Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Seattle Recommendations
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 4:17 pm

Gonna be in Seattle in a couple weeks and need recommendations for affordable places to stay (downtown, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne), cool places to eat, record stores, roadside attractions, speakeasys, places to buy drugs...all the essentials.

Cheers,

Josh
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 2:45 am

Seattle rules. Bump.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 8:27 am

Last time I was in Seattle (2 years ago), I got a sandwich at Salumi on (in?) Pioneer Square.

That was worth the trip right there.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 8:35 am

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 9:58 am

you should shack up with tet68
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 11:32 am

Seattle rules. Bump.

Thanks, Joe!

Stayin' at the 8th Ave. Inn, a mere 1/2 mile from Shorty's.

Ith he cute???

Any shows on the 14th or 15th? Good Ethiopian/African restaurants? Goner approved record stores?
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 11:41 am

all the good places in Seattle were shut down, bull-dozed and gentrified 5 years ago.

go to enumclaw instead.

Sorry Charlies rip.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:30 pm

Good Ethiopian/African restaurants?

I went to Queen of Sheba over Thanksgiving last year, I liked it. My girlfriend used to live in Seattle and took me there because it was her favorite.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 3:46 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

chicken

If you like hamburgers late at night, you need to get a Dickburger.

Never had any Ethiopian up there.

Never ate at Shorty's, only drank.

I've yet to find bad Pho in Seattle.

Last time there I found a joint that had KILLER teriyaki chix for $5.00 - that's an awesome deal for seattle - lotsa stuff is expensive! That joint is right by Pike's market too.

I've yet to find REALLY good Mexican in SEA. Went to a taqueria in Greenlake that just about made me hurl. I've wound up at Mama's a few times, which is better for drinking than eating, if you ask me.

Places I'm dying to hit in SEA, but haven't cuz they're closed on weekends, practically the only time I'm there. Redheaded Mario's parent's Sausage joint and a couple of BBQ joints down south SEA, one in SODO, one in Georgetown, IIRC.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 4:00 pm

Than Bros is the best pho. There's great Ethiopian on 14th and Jefferson, but I can't remember the name. The hot dogs at Shorty's rule and they have tons of pinball and beer. You can't go wrong. When are you gonna be up here? I'll be on tour until probably the 21st, but I'm sure cousinb would show you around if you wanted...
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 4:01 pm

Last time there I found a joint that had KILLER teriyaki chix for $5.00 - that's an awesome deal for seattle - lotsa stuff is expensive! That joint is right by Pike's market too.

I think(?, been awhile) that place is called Osaka, on 2nd and Pike. I used to eat there everyday on my lunch break when I worked downtown...
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 4:03 pm

If you're a big fan of meat and sauce between your buns grab a big bag of Dick's.

You will thank me.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 6:06 pm

When are you gonna be up here? ...I'm sure cousinb would show you around if you wanted...

I'll be in Seattle March 14th--16th. Looks like I'll miss ya, duchess. I'd be up for a beer or 5 with cousinb, tho. My lady friend and I don't have any set plans, aside from Saturday at SAM, and a personalized tour of the local dives would be much appreciated. I'm at choyce99 at gmail dot com.

Ezell's and Dick's look great.

Josh
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 8:06 pm

Best Seattle Open face Hot Roast beef sandwich is at 5-Point. A couple of mirrors in a periscope-like formation afford a view of the Space Needle from the urinal, too.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 9:49 pm

I bet they have this place called Subway there. It's this really great submarine sandwich shop where you can choose from a number of exciting and innovative sandwich toppings. Also, the food makes you lose tons of weight.
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 4:25 am

my dick is limp
i been doing the nasty
with those morman missionaries
chained in my outhouse
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 10:47 pm

I just got back home today from a jaunt in Seattle. I recommend drinks at Shorty's, Lava Lounge, Funhouse. I used to enjoy Canterbury Ales- but I haven't been there in years.
Food- just ate at Brouard's Ale House- http://www.brouwerscafe.com/bier.html
it was excellent! And I think they're having a barleywine festival while you're there.
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 12:22 am

Oh yeah- eat at Mama's too.
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 12:28 am

Lucent sent me to work there about 6 years ago & I spent 6 months in the Marriott in front of Lake Union next to "The Hutch". I could walk to the EMP & Graceland. It was awesome!

