Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / transferring VHS to DVD
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 8:15 am

I need to transfer a bunch of old VHS tapes to DVD as part of a project I'm working on. I looked into getting it done by pros, but that is way too expensive ($50-$100/hr).

What gear would I need to do the transfers myself? As of now, all I have is the computer (an imac). Can I just get a VCR and load the videos into my computer, as I'm doing with the audio tapes?

Thanks for any tips!
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 8:49 am

first off your computer needs to have a firewire (IEEE 1394) port to do this. all iMacs should have one, but check first just incase.

if you have a DV camcorder, you should be able to hook a VCR up to most camcorders and they will transcode the analog signal to DV and you can import it to your computer.

if not you need to buy something like this:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/pyro-av-link-basic.htm

iMac should have some built in software to do the video capture, etc.
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 9:07 am

Cool, that looks like a workable solution. Thanks, Chris!
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 11:51 am

wal mart sells standalone dvd recorders for 70 bucks.
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 1:00 pm

if you're lazy, phillips makes a deck w/ dvd playback and vhs record specifically for this kind of task. its not so cheap, however.
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 1:50 pm

my buddy got a DVD recorder and just hooked up a VCR to it. He transferred over 200 videos before he killed the recorder.

He spent $200 on the recorder at Target
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 4:31 pm

i got mine a couple years ago for 150 and it still works perfectly, hundreds of discs later. its a sony. if you want to transfer it to post on youtube or the internet direct to computer is the way to go. if you just want dvds to watch on tv though, get a standalone. its quicker and easier, much quicker, and much easier.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®