Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / This Old House
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 2:06 pm

Help me! Help me! I can't survive on my own without help from the Goner B! No, but seriously, has anyone ever had to remove hairdye staining (that is what it seems like) from old porcelain? I am fixing up our apartment in my grandmom's old house and one of the former tenants must have had a black hairdye party in the bathtub and the circa 1924 tub is hurting.

Any suggestions? Would those Magic Erasers be worth trying?
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Posted: Apr 15, 2008 2:16 pm

You sure the porcelain isn't just worn away and you're seeing the cast iron? That's what it sounds like. If that's the case then you'll have to refinish it.

Also, This Old House rules!
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 2:18 pm

Posted: Apr 15, 2008 2:22 pm

donkey's right

once i was trying to bleach out stains in a very old tub and it backfired.

i called the customer service number on the clorox bottle and they instructed me to soak heavy duty paper towels (Viva is a good one) in hydrogen peroxide and then lay those soaked paper towels over the stained areas in the tub (press down so the paper towels can "absorb" the stain) and then wipe away with another hydrogen peroxide soaked paper towel. really did work.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 2:35 pm

yes! clorox and damn bleach. anything with the bleach. i bought those erasers once and they kinda work?? hands and knees bleach was way better...
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 3:02 pm

anything with the bleach.
≠BRAYNOT!≠
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 3:34 pm

you can also mix baking soda with peroxide. let it sit for a few minutes & scrub it with a old toothbrush. This also works for getting real stubborn stain out of white t-shirts, the kind that bleach doesn't budge.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 4:34 pm

armpit stains!
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Sounds like the peroxide is a good one.

Baking soda is the stuff! I've started cleaning my stove by just dumping baking soda on all the nastiness and taking a wet sponge to that and scrubbing. It looks like new!
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 5:01 pm

yes. donkey.is.right

bleach is NOT what you think it is
bleach can bring out the underlying rust! it can also further erode already compromised enamel/porcelain

that's why clorox told me: o soak heavy duty paper towels (Viva is a good one) in hydrogen peroxide and then lay those soaked paper towels over the stained areas in the tub (press down so the paper towels can "absorb" the stain) and then wipe away with another hydrogen peroxide soaked paper towel. really did work.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 5:35 pm

You sure the porcelain isn't just worn away and you're seeing the cast iron?

Nah, this isn't the same kinda stain. It is like the porcelain is not as shiny/worn away to a small extent and then she rinsed her hair out (black or dark dye) and it remained as a stain over the worn spots.

I will try the hydro-perox method first then the Magic Erasers as this will be a BIG job. Those thingees ain't cheap.

THANKS!
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 6:03 pm

if the magic erasers are basically bleach, don't use them. try baking soda instead or oxy clean
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 6:10 pm

Look in the phonebook under "bathtub refinishing".
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 6:23 pm

armpit stains!

i don't get armpit stains..... and i don't fart either
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 7:22 pm

ok, so maybe i'm clueless with the bathtub action. no bleach then. hydrogen peroxide must be the way...
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 7:41 pm

no bleach on porcelain, jessiebelle - esp. old porcelain.

bleach will eat through the enamel and oxidize w/ the cast iron below... meaning more stains, more rust, etc.

if you have a fibreglass tub, use that foamy stuff or soft scrub
but you may as well use baking soda - its cheap and it works
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 7:54 pm

vinegar! Not a disinfectant, but helps remove all kinds of stains.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 8:06 pm

If I am not careful, I will end up blowing up the apartment.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 8:28 pm

yeah. be really mindful of mixing this n that.
You can't mix bleach and ammonia, or your bathroom will blow up.
It's so confusing and inconvienent!
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 11:48 pm

Mixing bleach and ammonia is fine unless you drink it, and even then you'd have to drink a fuckin bunch.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 12:04 pm

whew...and why did i think bleach just cleans everything? baking soda over comet? yes?
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 9:49 pm | Edited by: saispas

Anyone find those Do It Yourself Compendiums helpful?
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 12:58 am

vinegar! Not a disinfectant

Is too.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®