Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / the Von Bondies... give me a break
Posted: May 13, 2008 2:13 am

So my band got asked to play support for the Von Bondies here in Portland. But both us and the Headliners were "rejected by thier management company". For a band whose principal claim to fame is thier singer getting his ass beat publically to turn down two bands that would outdraw them sure takes balls. Maybe thier management company is hoping for Everclear so Art can come compare his fifteen minutes of fame with these also- rans.
Posted: May 13, 2008 2:15 am

the von bondies fucking suck anyway. do they actually think people would go see them? ugh.
Posted: May 13, 2008 2:17 am

the von bondies fucking suck anyway.

Amen, sister. I remember them taking a lot of fun out of a Cramps show & a Cheater Slicks show.

"All this crazy dancin' is makin' my penis soft." - Dave Chappelle
Posted: May 13, 2008 8:19 am

asked to play support for the Von Bondies

so you're disappointed about being rejected by a band that you don't like? at least you have a "claim to fame" now. haw haw.
Posted: May 13, 2008 9:16 am

happens all the time..Clubs ask bands before clearing it with mgmt .. Get over it they blow anyways
Posted: May 13, 2008 10:39 am

If The Dirtbombs can play up here the other night in Victoria and only draw a measly 75 people, I can't imagine how empty the Von Bondies show will be at the end of the month.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: in terms of relevance (regional bands being signed to a major label in the wake of a breakthrough band), The Von Bondies are Psychafunkapus...or maybe Greenapplequickstep.
Posted: May 13, 2008 11:03 am

Seems like lots of bands in Detroit are career-track wannabes with delusions of grandeur, when in fact, nobody outside of the city gives a fuck about 'em.
Posted: May 13, 2008 11:13 am

I liked how the first single off'a their 'comeback' LP was a rip of You're Gonna Miss Me, way to go!
Posted: May 13, 2008 12:52 pm

The Von Bondies were all over the NME and other British rock rags when I was living in London in '03--'04, and not once was it because of their music. All that was ever mentioned was how the singer got his nose socked and the attractiveness of the bass player. Nonetheless, they seemed to enjoy playing at being rock stars.
Posted: May 13, 2008 4:27 pm

who the fuck are the von bondies?
Posted: May 13, 2008 5:00 pm | Edited by: dont wanna be a fat boy

who the fuck are the von bondies?

some garage band from Detroit whose (actually decent) first album was, I believe, produced by some guy called Jack White (never heard of him- have you?!); like I said, that one is OK but the first (next?) one on Sire SUCKS ASS (I know because I bought it for my then-girlfriend when it came out and she was a VB fan, but even she hated it)- that put me off them forevermore

I also hate them for doing a lousy cover of The Sorrows' "Take A Heart" (when I say lousy, I mean they got the words wrong and didn't play it well either) and for the longest time the aforesaid now-ex didn't understand why I liked the Sorrows version better- for one thing, I've had the 45 of that since I was a kid; then she bought me the Take A Heart album and I burned her a copy of it- that shut her up alright!!
Posted: May 13, 2008 5:56 pm

Detroit are career-track wannabes

if you lived there you'd be dying to get out too. the economy has bottomed out, any job there pays like shit b/c there's so much competition, even delivering pizzas.
playing music beats doing anything at Ford's, no matter which local act is opening for you.

nobody outside of the city gives a fuck about 'em vs., say, all the bands from Chicago nobody's heard of?
Posted: May 13, 2008 6:02 pm

This thread has nothing to do with Nell Carter singing the theme song to her show.

Color me disappointed.
Posted: May 13, 2008 6:20 pm

also lacking any crucial kit-kat content
Posted: May 13, 2008 7:02 pm

don't cry! I hear Jet is coming through PDX soon, hop on that shit brah
Posted: May 13, 2008 8:32 pm

Belive me, that wasn't meant as indignant anger. We haven't put out a record or toured for years. It doesn't shock me to be rejected by a management company. I find it shockingly hilarious that the von fucking bondies still have a company micro- managing thier career. Its prompted a fun game at work w/ a co- worker and I. Get a real serious look on your face, hold your hand to your face like a telephone, and complete this sentence: "This is Blaine from the Von Bondies management company and..."
So far co- worker is winning with his "... I've got Bryce from Team Spin Doctors on line two and, well, I hope yr sitting down." Try it.
Posted: May 14, 2008 12:10 am

I remember liking the first Von Bondies album when it came, but I also listened to more shitty music back then. I saw them open for the Deadly Snakes in Toronto back in 2003 and 2004 and the highlight was someone pegging the singer in the head with during the middle of a song.
Posted: May 14, 2008 12:42 am | Edited by: bruce

yep
Posted: May 17, 2008 3:30 am

Color me disappointed.
no...Color me this..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bWZ67IaPZAk
Posted: May 17, 2008 12:43 pm

