Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / what is the coolest and cheapest place to relocate?
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 3:52 am

you know
cheap rents, decent library
bookstores
sights to see
homely chicks to
fuck
cool dark joints to drink in.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 4:15 am

Sounds like you are talking about Columbus, but I should point out that OH has state income tax & TN does not.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 4:30 am

OH has state income tax & TN does not

Unreal.

Greatest. State. Ever.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 6:26 am

stroudsburg PA (east?)

spelling is wrong; at PA/nj border where 80 slides through:

cheap
college town
jazzbo community
Delaware river in yr front yard
Poconos in backyard
non gun toters
lots of diners
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 7:14 am

chicago
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 8:32 am

harrisburg! i been waitin for you, tet!
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 8:35 am

there are several states without state income tax, but tennessee by far is the best of them for living... partially why i am here
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 8:51 am

TK - I knew you'd been here a while, but have you relocated?
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 10:23 am

chicago

He said "cheap." Milwaukee and Columbus both fit the bill, if you're looking at the midwest.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 10:27 am

harrisburg!
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 10:53 am

for Tet, a Columbus institution:

The rapping bum, Don Robinson. Somebody just posted this video on the local message board. He's been around since I was a kid, not sure how long in all.

"looking for work, got my feelings hurt... help is on the way!" I know how he feels, but Columbus still rules.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 11:09 am

TK - I knew you'd been here a while, but have you relocated?

sort of

i plan on spending at least 51% of my time in TN for tax reasons, but other than that, i like it here. still have the house in California, which is killing me tax-wise, but hopefully by this time next year, the savings i get from not paying CA state income tax will simply just go to my CA property tax
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 11:09 am

head to the big city libraries/bookstores on the weekend...
You need some acreage. Green, green grass of home.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 11:39 am

cool dark joints to drink in.
Well, if you're looking for cool and dark, you might want to try wintering in Alaska. And according to this site there is no income tax or sales tax.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 11:43 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I paid six bones for a pint of beer in Juneau. Ouch!

Chick-to-dude ratio's pretty wack too!
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 11:44 am

Columbus still rules

Funny, I always found it a lot like hell.

Maybe things have changed?
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 11:49 am

Columbus still rules

Funny, I always found it a lot like hell.

Maybe things have changed?

This guy must be from Michigan. Go Bucks!
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 11:59 am

I'll say Bangkok.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 12:11 pm

if you hate good bands, good bars, fun people, cheap rent, cheap food, and fairly mild weather, I could see how Columbus would be hell. Or, you let yourself get sucked into the alternate universe of frat boys, cornhole, campus housing, football riots, suburban strip mall sprawl, and keggers. You can only blame yourself.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 12:23 pm

go lula!

not to mention there is a beautiful victorian cemetery (thank you shenanigan for showing me that) and a spectacular rose garden (even tho i got a bee sting, i found that place gorgeous)

its hard to find a bad library in a university town, too. well, i guess i could be wrong... memphis has its fair share of decent colleges BUT municipal libraries are hit n miss (can o worms?)
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 12:31 pm

ESCAPE TO WISCONSIN
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 12:45 pm

there is a beautiful victorian cemetery (thank you shenanigan for showing me that) and a spectacular rose garden (even tho i got a bee sting, i found that place gorgeous)

Not to mention, Shenanigan's own back yard!

My whole family (two aunts, two sisters, and a niece) in NC is getting ready to up and move to El Paso... Not sure what I think about that, other than it has to be better than eastern NC. Anyone have any thoughts on El Paso? Maybe I should just start a thread about El Paso.

P.S. Wisconsin Rules.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 12:46 pm

Michoacan is cheap, beautiful, tasty food, nice weather, roving drug gangs that decapitate their foes, both real and imagined.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 1:15 pm

Yeah, I work a block from our main library and it's the best I've been to, but I can't say I've done a lot of exploring of the nation's libraries... But I've found ridiculous things like 80s synthesizer repair books there that I would have never thought I would ever find at a library.

Plus the cornhole tournaments are INTENSE! And I've seen some great liquor bottle collections filled with highliter fluid that people are just giving away!

PS. Milwaukee rules
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 2:52 pm

Buffalo, NY.

Aside from being in NY state and close to Love Canal, it rules. You can probably still buy a huge 4-5 bedroom houses for around $100-175K in the historic district. People are super friendly and drink like fish, you can buy a decent slice everywhere, and Allen Street is one of the great bar districts.

i plan on spending at least 51% of my time in TN for tax reasons

I'm on the same tax relief program. Smart move.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 3:13 pm

PS. Milwaukee rules

It does. Besides, you've got water close, Minneapolis is close, & Chicago is close.