I was standing next to Mark Arm for Television @ the EMP. I said "After this, we are going down to Graceland for Country Teasers & Bassholes." He asked "Are they really playing @ Graceland tonight". When I said "Yeah", he promptly left & didn't stick around for Television.
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 4:23 am

Graceland
sure you ain't talkin' 'bout the OK hotel
cause I was in the audience the night
they played and CT's lead singer guzzled
a 1/5th of Jack on stage.

Saw Mudhoney just yesterday shopping at the QFC (seattle Krogers)
I said "scuse me" cause he blocked my way to the pinto beans section.
They seemed rushed to get some wine and paper towels. It was dinner time in youppieville for sure.
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 9:50 am | Edited by: Dave B

Dicks. DicksDicksDicksDicksDicksDicks.

Pho Cyclo is wayyyy better than Than Bros (Dutchess and I have had epic battles over this, centering mostly around the gross free cream puffs from TB)

See a show at the Funhouse

Fancy fusion-y Sushi: Wasabi Bistro (belltown)

Trad Sushi: Maneki (international district)

Ezells will hush a fried chikken jones, but it's no Gus's. The rolls are awesome. Get a dozen.

If you can get to Salumi do it, but it's tiny and they have crazy hours

The bacon at the 5-Point in freakin' huge (24 hours)

Tim From Fallout records opened a place in Ballard on 65th called Tiger Tail - really good asian-inspired small plates (get the pork belly), and a crazy selection of Japanese imported beers.

Since Fallout closed record shopping sucks, but you could hit Bop Street in Ballard. Ridiculous amounts of vinyl.

Get drugs on Capital Hill

Mexican food is, by and large, horrible, but Muy Macho in South Park is authentic and delicious. Also, taco trucks.

If you can, go to the Athenian bar in Pike Market. It's hard to find - look for the sign amongst the veggie booths. Been there for a million years, all beers are served in frosty mugs (the nickname for the place is actually "frosty mugs") and has an awesome view of the sound. But it closes at 5:30 or 6PM. Don't order the food, whatever you do.

okay.
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 10:05 am

I've wound up at Mama's a few times, which is better for drinking than eating, if you ask me.

Mama's is only good if a) you are already drunk or b) your body is cheese-deficient.
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 12:00 pm

Get drugs on Capital Hill

Actually, I say you get drugs under the Alaskan viaduct. They have everything there!!
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 2:15 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I saw a Gypsy Joker down in Georgetown my last trip there, so there's gotta be some crank running around down there. He was the cleanest Joker I'd ever seen though, so hard to tell. He looked like he'd had a shower within the past day and his colors looked brand new. He did have a gimped leg and a cane, but he had curly hair with product in it, almost Kenny G style...

I know there's drugs around Raineer beach!
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 5:52 pm

We're having a release show for the 2nd funhouse comp on the 15th -

Sat 3/15
- Funhouse Comp Release show/One By One Benefit -
Steel Tigers Of Death - http://www.myspace.com/steeltigersofdeath
Android Hero - http://www.myspace.com/androidhero
Warning Danger - http://www.myspace.com/warningdanger
Jaguar Paw - http://www.myspace.com/jaguarpawseattle
9:30pm, $5

http://www.thefunhouseseattle.com
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 1:54 am

b) your body is cheese-deficient.

My body is ALWAYS cheese-deficient. I also frequently lack tequila.
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 4:48 am

The bacon at the 5-Point in freakin' huge (24 hours)
Mmmm, bacon! Good burgers, reubens, eggs there too.

Only thing I've had there I didn't like was their corned beef hash. After corned beef hash at Alfred's Cafe in Tacoma, every other corned beef hash is shit, though.
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 4:55 am

If you can, go to the Athenian bar in Pike Market. It's hard to find - look for the sign amongst the veggie booths. Been there for a million years, all beers are served in frosty mugs (the nickname for the place is actually "frosty mugs") and has an awesome view of the sound. But it closes at 5:30 or 6PM. Don't order the food, whatever you do.

