Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Makeup thread--part 2
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 9:33 pm

Anyone bought any killer new make up lately? Miss Linda? What was that undereye concealer pen that a few of you were raving on awhile back?
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:08 pm

i got this stuff from benefit called f.y...eye! that rules for keeping eye shadow on without creasing. that stuff and dr. feelgood, which is this balm that smooths skin out really nicely before putting on foundation or powder.

i love bare escentual's mineral eyeshadow stuff. it comes in a powder and if you put it on after you put on the benefit fyeye stuff, it stays on really nicely in really strong colors.

i need a liquid eyeliner that dries super fast because otherwise i smudge the shit out of it and make a huge mess. that whole bit there keeps me from wearing eyeliner most of the time. :( booooo.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:17 pm

And here I thought you were going to apologize for liver, broccoli and Thin Lizzy.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:19 pm

I only put eyeliner on the inside of my upper lid and use that Laura Mercier cake liner. Its a great blue shade too: http://www.lauramercier.com/products/colour/eyes/eye_liner/eye_liner/

I need some lessons though in eye shadow application. I get a bit lazy with it. Have you ever bought any makeup books that are worth a damn?
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:40 pm

my downstairs neighbor has had all my Makeup records for about two years. I need to get those back.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:41 pm

No you don't.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 11:14 pm

The NARS book"Makeup Your Mind" is fucking wonderful. LOTS of shadow ideas.
Saispas - after our last fashion show makeup chaos, I ended up with 2 of those little blender brushes in my kit...we've got tons at work so I might as well give it away....like?
The last thing I bought was a NARS eyeshadow duo called Earth Angel, a goldish green and a taupey color. I love. We carry something at work that I swear by called "undereye and lid smoother" by Bioelements. It's a liquid for the whole eye area that evens out the skin tone and also keeps shadow from smudging or fading. I don't even use concealer anymore, just that and some Benefit Eye bright iridescent pink pencil blended right into the dark crease under the eye.
I bought a Chanel red lipstick recently, nothing better than those reds.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 12:45 am

i just did some spring break shopping at mac, recycled 12 old items and got 2 new ones plus tons more...some paint pots for the eyes, about 4 new lip glosses, the liquid studio fix and some eyeshadow quad with a pink, beige, grey and cream....i think i spent 150 bucks, but they give estheticians 30% off so..eh..its okay...

saispas, i think it was the YSL touche d'eclat that everyone was loving...
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 12:53 am

saispas, colore science has some great stuff for under the eyes. you can get different colors to counteract whatever type of problems you have. i have some yellow stuff that counteracts dark circles under the eyes really nicely. it's called My Favorite Eyes Cream. there's also crystalescience eye serums b colore science which works nicely too. but i like the other one a bit better for me.

colore science also has these genie colore powdered shadow pigments too which work exceptionally nice.

their face powder product called suncanny also doubles as a sunscreen, which is nice for the summer. i still like using my mac powder the best (can't help it), but the suncanny stuff works really well and isn't as gross on my face if i happen to not remember to wash it off.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 10:36 am

Ack! Hate Colore Science! Had to work with it for 5 years at my last job, but I'd sneak my kit in for jobs whenever I could to avoid using it. Makes the skin itchy, because of the bismuth oxychloride...just not well made mineral makeup. Sorry, Elle! To each her own...
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 11:04 am

I tend to not get bad undereye stuff,; my main issue is evening out the tone. I have olive skin. I don't really wear powder or foundation, the heaviest I will do is tinted moisturizer and Laura Mercier works great with that. I think though that there are days where I need the undereye help, but like I said I am lazy about it!

I will check out that NARS book; I love their lipsticks. My all time fave is Flair.

God, I am am hungover. We didn't get home til after 4 something.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 1:58 pm

depends what you're looking for. laura mercier has my favorite foundation/concealer stuff. mac has good coverage but doesn't look as natural (on me) as laura mercier. although i finally caved to the pressure and got YSL's touche eclat and that thing is amazing. i've kind of been boycotting mac for most skincare stuff in favor of mercier because the workers are total bitches at mac. they have this whole attitude thing going that i don't really appreciate. whereas the people at laura mercier are always just flat out nice and don't make you feel dumb if you have a question. i have yet to use a benefit product i didn't love. same with nars pretty much. i've been using dior's new(ish) mascara like there's no tomorrow. i tried to go back to the cheap stuff and after a few days i couldn't take it so i went back and got dior again. sooo good. saispas, for undereye help i'd go with benefit. you'll totally notice a difference. if you want long-term stuff i'd go with estee lauder. curbing the drinking and frequency of hangovers would probably help but i understand that that's not always an option for some.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 2:08 pm

my downstairs neighbor has had all my Makeup records for about two years. I need to get those back.