If you are in a band, you could play Ohio 6 or 7 times if you had to.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 3:24 pm

PS. Milwaukee rules

i guess you all love beer, so milwaukee would indeed rule.

and don't forget taking the ferry across lake michigan to actual michigan

muskegon yo!
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 4:03 pm

from Michigan

Detroit.
Like Cleveland to Ohio, Detroiters are very particular about being from there, not Michigan.

Best thing I can say about Columbus is that there's very good gutter cleaning services there.
Oh -- and Vincenzo's

But based on Goner board recommendations, next visit to C'bus I shall present an open mind
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 4:05 pm

nevertheless i would never recommend Detroit as a "cool and cheap place to relocate to", despite the fact that right now you can buy a solid house in an OK neighborhood there for $25K
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 4:10 pm

i guess you all love beer, so milwaukee would indeed rule.

Via Dusty Meds wisdom, there's a lot more to Milwaukee than beer.

don't forget taking the ferry across lake michigan to actual michigan

Tom Potter told us last week that the price of the ferry trip has wildly increased in recent months & it's significantly more if you're taking a car. Besides, he said it cost him $100 in gas to go roundtrip to Detroit now.

next visit to C'bus I shall present an open mind

Save it. Your distaste is charming.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 4:16 pm

I'll say Bangkok.

haha that's your answer for everything.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 4:24 pm

That WI to MI ferry has never been cheap.

$100 in gas to go roundtrip to Detroit now

One side of state to the other. Sounds about right. I gotta do some long distance driving this weekend. The gas prices are gonna kill us but at least I'll be miles away from this town for a bit.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 4:35 pm

Vincenzo's

the italian place in Dublin (suburban sprawl at its worst)?? Man, I hate Dublin.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 4:46 pm

from Michigan

Detroit.
Like Cleveland to Ohio, Detroiters are very particular about being from there, not Michigan.

Best thing I can say about Columbus is that there's very good gutter cleaning services there.
Oh -- and Vincenzo's

But based on Goner board recommendations, next visit to C'bus I shall present an open mind

Columbus should be largely abolished, outside of Johnny's Bar and the Cheater Slicks.

I did my time at OSU, couldn't take it and got the fuck out.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 4:15 am

Texas has no state income tax.....
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 4:24 am

No income tax in WA, either, but fuckin A! You can't get any cheep pussy for hire unless you go to Bangkok.
\
Oh, and age of consent in WA is 16. Prime!!!!!
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 4:28 am

I hooked up with a zitfaced young gal in a leather jacket the other day. Life is good.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 4:29 am

I'm not afraid of her Gypsy Joker father, not one bit. I got weapons, bitch.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 4:43 am

Man, I was going over my weapon collection. 308 rifle, 22 handgun, 9mm semi auto, ....

fuckin A! I'm so pissed at the Portland Police for swiping my Italian switchblade.. That fuckin cunt
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 4:48 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Dude, my switchblade was my most effective weapon...scared the piss outtta most any motherfucker.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 4:55 am

I'll still kill any comer, though. So don't fuck with me, bitch.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 5:06 am

Have you ever had a cunt in a uniform take yer shit?

Fuck you!
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 5:06 am

That WI to MI ferry has never been cheap.

T.'s got it, what with her TN tax break & all.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 5:08 am

I gotta .22 semi auto now loaded..... life is good.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 5:13 am

Man, I love Elvis Costello, but dude, when he lends credence to the Sex Pistols and the Clash, I gotta wonder.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 12:33 pm

homely chicks to
fuck

columbus and milwaukee DEFINITELY have 'homely' covered. memphis a not so distant 3rd.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 12:48 pm

I gotta do some long distance driving this weekend. The gas prices are gonna kill us but at least I'll be miles away from this town for a bit.

FUCK! Change of plans. Stupid town. Off to the beach sometime today none the less.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 5:18 pm

memphis has its fair share of decent colleges BUT municipal libraries are hit n miss (can o worms?)
TK, you should go to the McWherter library on campus. Something's telling me you don't have to be a student - maybe you have to buy a card or something (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I've spent most of my time in the bound periodicals section, which is awesome. The microfiche department's pretty darn cool too.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 6:19 pm

i like the olde time romance of a ferry boat... although i regularly got sick as a dog on the ferry from liverpool to dublin. holyhead to dun laoghaire wasn't a joy ride either. dover to dieppe was OK... i guess the english channel is calmer than the irish sea.

when i visited potter in muskegon during the winter time, it sounded like fun to take the ferry to milwaukee. for the adventure - i had no idea it was so costly!

i remember only 3 years ago that it cost me $100 in gas to drive from cleveland to NYC... now i miss those days of "cheap gas."
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 7:51 pm

i like the olde time romance of a ferry boat...

harrisburg's got some boats!
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-GdoFZvE7bqJAWCwSabiXxxcAhA--?cq=1&p=411
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 4:25 am

uckin A! I'm so pissed at the Portland Police for swiping my Italian switchblade.. That fuckin cunt

That's some bullshit, man.

