Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / economic stimulus check - whoops
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:06 am

so, i've been under the impression i will soon be getting $600 from the feds via my so-called economic stimulus check.

but i didn't read the fine print & i bet most others didn't, too.

most everyone will get at least $300. but you only get the other $300 if you had to pay additional taxes when you filed this year. in other words, if you received a return from the feds this year, no extra $300 for you.

that sucks.
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:13 am

wha? LAME!
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:15 am | Edited by: dustymedical

that seems weird, considering ... don't your exemptions (that YOU pick) decide how much is taken out during the year.. meaning if you already paid your taxes throughout the year, and get a refund, you're penalized and don't get the other $300? but if you were a slacker and had less taxes taken out, so you owe, then they give you another $300?

got a link to prove this?
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:17 am

ok - my wife re-did the numbers and maybe we are getting $600/each.

i don't know what to think. this all comes as a result of an e-mail from a friend who received only $300, did some digging/reading & discovered what i posted above.

so, hopefully everyone's getting their $600. but maybe not.

carry on.
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:20 am

but the plane ticket i need to buy is 539!
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:22 am

way to stimulate that economy, steph
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:23 am

i know. i rule.
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:23 am

you're a true patriot.
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:28 am

if you get a refund, what that means is that you paid too much in taxes during the course of the year. what it means to me is that you gave the government an interest free loan on that money - no matter what the amount is.

the "stimulus" check is supposedly not related to your income or tax bracket - apart from having to have earned $3,000 and filed a return, right? WTF?

if you PAY additional tax when you file, it means you didn't front the government any money and now they're collecting what they say you owe.

since i never ever get a refund anymore, my stimulus check only makes a dent in what i owed the IRS in the first place... doesn't matter how much it is.... it'll just go to my next quarterly tax payment anyway.

still - the government is retarded. talk about your smoke & mirrors.
according to all i've read, based on the last 2 numbers of my ss#, my check will be sent on may 9. we'll see...
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:43 am

Stimulate this, Mr. Taxman!
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:43 am | Edited by: m t millionaire

check is supposedly not related to your income

I thought I read that if your income was over a certain level (70K maybe?) that you are not eligible. I could be wrong.
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:47 am

i got my $300 yesterday....and i spent it all by this morning.
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:09 am

I made a mistake and did not sign up for direct deposit this year and based on my SS#, it will be June before we know. I can tell you now if we don't get $1200, we will be screwed.
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:12 am

thanks to EIC many people get refunds that are far more than what they actually pay in taxes.
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:40 am

hey vas --

any particular reason you got $300 instead of $600? were you expecting $600?
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:11 pm

Does anybody know if this "rebate" will have to be paid back in April 2009?

i.e., it's just an advance refund if you're entitled in the first place?

I recall that happening a few years back.
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:53 pm

my understanding is this $$$ will need to be reported as income but it won't be taxable income.
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:58 pm

Here's a link to the stimulus calculator
http://www.irs.gov/app/espc/
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:58 pm

my understanding is this $$$ will need to be reported as income but it won't be taxable income.

is that why it was "$600" in the first place? because $600 is the threshold for income from being taxable or not...

perhaps i should start having an accountant do my taxes again; i don't get this - but maybe that was the plan to begin with
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:05 pm

Just did the calculator. Pretty easy if you've got your tax return handy. Looks like I'll be getting the $600
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:50 pm

YES! 1200! We'll be able to house ourselves, eat and drive for one month. Go economy!
Posted: May 1, 2008 2:00 pm

is that why it was "$600" in the first place? because $600 is the threshold for income from being taxable or not...

no idea but that does make sense
Posted: May 1, 2008 2:10 pm

Isn't this just an advance on next years returns?

This shit is shady, if you ask me.
Posted: May 1, 2008 2:14 pm

who's the real SHIT SHADY!
Posted: May 1, 2008 2:23 pm

chicka chicka
Posted: May 1, 2008 2:48 pm

Can't wait to get my PS3-GTAIV check, er, stimulus check...
Posted: May 1, 2008 4:04 pm

How to use Your IRS Rebate check

As you may have heard, the Bush
Administration said each of us would get a
rebate check to stimulate the economy.

If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China. If we spend it on gasoline it will go to the Arabs. If we purchase a computer, it will go to India. If we purchase fruit and vegetables, it will go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala. If we purchase a good car, it will go to Japan.

If we purchase useless stuff, it will go to Taiwan and none of it
will help the American economy.

We need to keep that money here in America. The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it at yard sales, since those are the only businesses still in the U.S.
Posted: May 1, 2008 4:08 pm

Bullshit.
Tattoos!
Posted: May 1, 2008 4:34 pm

beer, booze, and the butcher shop. oh yeah, hookers and hippie love weed.
Posted: May 1, 2008 4:47 pm

As you may have heard, the Bush
Administration said each of us would get a
rebate check to stimulate the economy.