They're a great band!
No shit.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 2:10 pm

What was that undereye concealer pen that a few of you were raving on awhile back?

Black Sharpie, because I'm a REAL WOMAN!!!
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 2:35 pm

You're a dirty fucking whore and you'll never amount to anything.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 3:39 pm

You love miss linda, admit it faggot!
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 3:42 pm

I love you like I love to put mascara and falsies on my dick, Covergirl.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 3:53 pm

So you DO admit it!

I knew it!
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 6:40 pm

whereas the people at laura mercier are always just flat out nice and don't make you feel dumb if you have a question.

Maybe at your counter, but the Laura Mercier people at Nordstrom here are cunt-faces, pardon my french. Got to admit, they know how to put on some makeup though and it isn't as drag queen as MAC. I like my Benefit Dallas blush so much. Best blush ever. I didn't like the Benetint stuff, but I have yet to like any of the tint blushes at all, so there you go.

I am getting that Touche Eclat and hey, why not try Dior mascara. I have only used Great Lash my entire life! I rarely wear mascara at all though; only at night. The cake eyeliner in the day is good enough.

curbing the drinking and frequency of hangovers would probably help but i understand that that's not always an option for some.

I think I have done fairly well in this regard...could always improve, but gotta have some good times!
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 1:19 am

I am getting that Touche Eclat and hey, why not try Dior mascara

Yep, do it! The concealer, fo sho. Lancome mascara is better than any other...I don't care for anything else they do, but damned if that Difinicils?Infinicils?...whatever...does not flat rule. MAC fibre lash for a cheapo fix. MAC and Bobbi Brown gel pot liners with a flat brush rule. Shu Uemura blushes and their liquid liner pen (so foolproof, I can apply it drunk). Vincent Longo lip and cheek gel stain (I only use it for lips, with lip balm or Smith's Rosebud salve on Top). I could go on and on...
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 2:35 pm

The Makeup Your Mind by NARS book is about to be purchased by me, but first, is it basic enough for someone who really is just starting to utilize different sorts of brushes? I mean, I have next to zero skill at this point.

Oooh and thanks for reminding me I need more Smith's salve!
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 2:39 pm

Question--

Favorite TWEEZERS?

(have Tweezerman slanted tips and love em, but there could be some better pair I am missing out on...)
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 3:08 pm

Triple post and this won't surpise you, my Wonder Twin, but The last thing I bought was a NARS eyeshadow duo called Earth Angel, a goldish green and a taupey color???

Me too!

(without realizing you had too, natch, knowing us it was the same damn day)
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 3:48 pm | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

I had these forever and loved them. I lost them and, bless her heart, the lady at Sally's didn't know what I was talking about when I was trying to get a replacement. She almost had me sold on these, but I found something better. I bought two of them and subsequently found my old Tweezermans, which I now keep in my car for emergencies. I'm really loving the new ones I got better, though.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 4:34 pm

We carry and use Rubis tweezers at work. Pricey, $30. LOVE!! Though I still have old Tweezerman's everywhere...home...purse etc...the Rubis are lighter and sharper. Their trimming scissors are AMAZING too...so sharp I get little cuts on my fingers all the time, but I handle them constantly, doing 20 sets of eyebrows a day sometimes......have never cut a client, by the way.

You'll do fine with the brushes...do you have a good blender? When in doubt, blend, blend, blend. And since we are Wonder Twins...I think you may find that all the best looks in that book utilize NARS's Night Fairy shadow...let me know!
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 5:20 pm

do you have a good blender

Um, no. I don't even know what it looks like or how to blend. See what I am saying? My eyeshadow is always a happy accident. I am very scared and clueless about what I am supposed to be doing...I have improved with the idea of base and contour and color...but the varied brush stuff is still way new. Someone could make good money giving make up classes.

I need a good brow wax and shaping but it is total Russian Roulette down here cos people are such fans of the single line brow; shudder. I may wait til Memphis because I bet there is at least one place that knows what to do.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 5:31 pm

skank police and laurel (and any other aesthetician lurking): What do you think about threading (i.e. brows)?
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 7:00 pm

Threading is just another method of hair removal. It's great for sensetive skin...and if you're still using the Vit A serum, or any Retinol, you probably shouldn't wax. It has nothing to do with shaping, and it hurts....feels like fast tweezing, the thread snags the hairs in rows as the twist in the thread is dragged accross the skin. My boss does it, and I'm learning, getting better...again, the benefit is less redness, and no chance of skin lifting.

