Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Are these davison guitars really shitty?
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 11:10 am

Anybody know? I just want this one sort of....mainly for the color!

vintage orange flying v
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 8:14 pm | Edited by: Jay

it's fine. just swap out the pick ups, the bridge, the tuners, the neck, the electronics, and the body.

just kidding. i'm always tempted to buy these cheap ass guitars though. i almost bought a Jay Turser jag/jazzmaster ripoff a while ago for about the same price as that Davidson, but then fell into some money and bought an actual Jaguar instead. if i had a bunch of money though, i'd buy these things all the time and frankenstein the crap out of them.

a lot of times those cheap companies are good for finding left handed guitars too.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 7:25 am

a lot of times those cheap companies are good for finding left handed guitars too.

I'm close to getting rid of my Mex Tele and getting one of these
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1820.html
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 10:30 am

Hey, Golightly, that's a weird hybrid, innit? I managed to convince Eastwood to start doing a lefty versh of their Gretsch Country Gentleman knock-off, the Classic 6, which retails for $399. Mike at Eastwood sez they should be in stock this summer, whoo! Well, it beats $2k+ fer a lefty Gretsch...
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 11:41 am

Man...I may look into that....the Rondo won't be in stock until the fall...
Us lefties have slim pickings
Thanks!
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 12:25 pm

I would say the worst parts of these cheapo guitars are probably the nuts and fretwork. if you can get someone to get rid of any high frets or sharp edges and have a new Tusq nut or something like that installed, you'll have something decent.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 1:54 pm

Man...I may look into that....the Rondo won't be in stock until the fall...
Us lefties have slim pickings

I'm also a southpaw. I've had really good luck with my Jay Turser 335 knockoff ($200) and with my SX strat knockoff ($99). I've done quite a few "upgrades" on both, but they both played great and seemed structurally sound in their stock form. The dude that fixes my guitars said the biggest issue with the cheapo guitars is the quality control. Because of that, sometimes a model can be as good (or better) as the name brand stuff, but sometimes the same model can be terrible. They just don't inspect very thoroughly at the cheapo factories. I suppose it would be best to buy one of these at a store so you can try it first, but it seems they're often only available online.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Good to Know about the SX...I got a Dillon copy of the Gibson J-160E and replace the nut and the saddle with bone and it is WAY better than the real one I used to have.

I just confirmed with Eastwood that they will have lefty GretschCountry Gent knock offs in 3 weeks!
Hell yea
http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/classic6/images/classic6-big/3240c lassic6walnutFINAL.jpg
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 2:13 pm

I just confirmed with Eastwood that they will have lefty GretschCountry Gent knock offs in 3 weeks!
I want that! I wonder how much it will really cost, though. Shandy's saying $399, but the site lists $479 for the current right-handed version.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 2:18 pm

Shandy's saying $399

that's probably some weird limey version of real money
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 2:54 pm

They will be all over ebay when they are available...399 sounds about right
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 2:55 pm

slap a bigsby on that baby and it's George Harrison city
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 3:09 pm

What about them Squier '51's? anyone know if them is shitty or....
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 3:20 pm

I just "modded" a Squier '51 with new pickguard and pickups. I'm not wild about the neck, but then again I probably haven't spent enough time tweaking it. A new nut is probably the next thing I'll install. Unfortunately they don't make 'em anymore, and unmolested ones are running $150-$200 on ebay due to the modding craze.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 3:43 pm

slap a bigsby on that baby and it's George Harrison city
Where the heck do you find a lefty bigsby? I thought about putting one on my 335 knockoff, but gave up after the only one I found was like $250.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 3:59 pm

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 4:38 pm

that's probably some weird limey version of real money

F-f-f-folding Money! Yeah, I wuz guessin'...

Well, dunno if I can even afford to get a lefty Classic 6 now, and not much point, cos I heard secondhand that I'm no longer playing in the UK Cheaterslicks band! The other guitarist never really wanted me in it, anyway, but was just too chikunshite to say... they didn't swing, anyway, far too bloody fast even for rockabilly! Don't think I can really justify the money, seeing as our house still needs loadsa work and I've already got, like, five guitars and as many amps!

Mebbe good old Mike at Eastwood will take pity and give me a good discount fer suggesting it... reason I did was that, yeah, as us leftys know all too well, it's Major King Kong (aka Slim Pickens) for southpaws wid little moolah...
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 5:37 pm

I have a white lefty davison v that I love. needs tuners and a light fret job but it sounds incredible. fit and finish has no real issues either.

I will also say that eastwood is making some kick ass lefties too... they NEED to remake a phantom bass in white. lefty of course!!!
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 5:51 pm

holy shit, I just saw those Ampeg AUB bass clones on the Eastwood site. awesome. I've only seen the originals in books, always wanted one!
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 6:08 pm | Edited by: bay area slasher

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Phantom gtrs make a incredible Brian Jones tear drop lefty...but they want tooo much money for it.I'm gonna catch one on ebay ome day.
http://www.phantomguitars.com/
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 11:22 pm

Jay Turser were making teardrop guitars a few years back too.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 5:24 pm

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered it.

So you like yours bay are slasher? How's the overall feel of the guitar? I don't know about most knock-off guitars, but I played a jay turser tele the other day and it felt so light weight and cheap, especially the neck.

It did sound good though.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 5:51 pm

its pretty light and balanced ok. I haven't had the dough to play a real lefty v so I don't have much to cmpare it to. neck is a tad thick but still easy to play. frets could use some dressing and a little work but overall its not bad. tuners should be changed like any other cheapy. electronics are quieter than I thought they'd be and the pick ups are pretty brutal sounding. big fat open humbucker sound for sure!! if they sell a case I would get one... not sure if a real v case would fit or any other for that matter...

in a nutshell it was worth the 150 I spent... don't compare it to a real v and you won't be dissapointed!
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 6:03 pm

don't compare it to a real v and you won't be dissapointed
probably the best advice. i love cheapo guitars, and i always expect them to sound way different than what they copy. and i've been surprised by some of them
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 6:05 pm

Cool. Thats about what I was hoping to hear. My expectations aren't too high, just something to mess around with. Thanks man!
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 11:21 am

My expectations aren't too high, just something to mess around with.

that's pretty much the way to go. assuming you get a good one (where the frets aren't ripping your hands apart) if you change out the pick ups, you'll probably be set with a good guitar. i really like that orange.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 7:13 pm

angus you should wear all orange when you debut it at a show
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 3:19 pm

I am a lefty too I bought a Davison Vintage White Gold trim I am getting a hum at loud volumes no boxes any one else with this problem? I plan on changing the pickups to a set of Entwistle pickups made in England overwound staggered winding vintage coating in windings and special earth magnets to give the guitar biting highs, smooth mids, and deep bass I plan to change the nut to a bone and if you have any solutions email me
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 3:21 pm

contined from above it is a Les Paul Style and my email is wgspencer7979@att.net
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®