If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China. If we spend it on gasoline it will go to the Arabs. If we purchase a computer, it will go to India. If we purchase fruit and vegetables, it will go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala. If we purchase a good car, it will go to Japan.

If we purchase useless stuff, it will go to Taiwan and none of it
will help the American economy.

We need to keep that money here in America. The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it at yard sales, since those are the only businesses still in the U.S.

FUCKIN' GREAT!
Posted: May 1, 2008 5:54 pm

The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it at yard sales, since those are the only businesses still in the U.S.

Could be the best time since xmas to sell off your collectibles on eBay.
Posted: May 1, 2008 6:00 pm

you're unpatriotic, it's time to buy, buy, buy!!!
Posted: May 1, 2008 6:11 pm

I heard on Marketplace Money that it is not a "front" on 2008 taxes, that you may have to report it, but you don't have to pay taxes on it. Here's the link:
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/04/10/taxes_q/URL
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:32 pm

Buy Vinyl....
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:35 pm

Can't wait to get my PS3-GTAIV check

One of the Tunnel of Love dudes does artwork for GTA. So it's right back into the scene dude. Totally.
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:52 pm

This is all a ploy to get everyone catalogued. People with individual tax id numbers for themselves, a spouse or children, will not receive the payment. If they get a soc # though, they will receive the payment next year. I found that reading their frequently asked ?s.
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:04 am

NO$$$$?!?!SMASH!!!!!
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:05 am

smashsmashsmash
Posted: May 2, 2008 8:11 am

$1800
Posted: May 2, 2008 10:55 am

$1800
You got dependents? Is that how that works?
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:05 pm

Very kind, and they reminded me that actually, the last time the federal government issued checks, back in 2001,the stimulus was indeed an advance, of sorts, on the Bush administration's tax cuts. The bottom line went from 15 percent 10 percent. So, maybe folks are assuming that it is the same this time. It is not. This is not an advance on next year's refund.

from the Marketplace thing.

PHEW!
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:13 pm

You got dependents? Is that how that works?

Yep
Posted: May 2, 2008 4:00 pm

i got 300.
Posted: May 2, 2008 4:18 pm

Haven't gotten mine yet!!! What the fuck? If I have to budget my food consumption $$$$ in Memphis next week I'm gonna be PISSED.
Posted: May 2, 2008 4:21 pm

Posted: May 2, 2008 4:28 pm

I got $300. Damn..
Posted: May 2, 2008 4:48 pm

According to that fucking schedule mine's supposed to be deposited no later than today...still nothing though.
Posted: May 2, 2008 5:14 pm

same here
Posted: May 5, 2008 12:01 pm

I got mine today.
Posted: May 5, 2008 12:42 pm

paul any idea why you only got $300?
Posted: May 5, 2008 12:53 pm

I really have no idea. What did you get? Wanna trade?
Posted: May 5, 2008 2:08 pm

ya'll be knowin kyle, rite? he got his 600.. maybe if you make more, you get more?

i didnt sign up for direct deposit this year so ill be getting mine at the end of the month, paper form. ass.
Posted: May 5, 2008 2:58 pm

look at the "scenario" section...

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=177937,00.html
Posted: May 6, 2008 2:07 am

i'm buying a gun with my stimulus check...
Posted: May 6, 2008 2:32 am

thanks to EIC many people get refunds that are far more than what they actually pay in taxes.

yup. heheh. that's what i get. i get more money than i pay in. i made about 5000 dollars this year. i got back over 600 and now i get 300 in my economic stimulus check. as long as you have an AGI of 3k, you get a stimulus check. but the more you make and more kids you have as dependents, the more you get. unless you make an exorbitant amount of money to begin with. then you don't get shit.

i signed up for direct deposit. can't wait to blow it on payin' back my credit card. booooo. :P
Posted: May 6, 2008 2:56 am

I didn't do my taxes yet...

But they say you just gotta file by Nov.
Posted: May 6, 2008 10:10 am

Got $600 yesterday!
Whoo! Tattoos!

And rear brakes. Boo.
Posted: May 7, 2008 7:35 pm

Mine has not come yet. I even did my taxes this year. Last year I didn't file, even though I was getting a rebate, but I did send them a bill for my mispent tax money. Audaciously lazy purhaps. Still, I have been properly catalogued and I want my money.
05 and I filed on time.
Posted: May 8, 2008 12:49 am

And rear brakes. Boo

Sherry, brakes should be a whoohoo!
especially when they save your ass, lol...
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 6:26 pm

I spent a good deal of mine at the dentist. Woohoo!
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 7:34 pm

I FINALLY GOT MINE TODAY. This along with my fat refund has made me the richest I have ever been in my life. I am just in amazement how much fucking money I have. ITS SICK.

