Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / MusicfestNW or 90s revisted
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 5:30 pm

8 years later- so far long weekend in PDX-
Steel pole bathtub, Polvo, TransAm, Black elk, Supernova, Seaweed, Mogwai, Joggers.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 6:04 pm

Polvo!
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 4:08 pm

Murder City Devils are playing, along with Nightmarchers and Witchcraft
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 6:09 pm

Weekend of yawn..
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 6:21 pm

Just like every year, if there are two interesting bands playing this event they are sure to be scheduled to play at the exact same time across town from each other. Add in the fact that the wristbands are $50 unless you are some yuppie prick who never goes to clubs but your employer gave you a wristband so you go with your "lady friend" and talk during every act. This turdfest just gets better and better.

Yeah, I'm skipping this again.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 6:41 pm

same as noisepop in SF...buncha BS
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 6:49 pm

yeah, $50 for a three-night wristband ain't so hot. the most expensive show's gonna run like...$20, right? that's how much the Roky Erickson show was last year, I think.

I seriously doubt I'd make it out to more than three shows at absolute maximum, so that's what, a potential savings of $10?
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 6:57 pm

"TV on the Radio, Vampire Weekend, Mogwai, the Murder City Devils, Menomena, Deerhunter, Dan Deacon, M. Ward, Polvo, the Cool Kids, the Night Marchers, Mirah, Del the Funky Homosapien, Blitzen Trapper, Oxford Collapse, Old Time Relijun, Jedi Mind Tricks, School of Seven Bells, Monotonix, Matt & Kim, Port O'Brien, Old 97's, Centro-Matic, John Vanderslice, Poison Idea, Crooked Fingers, Bodies of Water, the Joggers, Throw Me the Statue, the Shaky Hands, These Arms Are Snakes, U.S.E., Starfucker, Calvin Johnson, the Muslims, Pwrfl Power, Fucked Up, Death Vessel, Witchcraft, Trans Am, Walter Meego, Totimoshi, the Helio Sequence, and more to come..."

zzzzzzzzzzz.....
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 7:58 pm

I've played the musicfest the last 2 years and pretty much avoided it completely besides the shows we played. My performer-wristband wasn't even VIP enough to get me into the after party.

we were supposedly confirmed to open for the Night Marchers this year, then they pulled it away from us, then they offered us the Old 97s show which they never got back to us about. Now we're not playing at all - which is fine with me.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 9:24 pm | Edited by: Seamus

a great weekend to get out of town and/or go camping or tripping on acid while all the Cloud People slum it up with these cutting edge bands.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 11:48 pm

And man, the Old 97s must be pretty washed up by now.

I hate to say it, but even the once-mighty Too Far To Care sounds like prettyboy AAA-rock now.

And that solo careet didn't quite pan out for ol' Rhett, did it? Lordy.
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 1:50 am

"TV on the Radio, Vampire Weekend, Mogwai, the Murder City Devils, Menomena, Deerhunter, Dan Deacon, M. Ward, Polvo, the Cool Kids, the Night Marchers, Mirah, Del the Funky Homosapien, Blitzen Trapper, Oxford Collapse, Old Time Relijun, Jedi Mind Tricks, School of Seven Bells, Monotonix, Matt & Kim, Port O'Brien, Old 97's, Centro-Matic, John Vanderslice, Poison Idea, Crooked Fingers, Bodies of Water, the Joggers, Throw Me the Statue, the Shaky Hands, These Arms Are Snakes, U.S.E., Starfucker, Calvin Johnson, the Muslims, Pwrfl Power, Fucked Up, Death Vessel, Witchcraft, Trans Am, Walter Meego, Totimoshi, the Helio Sequence, and more to come..."

Wow. Sounds really really crappy.
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 4:17 pm

50 bucks sux - with some boring indie rocking in there:

but still worth slumming it up with these cutting edge bands.

Seaweed/Steel pole Bathtub
Murder City Devils/Scared of Chaka
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 4:23 pm

My performer-wristband wasn't even VIP

yeah its 100 bucks and a beer- plus you got to sonic bid it.

Pete- you playing the Buffalo Killers show with us?
killer poster art on that.
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 6:17 pm

we're not playing Buffalo Killers show - we wanted to and we talked to Sam about it but we can't make it happen.
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 9:30 pm

we're playing this thng this year, hope not same time as steel pole..half my band is in seaweed so we're getting tagalong billing, i think our show is with pierced arrows tho
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 11:21 pm

Murder City Devils
always bored the piss out of me..
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 12:02 am

ugh...
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 12:29 am

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 11:02 am

Poison Idea FTW!
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 11:07 am

Poison Idea

Yeah, no one in Portland seems to care and the whole rest of the world never gets to see them. Portland has got to be the lamest city on the planet.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 11:17 am

Um, Pig Champion was a rather crucial element...not speaking for any Portlanders, just sayin.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 11:33 am

When they toured, they toured without him...
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 11:47 am

Exactly...and he still played Portland shows after he "quit"...soooo, if you lived there...
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Almost every show Poison Idea announces in Portland is canceled before the date. I think the last time they actually played here was the Pierced Arrows debut show, and that place was packed to the gills.
Because of the cancellations I think most Portlanders have a wait and see approach to PI gigs. That's why people outside of Portland might see us as not caring.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 2:31 pm

"Portland has got to be the lamest city on the planet."