I love that joint. A friend of mine used to work there, but got canned cuz they wouldn't let him on the greyhound back to seattle for being drunk as hell.
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 12:59 pm

I thought that was shut down years ago. If it is still there, it is the last great bar in Seattle. I used to work in the market and I would sneak up there for a noon pint. Even though I worked in a brewery. Oh, that's kind of depressing to admit.
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 12:59 pm

"After corned beef hash at Alfred's Cafe in Tacoma, every other corned beef hash is shit, though."

word.

ct
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 5:47 pm

I worked a lot at a Verizon Wirless office on an ugly part of Aurora. There was a Wal-Mart or a KMart across the street & there was signs up about the area being high crime/high prostitution. We'd see condoms & syringes in the Wal-Mart parking lot when we'd go to the store on breaks.

Just a few blocks north on Aurora was Kid Valley burger & they were so fukkin' dope. Also, Tim's Cascade Jalapeno chips were snacking royalty.

sure you ain't talkin' 'bout the OK hotel

I'm talking about the club that was within walking distance from the Hooter's on Lake Union. I was first there in 2000 when I was traveling with Cheater Slicks & they were opening for Andre Williams. It would've been summer 2002 when I saw Country Teasers & Bassholes there.
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 9:20 pm

Graceland is now called El Corazon. I was at that show too!
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 4:37 am

on Lake Union
sounds kinda weird
the only club i recall near the hoots was the
lake union pub
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 4:37 am

El Corazon
woops
i missed it
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 4:43 am

Old Off-Ramp....
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 4:48 am

In other news, we just played the least-attended (but most rocking) show of the tour! Whatevs, San Diego. All the dudes are now lamenting saying no to the chick (who was at best 22) that offered up her parents house...Motel 6 is cool with me!!!
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 8:11 am

surprised none of you has mentioned the Lusty Lady just a couple of blocks down from the public market on 1st ave. one of the murder city devils used to work the door and the babes gave him plenty of time to beat his meat in one of the booths when he was on a an evening break.
some guys get all the perks.
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Good burgers, reubens, eggs there too.
i would drive 14 hours for a good reuben.
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 3:55 am

i would drive 14 hours
get outta that car
hop a train
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 4:03 am

I heard Seattle strip joints suck. I went to a fag bar with the Murder City Devils once. The Sea Wolf. Only fag bar I ever got my ass grabbed in.
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 10:45 am

plenty of time to beat his meat in one of the booths when he was on a an evening break.
some guys get all the perks

guys?
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 3:45 am

guys?
"she walks boom swaga boom boom"
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 11:55 am

Salumi, recommended by Rollie, is HIGHLY recommended, an authentic homemade-style italian deli.

I haven't checked out their calendars for the days you're visiting, but you can usually see great music at The Funhouse and The Comet.

A lot of people have recommended Ezel's and Dicks, and I couldn't agree more.

A lot of the really good places on Capitol Hill are gone (RIP Eilleens and Jade Pagoda!), but its still got a lot of really good energy late at night.

If you're a vinyl hound, there's a great little-known place (I don't even know their name) in the basement of the Neptune Theater in the U-District, lots of lp's, great selection, good prices, nice shopkeeps. Check it out.
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 6:55 pm

cultural, hit me up when you get up here.....I gots the weekend off and then i'll take ya out and feed you before I melt your brain in the rain.
bemorford@hotmail.com
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 9:31 am

If you're a vinyl hound, there's a great little-known place (I don't even know their name) in the basement of the Neptune Theater in the U-District

Is it Earth River Records?

Also, Shorty's rules!
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 11:36 am

I think that might be the place,... don't let the hippiedippy name fool you, they've got LOTS of great stuff there.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 6:08 pm

cultural, hit me up when you get up here.....I gots the weekend off and then i'll take ya out and feed you before I melt your brain in the rain.

You think it'll rain??? Ha! Gettin' excited about the weekend. I'll try to drop you a line when we get in, cousinb. Dick's, Shorty's, Earth River Records (what's with the name of this place?) all sound good to me. We're heading to SAM on Saturday. Maybe get some drinks afterwards.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Earth River Records (what's with the name of this place?)

I know, it really is a liability for 'em, isn't it? Once you go down the stairs and get a look at what they've got you'll forget all about that.

And, well, it's raining right now!

