Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / i just got a music man 210 hd 130...now what?
Posted: May 15, 2008 7:12 am

It appears that I'm the 3rd owner and the dude that sold it to me only played it in church once a week. He had it recapped, new tubes, soldered,
new speakers (1-copperhead,1-rajun cajun) and it appears to be in pretty
good shape.

this thing is awesome, but I need a quick cheat sheet...

what's a good pedal (distortion/fuzz) to put in front? I have a cheapy Danelecto that's okay, how about a Rat/MXR/Boss distortion? Under $100.

anybody got any favorite settings?
I assume it's pretty much always through the 2nd channel...that sounds best to me.

Is there a noticeable difference between the two inputs on both channels?
I read that it's supposed to be a 'high' or 'low' input...what's that?

Am I correct that you run this sucker in the 4 ohm position and would switch to 8 ohms when adding a cabinet(why, it's loud as crap).

thanks
Posted: May 15, 2008 7:50 am

...now what?

Plug in and play. Try different pedals. Experiment. There are no magic settings, just the ones you like.
Posted: May 15, 2008 7:55 am

'high' or 'low' input...what's that?

the low is a dB cut. for situations, like in church, where you may not need to be "all up in their face" when you're shreddin

run it at 8 ohms, 4 when you add a cabinet.
Posted: May 15, 2008 8:04 am

In my experience with MMs, you don't want to set the Hi, Mid, Lows on anything above 6 before it starts sounding like ass. I usually keep them lower than that- 3 or 4. But that might just be my taste too.
Posted: May 15, 2008 9:30 am

cool, thanks.
btw, I'm assuming the low input is on the left, the high on the right?
Posted: May 15, 2008 9:40 am

Play the thing and figure it out. Set both channels the same. Plug in to the left, then the right. Use the one that sounds best to YOU.
Posted: May 15, 2008 9:44 am

awwwwww man after getting my twin recently, the boss blues driver pedal doesnt seem to handle well in front of it. kinda sounds fake. maybe ill try a MUFF or a BIG MUFF! MUFF MUFF MUFF MUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: May 15, 2008 12:23 pm

I got a 90s "Vintage Rat" reissue recently for cheap. Sounds kinda shitty to me-- too much "sizzle" or whatever. Gotta keep the knobs real low or it starts to sound kinda metal-douchey.

Same for the MXR Distortion+. It's just fucking thin sounding, way worse than the Rat. And you gotta run it with the Level knob all the way up or it'll cut your signal down a ton.
Posted: May 15, 2008 12:43 pm

I recently got a little big muff from the 70s. It's rad. Looks like this. To replace my big muff after Nick killed his big muff and I let him borrow it and he killed mine. Then he fixed his and killed mine some more. Anyway, I love this one more. And we both play musicmans. But do what Carney said. I just wanted to talk about my MUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: May 15, 2008 1:09 pm

yeah, i've always played bass, now i'm 'playing' geetar and was just lookin for a few generic settings as a shortcut, since i got it yesterday and practice is tonight...definitely plan to dial in some tones this weekend.

thanks for the info on the Rat, scratch that off the list-no metal douchey for me.
I thought of the MXR just cuz i read some interview w/ Kid Congo and he used one.

maybe I'll look into the muffs
Posted: May 15, 2008 1:22 pm | Edited by: Jay

i use this on the songs posted here best example is the first one, towards the end.

it's a kinda expensive pedal though, but it's awesome.
Posted: May 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Oh, and i guess my point is that i play a music man 410, so the sound would be similar.
Posted: May 15, 2008 3:15 pm | Edited by: dale

I was using a Boss Tone Driver when I was using my Tele with my MM but it sounded not right when I used it with the Ric. For the Ric/MM combo I got some kind of Zakk Wylde distortion pedal that sounds cool.

Rat's are stupid with their sizzle but I think that's sort of their intention.
Posted: May 15, 2008 3:21 pm

i have a MM410 65 and i use the reverb/trem channel only. i play it on high and i use the 4 ohm setting. the treble is usually at 8, mid at 7, bass at 10, the volume at 3-4 and the master at like 7. i use the bright setting on the left and the normal setting or the right.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®