Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Death of The Scene Bar in L.A.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 3:37 pm | Edited by: gore

In 2003, after bouncing from venue to venue trying to put on the best rock n roll shows I could, I found The Scene Bar. A toothless rummy bar with a stage and no clientele.

We had some great times, and killer shows there. I am sad to say that it has been sold and is changing for good.

This Saturday is my last show there. It's gonna be a blast!!

Thanks to all the bands that have played there and all the great people that came out and supported over the years. I hope you had fun.

bands book a show there at your own discretion.

Check out the brand new website! GAG!

http://www.thescenebar.com
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Good lord, those things hit me right in the face as the page loaded.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 4:04 pm

that fucking sucks. had some good times there. keep us updated on any new venues...
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 4:11 pm

brand new website!

looks rad!
i bet hot chicks like
that would never set foot in
the old Scene!
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 5:02 pm

looks rad!
i bet hot chicks like
the old Scene!

not for free
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 9:25 pm

remember when the carbonas and beat beat beat played there the night of my grandma's funeral? what a lousy show.

good luck finding new digs, dude.
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 3:08 am

oh no! how horrible... i remember seeing the angry angles there when i first moved here from brooklyn. i should stayed there. this is exactly why i don't like it here...
but i will be there on Saturday!
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 4:28 am

are those sluts for free?
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 9:46 am

that place was fun
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 11:48 am

i should stayed there. this is exactly why i don't like it here...

don't lose hope...where there's a will there's a way.

We're doing The Trashwomen show at Mr.T's...been there yet?
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:21 pm

are those sluts for free?

I think you have to be a "member". Ugh.
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 2:13 pm

"The Scene was started as club primarily dedicated to fostering new bands in the Los Angeles Area in 2002. Led by it initial founders Carl Lofgren, Dave Neupert, and Matthew Barney, the club enjoyed success as a haven for bands like the Bronx, the Melvins, 400 Blows, Circle Jerks, and the Silversun Pickups"

What an impressive list of up-and-coming young talent!
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 3:25 pm

up-and-coming

Let's face it, certain kinds of music attract the cheapskates and bars just don't want them there.

It's a shame The Scene has gone for disco tits but I was never there when it was crowded and Glendale is a pretty unlikely location.

Still, hope you can get it together at some other unlikely venue off the hipsters' radar screen, 'cause those people are the ones who kill scenes.
LA is a great rock 'n roll town so have faith Gore
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 4:46 pm

in 2002, the Circle Jerks and Melvins were not up-and-coming... they were old timers getting together again.

its too bad the new owners are who they are.

good luck edgar! your shows have been killer
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 5:16 pm

THAT'S A DRAG.
Hopefully i'll make it there on Saturday.
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 5:19 pm

looks rad!
i bet hot chicks like
the old Scene!

Apparently those chick were around for the metal nights. Shared this with an office mate, who said "those chicks are always there"

ICK
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 5:21 pm

THAT'S A DRAG.
Hopefully i'll make it there on Saturday.

I hope you do!

here's a list of some of the bands that played there. I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton!

The Spits
Lost Sounds
Reatards
Tokyo Electron
Angry Angles
Demolition Doll Rods
Immortal Lee County Killers
Pure Country Gold
Rat Traps
The Black Lips
The Red Onions
BBQ
Demon's Claws
The Atoms
River City Tanlines
Slim Higgins & Mr. Juvenile Hall
Black Time
The Feelers
Dan Melchior
The Skullening
Indian Jewelry
The Starvations
The Holy Kiss
Times New Viking
The Neins
The Nightslaves
Human Eye
Armitage Shanks
Intelligence
Tractor Sex Fatality
The Blowtops
The Leather Uppers
The Goodnight Lovin
Night Terrors
Carbonas
John Schooley
Lazy Cowgirls
The Vooduo
DC Snipers
The Golden Boys
CoCoComa
Two Tears
A-Frames
The Rippers
The Hitchhikers
Crash Normal
Flash Express
Reverend Beat Man
The Starvations
The Chopsticks
'76 Charger
Live Fast Die!
Sonny Vincent(The Testors)
The Seeds
Turpentine Brothers
Headache City
The Lamps
Haunted George
Thee Cormans
The Black
The Husbands
The Slighted
Plastic Letters
The Guilty Hearts
Posted: Apr 26, 2008 12:16 pm

sounds like lamps will not be playing there...

(from their new website)

THIS DOES NOT MEAN WE WON'T CONSIDER YOUR ACT OR BAND! It just won't be as easy to get a gig at the SCENE anymore. However it does mean that if we book you, than you're damn good!

edgar - this is a bummer - looking over that list guilty hearts and lamps have played on a whole lot of those shows...rip good times at the scene. thanks for all of your hard work putting shows together. - josh
Posted: Apr 26, 2008 12:42 pm

don't lose hope...where there's a will there's a way.

We're doing The Trashwomen show at Mr.T's...been there yet?

I'll try not to lose hope, but those girls remind me of when i worked behind the orange curtain, and that alays gives me a baaaad feelin'

I have been to mr. T's for the last boss hoss extravaganza. I will definitely be at the trashwomen as tina is an old buddy from SF
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 4:01 pm

GOD DAMMIT!!! That was a really beautiful room w/ a great tiny stage. Quality intimate digs like that can be hard to come by,they definitely aren't being made now... RIP.

But i think you'll find another place in the future. It may be getting Gentrified as hell like (almost?) everywhere else,but LA's a gigantic city and they haven't bulldozed all the Old Man Bars yet!

Keep The Faith,gore!!!
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 5:55 pm

lamps have played on a whole lot of those shows

really bummed they weren't on that carbonas bill. monty was even there, too. i've seen the guilty hearts, but i'll probably never get to see the lamps.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 6:26 pm

And don't forget the eats that were down the street.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 11:58 am

And don't forget the eats that were down the street.

ZANKOU RULES!

Saturday was an absolute BLAST! The show sold out by 11:30...I had to double fist all night so I could actually have a beer. The bands were great!

I couldn't have asked for a better show!
Posted: Oct 12, 2015 5:24 pm

7 years ago...crazings!
Posted: Oct 14, 2015 4:21 pm

never mind that ... what has replaced "The Scene"?

everytime I go down there, I'm like, WTF? Where's the guitar bands, man? I don't want to drive down to Long Beach!
Posted: Oct 22, 2015 11:48 am

damn!!! GORE!!! Woah! I just like damn...woah. crazings

the scene has been forever irreplaceable. nothing has been as solid or as cool since. my opinion.

There are a bunch of places having shows now. lots of competition. the redwood has tried to be the next one but, it's just not sadly. it's also the group of peeps that were regular show goers has changed and the NOW group of peeps arent as tightly knit.

the echo and echoplex have bunches of bands. there are a bunch of little places that arent even bars having shows too. and the eagle rock bowling alley is having shows again.
I'm stoned and shit
bye
Posted: Nov 3, 2015 12:01 pm

The Scene was a great venue. I was mostly happy to DJ a bunch of shows there, including the Jay Reatard one -- right on the heels of Blood Visions -- which was pretty memorable. Black Time killed it there. We did an interview outside the venue just before their set that I won't forget. Best show I remember seeing, though, was Lost Sounds just before they imploded. I still remember that show well -- people in the crowd and their reactions. I don't think I've come across a better venue, period. I was probably too young to appreciate it then, but in hindsight I recognize it for being a really special venue and time. After the change of management/booking/whatever lead to its demise, I never went back.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®