Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Snare batter heads...suggestions?
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm looking to replace my snare head. I play an early 70's Ludwig Supraphonic snare. Was using the Ludwig Ensemble medium coated but wanna try something new. People seem to love the Remo "Weatherking" Ambassadors......Suggestions from you drummers in Gonerland?
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 5:16 pm

Remo "Weatherking" Ambassadors
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 5:37 pm

I've used these before too and they're pretty decent.
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 5:52 pm

i use ludwig weathermasters.
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 7:31 pm

I like the Evans coated heads. We use them at the rock school and they seem to last linger than the remos.
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 7:37 pm

You should always batter the shit outta a snare drum. Hitting lightly is for Phil Collins.
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 8:12 pm

The last snare head I bought was a coated "Weather King", it was replacing a well used, long lived Evans coated head. I recorded for one weekend and I'll be God damned if by the end of that session most of the coating hadn't worn off!! I'm totally sold on the Evans!!
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 8:45 pm

i went downstairs and checked and ill be God damned, my snare has an evans head on it. dont remember buying it, no idea where it came from.
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 8:48 pm

i not only batter my heads, i also bread and deep fry them...
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 8:41 pm

"Weatherking" Ambassadors

a bit wimpy in my opinion. go for the EMPERORS. evans genera SOUND great, but don't last long. aquarian are fucking awesome as well, especially the super kick heads.
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 10:47 pm

Remo Coated Ambassador. Sure Evans last forever, but they sound like plastic forever too. Yeah, the Ambassador coating starts chipping off almost immediately, but they sound so good, especially fairly tight. If you don't use brushes they still sound great even after the coating is worn. Snare heads are cheap.
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 11:09 pm

Aquarian's are the best heads ever made.
I play an Aquarian "high energy" . It's like, 3 heavy coats of batter , first coat is plastic, then a woven kevlar type of coat, and a big dot in the middle.
These things NEVER wear out. I had one for 2 years once before I changed it.
Highly recomended for rock drumming.

here:

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/products/display.asp?id=15

mine's the one with the black ring around it. Only mine has a black dot.
I got it at Memphis Drum Shiop but you can normally
get them anywhere.
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 8:45 am

if you have the tension sync'd right you can likely use the same head for centuries, regardless of brand
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®