Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Electronic Drum Kits???
Posted: May 11, 2008 5:00 pm

I'm looking to spend part of my economic stimulus check on an electronic drum kit, but I know very little about them. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something to let me play in my apartment and not disturb my neighbors. Any suggestions?
Posted: May 11, 2008 7:56 pm

The key to any electronic drum kit is the look that completes it. Start working out NOW. You need ripped pecs and abs. Also, start growing a goatee. You will need to be well on your way before you get to the next step:
tribal tatoo. Pick something off the wall, they're all from the same tribe anyway.

Once you're inked up and cock diesel, start working on the hair. If you want to go long, may I suggest shaving it all around and leaving it long on the top. If you have curly hair, use activator to get those curls into little ringlets -the tighter the better. Tie them back with some sort of doo-rag or scrunchy. If you go short, the more you look like an Ultimate Fighting Challenge contender, the better.

Once you've got the body and hair under control, it's time to go shopping. Don't bother with shirts, you won't be wearing any! As far as pants go, you're basic look is going to be cut-off sweat pants, so the Salvation Army is your best value for your dollar. The high dollar items of your wardrobe are going to be your gold guido chain or, if you're like me, of a paler complexion, one of those exaggerated dog-tag style beaded necklaces. Your last stop is the shoe store, puffy skater style low tops (who cares if your only board was a Nash, when you were 10 -no one will know) or puffy skater high tops (these are vintage, you might check ebay if you can't score them at the St. Vincent de Paul).

If you got any money left over, sink it into a gas guzzling American faux-muscle car. Coups are okay because your electric drums can be easily stacked in the passenger seat or (in the case that you find some skeez to take home and bang after the show), in the back "seat".

Good luck duder, and remember 'electronic drums aren't an investment, they're a lifestyle'.
Posted: May 11, 2008 9:07 pm

sorry electronic drum kits aren't cool enough for you, i just thought it would be a fun toy to have.
Posted: May 11, 2008 9:11 pm

She's a chick, Sam; with good chops, too. It probably wouldn't hurt to get awesome cans like Twinkle, but I think she was born with 'em.
Posted: May 11, 2008 9:31 pm

goatees on wimmen are HOTT!!!
(also not wearing a shirt would be an added attraction for yer band)
Posted: May 12, 2008 12:09 am

I was looking into getting an electronic kit for a while last year so I could practice drums in my apartment. I had decided on this one...it had the best reviews of all the ones in my price range. I ended up getting a car instead.
Posted: May 12, 2008 12:25 am

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Simmons-SD5K-Electronic-Drum-Ki t-?sku=443369
i was looking at these cheap pieces of shit for awhile when we thought my grandma was gonna die and my mom have to move in...
Posted: May 12, 2008 8:04 am

I was looking at something like this because it's cheap. But there's a box in the picture that I'm assuming is supposed to be the sampler/control box or whatever, but looks totally lame.

Or maybe this?

I've never heard of these brands. I'm not concerned with having outstanding audio quality, I just wanna screw around with it in the evenings at home.
Posted: May 12, 2008 8:50 am

Somebody told me that Target has cheap electric drums that are basically the same as more expensive Alesis (I think?) kits.
Posted: May 12, 2008 8:56 am

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DM5ProKit/

These DM-5 modules are supposed to be pretty sweet and look a lot better than the one included in the auction above. Plus the actual pads look better to me... Plus, with the DM-5 if you have real drums you can mic them and use the mic as a trigger. That's got to be cool for something... Plus you wouldn't have to be tied to your computer like with the software package.
Posted: May 12, 2008 8:59 am

Somebody told me that Target has cheap electric drums that are basically the same as more expensive Alesis (I think?) kits.

I just looked and it looks like it's Ion's that they have at target.
Posted: May 12, 2008 9:16 am

I hear that the Ion's need to go through an amp to get the power boost to be big enough.

I'm having the same problem with my guitar - when I plug it into my computer and use garageband I have to go with a "loud" amp option because it just sounds weak. I've been thinking of getting a Pig Nose 'cause then I can use it to practice with, or run the guitar through it before I plug into the computer (I think?). I'm thinking I could do that same thing with the drum kit. I'd love to hear any other suggestions.

Oh yeah, I'm trying to keep this sorta affordable (CHEAP). I'd love to find something between the Ion & the $600 kit.......
Posted: May 12, 2008 9:29 am

There's also the Alesis D4 drum module which were the old ones that some people think sound better than the D5, that you could probably get a lot cheaper than the D5 on ebay too.
Posted: May 12, 2008 12:11 pm

Posted: May 12, 2008 10:07 pm

I'll sell ya my Yamaha elec drums.
Basically this, but with more pads. Needs a new kick trigger.
Posted: May 13, 2008 5:12 pm

sorry electronic drum kits aren't cool enough for you

Wow, you got defensive over that bullshit? I'd hate to see it when you bring some dude home from the bar and he does a spit take, spraying your kit with a fine mist of Stella.

And Mr. Stands, let's not bring her muttonchops into this...
Posted: May 13, 2008 5:44 pm

My friend Slater has been playing electronic drums for years. This product is both versatile and easy to operate. The feel and snap to these are most enjoyable as compared to other products.

http://www.themusicstand.com/item--Rock-Beat-Electronic-Drum-Sticks--i -505646--u-758.html
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®