To celebrate I bought:
The Vertebrats "Diamonds in the Rough" 7"
Kraut "Unemployed EP"
Crucified "St. Joans EP"

FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 1:26 pm

beer, booze, and the butcher shop.

Crappy corporate imports and Aldi's, right?
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:03 pm

i go to a local butcher shop for all meat purchases, they get their meat from local farms and are owned locally, and have a grocery store, not part of even a regional chain. new glarus beer is made in wisconsin, and the liquor store has their own imprint of generic liquors.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:03 pm

and farmers market for produce.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:06 pm

I spent a good deal of mine at the dentist. Woohoo!

Ugggh, I should do that. but I'm just gonna let 'em all rot outta my jaws.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:09 pm | Edited by: dale

go to a local butcher shop for all meat purchases, they get their meat from local farms and are owned locally, and have a grocery store, not part of even a regional chain.

After you got called out...

I thought New Glarus was too sweet but that Heineken light was a good deal.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:13 pm

haha heineken light, fuck that shit. hey, i still go to aldis from time to time, the brats we ate camping were from aldis. i've been going to the same butcher shop for years, i just dont dig their brats. their custom cuts rule though, especially thick cut bone in country style ribs.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:30 pm

It is cool you've totally changed over/completely turned a new leaf in little over than two months in your food consumerism. I took me years to do it as much as I do now due to income, location etc (the last 5 or so it has been where we've totally been able to do it full on).

We "buy" a cow. Raised by a hippie farmer then cut to our preference. Kicks ass having a deep freezer.

Us and my in-laws went in on this "subscription" deal for the summer. Pricey upfront but worth it.

Also whatever gardening at home. I raise some kick ass tomatoes. The corner market takes a bunch from me every week when they are ready. I feed the whole damn neighborhood with 'em now.

I still gotta do the evil that is the giant store for day to day stuff. Got kids. Try to do Meijers over Krogers. Cuz it's Michigan owned. I do have two specialty family owned markets for particular things too that are part of the weekly budget too.

Went to buy some new yard tools. It's a bitch to find US made products. Found a US made rake and shovel none the less (at a mom & pop hardware store. It wasn't all that more expensive and I rode my bike there and back.

Whatever. I still think the newer BradX is more a contrarian roleplay than anything else.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:39 pm

we have a buncha vegetables grown and ready to transplant. ive always gotten my meat from the butcher and tried to shop local when possible. not sure what you mean, theres not much of a change in my food consumerism at all. i still enjoy heineken from time to time or aldis brats.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:44 pm

Us and my in-laws went in on this "subscription" deal for the summer. Pricey upfront but worth it.

Forgot the link.
http://www.maplecreekfarm.com/index.html

ive always gotten my meat from the butcher and tried to shop local when possible. not sure what you mean, theres not much of a change in my food consumerism at all. i

Sorry, it just seems you've always pulled off this sorta po' folk/low-rent/junk food thing for so long that maybe it was just an assumption. You never made much comment on it either way til people started ribbing you about it.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:50 pm

really? huh. my favorite ribs are cheap as shit. theyre like 1.19 a pound or something. i write on the food section fairly often, i never thought i was that into junk food. eating cheap doesnt mean eating shit.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:52 pm | Edited by: dale

But you've talked a lot of shit. They kinda go hand in hand.
We bbq'd a bunch of those cheap ribs Thursday. Good stuff. T-Bones tonight. Better stuff.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm just killing time til we head for the beach anyways.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 2:56 pm

im making spaghetti and getting some yard work done ahead of the storm. airshow today!
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 3:02 pm | Edited by: dale

I think I might be having a jam session tonight. There's also fireworks a couple miles down the road that I can watch from my backyard. Yardwork was yesterday. It thunderstormed all night so everything is well watered.

Tomorrow the cardboard yacht race. Yep. Boats made of cardboard. Big enough to fit at least one person (though I've seen some people build ones that fit up to 4). Put them in the river and see which one floats the longest. Then Stef's uncles country band is playing the beer tent.

Now if she'd only get back from garage saleing we can go.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 3:05 pm | Edited by: dale

Did you guys get storms last night? There was a massive rain band on the radar last night.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 3:07 pm

nope, it missed us.
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 3:09 pm

We're 'spose to get more tonight. Save's me on the water bill.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 12:03 pm

I'm still waiting on the $. Fuck!
Posted: Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am

This was a long time ago!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®