Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / My Bloody Valentine
Posted: May 10, 2008 11:16 am

I just paid $100 to see them at the worst venue in Chicago the day before my birthday. I'm not sure I had a choice.

You have my permission to make me feel stupid.
Posted: May 10, 2008 12:09 pm

you like that shit?
Posted: May 10, 2008 12:42 pm

it's because i'm so awesome
Posted: May 10, 2008 12:43 pm

I'd pay $100 to see MBV. That band ruled 15-20 years ago. Hopefully they will still be awesome.

No reason to feel stupid.
Posted: May 10, 2008 1:41 pm

it's more about the venue. sound at the agagon sucks. a lot. MBV is muddy enough without the added benefit of playing, basically, in a high school gym.
but they're only playing 5 dates, so, i had no choice.

it's because i'm so awesome.
Posted: May 10, 2008 2:07 pm

damn - did this sell out?....
Posted: May 10, 2008 2:09 pm

will they play "i'm free?" are you gonna candyflip to it?
Posted: May 10, 2008 2:18 pm

I liked them a lot when I was in high school. Last time I listened to them, they didn't really hold up though - but that's just me.

Don't feel stupid. I paid to go see Morrissey - who still holds up for me by the way. It's 'cause I'm super-gay.
Posted: May 10, 2008 7:35 pm

blame one Pitchfork review for turning what should be a $15 "reunion" gig into the $50 hipster event-of-the-decade. And that's what you're paying for-- the opportunity to say "I was there" and "I paid $50 to see some old guy play with his effects pedals for 45 minutes".

but you'll be well prepared when the Cred Wars make the streets run red with blood
Posted: May 10, 2008 7:43 pm

I'd go see them, but only if the ticket price included high grade Ecstasy. Gotta recreate the moment.
Posted: May 10, 2008 11:40 pm

but you'll be well prepared when the Cred Wars make the streets run red with blood

i invented the Cred Wars. i get .003 cents everytime someone plays Deerhoof on a blind date to get laid.
Posted: May 11, 2008 9:29 am

I saw MBV play the Cabaret Metro in Chicago with Dinosaur Jr. in '91 or '92...at the time I was a big fan, but it pretty much ended that night... sooooooooo booooooooring, painfully loud....
Posted: May 11, 2008 10:24 am

candyflip
you'd need glow sticks for that, right?
Posted: May 11, 2008 10:30 am

Bob McDonald and I went to see Sonic Boom in SF in 93 and gawwwwwwd....it was totally pathetic. 30 minutes (possibly) of Sonic Boom in a chair playing halfass feedback. The best part was after it thankfully ended and Bob was screaming, "BRILLIANT! ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!" Cred wars commence!
Posted: May 11, 2008 12:12 pm

with Dinosaur Jr. in '91 or '92

saw that same tour but at the 40 watt. they were great.
Posted: May 11, 2008 12:27 pm

I like their studio stuff, but I just can't see them pulling it off live.
Posted: May 11, 2008 12:30 pm

blur!

lush!

why not mbv? dang! i wouldn't pay that, esp. to see old men do it, but GLIDER... whoo!
Posted: May 11, 2008 12:31 pm

well they did then. they were loud as fuck and totally washed out in reverb. hopefully they didn't get all "weird beard".
Posted: May 11, 2008 1:01 pm | Edited by: saint sarah

I saw Sonic Boom play in maybe 2003 and it was great. I found a dime bag while crossing the street to the beat kitchen. I also saw Spirtulaized around the same time...possible 02. And they were great.

I would pay 100 dollars to see mbv today, most likely complain the whole time.

While I am mostly off the subecjt, is it worth it to fly to chicago for a night to see Simply Saucer?
Posted: May 11, 2008 1:55 pm

I saw MBV play the Cabaret Metro in Chicago with Dinosaur Jr. in '91 or '92...at the time I was a big fan, but it pretty much ended that night... sooooooooo booooooooring, painfully loud....

with Dinosaur Jr. in '91 or '92

saw that same tour but at the 40 watt. they were great.

I think the next night or so I saw Arcwelder at Lounge Ax and thought "this is fucking rock!"
Posted: May 11, 2008 10:42 pm

worth it to fly to chicago for a night to see Simply Saucer

why the fuck not?
Posted: May 12, 2008 10:56 am

In other news, Swervedriver is playing a whole buncha U.S. dates, starting next month. Unfortunately, it looks like the closest they will get to Memphis is Atlanta/NOLA.
Posted: May 12, 2008 12:43 pm

i got mbv tickets for sept
and swervedriver tix for june.
suck it
suck it
suck it
Posted: May 12, 2008 1:29 pm

You're a fool if you don't go see Nick Cave that night instead!
Posted: May 12, 2008 1:50 pm

I got Nick Cave/Cat Power/Spiritualized tix for the Bowl...

MBV is doing 2 shows here...surprised they didn't sell out.

Gonna buy a ticket in a minute.
Posted: May 12, 2008 2:05 pm

I'd come late for this show.
Posted: May 12, 2008 3:14 pm

I'd come late for this show.

HA!

