Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / self releasing a record or two...
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 7:48 pm

i've been wanting to do this lately and i don't know if i'm getting in over my head. i know a few of you have done this, so its not rocket science is it?
i need some pointers...
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 7:56 pm

yup, pretty easy actually.
http://www.urpressing.com/
the above link for mastering and pressing.
here's some good info about preparing your recording for vinyl
http://www.urpressing.com/master.php
for plastic sleeves and mailers:
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=25
get the picture sleeves done at a local print shop or xerox them
post information about new and upcoming releases on some message boards, and send some out for review/radio play if you desire.

that should get ya started in the right direction.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 8:22 pm

also, you'll want to wait approx. one year after receiving payment to ship people's orders
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Just don't get it stampers made at United cuz yr paying way too much if you do. They do have the best price for the actual pressing of the records themselves though.

Get you sleeves done through Ad Nauseum (contact Todd @ Victim Of Time for their rates).
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:04 pm

whats a stamper?
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:34 pm

also, you'll want to wait approx. one year after receiving payment to ship people's orders
most of that year was waiting for the records to get here. i sent an order for my newest lathe cut back in the beginning of march and havent heard anything yet. the mistake i made was taking preorders, the website said and still says "Turnaround: Approximately 7-20 days (depending on quantity and workload)"
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:40 pm | Edited by: dale

whats a stamper?

The metal plates the press the record with.

Go to Aardvark mastering.

I have an email breakdown I sent to a friend who is planning on putting out his own record. It's got the email/websites and all that info.

Drop me a line and I'll see if I can find in and send it yr way.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:43 pm

whats a stamper?

just flush your money down the toilet, and post the songs on myspace
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:59 pm

dale, check your mail

just flush your money down the toilet, and post the songs on myspace

universe, you've done it again!
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 10:36 pm | Edited by: dale

Now I just gotta figure where in my computer the thing is.

DCR-weren't you on a record already? Red Rockets? A Touch Me Nots split, right? Or am I thinking someone else.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 10:42 pm

yeah, that was us. hugh jass did all the work for that one though
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 11:17 pm

He could point ya in the right direction too I'm sure.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 11:18 pm

don't forget to clear out a little space in your attic for 1500 terminally unsold 7"s to sit for fucking ever
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 11:21 pm

i've actually only got about 20 of those red rockets/touch my nuts splits left.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 10:03 am

Aardvark mastering.

don't do this these guys take way to long and if this is a first release for you then just do everything through united till you get the hang of things much easier cause the few bucks you save out sourcing mastering etc is not worth the headache ...
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 10:09 am

Except for one record it's always been a two week turnover for me. I've had more headaches dealing with United than anyone else in chain.

I'm thinking from now on though I'll just be using Archer in Detroit. You can even watch the masters being cut and so on there if yr so inclined.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 10:36 am

DCR, andy used Musicol for that split.
http://www.musicolrecording.com/
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Just recently did my first 7".

I was very pleased with the job these guys did on our sleeve. They were very helpful to someone like me with no graphics or printing experience.

Also had no complaints with Prairie Cat, who did the masters.

Transaction with United was smooth. Everything came off without a hitch, really.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 12:50 pm

Mark at prairie cat is great and cheap as hell . Man if it is a self released single I would hand make or xerox the covers unless you are making a ton.. I'm kinda bummed how even the shittiest lo-fi budget bands have full color sleeves with their ugly fucking mugs printed on them these days
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 2:46 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

DCR, andy used Musicol for that split.
Yes, I did. I don't know if I'd use them again, though. At least not for the mastering. I really like the way Tardon at Mr. Toad mastered our LP. He can really polish a turd. I'm also really happy with the job Pirates Press (middleman for that presser in Czech Rep.) did with the actual pressing.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 3:15 pm

I don't know if I'd use them again, though.

Yeah, I doubt we will either. Only advantage for us is it's local and we can walk in and hassle them in person.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 3:48 pm

hand make or xerox the covers unless you are making a ton..
thats what i'm planning. i don't think i want to do more than 200. i'm a wiz at microsoft paint too.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 4:25 pm

Aardvark mastering.

don't do this these guys take way to long and if this is a first release for you then just do everything through united till you get the hang of things much easier cause the few bucks you save out sourcing mastering etc is not worth the headache ...

i beg to differ. it is united that is inconsistent. they can be either fast or drag their fucking feet until eternity.

as you can see, aardvark is pretty quick.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Posted: Jun 12, 2008, 4:25 pm    Quote
Aardvark mastering.

i beg to differ. it is united that is inconsistent. they can be either fast or drag their fucking feet until eternity.

as you can see, aardvark is pretty quick.

Yes. At this point, United is pissing me off rather bigtime.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 10:56 pm | Edited by: arman

here's what we did for a one sided 12":
recorded it ourselves, but was mixed by a dude that works at soma(tortoise's studio, so not expensive, but not cheap). mastered by carl saff (def. cheap and GOOD, and he works fast). pressed at archer pressing in detroit (slow, but it's ready). we are doing the cover art ourselves with tandy leather stamp for the cover and the label with screen or linoleum stamp (we JUST got a 4 color screen press for free, so we'll use that in future), insert will have all the details.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 10:59 pm

a night of broken ass?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®