Just remembered too, another very interesting record store, especially if you like old 45's, is a place in the Wallingford neighborhood called 'Golden Oldies'. Except for a few random beat up used Cd's, it looks like the place hasn't changed since 1975. Unfortunately, their prices can be a little wacky, but it's worth checking out just to look around.... and there's a Dicks nearby!
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 7:01 pm

We're having a release show for the 2nd funhouse comp on the 15th -

Sat 3/15
- Funhouse Comp Release show/One By One Benefit -
Steel Tigers Of Death - http://www.myspace.com/steeltigersofdeath
Android Hero - http://www.myspace.com/androidhero
Warning Danger - http://www.myspace.com/warningdanger
Jaguar Paw - http://www.myspace.com/jaguarpawseattle
9:30pm, $5

That'll be a lot of rock for 5 bucks, I'd go if I didn't have work the next morning (or if I wasn't living up in fucking Edmonds!!! it's waaaay past time to get back downtown).

I saw Android Hero one night at the Comet when I went to see another band on the bill, enjoyed 'em, but I was pretty loaded at the time, so it's hard to say...
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks for all the fine suggestions. Dick\'s was a freakshow--got asked for money by 3 people standing in line, including the guy who had ordered ahead of us and didn't have enough scratch for a cheeseburger. Lava Lounge was alright--had a "soul" DJ on Friday night.

The mighty Head played on Friday night at the Comet, but I didn't see the flyer until Saturday morning. D'oh!

cousinb--you get my email?

The guy who works at the record store underneath the Neptune Theater is a cocksucker. He was a jerk when a little kid asked about a DVD and he accused me of "trashing the store" when I put a record back in the "D" section but didn't properly alphabetize it. Fuckin' dick.

Had some great Ethiopian and Pho on Capitol Hill.

Seattle rules!
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 3:12 pm

Green Leaf 418 8th ave

excellent place to reenact scenes from The Deerhunter
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 6:14 am

Seattle rules
guess you missed the record fair on sunday over at one of the rooms in the seattle center complex?

picked up a killer 45 by a dude called Johnny Zorro
thick and greasy instro on Jocko
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 6:18 am

got no email! are you gonna be here wed? The rippers from Italy are playing the funhouse.
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 11:47 am

got no email! are you gonna be here wed?

I was there last weekend. Damn it.
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 2:35 pm

A friend was telling me about a record shop called Zion's Gate (or something to that effect), that was all reggae and black metal. I've always thought this was a strange little juxtaposed niche. Is that place still going, and if so, is it worth the effort to visit? Might be heading to Seattle in the near future.
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 4:03 pm

Zion's Gate

Pretty sure I walked past it last on Pike or Pine St. last weekend. It was night time and the store was closed, so I didn't go in.
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 8:43 pm

Last time I was in Seattle I played a show at the Funhouse.. Some guy kept buying shots for "The Ramones Guy". (me).. Passed out at the bar carried out by Keith (r.i.p) and my girlfriend... Then my drummer starts yelling " I'm sick of your shit" While hitting me in the head with his bass pedal case.. Meanwhile my girlfriend is crying.. YOU ARE GONNA KILL HIM!!!!
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 2:35 am

" Just remember too,another very interesting record store,especailly if you like 45s,is a place in the Wallingford neighborhood called 'Golden Oldies'."

When i first moved to the NW,i stayed in Oly and would hang out at this record store after i found it! It seemed to attract the only non-pretentious people in town to its' block like a magnet. The manager was the original singer of the Accused (he's on the Accused/Rejectors split LP Pre- Martha Splatterhead) and he knew the girl i met in Flipside that got me to consider moving up here in the first place! He had an ad up looking for a keyboard player for his Surf band The Wrong Notes. I said i played keyz and soon we practiced.

He was in this band w/ the Manager of the Tacoma store and one of the main guys behind Drunks With Guns. I shit you not! We practiced at the Manager's house and he had an incredible record collection,complete w/ the largest selection of NW memoribilia and vinyl known on Earth! I found out later he was involved w/ the regional comps put out by Norton and i wasn't surprised.I practiced w/ 'em for about a month or so out of the three months i lived there before Portland. It eventually didn't work out because i just couldn't play the killer songs they wanted me to learn(cuz i can't really play keys). Fun while it lasted,though.

I guess all those guys are still down there but i haven't seen any of 'em in years. Tim from DWG evntually played in the Benedictions in the late 90s but i haven't seen him since. Jeff still lives in that house and i heard John lives in Lacey but can't confirm it.

Sorry to bore eveyone w/ all the namedropper shit but i guess this is an indirect enodrsement of the Wallingford location. I think the Oly shop closed. It's also something to bring up if you ever do the "South Sound Recommendations?" thread...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®