Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Art people - photoshop / printer / color management question
Posted: May 15, 2008 4:06 pm

can anyone help me out and explain why my back-up printer outputs black as green?

i have futzed around and can't figure it out. my regular printer prints true to my monitor - their colors are in sync, etc. unforunately, my regular printer is out of black ink and i am waiting for a shipment to arrive. the back up printer has plenty of ink but the color is off

now i am afraid i've screwed up my color preferences and who knows what else.

i'm a retard at this, so please, explain to me so a 6 year old can understand
Posted: May 15, 2008 4:09 pm

your printer hates you.
also, its your fault your parents are getting a divorce because you are a bad, bad girl.

hope this clears things up for you.
Posted: May 15, 2008 4:36 pm

dude... my parents are dead

my printer hates my roommate too
Posted: May 15, 2008 4:48 pm

if you're printing with a color cartridge you might be out of red ink which would cause the blue and yellow to make green. you might have to get another ink cartridge OR the head might need cleaned but i'm guessing it's the ink cartridge 'cause the same thing happened to our old printer.
Posted: May 15, 2008 4:49 pm

is your back up printer one cartridge or different for each color and black? if its one, then black might be out and its trying to mix colors to make black and green is as close as it can get. also, if its seperate cartridges for each color make sure the black one has ink or it will still do the same thing.
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:06 pm | Edited by: pseudo pion

Technically, its best to never print from Photoshop. The best way to print is from a layout program like "InDesign" or "Quark"... In any case, make sure your picture format is set to "CMYK" if you plan on printing the photo/art work. NEVER print when the document is set for "RGB". RGB is only good for monitors and online display. Chances are, the RGB image and the printed RGB image won't match up....

If it's truly a printer problem, make sure your ink cartridges are full & clean (obviously) and do a color calibration on the printer. That's usually performed by going to your printer settings/preferences option within the printer driver. Probably called "color management" or something....

also see this
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:07 pm

Yes, I agree with the last; sort of. I am pretty sure printing machines work through the subtractive color mixing process and would have black (the most popular cartridge), as most additive colors are adjusted to be some CYMK (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta, Black) mixture so that they can be printed with a standard printer. Green would mean that you are either out of black, black is otherwise not working, or your computer is miscalibrated somehow and the residual color is the mixture of cyan and yellow, which would mix to green. I think you need to get a new black ink or a new printer.
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Well, when I said that I sort of agree with the last one I actually meant idiot string. I definitely agree with Pseudo Pion though.
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:13 pm | Edited by: Shaun A

It's evil spirits, a common printing problem. The industry standard solution is to wait til dawn, while the spirits are sleeping and at their most ineffective, and creep up and place a dead fox in the paper feed - though being a city dweller, you may have to get a pig from a chinatown wholesaler. Don't worry, these will work just as well. Just let it stand there while you chant the mantras (you'll find them just before the tech specifications section of your printer's manual, just after the troubleshooting guide). As you chant, bang pots and pans very loudly. Keep this up for a good hour after the sun rises just to make sure the spirits have been frightened away. Then run a test sheet to see if the colours are matching. This will pretty much do the trick. Nine out of ten calls we get here at Lexmark are to do with evil spirits and pretty much this is the problem. Oh, make sure you remove the fox / pig from the paper feed! You'll be surprised how many calls we get afterwards when someone forgets. Hope this helps.
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:18 pm

OK - here's the dealio:

the back up printer is full of fresh cartridges in all the colors: photo black, magenta, light magenta, yellow, cyan and light cyan - all the cartridges are at 100%

the diff. between preferred printer and back up printer is that preferred printer has those colors plus light black and light yellow

i'll have to re-clean, re-realign, etc AND try printing CMYK instead of RGB? i'm printing BW pix...

if i choose the option to use black ink only (which does exist), will this make the green problem go away?

i don't have indesign or quark, so its gotta be photoshop

this printer is, as i said, the back up printer. my preferred printer takes a whole different kind of cartridge (and more of them) and i am waiting for my black cartridges to arrive. i'm not getting yet another printer! this lame back up printer is fine for documents. its just pretty crappy for photos even though it is a photo printer
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:20 pm

OH - and there IS black in my prints. its actually the shades of black that are turning a monster movie green - the grays, etc. - and only SOME of them
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:36 pm

OH - and there IS black in my prints. its actually the shades of black that are turning a monster movie green - the grays, etc. - and only SOME of them

There you go...It looks like your setup to print using additive colors other than just black. Try printing using black only. The gradients will be printed using only the black cartridge.

By-the-way, always setup your document as CMYK even if you're printing BW. What model printer(s) are you using?
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:54 pm

you may have saved the B/W print as RGB unintenionally. Go back into Photoshop and make sure your image is saved as grayscale. This should fix it.

By-the-way, always setup your document as CMYK even if you're printing BW. What model printer(s) are you using?

I haven't found this to be true. Save as grayscale if you're printing B/W.
Posted: May 15, 2008 6:19 pm

I haven't found this to be true. Save as grayscale if you're printing B/W.

Sometimes you actually get a richer BW print if using CMYK. Many shades aren't printed in grayscale since the print is limited to a single channel, 256 gray-level range. Using CMYK, you get 3 other channels overlapping to add to the tones. The substrate/media you print on also has a huge effect on the print quality.

Theresa, be sure to convert the image to CMYK or Grayscale FIRST, then make adjustments/print after that. Otherwise, the color conversion will occur at the printer level and it won't match the screen.
Posted: May 15, 2008 6:45 pm

I wish I had you for my printer, pseudo pion!

As it is, taking something out to be printed is awfully dicey.
I print cards to sell on my own printer...an Epson. The B/W ones I save as grayscale and it seems to work fine. I don't usually adjust the printer settings except to "print as best" or something like that.

My color collages are very large, and I have to take them out to be printed from disk. All the graphics work I send over the web absolutely must be CMYK, and at 300 dpi. With my own work I've finally settled into letting Kinko's do it. I've tried many others, but I know the large format guy at Kinkos, and he'll always print me a proof beforehand. I've been partial to taking them PSD files in RGB. A while back they told me it had to be converted to PDF. I later found this wasn't true. The best results I get now in outprinting are compose in Photoshop as CMYK and save as a PSD (this is in color). For my B/W prints I save in grayscale as PSDs. Seems to work okay at the Kinko's.
Posted: May 15, 2008 7:09 pm

my files are saved as CMYK always. there are some vendors I use that require them to be RGB - and if I outsource, I make those adjustments.

I'll try the black cartridge only printing - but as for psuedo pion's directions - i do that already.

the crappy back up printer i am using is an epson photo r220. its got 6 cartridges - which means it doesn't suck but actually, it does

alisa - every printing vendor has a whole different set of requirements and specs that work for their particular protocol - and as long as you have figured out what works with each of them, you're set. my printer in NYC sent me a bunch of color profiles to install for the files of mine they print - which is why those giant prints i get done are consistent, etc. they prefer TIF files in RGB, at least 11 MB in size

thanks y'all for the help
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®