I carry a switchblade every day, and you can buy 'em (Benchmade... made in OR) at Andy & Bax all day long.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 10:53 am | Edited by: jenna

i relocated here and it is cheap and cool:

pretty 1
pretty 2
pretty 3

ah, plants..... i forgot you still grew on this asphalt earth.

lord knows i put in my dues in NYC: alphabet city to bushwick. bodega to basement, factory to (finally) apartment.

and my heart goes tick tock tick.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 4:09 pm

memphis would be fanfuckingtastic if i could find a reasonable job. it's super cheap to live here, but the lack of public transportation is shittay. so a car is pretty much a must unless you find a job close to home and that home happens to be in midtown (cuz that's where all the decent bars and shows are at.)

the library at the university of memphis isn't bad at all (mcwherter as miss faye said before). it's not as good as a lot of other major universities with a lot of funding for shit like that. the state cut back massively on public ed, so the library is getting hit pretty bad with cut backs on the availability of online databases, which is pretty fucked up for people like me who are majoring in history. (no access to a lot of documents unless i wanna DRIVE far. you can get any book you want pretty much through interlibrary loan. but i need documents. ugh.)

there's lots of stuff to explore and pretty damn cheap beer and you can drink at pretty much any hour if you know where to look. the laws are pretty damn good around here for that too. you can walk around with a bottle as long as you have the label covered up with a brown bag (or any other kinda bag for that matter. just don't make a fool of yourself and you're aces. the cops got better things to worry about than some drunk folks most of the time.)

the weather gets pretty damn hot here, but nothin puttin two windows down on the car and goin' 50 can't fix. havin a window unit for sleepin is pretty much a must. it don't get that cold for that long, so even though mlgw costs a lot of money for the few winter months, you can get a space heater and heat a small apartment and not have to worry that much about gas for anything beyond heating water and cooking unless you buy a house. then you got problems.

lots of trees. lots of plants. it's gorgeous in midtown.

food is spectacular and pretty cheap if you look in the right places. just hosted some friends from seattle this past weekend and they couldn't believe how cheap the food was around here.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 4:31 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

holy berlin wall jenna - that's your place? one could never get that kinda place in NYC for anything remotely cheap. congrats!

i got my fair share of greenery here in nashvegasburg, TN... so much so that i need a goat on the lawn... not a drummer in a chair!- although if you're looking for a drummer in a chair, this one is among the best.... here's the front porch in autumn

from my garden in expensive santa barbara county, ca
and out my front window at said CA house
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 7:18 pm

Memphis is great, but there's lots of pros and cons. +Awesome cheap food, -Theft and burglaries galore, +great bands, -Jump Back Jake, +fairly cheap rent for really awesome housing, -asshole homeowner neighbors trying to get your shitty car towed over and over cause you're parked on a public street, +the Buccaneer, -hippie night two days a week at the Buccaneer. It goes on and on just like anywhere else. But it's home. I also love turning yankees into rednecks, so c'mon down!
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 7:55 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

well hippies is just pirates without a boat anyways
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 9:10 pm

i love you joseph t (and hethur too)
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 3:09 am

thanks, theresa! you're not kidding: nothing close could be had in nyc without massive, yeasty bread.

and hey, i know that awesome drummer in your yard. please send my regards.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 11:48 am

well, that is/was a good read
thanks to all for your personal
perferences and that inside
tarding info is cool too
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 2:48 pm

homely chicks to
fuck

columbus and milwaukee DEFINITELY have 'homely' covered. memphis a not so distant 3rd.