What was that fight between one of the guys from the Von Bondies and Jack White all about????
Posted: May 17, 2008 12:54 pm | Edited by: arman

they wore the same dress to the prom
Posted: May 17, 2008 12:59 pm

What was that fight between one of the guys from the Von Bondies and Jack White all about????

it was a huge Goner Board squabble, beef you might say.
Dirk Diggler and Bazooka Joe was picking at both of them,
which didn't help the situation.
--then it just got physical.
Posted: May 17, 2008 1:39 pm

Dirk Diggler and Bazooka Joe

haha. remember those fags?
Posted: May 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Apparently we're the third band submitted to support the VB's in PDX. I'm sure we'll get rejected too, but wouldn't want to play anyway and nobody's even talked to us about it so I'm not sure why our name got put forward. But we're going on tour soon and need $$ so if they ask and I can get a guarantee out the club then fuck it- we'll play.

I went to the VB's website the other day and the song that started up automatically was a huge piece of alt-emo shit (though admittedly I'm not hip enough to be sure what "alt-emo" actually means). I don't see how us or the 'rejected' bands would even be deemed as appropriate openers for them.
Posted: May 22, 2008 5:46 pm

I saw the VB's a while back, before the hot chick left the band. They were playing a "showcase" gig here in SF which is notable for attracting a high level of scrotes from the suburbs. The Black Lips have also played this "showcase".

I think Jason Jack-White's-Punching-Bag has some huge ironclad contract with whomever and he's just a slave, gotta leap thru whatever hoop the manager puts up there.

If Mr. Manager decides Gonerfest would be the next ladder step then maybe a deluxe tour bus will be pulling up to the bumper in September.
Posted: May 22, 2008 6:08 pm

Really? Gonerfest is a "step" in a direction? WOW!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 8:27 pm

None of the above even have a clue what they're talking about...First of all, Yamhill, if the Von Bondies WOULD have chosen your band to open for them, you'd be bowing and kissing their asses in thanks...but since they didn't even want your sorry band, you hate them...Thats so laughable.....Also, the VBs WERE the headliners, so I guess no one was unwanted but you...lol...You can only hope for 15 minutes of fame...

"Listen" to yourselves, you all sound alike...Jack White/sheep-herd mentality...Thinking you all have to follow each other rather than be excluded from the crowd"...Ambushing someone from the shadows so that you can't be gotten back at....how brave...Get a thought of your own!

P.S. If you want your band to succeed, you probably should be paying more attention to writing and practicing rather than spending hours on a message board putting someone else's efforts down to make yourself look better...(it doesn't)...
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 8:59 pm

I'm watching "Cops: In Harms Way(!)" and it's not that good. Just a couple suicidal losers and some high-schoolers doing heroin. I hope the next one's better.
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 11:25 pm

apparently the Von Bondies spend a lot of time Googling themselves
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 11:32 pm

and they suck.
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 11:33 pm

Posted: Jun 15, 2008 11:34 pm

rejectionist shash are the new wrong numbers.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 12:04 am

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 12:13 am

taxing detroit blog?
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 8:28 pm

None of the above even have a clue what they're talking about...First of all, Yamhill, if the Von Bondies WOULD have chosen your band to open for them, you'd be bowing and kissing their asses in thanks...but since they didn't even want your sorry band, you hate them...Thats so laughable.....Also, the VBs WERE the headliners, so I guess no one was unwanted but you...lol...You can only hope for 15 minutes of fame...

Ha - for reals? Actually, you don't know what you're talking about. There is a great PDX band called "The Headliners", although I think your entire post is probably a joke.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 9:24 pm

patunia spelled petunia wrong
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 5:33 am

hey putunia- we took that show b/c it was a chance to play before our bass player and his wife had thier second child. a nice evening w/the boys. you were mediocre at best six years ago at satyricon and i wasnt hoping this to be a career making night. we are band that mostly sticks to town and plays by our own rules. and i probably can guess that our last show had more than the 37 paid you brought in that night. make sure yr buddies at the management company know we are thinking about how thier strategies are paying off douche nozzle.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 6:02 am

Meanwhile, the band's other albums have sold only 19,000 copies in the U.S., and Stollsteimer stopped touring, leaving him with a steep drop in revenue.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 11:42 am

bass player and his wife had thier second child. a nice evening w/the boys. you were mediocre at best

sounds like Portland, Snoreagain to me!
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 5:04 pm

I just sold my copy of Pawn Shop Heart today. What a stinker that was.
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 5:43 pm

....oh, the band that does the Rescue Me theme song.....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®