Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 2:10 am

I'm going to be watching a whole lot of films over the next two weeks, I'm looking for some movies where the characters are on a ship or something and they gradually become crazy and kill eachother(like "The Thing" or "Goke:Bodysnatcher From Hell")
also, movies where kids are in gangs(like "Boyz in the Hood" or "The Education of Sonny Carson")
and American movies from the 70's that aren't well known, but are entertaining in a 70's way that I don't know how to explain(like "Corvette Summer" or The Bad News Bears).
Would anybody have some suggestions?

I'm also wondering what movies Goners would consider the most wildest, craziest, freaked out psychedelic films of all time.

The movies that I'm looking forward to watching right now are "Hausu", "Carnival in the Night", "If You Were Young: Rage", "The Delinquent", "Zardoz" and "Sedmikrasky".
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 6:40 am

Knife in the Water
URL
Menace II Society
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107554/
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 7:08 am

"Hausu"

This is amazing.
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 8:52 am

American movies from the 70's that aren't well known, but are entertaining in a 70's way that I don't know how to explain(like "Corvette Summer" or The Bad News Bears).

The Chicken Chronicles

movies where kids are in gangs

Blackboard Jungle

I'm also wondering what movies Goners would consider the most wildest, craziest, freaked out psychedelic films of all time.

I'm assuming you've sen Holy Mountain already, but get everything that Mondo Macabro has released.
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 10:15 am

and American movies from the 70's that aren't well known, but are entertaining in a 70's way that I don't know how to explain(like "Corvette Summer" or The Bad News Bears).
"over the edge"
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks guys, I'm checking out those recommendations.

I'm assuming you've sen Holy Mountain already, but get everything that Mondo Macabro has released.
Actually I'm planning on watching it during the next few weeks. I got the box set awhile ago, but haven't had time to watch all these films, so I'm just going to watch them all at once.

That link reminded me that you're probably the Bollywood expert around here, and I've never seen a Bollywood film, though I think I'd like them alot. What are your favourites?
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 11:13 am

most wildest, craziest, freaked out psychedelic films of all time.

El Topo
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 11:31 am

That link reminded me that you're probably the Bollywood expert around here, and I've never seen a Bollywood film, though I think I'd like them alot. What are your favourites?

i've only seen about three bollywood films. i think most of them are probably crap. shalimar is pretty cool.
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 11:43 am

wildest, craziest, freaked out psychedelic films of all time.

Blow Up
I am Cuba
O Lucky Man
Don't Look Now
Cabeza de Vaca
Mary Poppins on the right substances
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 12:09 pm

i've only seen about three bollywood films.
Really? Then is it mainly the soundtracks that you dig?

I am Cuba
I just watched the trailer for this and it looks really interesting.

I also want to watch some Steve Mcqueen films, I've only seen "Magnificent Seven" and bits of "Bullit". Is "Bullit" his best work?
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 12:15 pm

I also want to watch some Steve Mcqueen films,

"the getaway" is good
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 12:39 pm

I just watched the trailer for this and it looks really interesting.

Maybe for the first 2 hours, the second 2 hours are kind of a snooze.

Howbout Bacchanale?
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 1:02 pm

awesome 70s movies

cruisin - al pacino is a cop who has to go undercover in the gay leather daddy scene in nyc

panic in needle park - another al pacino where he's a fucked up heroin addict in nyc

pasqualino settebelleze (seven beauties) - italian guy has 7 fat ugly sisters and there is also a holocaust angle that involves seducing a fat german lady

koko the talking gorilla - 70s doc on that gorilla that can do sign language. kind of hilarious but like over all a really good movie. especially when the doctor tells koko that she "has a nice body"

souffle au coeur (murmur of the heart) - 1960s kid whos kind of a genius living in dijon, france. its a comedy with an incest angle. i cant recommend this movie more
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 1:06 pm

OH also for another creepy psychedelic 70s movie: "3 women" by robert altman. sissy spacek as a total creep who becomes infatuated with shelly duvall. everything in the movie is like that seventies piss yellow, its really cool
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Badlands!
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 1:44 pm

OH also for another creepy psychedelic 70s movie: "3 women" by robert altman. sissy spacek as a total creep who becomes infatuated with shelly duvall. everything in the movie is like that seventies piss yellow, its really cool

YESSSSS! Love this one.

i've only seen about three bollywood films.
Really? Then is it mainly the soundtracks that you dig?

yeah, i even like alot of the ones that aren't really so good. i get get into some banghra and shit.
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Rock-n-Roll Highschool
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 2:23 pm

I also want to watch some Steve Mcqueen films, I've only seen "Magnificent Seven" and bits of "Bullit". Is "Bullit" his best work?
The Great Escape is a must-see and one of the best WWII movies ever. It's got McQueen, Bronson, James Garner, and James Coburn. How could it not rule?

And check out The Wanderers. It fits the bill for a gang film and enjoyable 70's movie.
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Check out "Payday" starring Rip Torn : "If you can't smoke it, drink it, spend it or love it... forget it."
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 6:32 pm

Asian Fever # 23 is pretty good, check it!
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 7:09 pm

souffle au coeur
This looks like fun.
everything in the movie is like that seventies piss yellow
This is one of the many qualities in a 70's movie that I didn't think I coud explain.
Badlands!
Thanks! I'll check this one out.
Rock-n-Roll Highschool
Yeah, this is definetly the kind of 70's film I'm talking about, how about "Cotton Candy", I haven't seen it yet, it also has Clint Howard(Eaglebauer).
The Wanderers
Yeah, I've wanted to watch this one for awhile too.