We got plenty big girls if that's your thing too, B.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 2:51 pm

ss badger carferry from manitowoc to ludington
http://ssbadger.com/content.aspx?Page=Schedule
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 10:32 pm

jenna - are you fully employed in berlin or freelancing with clients in the US. just wondering how the visa situation is being handled. was looking at relocating myself.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 10:11 am | Edited by: jenna

freelancing as a publicist and writer for clients in NYC and here. it's not surefire that one can get a work visa. marriage is probably the better route. :)
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 1:22 pm

Potter in muskegon during the winter time, it sounded like fun to take the ferry to milwaukee

you know, you can take the fairy out of Michigan, but you can't take Michigan out of the fairy
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 1:37 pm

it's not surefire that one can get a work visa

and getting more difficult each day. i don't know about germany but spain is over-run with "illegal aliens" - i guess from non-EU countries

i worked in the UK and France during the 80s but i characterized it and executed it this way:

1) was working "on location" in europe

2) got paid american money into american banks. essentially, i lived off my amex card and since amex has offices the world over, was able to pay my amex bill with my american checks, etc (also - i am incorporated; this makes a big difference)

3) you won't be able to take advantage of this one -- i had a diplomatic passport - so i could stay as long as i wanted - but you should come and go from whatever country you are in - so your visitor's visa is always extended --- normally, its 6 months -- so, take a weekend trip across a border and you get to start the clock all over again when you return. plenty of my friends did that in the UK - weekend trip to the continent the cheap way (boat to holland or france) and on re-entry to the UK - 6 more months to stay!

alternatives and solutions

1) if you can get dual citizenship, do it -- various countries will "grandfather" you in - almost literally if your grandparents were born in said euro country, moved to the USA (but didn't renounce their citizenship on paper - for Italy this is really specific) - it will cost a couple grand and you need to do a lot of legwork with your european ancestor's documents - but in the end, you will be able to avail yourself of many EU benefits including working there (non euro countries like australia and new zealand are way different)

2) as jenna said: marriage
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 1:45 pm

or you could just join the french foreign legion for 5 years then once your contract is up (and you don't get your nuts blown off in chad or wherever) you get the chance to become a french citizen. after paying all the back taxes you accrued (legionaries don't get taxed since they aren't french) you're totally in. VIVA!
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 1:50 pm

Portland is awesome-- all the real punk rockers live in the Pearl, no hippies anywhere, the government pays you to be in a band and Fred Cole will totally add you on Facebook. also: no condos, anywhere. and it's fucking sunshine and lollipops like 24/7
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 2:34 pm

jesus, theresa, you have more knowledge of this than i do. people keep asking and i keep saying "i don't know. do you?" i'm going to the american embassy tomorrow to get real details. i do think marriage is the way to go. and speaking of, any single european goners out there need an american wife? my country for yours, with visitation rights from here to eternity. i already asked brother robert and he turned me down, dammit.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 3:00 pm

jenna, i do know a lot about the dual citizenship thing as a few of my friends have done it in the past couple years and i've seen the process first hand -- if you have any grandparent-generation euro ancestors, it is worth looking into. if your family has been in the states for longer than that, its a real long-shot

i wanted to do it and have dual greek-american citizenship but my state dept. employed relatives totally put the kibosh on that. they're of the "proud to be american" first kids of immigrants generation.
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 2:44 pm

memphis a not so distant 3rd.

Sadly so. And it was one of the prized picking grounds not that many years ago.
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 3:17 pm

if you have any grandparent-generation euro ancestors, it is worth looking into
Sweet! Does this mean I can become a citizen of Bessarabia or the Austro-Hungarian Empire?
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 9:45 pm

Tet,since all the "Cool" cities have been picked over and bled dry,i think you should set your sights on the "Shitty" cities that are trying to catch up.There's something to be said about being on The First Wave of something happening in Nowheresville USA.

So i suggest to you... The Next Seattle:Mobile,Alabama.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 12:07 am

The morgue..
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 12:24 am

Sweatpants Baker's couch
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 3:50 am

Muskegon, MI is an unforgiving shithole.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 3:54 am

I don't like bad poetry.
Don't move here.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 9:41 am

I don't know about the coolest, cheapest place to relocate, but the coolest and cheapest way to relocate seems pretty obvious: Witness a crime and rat out the bad guys (or even cooler - participate in crimes and then turn on your cohorts!), then have the Government move you and your family somewhere for your safety.

What could go wrong!?
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 10:02 am

The Next Seattle:Mobile,Alabama.

don't even joke about shit like that. it COULD happen.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 12:41 pm

a little late, but...arman: YOU'RE A NUTS BLOWN OFF IN CHAD!!!
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 12:43 pm

hee haw!
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 1:04 pm

After being back home for a few weeks, I must give the award to Memphis. I might find many more things wrong with it this time next year, but all the same things that were once wrong are still wrong, so no surprises. But they are offset with the always cool stuff and some new very nice things that I am enjoying.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 1:45 pm

don't like bad poetry.
Don't move here

i'm waiting for you to hitch your "star" to some entertainment scheme in Austin and get cheery before I visist TN again
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 4:10 pm

i relocated here and it is cheap and cool:

pretty 1
pretty 2
pretty 3

That's your new foriegn pad? It's looks totally sweet, congratulations!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®