Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Will (Bill) Elder RIP
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:02 pm

This happened two weeks ago but I thought it still deserved a post:

Will Elder, one of the original Mad magazine cartoonist-illustrators who helped set the irreverent visual style of the legendary satirical publication in the 1950s and later co-created the long-running "Little Annie Fanny" color cartoon strip in Playboy magazine, has died. He was 86.

Elder died of Parkinson's disease Thursday in a nursing home in Rockleigh, N.J., said his son-in-law, Gary VandenBergh.

"His artistic ability was unparalleled, but it was the sense of humor that he brought to it that really set him apart," Hugh Hefner, Playboy publisher and a fan of Elder's work since "the early days of Mad," told The Times on Friday. "He was a zany and a lovable one."

A Bronx-born World War II veteran, Elder was among a handful of cartoonists assembled in 1952 to launch Mad, which was founded by editor Harvey Kurtzman and publisher William M. Gaines.

Originally a comic book that spoofed other comic books, Mad in 1955 became a magazine satirizing pop culture and American life.

"Will Elder was absolutely brilliant," Al Jaffee, a writer-cartoonist for Mad since 1958, told The Times on Friday. "He was the star from the beginning; he had a feel for the kind of satire that eventually spread everywhere."

Mad editor John Ficarra considers Elder to be "one of the funniest artists to ever work for Mad."

"He really brought a fresh approach to satiric comic illustration," said Ficarra, who worked with Elder in the '80s when the team of Elder and Kurtzman returned to Mad after they both left in 1956.

At Mad, Elder was known for his flawless draftsmanship and his flair for mimicking the visual styles of other comic book artists and drawing ad parodies with photographic precision.

But his trademark was the throwaway sight gags that he inserted into the cartoon panels: visual minutiae that he jokingly called "chicken fat."

During Elder's and Kurtzman's years at Mad in the '50s, Ficarra said, Kurtzman would write the stories and do rough pencil-sketches, which Elder would illustrate.

Ficarra said Kurtzman "was known for doing these elaborate layouts, where he'd pencil in what he wanted drawn in every frame and give that to Willie.

"If you think of these panels as sort of a bare Christmas tree, Willie would put on some ornaments, some balls, some tinsel. Then he'd start putting on some things you might not expect to see on a Christmas tree -- a bowling ball, an old sneaker, a frozen TV dinner -- so at the end, these panels would be jam-packed with visuals that were sort of incongruous to what was going on, but it really rewarded readers who paid attention.

"Frequently, I've heard from people who say, 'You really couldn't read one of Willie's stories in one sitting.' You had to go back and reread it several times because you always seemed to miss things."

While at Mad in the '50s, Ficarra said, Elder "did the illustrations for a take-off on Mickey Mouse called Mickey Rodent. He did Starchie instead of Archie. He did Superduperman, which is a real classic. For the people who grew up with Mad at this time period and even afterward, there is real affection for Willie and his artwork."

Which was, he said, "very subversive."

"He would do things like in the Superduperman parody, instead of the S shield he had a Good Housekeeping seal. And in the next panel he changed it to something else and then something else. There was constant playing with the reader."
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:04 pm

And then there's this:

Elder was known as an inveterate prankster. As a child, he once cut out paper silhouettes of a man carrying a knife and a woman. Attaching them to a rotating record turntable, he projected their image onto the windowshade, and began screaming. People on the outside of the building saw what they thought was an assailant chasing his victim around the room.

Kurtzman recounted the time Elder and his playmates found a stock of fresh meat as a child: "These kids collected a bunch of clothes and they dressed the meat in clothes and spread the combination of meat and clothes along the right-of-way for about half a mile on the railroad tracks. Then Willy started shrieking at the top of his voice that Mikey had fallen down onto the railroad tracks. Naturally every woman for miles around who had a son named Mike went out of their mind, seeing this mess of clothes and meat along the tracks... this is the kind of kid that Willy was."
Posted: May 29, 2008 8:55 pm

My favorite Elder piece ? MOLE ! But, Superduperman was drawn by another genius, Wally Wood.
Posted: May 30, 2008 12:43 pm | Edited by: cthort

Then Willy started shrieking at the top of his voice that Mikey had fallen down onto the railroad tracks

I was just reading this the other night in the 10 Cent Plague book. Buy it now.
Posted: May 30, 2008 2:24 pm

I totally missed this. He was amazing, and uber-influential, yessir!!

R.I.P.
Posted: May 30, 2008 3:54 pm

I thought this was about Bill Elder the newsman in NOLA......George's dad....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®