 6:08 pm

this thread is depressing!

indeed.

they don't have the betty bus anymore from little rock. someone sued them for not being handicap accessible. you can get a cab and greyhound it though. it used to be pretty damn cheap to go greyhound from little rock to memphis.

drunk biking around memphis can be fun too, by the way. i do it often. just stay on the sidewalks after 3 am cuz everyone is drunk in cars then too and they certainly aren't lookin' out for you.

i'm probably going to go haywire at the end of the summer and go greyhounding around for a bit. buy a pass and just get the hell outta memphis for a bit. need a change of scenery and it's just too goddamn expensive to drive. i hate that because i am certainly going to miss the days of just jumping in a car and going wherever the fuck i want.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 6:22 pm

though drunk biking in memphis seems a bit of a death sentence.
Sober biking is a death sentence
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 6:31 pm

Posted: Jun 19, 2008 8:00 pm

jesus christ. is this biblical?
of course it is. the bible teaches He worketh ALL THINGS after the counsel of His own will. The Lord loves killing, and floods are one of his favorite tools. The Lord giveth and taketh away, blessed be the name of the Lord.
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 4:03 am

floods are one of his favorite tools.

Katrina musta given Him an erection.
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:06 pm

The Lord loves killing

dear god,
please biblically(?) flood manitowak (or however you spell that stupid shit town's name), specifically brad's house...brad, what's your address?....thank you. i'll stop being an atheist.
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:13 pm

$80 clams to fill up the ol Caprice today.

OUCH!
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:13 pm

You can do like the Guilty Hearts just did - do it anyway, just be prepared to lose...

i originally read that as "Exploding Hearts" and thought, "geez, that sounds like a fucking awful idea"...
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:27 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Some REALLY shitty two-piece band from New England, I think, toured on bicycles a few years ago!
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:27 pm

satch's last post is making me wanna cry....
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 10:46 am

an amtrak ticket (round trip) to memphis from nola is now WAY cheaper than the gas would cost to drive.
Book early. I just read a NYT article today about how the most popular routes (Crescent City being cited) are booked a month in advance.
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 11:26 am

MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!

The fucking $110 greyhound fare fr AUS to MEM is no longer avl!!! MAYBE there's a snowball's chance in hell that it will show again -- doubtful.

FUCK!!!! FUCK!!!! FUCK!!!! FUCK!!!! FUCK!!!! FUCK!!!! FUCK!!!!
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 11:27 am

AND THE COMPANION FARE IS MISSING TOOO!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna go cry now.
I was actually excited about it :-(
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 11:32 am

Well....it appiled a discount after all -- but now it will be $178 each as opposed to $85 -- cry. Still I guess better than $423......whaaaa!!

Standard Adult $238.00
Companion Discount applied $119.00
Total $357.00

Can someone please out up that cry baby image for me?
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 12:43 pm

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 1:54 pm

WAAAAAAH!!!
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 3:51 pm

just stay home!all the bands around today suck anyways!
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 4:23 pm

all the bands around today suck anyways!

Haaaa
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 4:33 pm

high fuel prices put brakes on indie band tours

it makes yahoo's above-the-fold news today
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 8:10 pm | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

"...just go the mexico/japan way and venue/local band supplies the gear."

Good idea. A backline definitely helps keep costs down. Make recordings,ACTUALLY SEND THEM OUT FOR REVIEW AND DISTRIBUTION,and if there's enough interest in your music the booker in whatever place will do what they can to accomodate. You may still have to eat some cost for airfare and carry-on guitars but its still better than having to rely on driving.

Another idea is being the "band" wherever it is you might live and get friends in other places to learn your songs and play in whatever other place you wish. I've always wanted to do this personally but i think the only band that's ever pulled it off was Live Fast Die as far as i can tell... fuckin' visionaries.
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 3:55 am

Gas prices thwart indie band tours
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 4:10 am

Theresa, will you be driving back to Nashville after Gonerfest?

Errr, I hate petrol?
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 10:19 am

Another idea is being the "band" wherever it is you might live and get friends in other places to learn your songs and play in whatever other place you wish. I've always wanted to do this personally but i think the only band that's ever pulled it off was Live Fast Die as far as i can tell... fuckin' visionaries.

Man or Astroman kinda did this with their clone bands..the gammas and the alphas. I saw the gammas(ladies).

3 bands, 3 different nights, 3 different cities!
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 11:35 am

Theresa, will you be driving back to Nashville after Gonerfest?

of course. my house is in nashville.
of course, i've been known to stay in memphis for weeks following gonerfest also ... however, i'm also very mom-like. if i drove people out, i'd feel responsible for their return to the nashville airport to make their plane.

dunno if there are other people in/near or along the path westward from nashville to memphis... are there?
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 12:48 pm

that's what KISS is going to do in the near future. They will also probably have a "band" stationed in Vegas for long engagements.
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 2:04 pm

Man or Astroman kinda did this with their clone bands..the gammas and the alphas. I saw the gammas(ladies).

I remember when the Alpha-Clone version of MOAM? played my town. They were booed off the stage. It wasn't that they were bad or that the venue promoted them as being the original group, it just seemed that a large group of people showed up just to boo the idea of an official tribute band showing up instead of the band.
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 10:41 am

I need the crying baby again.

Standard Adult $238.00
Companion Discount applied $119.00
Total $357.00

Standard Adult $238.00 x 2 = 476
COMPANION DISCOUNT no longer offered.
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:00 am

Snooze = lose.

=(
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 12:50 pm

that album was fun at least somebody were stealing circle jerks riffs and vanhalen riffs
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 12:54 pm

and i don't see you ripping off van fucking halen ! your white trash card has been taken back
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 1:20 pm

Greyhound sucks ass. If you want to add a few days on your vacation, then go Greyhound. Because you'll be sitting at assorted depots all day. At best, you'll wind up sitting next to some soulless Amish motherfucker who you could use their face for a frying pan. Worst case scenario, well...
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 1:38 pm

that's what KISS is going to do in the near future.

Is each band gonna have a drummer that can actually play drums hidden under the drum riser?
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 4:50 pm

seeing bands live is SOOOOOO overrated

just buy the records off ebay...don't ever play em though...oh noes...just create shrines to them and bask in the glory that is your gheyness
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 6:35 pm

a live show will never top the intensity of the sweet Jay Reatard 7"s appreciating in my safe deposit box
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 8:50 pm

Worst case scenario, well...

indeed
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 10:54 am

We just realized we can fit us and all of our gear into my 40mpg Tercel. I'm not sure why we didn't think of this before. We would be rich men right now.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 11:01 am

us and all of our gear into my 40mpg Tercel

say good-bye to your transmission
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 1:51 am

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 1:56 am

bigtimebbq.com/PigonBike3.jpg
farm1.static.flickr.com/160/421210778_e45bcb9...
www.goqtt.com/.../03/wide-load-motorcycle.jpg
peripatetic-one.com/PhotoGallery/albums/userp...
we're going to have to get third world about it
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 2:09 am

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 4:28 am

I agree with Dutchman.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 6:43 pm

say good-bye to your transmission

us and our gear is still under 800lbs passenger weight. no biggie. no worries. just have to be a little more concerned about theft 'cause we can't hide the drumset in the backseat.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 6:55 pm

is this why everybody is into duos now?

i say, triangulate or die
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 7:51 am

everybody is into duos now

that or doing 'solo' tours. a friend of mine fronts a metal band but does a drone solo project. he's splitting the rental of a hybrid with another soloist and they are doing an easy east coast tour with decent guarantees. makes more sense than touring while his band is between records.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®