Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / DRANK - the anti-energy drink
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 8:19 pm

saw some posters for this in the local beer shop... but looked like it was sold out.

from consumerist blog:

There is a new beverage gaining popularity in the South, especially Houston, called Drank. Not content with following the herd of energy drinks, Drank is the antithesis of such products, claiming to be "the anti-energy drink" whose slogan is "slow your roll." This purple carbonated beverage is infused with melatonin, valerian root and rose hips which give it a sedating effect. Details, inside...

Drank anti-energy drink finds it's roots in "purple drank," a slang term for a concoction popularized in the South by the hip-hop community, according to Wikipedia. Purple drank typically includes promethazine-codeine cough syrup which produces a stoned sedation. Promethazine is an antihistamine while codeine is an opiate narcotic. The syrup is colored purple hence "Purple drank."

However, Drank's active ingredients are all legal, and can be found at health and vitamin shops. Drank's press release says, "From design to production, every aspect of this calming drink was inspired by today’s popular hip hop artists who embrace the much sought-after hip hop lifestyle that encourages people to capture a stress-free state of mind."

If there can be a Cocaine Energy Drink with no cocaine, we suppose there can be Drank with no powerful pharmaceuticals. However, given the active ingredients, we're guessing that Drank will do little more than make you sleepy. But if taking naps is what is considered hip-hop nowadays, we're sure that Drank will be a runaway success.
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 8:22 pm

Posted: Jun 15, 2008 8:34 pm

Goodbye, Ambien. Helloooo, Drank!
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 9:32 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

dammit!!!

file this in the "why didn't I think of that?" drawer.
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 11:51 pm

Just drink some wine and listen to My Morning Jacket....same effect....oh, then kill yourself....sleepytime...
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 11:55 pm

The real key is, do that have Jolly Rancher flavor already in it, or do you need to add one yourself?
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 12:11 am

Gonerfest Drank contest! Who can find the coziest part of the hi-tone and not get kicked out or drawn on? Sweet dreams!
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 9:01 am

woo-hoo, we're working on a sponser
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 9:26 am

totally. if not a litigator.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 12:29 pm

Got purp? If only this had come out sooner then Pimp C and DJ Screw may still be with us (they both ODed on sizzurp).
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 12:59 pm

purple draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Dranks-the anti-energy band!!!

Except for Bruce. He rocks like a God from Valhalla!!!
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 1:41 pm

Mix it with Black Lips' D-Tune for an over-the-counter sizzurp freakout!

from http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/49141-interview-black-li ps

Ian: We have different divisions. He (Jared) does the blog. I'm working on the liquids. We have a drink coming out.

Pitchfork: You do not. Do you really?

Jared: Yeah we have a drink.

Ian: D-Tune.

Joe: I can't wait to try it.

Cole: We're entrepreneurs, I didn't know if you knew that.

Pitchfork: Why did you have the idea for a drink? Where did it come from?

Ian: The drink came from my brother. He's a nuclear engineer which just means he's really smart, so he made it.

Pitchfork: Was it something you were already drinking?

Ian: He was asking me, "Ian, if there was a little something, something you would want on tour, what would it be?" And you know we have our share of excesses and I always said, "I like alcohol, but it makes you tired." The uppers-- we don't have to name names-- give you that energy, but it tweaks you out too much. So I basically want to combine something that would make me focus like an upper, but maybe feel like a downer. So he just made a drink and we call it D-Tune. Well the full name is D-Tune: Black Lips Magical Potion. It's almost done. It's been in the process for a year and a half now.

Pitchfork: When do you think it will be available?

Ian: I think it will be finished for us pretty soon, but as far as getting it legally on the market, we'll see. We'll probably do a little black market.

Pitchfork: Like at your shows? Under the merch table?

Ian: Well, I can't technically say.... But something like that.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 1:51 pm

Ha. I was just about to do the exact same thing in this post.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®