Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Record Store Day
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 6:21 pm

I think it was pretty much just a CIMS promotion for their members but I took the 45 mile trip and hit Record Time in Roseville (which was my place of employment for quite a long time) today and dropped over a 100 bucks. It had been a long time since I had been in an actual record store because there's none around here and I get most of through on line places. I think I'm gonna take another trip soon.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 7:16 pm

you know - i was wondering about record store day (i blogged about it anyway - look at punkturns30.com for pix of eric, zac & hoppe!)

- only 2 people i know who own record stores were doing the "official" partay - and i went to grimey's (in nashville) record store day parking lot party today. they had live music in the parking lot, screened music & indie film dvd's in the basement and there was a shit ton of people buying stuff.... and i like to see people buying stuff in record stores!

i had to run over to the film festival for clients & work, but since i'm the kind of shopper who goes to a store right when it opens in order to avoid being in a store with other customers... not being able to take the time to go through the bins because of the crowd didn't bother me.

but its really really great to see a crowded record store.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 7:19 pm

but its really really great to see a crowded record store.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 8:01 pm

its really really great to see a crowded record store

Exactly! I worked at the place I was at from the mid 90's to the mid 00's and saw the sales slow year by year but today being in there I said to some of the old stand buy's that have been working there for years "It looks like a Saturday from the good old days."

It made me almost want to work in a record store again.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 8:09 pm

my favorite crowded places are as follows:
house shows
rec stores
locally owned guitar (consignment and otherwise) shops
locally owned hole in the wall diners/cafes/resturants, even more so when its really late at night
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 8:39 pm

I think it was pretty much just a CIMS promotion

Waterloo is the only CIMS store, but every single record store in Austin participated and all gave 10% discounts if you showed the receipt of another store for that day....at Waterloo we dragged about 3000+ records outside and did 2 for $1 for a few hours then lowered it to 4 for $1......I personally bought about a dozen...we were packed, almost like the holidays...
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 11:25 am

I'm as big a record store booster as anyone, but this whole promotion just reeks of desperation and to me the big crowds are all the more depressing because everyone knows its a one-time thing. I wish I could be more optimistic about the future of the record store, but...
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 3:15 pm

and i thought i was cynical
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 3:43 pm

The Legendary Stardust Cowboy was supposed to play at Streetlight but he still hadn't showed up by the time I left

I bought some records, though
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 4:25 pm

I bought three used Queen LPs on 'Record Store Day', and I got a bag full of free sampler CDs and a couple of vinyl compilation LPs (Columbia records and Legacy)... The sleeve says: RECORD STORE DAY on it.
I even got a Sub Pop sampler.

I'm not sure how that is supposed to get more people to buy from record stores ..... I already shop at the local record shops, so I don't need freebies to keep me coming back
... they aren't going to win over any NEW customers with giving out free junk.
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 4:41 pm

It seems like "Free Comic Book Day" was something of a template/inspiration for this. For a first effort, it seemed like stores did a pretty good job of it that yielded a lot more success than FCB day for its first several years. For the most part, it would appear that something like this isn't for the folks who already are regulars---it's all about kids who primarily download their music and folks who have gotten out of the habit of going to their local shop on a consistent basis.
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 4:55 pm

it's all about kids who primarily download their music and folks who have gotten out of the habit of going to their local shop on a consistent basis.

yeah - but are free sample cds going to draw customers in??
Not going to happen.
Record stores need to sell MP3s to people who haven't discovered soulseek yet....
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 5:01 pm

... they aren't going to win over any NEW customers with giving out free junk.

that theory is proved wrong by drug dealers every single day.
seriously.... we used this "drug dealer model" all the time when i worked at Viacom... which didn't get to be the biggest media company in the world by giving shit away.

the people who read and post on this board are NOT the average record buyer. MOST people will venture somewhere to get something for free. statistically, enough people lured in by freebies WILL buy something else and will become customers.

we are not those people, obviously. we already buy records.
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 5:08 pm

