Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / So, does anyone know about this Family Stone tour?
Posted: May 23, 2008 1:01 am

It's being billed as The Family Stone Experience, featuring a guest appearance by Sly Stone.

What gives?
Posted: May 23, 2008 1:30 am

where did you hear that?
i follow sly very closely and this is the first i've heard of it. he has been doing sporadic gigs with jerry, cynthia, and rose, but canceled the only 2 that were remaining in the last month, chicago and minneapolis. larry graham and freddie stone didnt participate, neither did greg errico.
Posted: May 23, 2008 1:30 am

are you sure youre not looking at a story from 2007?
Posted: May 23, 2008 2:18 am | Edited by: Mullett

i follow sly very closely

So closely in fact, that when he stopped once, it took them an hour to pry my head out of his ass.

The Gospel According to Sly?

That's not bad. Lotsa people out there doin' a lot worse.

Sorry Brad. Nothing personal. The board's just a kick in the ass at 3:20 am EST.
Posted: May 23, 2008 3:02 am

i'm dead serious. i've followed every single one of his comeback shows since the grammy performance last year searching for any and every bit of information i could find. i make everyone watch the hours and hours of video footage ive compiled. sly stone is probably my main musical obsession of the last year and a half. when banned and trickknee were here a few weeks back we literally watched over 3 hours of SATFS.
Posted: May 23, 2008 3:12 am

i make everyone watch the hours and hours of video footage ive compiled.

Is that before or after you clobber them over the head with scripture?
Posted: May 23, 2008 3:20 am

i wait to be asked about it. same as online for the most part. it tends to be someone else who brings it up, or a relevant conversation. then of course i have no problem discussing it at length.
Posted: May 23, 2008 3:54 am

then of course i have no problem discussing it at length.

Kudos on being self-aware.
Posted: May 23, 2008 4:12 am

no problem!
Posted: May 23, 2008 7:24 am

neither did greg errico.

what about jack?
Posted: May 23, 2008 10:09 am

where did you hear that?

It was in the local paper on Wednesday, the show's up here on Jun 30th. I can't find any other details though.

It's one of those things that could be pretty good, or really, really bad. Any info one way or the other would be great.
Posted: May 23, 2008 4:10 pm

sly was pretty good on his last tour

if you hear anything else or find any links online lemme know
also, i have a line on his current booking agent/management so if you give me the city/venue i can probably get confirmation if its for real or not.
Posted: May 23, 2008 4:13 pm

discussions are not cut/paste, bradley
Posted: May 23, 2008 4:40 pm

i'm quite adept at discussing the bible in person. however, the internet provides a valuable tool for checking references. nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
Posted: May 23, 2008 4:47 pm

well the internet is not 'in person" and cutting/pasting refrences still is not a discussion

just admit I'm right and walk away
Posted: May 23, 2008 4:54 pm

i thought you were talking about my comment at 3:20 am.
if not, then whatever.
Posted: May 27, 2008 8:30 pm

I saw the first show on last year's tour and while it may have gotten better later in the tour (I heard that it did on some shows), the audience reaction generally ranged from bemusement to anger at being ripped off.

His voice is a little ragged but still OK... but it just doesn't seem like his mind is there. I guess 30 years of crack will do that to you.

It's being billed as The Family Stone Experience, featuring a guest appearance by Sly Stone

I'm guessing its being billed this way so that people won't expect a full show from Sly...it's a little more honest than calling it SATFS.

If you get Jerry and Cynthia, that's more original members than last year...and the band sounded good. Just don't expect too much from Sly - like more than 15 minutes. He'll say he has to piss and that'll be the end of it.

He's a medical miracle on a par with Shane McGowan...
Posted: May 27, 2008 8:33 pm

he did several radio interviews recently and sounds mentally fine to me.
http://www.indie1031.com/7504_JJ_-_media.php?id=14
“04.17.08 - JJ - Sly Stone”
interview with steve jones
Posted: May 27, 2008 8:36 pm

OK Brad, but that was how he appeared on stage to most of the audience.
Posted: May 27, 2008 8:37 pm

I wish I could report that it was amazing, honestly.
Posted: May 28, 2008 2:10 am

sounds pretty good to me

another recent radio interview, nothing wrong with his mind as far as i can tell
http://www.kearth101.com/Morning-Show-Guest:-Sly-Stone/2023141
Posted: May 28, 2008 10:49 am

are you sure youre not looking at a story from 2007?

Nope, it's been confirmed for June 30th, 2008.

Well, I figure I'll roll the dice on this one. At best, it could be good, at worst, it could be funny.
Posted: May 28, 2008 1:01 pm

When's the Graham Central Station reunion?

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF9_7QB7X6A]Remember Sinbad's Summer Jam in Aruba?/url]
Posted: May 28, 2008 1:05 pm

When's the Graham Central Station reunion?

Sinbad's Summer Jam In Aruba!!!!
Posted: May 28, 2008 1:19 pm

Just don't expect too much from Sly - like more than 15 minutes. He'll say he has to piss and that'll be the end of it.

-if he shows up two hours late as well, then it will be no different than back in the day.
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 1:59 am

Thanks Brad!

Just noticed this myself. Fingers crossed that the September date works out (now it's being billed as Sly & The Family Stone...go figure).
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 2:06 am

i keep a close eye on sly...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®