Has anyone seen "Il Ras Del Quartiere", I've just watched a few clips on youtube.
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 7:24 pm

The Wanderers
Yeah, I've wanted to watch this one for awhile too.

a fave
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 7:32 pm

mcqueen does not make many good movies; his choice of scripts is pretty lame

jr bionner
reivers

peckinpah, then faulkner

conversation
thieves like us
california split
two lane blacktop
5 easy pieces
klute
mccabe
the ruling class
suspiria
chinatown
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Spider's Strategem
if
The Devil, Probably
The Legend of Kaspar Hauser

my fave decade of movies
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 11:24 pm

As long as we're deviating from the topic...

Dog Day Afternoon is pretty slow but worth watching
French Connection is great
Parallax View

Fitzcarraldo for fucked up too. Watch "My Best Fiend" (the documentary about Herzog and Kinski's relationship) as a sequel. The Herzog version of Nosferatu is trippy (Popol Vuh soundtrack) or watch the original with Merzbow as your accompaniment. And watch Fearless Vampire Killers.

You will like Zardoz.
Posted: May 1, 2008 5:49 pm

movies where kids are in gangs
Blood In, Blood Out

Make sure you have time though. It's 3 hours long!
Posted: May 1, 2008 5:50 pm | Edited by: a cobb

P.S. Zardoz! Fuck yeah!
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:28 am

P.S. Zardoz! Fuck yeah!

that movie absolutely blew my fucking head off the first time I saw it and it still does every time; I bought the VHS of that at my local Blockbuster probably ten years ago for a dollar and had no idea what it was, but wow...

I even saw it on a midnight show years ago now and it was great to see it on the big(ger) screen; which reminds me, on an unrelated note, now I wanna watch Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song again (which I saw for the first time at that same theater, also on a midnight show)
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:36 am

wot, nobody mentioned that Coffin Joe movie Awakening Of the Beast?! I can't believe that, 'cause that is just about thee most fucked up movie I have ever had the pleasure of watching (I thought that even El Topo was tame compared to this shit)- the title refers to taking LSD and general degeneracy in Brazil and it was so wild/ controversial that it was not even released until 1984! (it was made in 1968)

it's in Portuguese, though, so if subtitles don't bother you I guess you're good to go; like an idiot, I sold my Coffin Joe DVD box set on Amazon- I really should buy that back, 'cause I love Coffin Joe
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:39 am

A little more 70s grit:

Prime Cut
Cockfighter
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

Cockfighter and Alfredo's Head both came out in 1974, I think. Good year for Warren Oates.
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:42 am

Death Wish
Posted: May 2, 2008 1:11 am

Cool As Ice
Posted: May 2, 2008 1:11 am

my fave decade of movies
Thanks, I haven't heard of most of those movies.
Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song
Yeah! I found out about this a few days ago, and it's one of the films I'm planning on watching.
A little more 70s grit:
Cool, haven't heard of any of those, I'll check them out.
Coffin Joe
I've been wanting to see some of these, your description of Awakening Of the Beast has intrigued me.
Posted: May 2, 2008 3:51 am

Prime Cut
Just saw this movie for the first time the other day... totally great! Was Gene Hackman ever young?
Posted: May 2, 2008 3:59 am

haha

can't believe it
I'm looking up Dr Orloff to see if that boxset is worth the money on google and what do I find

http://www.drorloff.com/

HIGH LARIOUS
Posted: May 4, 2008 12:50 am

So far I've watched "Hausu", "Carnival in the Night", "Shuffle", "Denchu Kozo No Boken" and "Funeral Parade of Roses" in the past two days. "Hausu" was really good, but it was difficult to process the awesomness of the film. "Carnival in the Night" was really excellent!

Anyhow, this is the first time I've burned DVDs before, and whatever I'm doing is cutting off the last few minutes of the films that are longer than an hour. Does anyone with more experience have an idea what might be the problem?

So, back to movies, how about movies where kids take over. "Over the Edge" was already mentioned, and I can think of "House Arrest", "Camp Nowhere"...Those types of movies seemed to be appealing in the 90's.
Posted: May 4, 2008 2:58 am

how about movies where kids take over.

Just for the Hell of It.
Posted: May 4, 2008 11:07 am

Village Of The Giants
Posted: May 5, 2008 1:54 am

"Who Can Kill A Child?" is pretty darn great
Posted: May 5, 2008 2:26 am

Primer
Magic Christian
The Party
I Love You, Alice B. Toklas!
O Lucky Man!
Posted: May 5, 2008 2:30 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Someone mentioned "If" earlier. Mebbe I'm not enough of an Anglophile to get it, or mebbe I'm just not turned on enough by gay teacher-student love, but I found "If" a total yawn...
Posted: May 5, 2008 3:12 am

I just put Primer in there cuz I'm a Sci-Fi freak and earlier mentions of Prime Cut reminded me of it.

If you like primer, get Gattaca, and Equilibrium, Children of Men, and a buncha other stuff, which I'll list if you're down with the sci-fi.

Don't miss Logan's Run or They Live or...Alien, or Red Planet, or....
Posted: May 5, 2008 3:15 am

You should REALLY check out the movie that is my screenname. It is one of the finest ever!
Posted: May 5, 2008 3:22 am

Oh, and "The Chilling" starring Linda Blair! soooo gooood
Posted: May 5, 2008 3:23 am

Turistas
Posted: May 5, 2008 3:24 am

I guess I'm wandering, but there are many good movies out there....
Posted: May 5, 2008 3:26 am

I'm gonna watch Turistas right now cuz I'm addicted to that movie. Need to see it every 6 months for the rest of my life!
Posted: May 5, 2008 3:31 am

Someone earlier mentioned "Two lane Blacktop" that's another movie to kill all other movies. The car is so hot!

Check out "White Lightning" if you like 2-lane...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®