Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Simply Saucer
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 11:20 am

Who's all going to be at the Detroit show next week? I rarely care about reunion type shows but this one I do.

The new songs on their myspace sound pretty good too.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 11:27 am

i wish.

monstrous.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 11:37 am | Edited by: dale

They're playing Terrastock on KY that weekend too I believe. A little bit closer to ya (Damn space rock hippies abounds though). Shit. I hardly been to any shows cuz I live way out away from everything (and hardly anyone wants to play my town anymore). Next week though there's the Feeling Of Love on Tuesday and the Simply Saucer thing on Friday. Gas prices be damned!
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 2:40 pm

I'm going from new orleans to chicago next weekend to see them.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm not expecting much but still expecting more than any other reunion I've seen (though I am bummed I didn't get to see the Oblivians reunion but didn't doubt it ruled).
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 8:00 pm

I too am going to the Chicago show, except I'm coming from Missouri (not nearly as far); I've had Cyborgs Revisited since the very beginning of college (so, what, 12 years?!) and I never thought I'd get to see them play in my life- put it this way, compared to this, seeing The Stooges was not really that surprising...

I wanna check out those MySpace songs too, but I'm pretty sure I read that they're not actually new; they're old songs, but they only got recorded for the first time recently- anyway, I'm checking that out later!!

and that Oblivians reunion DID rule, Dale, if you're talking about the last Blackout- couldn't actually hear Quintron very well at all, though; I also saw them shortly after I turned 21 (in 1997) and that kicked fucking ass too- I will also never forget their opening band, Donkey, who have since become one of my very favorite bands ever (do you remember those guys, Mr. Eric O?)
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 8:06 pm

I saw the Oblivians 4 times when they actually existed so I'm cool with that.

Dunno if the Simply Saucer songs are new or not.
http://www.myspace.com/officialsimplysaucer
Some claim they are....some claim they're not. Where's Imants when we need him?
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 8:13 pm

I saw the Oblivians 4 times when they actually existed so I'm cool with that.

though if time, distance and money worked in my favor I'd go see them again.

The Oblivians, the Dirtys and Mose Vincent @ Southern Folklore....I'll never forget that.

Eric, are you the one that ended up with a copy of that?
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Why hasn't rigid posted in this thread. He's a goddamn FIEND for these guys.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Why hasn't rigid posted in this thread. He's a goddamn FIEND for these guys.

Cuz he'll be no where near Detroit next Friday?
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 1:45 am

I love 'em, but I just got too much going on lately, plus the oil companies are getting too much $$$ of mine as it is. I think when this was posted in the "Shows For Goners" forum, gas was still <$3.00/gallon. What a difference a couple of months make.
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 12:10 pm

I'll be in Detroit, and will most likely tag along for Chicago. Three of the songs on myspace are from the new album, "Half Human Half Live"(the fourth "Bullet Proof Nothing" is from Cyborgs...) The new album consists of recordings from last year - studio versions of songs written, but never recorded by the original band, along with a live-in-the-studio set. "Almost Ready Betty" dates from the later version of the band, "Exit Plexit" was the first song the original band ever learned, "Mole Machine" was never played live. Don't think of this as a reunion. It's a little confusing, but way more interesting. This band is (as always) fronted by Edgar Breau, and takes the Cyborgs era version as a model for performance. The set consists (mostly) of songs written in that era, which are open to evolution and improvisation, but aren't "jams" (ie. Velvet Underground) Edgar is playing electric guitar again (for the first time in maybe 25 years) Kevin from the original band is on bass. Joe Csontos (on drums) was/is a fan who played in other area bands back in the day. Then there's some young'uns on guitars - Steve brings some James Williamson style firepower, Dan plays in a spacier style, and doubles on theremin. It's a contemporary band in every sense of the word, playing songs most no one ever heard before anyway. And if you did hear them, you heard them by a band that wasn't this good.
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 12:22 pm

i guess i can miss the nachtmystium record release for this show...
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 9:11 am

Interview/article by Mike Hurtt in this week's Metro Times.
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 3:11 pm

nachtmystium
speak inlish!
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 3:03 am | Edited by: dale

Interview/article by Mike Hurtt in this week's Metro Times.

Dan Kroha's new band the Readies are pretty rockin'!

http://www.myspace.com/thereadiesdetroit

Missed the Feeling Of Love show due some local bullshit and gas prices the other night but unless my car blows up or some shit I don't see any reason why I won't be at this show....now if only I can find some weed before then...
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 4:27 am

It was a hundred kinds of awesome!!!!

I must sleep now.
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 10:55 am

It was a hundred kinds of awesome!!!!

It sure was.

When I asked Edgar (who'd never before been in Detroit) what he thought of Detroit, The Bohemian, Michigan Ave and such, responded, "It's Saucer City!"
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 12:12 pm

And that hippie dude with the massive amounts of communial crazy hybrid grass ruled.

It was my first time at that place. It was such a perfect venue for such a show. I was joking with Jeff Meijer and Dan Kroha that it was class reunion of sorts. Seeing a lot of people from through the years all at the same place (then again-I don't make it out much) and they agreed.

