Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / the fine art of bad writing
Posted: May 13, 2008 10:33 am

From popmatters.com:

The gift of the South is that it interrupts any heroic tale the United States tries to tell about itself, even when we have to trace the racism for ourselves from the underside of the electric guitar or the failed exorcism of bongos.

Full review here: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews/57358/marcia-ball-peace-lov e-and-bbq/
Posted: May 13, 2008 10:39 am

Jesus fuck that was awful.
Posted: May 13, 2008 10:40 am

Well call me a popsicle and blow me.

That is crazy!
Posted: May 13, 2008 10:48 am

Dibs on The Failed Exorcism of Bongos as an album title.
Posted: May 13, 2008 10:53 am | Edited by: michael baker

Therefore, towards the end of the album when Ball sings “Ride It Out”, a story song about a family home that survives numerous hurricanes, first due to the strength of its foundation and then due to its a ability to float along the river from Mississippi to Alabama, I wonder about the heritage that survives here. Is this a song of affirmation for the resilience of the Katrina Diaspora?

it's funny: the first sentence is overblown and pompous, but it's got a specific kick with the guitar image and it at least traces an important question re south and her music. the above sentence is merely twaddle, with ill constructions, a misuse (times two) of the awk phrase "due to," questionable placement of punctuation, and a belabored (cue the heavy breathing at a climatic moment of a Open MIC slam "poem"), and questionable, assertion. please, also, people have resilience, not Diasporas.

good thing she teaches composition at duke!!!
Posted: May 13, 2008 11:00 am

That's only when she's not busy being a "queer black troublemaker."
Posted: May 13, 2008 11:12 am

"queer black troublemaker."

that's an lp title fer sure
Posted: May 13, 2008 1:54 pm

affirmative action, and she probably tutored some city kids for a semester at some local middle school (in re: her teaching of composition)
Posted: May 13, 2008 2:33 pm

funny that she writes so much into this album, yet only gives it a 5 out of 10. heh. (i'm sure it is pretty crappy though.)

http://www.myspace.com/alexispauline

i am nosy and had to look her up a bit more.
Posted: May 13, 2008 2:36 pm

i am nosy and had to look her up a bit more.

maybe you should be looking into a part time career has a private detective...
Posted: May 13, 2008 2:53 pm

Ball, who used some of these songs to raise money for Hurricane Katrina Relief, must know that violence, neglect, and hunger are equally, if not more relevant contexts for listening to her work.

Marcia Ball... from my perspective, I'd say comfort and complacency are the most popular contexts for consumption of this shit.

Also aren't strong foundations made of concrete? Shouldn't that fucking house have sunk? Isn't a house that floats down the river basically done being a house? The whole premise behind her stupid song is flawed.
Posted: May 13, 2008 4:08 pm

On the myspace, right after calling herself a queer black troublemaker she says she's "a diasporic afro-antillean grandchile." Again with the diaspora!
Posted: May 13, 2008 4:15 pm

I'm gonna go right home and make sure there's no racism on the underside of my guitar. I know there's some beer and sweat, so there might be some racism on there too. A little Pledge should take care of that.
Posted: May 13, 2008 4:27 pm

I'm gonna go right home and make sure there's no racism on the underside of my guitar. I know there's some beer and sweat, so there might be some racism on there too. A little Pledge should take care of that.

You should get with your bongo player while you're at it.
Posted: May 13, 2008 4:38 pm

You should get with your bongo player while you're at it.

He's too busy performing exorcisms.
Posted: May 13, 2008 5:12 pm

I like how she thinks some inoffensive, hacky Austin singer / songwriter put that much thought into her songs.
Posted: May 13, 2008 7:08 pm

fucking hilarious. diaspora, bitchez! represent!
Posted: May 14, 2008 9:15 am

I just changed my son's diaspora.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®