Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / anyone ever read PICK-UP by charles willeford?
Posted: May 14, 2008 12:02 am

damn book threw me for a loop and i loved it. still reelin! joke's on everybody, i guess.
Posted: May 14, 2008 1:55 am

I still wanna read Cockfighter, but I can never find a copy around town.
Posted: May 14, 2008 2:57 am

willeford is the man. along with jim thompson, david goodis and dan marlowe, the holy four of pulp writing. i own about six different copies of cockfighter, the black lizard version should be easy to find on ebay or abebooks for a bargain price. The Burnt Orange Heresy and Woman Chaser are some other Willeford must-reads. i love the guy so much, i actually bought a couple books from his personal collection after he passed away.
Posted: May 14, 2008 6:56 am

Posted: May 14, 2008 6:59 am

i like Cornell Woolrich also
Posted: May 14, 2008 9:07 am

woman chaser=devastating.
Posted: May 14, 2008 9:44 am

I just thought this one was OK. Need to read his other stuff.
Posted: May 14, 2008 2:29 pm

I always liked "The Shark Infested Custard" -- great 70's read.
I think all his books are worth reading. "the Whip Hand" is tough to find (think he used a psuedonym) but really good.

that movie they made of "Woman Chaser" weren't bad either.
Posted: May 14, 2008 3:50 pm

"the Whip Hand" is tough to find

Bray!
Posted: May 14, 2008 4:57 pm

I love love love Willeford. Pick Up is one of my fave books ever thanks to the ol' twist at the end. The Burnt Orange Heresy and Woman Chaser are good ones, too. I just saw the movie made of Cockfighter (awesome!) like two weeks ago and now I'm dying to read that book.
Posted: May 15, 2008 4:59 am

I'd love to see the film of Cockfighter, starring Warren Oates... yeah, Hoke Mosely's a great noir hero " Hawaiian shirt, cheap beer, false teeth!
Posted: May 15, 2008 9:42 am

book, movie, both Cockfighters are great!
Posted: May 15, 2008 6:48 pm

I didn't think I was going to enjoy reading Cockfighter much so it was one of the last of his titles I read and it turned out to be pretty awesome, of course. Charles Willeford is the greatest. I got a copy of lust is a woman but haven't read it yet. I don't think it has ever been reprinted so it is an original paperback from 1958.
Posted: May 15, 2008 7:12 pm

yep, cockfighter the movie is a classic. have yet to read the book but am planning on it soon. warren oates is the mane. on a sort of related note, was also happy to see two lane blacktop make it into the criterion collection awhile back.

any thoughts on the film version of the woman chaser? i think patrick warburton does richard hudson justice. the scene where he dances with mama might be my favorite.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®