You are correct sir. The Bad is completely burying The Good at this point (and there's actually a lot of great bands still here too... fucking shame that). Get me the fuck outta here!

But for the record,PxIx did play at the Circa-2008 "Satyricon" a short while back w/ Amphead's own Twig Champion Jim Taylor on guitar. Reports indicated that many heckles about getting gits and amps fixed ensued.
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 7:04 pm

at least for a while jerry replaced charlie w/ the baby puncher. that may be portland's most told punk rock legend.
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 1:59 am

Poison Idea

Pick your King was the best hardcore record ever....14 songs on a 7"? C'mon...I love the Feel the Darkness era too...but nothing can touch that shit.....
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 5:49 pm

On a potentially much sadder note i heard that Charley (proper spelling) had passed away recently due to alcohol related problems. I had heard this at the July 4th blowout but hadn't heard anything else about it since so i don't know if it's true. I also think they might've gotten him confused w/ Bear Paw Charley (same spelling) but i haven't seem him around lately so... maybe?
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 6:22 pm

it's really bad form to announce someone's death when you have apparently have no idea if its true or not. can someone please deny this!!!
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 6:34 pm

charlie is very much alive. joe, you're an idiot.
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 9:55 pm

I was drinking with him yesterday at the Vern....no flies or smells of death or nothin'....some great Monty Python impersonations tho....
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 11:27 pm

Charley regrets to announce his status as a living member of the human race.

Furthermore, he is starting a new band called...

Fuck You and the Mind Your Own Goddamned Business

You are forewarned.

In other news, Leon Trotsky has died of autoerotic asphyxsia..
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 12:49 pm

No need to call me an idiot. My intent was not to talk shit. I regret the error.
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm not kidding about the band name but he's probably going to change it.
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 2:08 pm

No need to call me an idiot.

well, until I got confirmation otherwise I spent about 10 minutes thinking Charley might be dead based on your post. I think that was idiotic and me calling you out was deserved, but in the greater scheme of things I do not think you're an idiot and some day we will laugh about this over beers and hits of pot.
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 2:18 pm

we just turned down musicfest and for some reason they are surprised we didn't want to play dante's at 8:30. Dave has offered up the Tonic for an anti-show, but I'm too busy and/or lazy to take a major role in putting that together. so if you want to then call Dave.
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Whew! I'm just glad he's still around! I hadn't seen him lately so i was worried,glad that's cleared up.

And he shouldn't change that band name.
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 9:28 pm

Charley regrets to announce his status as a living member of the human race.

Furthermore, he is starting a new band called...

Fuck You and the Mind Your Own Goddamned Business

You are forewarned.

In other news, Leon Trotsky has died of autoerotic asphyxsia..

Please tell Charley I said HI, and I am excited that he is alive.
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 9:34 pm

But for the record,PxIx did play at the Circa-2008 "Satyricon" a short while back w/ Amphead's own Twig Champion Jim Taylor on guitar. Reports indicated that many heckles about getting gits and amps fixed ensued.

I happen to be wearing an amphead shirt right now, AND drinking a vodka and sparks. Thats right. My mixer is Sparks. So?
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 11:52 am

think the last time they actually played here was the Pierced Arrows debut show, and that place was packed to the gills.

that show was great. and PI still had Chris Carey, who now plays in Burning Leather. He may be sober....
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 11:55 am

musicfest anti-show

yeah we may be doing a pre MFest show with Fireballs of freedom at EAST END.
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 4:13 pm

yeah, these kind of music fests suck unless you're into the headlining bands. otherwise, you get stuck paying twice as much at the door seeing smaller bands perform in packed rooms. blegh. or playing venues twice as big as they ought to be. scared of chaka at the roseland?! what the fuck?! i used to love seeing them back when they were together, but the roseland...? murder city devils just canceled that show. wonder who'll they'll get as the new headliner? any suggestions of other 90's bands they could dig up and re-animate? maybe ned's atomic dustbin? or the lemonheads? grab your shovels, the grave yard's full!
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 10:27 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Please tell Charley I said HI, and I am excited that he is alive.

+1. mebbe I'll make it down to the Vern again and have a brew or two with him.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:08 am

I <3 Charlie an all other Vern drunks. Is Tom still alive? and Frank? and his ol' lady?
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:09 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I need a Hannigan's headcount!
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:11 am

whatever happened to the beave?
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:34 am

Is Tom still alive? and Frank? and his ol' lady?

yes to all the above. tom got a new kidney and is testing it out regularly.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 11:39 am

may be portland's most told punk rock legend

good meeting yamhill- looking forward seeing to the Wires new lineup.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®