The Readies-Danny mashing T. Rex with biker rock and soul music, Exit Eyes being 3/5's of Rocket 455, Human Eye hitting Helios Creed levels of scree and filth...then Simply Saucer wringing out my mind and have a bunch of people do a zombie shimmy. Folks like Kroha, Johnny Hentch and I saying to each other "This is something we never expected to ever see and it's amazing."

If I knew who the Driver was in real life I probably would've said Hi (If I didn't anyways) but I talked to tons of folks I hadn't seen in a long time.

I only had a couple of beers but I am still recouperating from just the stellar thing of the whole evening.

No "Cyborgs Revisted" but ya can't have everything. Didn't matter. We got to see Simply Saucer none the less.
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 12:26 pm

They didn't play one fucking song from Cyborgs Revisited!?!?!?!?!?! Not even instant pleasure?
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 12:34 pm

No, they played tunes from it but when the crowd was singing "Here Comes The Cyborgs" after the encore in hopes they'd do that particular tune as a second encore didn't happen. Yeah, that what I was trying to say. Sorry, I'm still waking up.
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 4:05 pm

yeah, shame they didn't get to play one more, but I guess having the plug pulled at the end of the night is inevitable with four bands. I'm a little foggy today myself, but it was all worth it, including the end of the night half hour wait in the rain for our cab (which actually did show up, just like he said he would) The audience was fabulous; at one point during Saucer's set I looked around the room and it seemed as if every band in town was represented by at least one nodding head.

Dale - sorry if I didn't get to say hi. I got cornered by plenty of folks who wanted to yap before I even got in the joint, while I wanted to hang with my girlfriend and dig the show. I also punched the clock at the merch table where I got to sit and enjoy (and share) a bottle of Jim Beam (me, in the black Saturn Bar T) Really wish I had the time and cash to make it to the Chicago show tonight.
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 6:52 pm | Edited by: dale

Something of legends...something of sonic beauty. Something of decay in an area where it all made sense!

The rain was interesting though cuz it was the cleanest rain I had smelled for quite awhile (bar up north of course). Rain in Port Huron smells like asphalt. That neighborhood rain smelled nice.

Sorry if I didn't get to say hi. I got cornered by plenty of folks who wanted to yap before I even got in the joint

Same here. People that I thought wanted to fight me even gave me at least handshakes. Back pats and hugs galore the whole evening. Got invited to a couple places afterwards but with the fucked up highway, the time of night and the hour and half hour drive home we just jetted back to where Lake Huron starts.
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 2:50 pm

The show in Chicago was complete crap. They hardly played anything off of "Cyborgs Revisited". Mostly, just bland bluesy bar rock. Can't believe they would go on tour for this nonsense.
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 12:09 am

uh, Frankie, I was there last night too and they played close to half of Cyborgs Revisited dude! Let's see... "Nazi Apocalypse", "Mole Machine", "Bulletproof Nothing" and "Dance the Mutation"- that's just about half the record right there. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I didn't think that was "bluesy bar rock" at all and I very much enjoyed them. The only song I didn't particularly like was "I Can Change My Mind", but I had never heard that before last night anyway...

and Edgar Breau is a really cool dude, actually; I talked to him for a minute after the show
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 12:21 am

The only song I didn't particularly like was "I Can Change My Mind", but I had never heard that before last night anyway...

i hate songs i have never heard, that's why i like the eagles
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 12:22 am

I should mention that I have the OLD version of Cyborgs Revisited, not the new one. The old one has nine songs, of which they played four last night; which is why I said half. Honestly, I don't know what you message-board people expect out of bands- especially old ones... Too much, maybe.
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 12:33 am

sweet do you have the old interview that was in black to comm? i think it was with glenn frey
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 12:39 am

what are you, Bruce, a comedian now?
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 12:54 am

yeah, but i don't start the "blue" act until the kids have gone to bed
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 2:25 am

I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one. The sucked. No instant pleasure. I was the dude shouting for it multiple times at the end.
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 9:22 am

Instant pleasure isn't half the song nazi apocalyse is anyway. I thought the show in chicago was great...although I did leave about halfway through their set.
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 12:15 pm

yeah, exactly Sarah ; "Instant Pleasure" is great and the first song of theirs I ever heard seeing as it starts off Cyborgs Revisited, but "Nazi Apocalypse" is my very favorite Simply Saucer song- they played it, so I was happy and that was it

I would have liked to hear "Here Come the Cyborgs", though, as I always wondered what was missing in the middle of it on the CD; no biggie, though
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 1:30 pm

I think "Bullet Proof Nothing" is my favorite, but there isn't a track anywhere near below snuff on the original 9 songer, and I'm such a SS dork that I still actively listen to the 180 minutes worth of outtakes & live shit Imants taped for me years back...including Kinks covers and whatever. Plus, I think the much-maligned single rules.
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 2:17 pm

180 minutes worth of outtakes & live shit Imants taped for me years back...including Kinks covers and whatever

How would one go about procuring this?
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 2:29 pm

"Dance The Mutation" from the Detroit show was one of those "most awesome moments of rock" for me ever and I've had a lot of those through the years.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®