I think record companies should start selling affordable turntables and sell vinyl. college kids and hipsters think its cool. do you ever see more than one person at a time in Best Buy (etc) browsing the CD section anymore???
NOPE, they're at home downloading.
People still buy DVDs though, its only a matter of time before they are fucked too.
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 5:10 pm

that theory is proved wrong by drug dealers every single day.
A few years ago not that many people downloaded music.
today its out of control.
Kids don't want free CD samplers, they'll just download the entire album for free!!!
little fucking crooks!
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 5:38 pm

i don't know about elsewhere, but my pal mike grimes, who owns grimey's, the record store in nashville told me a while ago that vinyl outsells CDs in his store by a long shot - not just used records but new releases that come out on vinyl and the vinyl that moves the most for him are 7"s

that tells me that the little guys - the bands themselves who press up their own singles, and the small indie companies - are the ones who are moving units (at least in this store)... not the record companies - the bmg/sony's, the Warner Music group, the EMI's etc

according to retail statistics, brick and mortar stores don't move anywhere as much product as amazon (or iTunes)... which explains why you don't see people browsing CDs at best buy, where they are probably overpriced anyway. i remember a statistic not long ago that WALMART sold more music than all the other general merchandise selling box stores. that's pretty creepy to me.
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 5:44 pm

everyone asked us what we were doing for "Record Store Day."

Trying to stay in business, just like any other day.

shoulda tried to capitalize on it... since some "normals" probably would like to keep us around but need a phoney day to get out.

we had a good weekend anyway, due more to the weather and tax refund dreams than anything else, i think.

however -

thanks to everyone who goes to or orders from record stores... we love you!
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 11:11 pm

I agree that it was a ploy of sorts and the free shit didn't matter to me (but I took it none the less them dropped it off at the suffering library radio station I do stuff for/at) but everything was on sale and I used to work at the place. It did get me into an actual record store for the first time in a couple of years though-so mission accomplished.
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 1:22 am

Every store in Austin that I talked to did 20-50% more business on Saturday than normal....fuck it if it's made up, florists and chicks love Valentines day....
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 8:29 am | Edited by: CS Eunuch

A lot of labels are putting their stuff on vinyl that comes with a password for a free download of the album on mp3, which I think is genius. There's also been a trend of major labels releasing their albums on limited 180 gram vinyl too. If you look at the SoundScan numbers, vinyl has seen a percentage increase in the past few years while CD sales continue to plummet.

Our local store BeBop did a Record Store Day thing here with a bunch of local bands playing and it was a blast. Got a bag of free shit that wasn't half bad - Sub Pop and Vice samplers, an LP Uni sampler, and some 7"s.

And yes, it's true that Walmart is the biggest CD retailer in the world... but they're also the biggest grocer, clothier, shoe seller, etc. etc.
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 8:40 am

I celebrated record store day at Used Kids in Columbus, Mike Rep/Necropolis/Vegetative State, pretty awesome. I know Zink & some others were spinning records in Green Bay, so it sounds like there were parties everywhere. Records rule!
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 11:56 am

i met a guy from a record pressing plant at grimeys... in fact, record pressing dude had raw vinyl and records in every state of progress. pretty cool show & tell stuff short of actually pressing a record before your very eyes. they had a stamper & everything. really cool to see that stuff, for me any way
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 8:39 pm

i met a guy from a record pressing plant at grimeys...

The guy that owns Musicol in Columbus will walk you through/let you sit it on the whole process, which is pretty cool.

I missed the Used Kids record store day, we were out of town. I heard it was awesome, and that due to some unfortunate collector's demise they have an amazing selection right now!
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 8:39 am

Yeah, I guess someone died and left some cool shit, but I wasn't gonna let buying records interfere with my Sparks drinking pot smoking shit talking fun. Columbus has been crazy fun both times I've been there, love that town.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 8:40 am

Weird that Used Kids lets you return records (within 5 days or something) you don't like for full credit.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 8:53 pm | Edited by: khan

[i]Mike Rep/Necropolis/Vegetative State, pretty awesome[i]

You must've missed Raven? I was really surprised he played and it was beyond whatever I thought I was expecting after hearing the Back to Ohio Blues reissue. Crazy stuff.

It was fun to see the bins stocked full like the old days.