I do makeup application lessons all the time...and brow shaping advice. Email me and tell me what size/shape brushes you have...and I can describe some basic stuff....
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 7:04 pm

Merci--be on the lookout!

I may try threading when I get to Memphis as I am way into the Vit A serum. I cut back on the retinol and don't use it in that area of my face anyway. There is a place that does it called-ahem-BOMBAY BEAUTY SALON over on a very weird street. Yep, run by Indians. But I have a similar brow to an Indian...
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Saispas - a lot of people don't like the salon, but my favorite waxer works there. I gave up haircuts there, but the waxes were good. You could try there. It isn't fancy, but it's right on Madison around the corner from the Buccaneer. If she fucks you up you can quickly get to a drink!
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 7:53 pm

it only lasts about 10 applications, cause I am always using it before everything else is dry, but cover girl's lash exact liquid eyeliner is pretty great. Probably better if you don't get foundation/concealer on the tip.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 8:25 pm | Edited by: saispas

Is it that Cloud 9 place? I went there when they first opened and some dyke RUINED my hair. I was dating Joe Machamer at the time and ran over to his house crying it was that fucking bad. Only Shaggy and Hank were home and Shaggy ended up fixing it as best he could! I don't think I could ever go in there again. Does that salon at the corner of Belvedere and Poplar across from Joe's do waxing? What about the salon where the girl who cuts Jeanine's hair?

Skank p--check yr email.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Does that salon at the corner of Belvedere and Poplar across from Joe's do waxing?

paggio's? yes they do.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 10:28 pm | Edited by: skank police

Yep, run by Indians. But I have a similar brow to an Indian...

Nice shape, those. Indians and Middle Easterners generally give good shape. See how the arch is set wide (far from the bridge of the nose)? This is what you want. Sexy. Also note how there is no roundness or curve on the underside line of the brow, it's an angle...all straight lines. This is softer and less severe looking than a big rainbow (Marlene Dietrich) curve. I am of the mind that the brow actually frames the cheekbones as much as the eyes. Smoothing the top line of the brow is crucial as well. The hook, comma, or tadpole is the least flattering shape...makes you look constantly concerned. I have all kinds of tricks to correct things when someone comes in with the bad shape...I have to, because it happens every day. Basically, trying to keep the fullness fairly even across and only taper the tail. Thick or thin, this is the prettiest shape. Then again, if you're not paid to do so...obsessing over your brows is rather unhealthy...100% natural is better than freakout face.
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 7:33 pm

OK, so for the YSL Touche Eclat...I have olive skin, that is presently not tan, but you know, yellow undertones...

Which color?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2797674?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=k eywordsearch&keyword=yves+st+laurent+in+All+Categories&origin=searchre sults
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Touche D'Eclat--CHECK (and yeah, the stuff is magical)

Lancome Deficils mascara in black --CHECK (AMAZING)

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20--CHECK (just loading back up; I still have 1/4 a tube left at least)

Don't ask how much money these three things totaled up to. I felt like a damn fool.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 4:25 pm

Yes, threading HURTS, but is dirt cheap (only $7 in downtown NYC!), super quick and looks really good.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 4:36 pm

I can hack the pain for beauty! Let's go Bombay Beauty Salon! I am more scared to go over to American Way for beauty needs than the prospect of two Indian beauties threading out each individual brow hair.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 6:53 pm

Imagine catching your brow hairs in a zipper over and over = threading.

Which color Touche D'Eclat did you end up with...#1 or #3?
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 9:50 pm

Imagine catching your brow hairs in a zipper over and over = threading.

OK, well, then, perhaps NO.

Which color Touche D'Eclat did you end up with...#1 or #3?

#1.
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 4:48 pm

the ysl pen rules the school. i love that damn thing...
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 5:27 pm

I don't think I have been so fascinated with a makeup item since L'Oreal Colour Riche lipstick's Saucy Mauve color, discovered circa 1986.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 10:26 am

hey, i didn't go through this whole thing to see if you guys talked about it at all, but do any of you have any suggestions for good BRONZERS? I'd drop money for a GOOD one...i seriously need something for my legs. I can't wear hose (just out of being uncomfortable) in the summer with skirts for work and I didn't really care that much before, but i swear, my legs are getting whiter as I get older...if that's even possible.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 12:03 pm

I loved the Clarins self-tanner...it is expensive but the most natural looking I ever used.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 12:08 pm

sweet. thanks.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®