Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Maui, Any tips?
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 11:29 pm

I'm going to Hawaii next week, anyone have any can't miss sights/snacks/awesome secret beaches that they want to share?
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 11:31 pm

don't get dengue fever!

Have fun!
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 6:35 am

wowie
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 8:56 am

speed!
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 10:17 am

I got a tip for ya - take me with you!!! I miss you.
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 10:19 am

Oh, and since you're an early bird anyway... definitely get yourself up to the Haleakala Crater to watch the sunrise. But bring a coat - it's cold up there!
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 10:37 am

Haleakala crater - as noted, you have to leave very early as it is a long trip. and it is very very cold at the top. But it's worth it. Like nothing you would ever see anywhere else.

If you like Sushi - go to Sansei restaurant - there are a couple of them on the island. They have a very nice discount for early diners each night - I think if you've ordered before 6 pm. Call them and find out about it. Great great restaurant and the discount is really pretty substantial.

Go to Paia. It's a neat little funky town that has an odd revolving cast of shops - I've bought records and even almost bought a guitar there before. Has some great restaurants too. A cafe that used to be called "Picnics" but is now something to do with "bulls" or something like that is pretty good. I still think locals know it as "picnics", so if you ask -they'll know what you mean.

Go to Hookipa beach. It's just up the road from Paia and is a neat, less croweded beach with great surfing and windsurfing.

Shaka brah!
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 10:48 am

I lived on the Big Island for 4 years....but know very little about Maui...7 pools, or something...have fun!

Oh and, order the Ono, a tasty fish, tuna poke, malasadas (Portuguese beignet/doughnut things). Primo beer!! I miss Hawaii...
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 11:16 am

I haven't been to Maui in 20 years, but Paia/Hookipa Beach has long been famous as a windsurfing mecca. Really cute little town and beautiful beach (my best friend from high school moved to Paia many years ago), but might be too windy and rough for swimming/sunbathing for Laurel-the-sun-worshipper! Definitely worth seeing, though. You'll love it.
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 11:45 am

The Slack Key Guitar Festival takes place at the Maui Cultural Center on Sunday June 22 and IT'S FREE!!!!

See U there
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 12:01 pm

also, there's a big flea market Sat a.m. in Kahului
produce as well as stuff
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Eat fresh fish. I know you're from SF, but...

Sushi is delicious.

Upcountry is very cool but mainly because it's big ranches & not beaches. You can get that in CA.

Haleakala is spectacular.

Maui Wowee exists!

Slack Key Guitar Festival
sounds great... hopefully it's locals hanging out talking about Raymond Kane and Gabby, not Swedish guitar-o's showing off their uptight slack key.

Seven Sacred Pools!
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 1:51 pm

In Maui, avoid Lahaina like the plague. It makes Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 look tasteful.

Walk along the beaches around Kanaapali. It's mostly developed with condos and hotels, but we kept walking and found some hidden spots with no one there. We even found this secret forest with a hobo encampment in the middle where there were real-live Hawaiian hobos cooking up their grub over a bonfire.

Drink POG.

If you're going to Honolulu, all I have to say is: Eat Leonard's Malasadas until you pass out.
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 2:18 am

aloha, trip was great. loved paia town, (spied alice cooper on the street) saw all the go go's when we were getting burgers in hana town! wanted to yell out VACATION!!!!! but refrained.
plate lunch, maui wowee, red beaches, black sand beaches, makena, 7 pools, abc stores loved it all!!!!!
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 12:08 pm

all the go go's when we were getting burgers in hana

FUCK! I missed Gina?!?!
i saw NO celebs, except Dennis Kamakahi
and Humuhumukununukuapua'a
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 3:53 pm

she looked super awesomely dyke-y!
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Humuhumukununukuapua'a

awwww...I miss those pretty little fuckers...with the kissy-kissy lips!
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 11:50 am

dyke-y!

not true. I have personal knowledge of this, xcpt from years ago.
OK, is Kathy V. divorced yet?
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 12:44 pm

I DIDN'T see a ring on KV, but she was in beach-ware and i didn't get too close to her. cute pig tails though!
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 6:47 pm

She lives in Texass, damnit.

I'll never sink to Belinda, she's a Republican! Plus, everybody's seen her goodies in Playboy. AND she was married to a jock!
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 11:48 pm

belinda looked the best, but she had lots of plastic surgery on her face....so that was kind of wierd...i can't help it, she's my favorite!
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 2:36 pm

In Maui, avoid Lahaina like the plague. It makes Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 look tasteful.

Agreed. That said, http://www.warrenandannabelles.com/ is alot of fun. The website makes it look alot gayer than it is.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®