Spiritualized I dig. Cat Power I've never seen...but yeah...I dig
Posted: May 12, 2008 3:19 pm

Spiritualized and Nick Cave should gang rape Cat Power. THAT might actually make her performance watchable. barely.
Posted: May 12, 2008 3:19 pm

Spiritualized always drove me bananas, but I could maybe do the ecstasy mentioned above regarding the MBV ticket and handle it. I don't think that even MDMA would help me get through a Cat Power gig, however. I have tried, lawd, how I have tried.
Posted: May 12, 2008 3:39 pm

Can we just go ahead and reserve/forgo the next 20" of this thread for saispaspower to rail against chan marshall ad nauseum?
Posted: May 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Am I the only one here who HATES Cat Power?
Posted: May 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Oh duh. What up saispas.
Posted: May 12, 2008 3:57 pm

see that's how it starts...
Posted: May 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Am I the only one here who HATES Cat Power?

my daddy always said, "boy, you don't love a woman till she's been gang raped by Nick Cave and Spiritualized".

he said that cause my mom was gang raped by Nick Cave and Spiritualized, but you'd never know he loved her by the way he treated her.
Posted: May 12, 2008 4:35 pm

Shoegaze music is the hot shit of the moment. What the fk is that all about???
Posted: May 12, 2008 4:43 pm

Shoegaze music is the hot shit of the moment. What the fk is that all about???

really? I thought it was that crystal castles shit
Posted: May 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Can we just go ahead and reserve/forgo the next 20" of this thread for saispaspower to rail against chan marshall ad nauseum?

Oh you. That was the last I'll say against your girlfren (at least this go 'round).
Posted: May 12, 2008 5:30 pm

can we get some catherine wheel up in this bitch?
Posted: May 12, 2008 7:13 pm

can we get some catherine wheel up in this bitch?
did they do anything besides "black metallic" ?
Posted: May 12, 2008 9:23 pm | Edited by: The Driver

worth it to fly to chicago for a night to see Simply Saucer

why the fuck not?

They're definitely worth seeing. How's the sound system in the club they're playing? (the more firepower the better)...also, playing Detroit with Human Eye the night before, and some Festival in Lexington the night after.
Posted: May 13, 2008 8:07 am

How's the sound system in the club they're playing?

decent. hopefully the transgender sound person will be working that night and will have a hormonal breakdown of some sort. that alone is worth the price of admission and having to endure his/her fey musical selections between bands.
Posted: May 13, 2008 8:16 am

oh boy, now I'm looking forward to Chicago...

see ya there!
Posted: May 13, 2008 9:17 am

playing a fest with them should be great
Posted: May 22, 2008 12:19 pm

i got 2 tix for $100 to MBV in chicago. it's a lot of cash, but fuck it. i never saw em. and LOVELESS is in my Top 10.
Posted: May 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Kevin Shields sounds like a Goner . A buddy of mine was in a band with Jimi, Kevins brother and Kevin was staying with Jimi for awhile. My buddy said Kevin did nothing for 2 weeks except sit around in his underwear, smoke pot and watch Jerry Springer.
Posted: May 22, 2008 2:21 pm

I'd pay $50 to see that
Posted: May 23, 2008 6:12 am

Kevin's a helluva nice guy... I don't really like his music but he's got excellent taste. Gotta love the fact that he nearly broke Creation, spending close to half a mil JUST runnning amp and mic tests! Shoegazing stuff is BOOOOOORING, but he did a great job on The Beatings' Black Rays Defence LP...
Posted: May 23, 2008 9:02 am

I'd rather see Ride.
Posted: May 23, 2008 9:10 am

i saw ride in houston in 92. they kicked ass.
Posted: May 23, 2008 9:25 am | Edited by: eric o

this just in from some rag called NME:

SHIELDS TOUR TO HIGHLIGHT ALL ACCOUSTIC SET
Posted: May 23, 2008 9:38 am

Kevin Shields sounds like a Goner . A buddy of mine was in a band with Jimi, Kevins brother and Kevin was staying with Jimi for awhile. My buddy said Kevin did nothing for 2 weeks except sit around in his underwear, smoke pot and watch Jerry Springer.

That buddy isn't Paul is it?
Posted: May 29, 2008 12:00 pm

chicago is sold out
Posted: May 29, 2008 12:54 pm

blame one Pitchfork review for turning what should be a $15 "reunion" gig into the $50 hipster event-of-the-decade.

Bulllllllll shit. I'd pay that and more to see MBV. Loveless still holds up as a absolute mindfucker.
Posted: May 29, 2008 1:37 pm

SPBT vs My Bloody Valentine (noise rock rules)

or
Nick cave vs Tom Waits (who is more expensive)
Posted: May 29, 2008 2:00 pm

That buddy isn't Paul is it?

No, Chris P******l

I saw Sonic Boom mentioned above...I was a huge fan until my band went on tour with Spectrum in '97...yawn fart yawn...same set everynight, boring. Although hangin out with Willie Caruthers was cool, funny dude....
Posted: May 29, 2008 2:08 pm

sonic boom and all things spectrum/spiritualized(except for lazer guided melodies)=totally boring bullshit. Jason Spaceman? gimme a fuckin break.

SHIELDS TOUR TO HIGHLIGHT ALL ACCOUSTIC SET
the link won't work for me and I can't find any info that proves or disproves this headline but I for one say HELL YES. In fact I'd shell out just as much as I already have (and more) on an all acoustic set.
Posted: May 29, 2008 2:45 pm

i beg to differ. i saw spiritiualized in dallas with vinyl ritchie and was very pleased. maybe yer on the wrong drugs. i just picked up the new spiritualized today.
Posted: May 29, 2008 3:14 pm

I hear you. that stuff just aint my jam and spacemen 3 always bugged me.
Posted: May 29, 2008 4:29 pm

I can score some drugs and plug my guitar into a super effects rack down at the guitar center for way less than $100
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 9:02 am

ps. Swervedriver KILLED last night.
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 3:01 pm

i just picked up the new spiritualized today.

and it SUCKS!!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®