[i]that due to some unfortunate collector's demise they have an amazing selection right now![i]

I (semi) tease my friends that all my junk will be burned with my dead corpse. That or I'll be crushed like Seymour Skinner and his newspapers in his garage before I have a say so.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 11:49 am

Missing RAVEN was the only bummer of the weekend for me. Lots of people buying stuff at Used Kids. Some of them weren't skumfucks, so maybe Record Store Day brought in newbies. Columbus is always a good time.
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Record Store Day is this Saturday, April 17 --- heard there is going to be a Velvet Underground exclusive.
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 2:52 pm

I'm going to spend that day online downloading iTunes songs!!!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 2:54 pm

i'm going to spend the day uploading ringtones!!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 4:02 pm

A friend of mine owns/runs a record store that participates in this every year - it's turned into a pretty big deal in these parts, especially because of the in-store performances ... here's list of the IRSD 'exclusive' releases at the bottom of the page ...
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 5:35 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

I'm actually scared of going to amoeba.
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 5:44 pm

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Cant wait to go shopping.
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 10:31 pm

can't wait to do something not related.
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 12:10 am

not related to what?
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 7:49 am

i think he means, not a cousin
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 10:34 am

Weird that Used Kids lets you return records (within 5 days or something) you don't like for full credit.

Treehouse does that too with the used records.
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 11:29 am

If you're near Mid-Michigan
Flat, Black & Circular (East Lansing)
is having a free show. Starts at 1pm

People's Temple
http://www.myspace.com/thepeoplestemple10

Veloura Caywood
http://www.myspace.com/missvelouracaywood
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 11:39 am

We're playing Used Kids this year for Record Store Day.

4.17 RECORD STORE DAY 2010
10% off all used stuff and bands noon to nine

arlo and the otter 12ish
time & temperature 1230ish
thousand arrows 1ish
biff boff barf 130ish
rag rag 2ish
bird & flower 230ish
super desserts 3ish
moon high 330ish
fey gods 430 or 5ish
raven 530ish
scattered needles 6ish
savage pinkos 630ish
unholy 2 7ish
necropolis 730ish
envelope 8ish
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 11:56 am

Lisa & I are DJing at Laurie's Planet Of Sound (in Chicago) from 3-5PM... we're sure to spin some of the gayest shit you've ever heard!

Plus be sure to buy the Trouble In Mind Record Store Day 4-way split 7-inch! Featuring Ty Segall, CoCoComa, White Wires, & Charlie and the Moonhearts! All doing covers! One time pressing of 1000 copies! White vinyl - ltd edition sleeve! EBAY GOLD!
Posted: Apr 16, 2010 7:45 pm

EBAY GOLD!
FUCK YEAH!!!
I flip them bitches!!
Posted: Apr 17, 2010 9:31 am

Plus be sure to buy the Trouble In Mind Record Store Day 4-way split 7-inch! Featuring Ty Segall, CoCoComa, White Wires, & Charlie and the Moonhearts! All doing covers!

Ahhhh, I really hope the local shop has this. They're good about getting T.I.M. stuff usually...
Posted: Apr 17, 2010 11:04 am

EBAY GOLD!
FUCK YEAH!!!
I flip them bitches!!

unfortunately, this is seems to be the prevailing attitude - the harder an artist works to create something unique, the more likely it is to land on a shelf in some speculator's closet
Posted: Apr 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Just Purchased Midnight Farewell to hell, Pink Fairies Kings of Oblivion and Oliver Morgan Who shot the lala 45. Gonna get tanked next. Yeah record store day!
Posted: Apr 18, 2010 3:52 pm

We got:
*Da! - LP
*Tutu & the Pirates LP - mine has a Neko Case LP in the sleeve - did anyone else's? I contacted the label, but no reply yet...
*Happy Birthday 7" - I like the songs on this better than most on the LP...
*Rodriguez 7" - great packaging! - how the holy hell could this ONLY be $5.99? Looks like it was super expensive to make!
*The Fall 7" - good on first listen...
*Soundgarden 7" - reminds me of middle school!
*Silver Apples - 'Contact' LP - didn't have this on LP... great album.
*Hapsash & the Colored Coat LP (HIPPIES.)
*Endtables 12" - only listened to it once - f'ing great though...
*Monkees - 'Head' LP - again - haven't had it on LP... now we do. Boo yah.
*Colin Blunstone 'Never Even Thought' LP - from 1978... blech - soft rock B.S., plus his voice sounds like crap... not singing like he usually does... WAY TO ELTON JOHN.
*Lovin' Spoonful - 'What's Up Tiger Lily' Sdtrk LP
*Mike Nesmith & the First National Band - 'Magnetic South' LP
*Blue Cheer 'Outsideinside' LP - more summertime jamz!
*Moon Duo/Bitchin' Bajas split 7-inch
*Tyler Jon Tyler - 'Separate Issues' b/w 'Paul' - new single on Rococo... awesome.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®